IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Qlik Sense OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Qlik Sense is #1 ranked solution in top Embedded BI Tools and #3 ranked solution in top Data Visualization tools. PeerSpot users give Qlik Sense an average rating of 10 out of 10. Qlik Sense is most commonly compared to Tableau: Qlik Sense vs Tableau. Qlik Sense is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 80% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is Qlik Sense?

Qlik Sense is a visual analytics and business intelligence (BI) platform that gives users full control over their system’s data. From this platform they can control every aspect of their system data. It maximizes an organization’s ability to make decisions driven by their data.

Benefits of Qlik Sense

Some of the benefits of using Qlik Sense include:

• Easily manipulate data: Qlik Sense allows users to easily combine and otherwise manipulate their system’s data. It allows them to create interactive visual representations of your datasets. The many different ways that the data can be represented offer many potential options for how to analyze the data. These choices enable users to easily gain critical insights.
  • Easily automate alerts and routine actions: Qlik Sense enables users to keep a close eye on their data. Automatic alerts that will notify them if their data changes in any way. Users don’t need expert knowledge of coding to create automated data-driven events. Users of all experience levels can take advantage of this benefit. Qlik Sense enables routine actions to be automated when necessary data insights will spur the system to take action. This combination of analytics and other tools empower users to take charge of their data.
  • Customize reporting: Users can set Qlik Sense to generate custom reports. These reports can also be customized to be shared by way of one of several methods, allowing users to control who sees their data and what they see.

Reviews from Real Users

Qlik Sense stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its associative analytics technology and its remote access capability. Qlik Sense employs an associative analytics engine that gives users the ability to take their data analytics to the next level. Users can create visual connections between different datasets