IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Quest KACE Systems Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Quest KACE Systems Management is #2 ranked solution in top Patch Management tools, #3 ranked solution in top Configuration Management tools, and #4 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools. PeerSpot users give Quest KACE Systems Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. Quest KACE Systems Management is most commonly compared to Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager: Quest KACE Systems Management vs Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Quest KACE Systems Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Quest KACE Systems Management Buyer's Guide

Download the Quest KACE Systems Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Quest KACE Systems Management?

Quest KACE Systems Management is a unified endpoint management solution that helps your organization address your endpoint management needs. The solution enables you to discover and track every device in your environment, keep compliance requirements up to date, secure your network from cyberthreats and attacks, and automate administrative tasks all from a single console.

Quest KACE Systems Management Features

Quest KACE Systems Management has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Comprehensive device coverage: With Quest KACE Systems Management, you have full management control of all operating systems, including MacOS, Windows, Chromebook, Linux, iOS, and Android.
  • Flexible configuration: Quest KACE Systems Management gives you the ability to define specific policies and administrative functions.
  • Reporting: The solution provides access to existing templates or gives you the option to build ad-hoc reports. Reports can also be customized to meet any compliance needs.
  • Patch management: This feature ensures your patching is always current and also enables you to secure your environment with automated patch identification and deployment.
  • Mobile device control: Quest KACE Systems Management allows you to remotely locate, reset passwords, lock, erase, or factory reset any enrolled mobile device.
  • Granular inventory: With the granular inventory feature, you can access a detailed inventory of data on each device in your environment. In addition, you can get automated deep-dive analysis when necessary.

Quest KACE Systems Management Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Quest KACE Systems Management. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Efficient: Quest KACE Systems Management eliminates the need to manually manage multiple solutions to achieve endpoint security, saving you time and making it an ideal and efficient solution for your organization.
  • Co-manage endpoints: Using Quest KACE Systems Management, you can co-manage both your traditional and modern endpoints, including Windows and Mac laptops, Linux, non-computer devices, servers, IoT, and iOS and Android mobile devices.
  • Easy-to-use interface: Quest KACE Systems Management is designed with a simple interface that offers powerful and consistent functionality.
  • Minimizes risk: Quest KACE Systems Management can easily locate or wipe any lost or stolen mobile device, minimizing risks for your organization.
  • Enhanced security: With Quest KACE Systems Management, your systems remain secure by identifying, inventorying, patching, and controlling all endpoints.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Quest KACE Systems Management solution.

Tim H., Laboringenieur, Computeringenieur at HTW Berlin, says, "The scripting part increases IT productivity because of the specialized software in our environments for students' courses. You need to use software which is not programmed by developers. A lot of software for building houses or other things is developed by normal guys, who do not have much skill in programming. When you need to install this type of software, it is very difficult. You have to install registry keys, etc. For that, it is very good to use the scripting part of this solution. So, you can automate this part as well."

Chris H., Director of IT at CCOF, mentions, "The big pros of Quest KACE Systems Management are its simple interface, and simple, direct management. It's very easy to maintain and manage the device, and it's easy to get it up and running. You can have it up and running in an hour."

Quest KACE Systems Management was previously known as Dell KACE Systems Management.

Quest KACE Systems Management Customers

Waypoint, Mattos Filho, Meetic, Gems Education, Green Clinic HealthSystem, Service King

Quest KACE Systems Management Video

Archived Quest KACE Systems Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good service desk ticketing and asset management features

What is our primary use case?

We use KACE for patching.

What is most valuable?

I am impressed by the service desk ticketing and asset management.

What needs improvement?

I've had some issues with patch catalogue, which seems to have expired. Quite a few people have reported that they are struggling with it.

I have been using Quest KACE Systems Management for three months now.
Quest KACE Systems Management
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Quest KACE Systems Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The program is very stable.

We only have three people using this program in our company, but I believe it is scalable. I don't think we will increase our usage soon, though.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was quite complex and I really struggled. It took me around 15 minutes to complete the setup, because it was a trail-based version.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this program an eight out of ten. I will recommend it to others because it is simple and understandable.

it_user798876 - PeerSpot reviewer
Associate Director -Head of ICT with 51-200 employees
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to have an overview of all devices that are accessing our environment."
  • "I think it should have the ability to have the applications automatically update. It would be really helpful if this would override what the user might choose to do."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to help us obtain accreditation in the UK of Cyber Essentials Plus. It is a program that is sponsored by the UK government which encourages UK companies to obtain a certain level of cyber-security within their cyber environment. The Quest KACE product helps us get an overview of all IoT(Internet of Things) devices that are accessing our environment.

Less than one year.

The initial setup was straightforward. There were some excellent step-by-step instructions sent to us. The instructions were also accompanied by videos, which were very informative.

It was a very attractive price. This is a huge feature of this product. If you would "credit score" this product versus others out there on the market, this one has a very attractive price.

We also looked out VMware Airwatch and MobileIron. But, we chose KACE. It just made more sense for us.

Quest KACE Systems Management
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kevin Baldwin - PeerSpot reviewer
PC Technician at Cape Fear Community College
This product made the job easy to do, without having to go put hands on the machines. This made things more convenient and more efficient
  • "This product made the job easy to do without having to go put hands on the machines."
  • "The ability to push an image to a machine, wake that image up, and just blast a new image to a computer without even having to touch it, and then push the software to that machine. This just made things so much more convenient for us and so much more efficient."
  • "The only hiccups we had were some power issues, where the box was a little under-powered early on."
  • "Imaging becomes a problem when you start to try to go beyond doing more than thirty or forty machines at a time. We initially tried to do that virtually and it just, it wouldn't work."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for using this product is as a ticketing solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This product made the job easy to do without having to go put hands on the machines.

What is most valuable?

I love the integration with Bomgar. It really helped a lot.

The way we were set up, we had multiple campuses across multiple counties. And even with just our downtown campus, you're looking at fifteen different buildings, a hundred different classrooms, and offices everywhere. So for us, the ability to push an image to a machine, wake that image up, and just blast a new image to a computer without even having to touch it, and then push the software to that machine. This just made things so much more convenient for us and so much more efficient than having to go find that machine, pull that machine out, take it back to the shop, and repair it from there.

Just having those tools made the job so much easier and so much more efficient. But they really just don't need the people that they used to have ten years ago.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem we had with Quest KACE, with the K2000, imaging becomes a problem when you start to try to go beyond doing more than thirty or forty machines at a time. We initially tried to do that virtually and it just, it wouldn't work.

But that one physical appliance was enough to get us through and once we got the one K2000 physical appliance that was plenty to handle imaging whatever we needed. As far as the K1000, our original purchase was underpowered. We really didn't have the box we should have had for over three thousand nodes, but when it came time to upgrade that box, we got a box that was much more in tune to having over three thousand nodes on that system and it's been doing fantastic for almost three years now. We haven't had any problems.

Three to five years.

Overall, the stability has been pretty good. We we were using the Quest KACE on the front end, and then we had a Samba share on the back end that we were using for storage for all of our imaging and for all of our software. There were some issues with how we were doing things on the Samba side versus how they were connecting that to the K box, so there was some issues, but it wasn't anything that was Quest KACE's problem and Quest KACE has done everything that could possibly do to help us work the bugs out. But ultimately it was mismanagement on our end of people not knowing what they were doing and how they were supposed to be administrating the box.

It was really just as simple as buying the licenses as we needed it. As far as man power goes when I first started there, there was four technicians doing roughly 3,300 machines.

They were always fantastic. We dealt mainly with one tech support representative, and he was always spot on. We had some issues early on that I guess they didn't anticipate, and we worked closely with Dell, when Dell owned it, to work out some bugs that were huge for Dell. And because we were early adapters, we were kind of like Beta testers for some things that they eventually got a chance to role out to everybody else.  At first, USB imaging didn't work and then we worked with tech support for a while to get that ironed out and once we got that taken care of, it all got rolled into a new update and then it worked. The tech support staff was just phenomenal.

When I first started at my office, everything was done through Novell. At that time, we didn't have the ease of pushing software and remoting into the devices as we did with Quest KACE.

We also used another solution that wasn't exactly secure - it was touted as a secure solution but there had been some issues. It had been hacked before. And we were starting to get into an area where we were having outside vendors ask us for access into our network, so that started to become a concern for us.

It was easy. The team of the company came in, and helped us set it up.

The initial implementation was through Dell. They were excellent.

If the professionals make a recommendation, consider it. Really, seriously, consider it, because there were some things we didn't do with Quest KACE that we should have, and it  really hurt us in the long run. Even going back as far as active directory, there was some things that we didn't do with active directory that we were told by Microsoft engineers that this is what you need to do with active directory. Six, seven years later, we're looking at a network of two hundred almost VLANs. So, implementation of KACE was fairly smooth for us. If we would have done things exactly the way they would have told us to, which would have included flattening the network, like the Microsoft engineer told us to do when we went to active directory, things would have been even more smooth. We wouldn't have problems with wake-on-LAN, we wouldn't have problems with our scripting, we wouldn't have had problems with our SAMBA share. It would have been so much easier down the road to listen to the professionals and do exactly what they suggested we do, but because we had people who thought they were smarter than the professionals, we had some pains with implementation.

It may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Nothing against Microsoft, but everybody I talk to, who has ever dealt with Microsoft SCCM, has ever dealt with Quest KACE. And, in comparison, it's just more user friendly, easier to integrate and it's just such a more elegant solution. It may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for, you know?

We also looked at Spiceworks. A lot of people on our team liked it because it is a free product. They were still working on their whole footing, trying to get everything worked out with that. But with Quest KACE, t had so many other things to offer. You know, with the ability to include the K2000 and K3000, which interested us.

What other advice do I have?

The only hiccups we had were some power issues, where the box was a little under-powered early on. But, as far as having instances of bugs, or anything like that, the box ran great, as long as we left everything alone.

Download our free Quest KACE Systems Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022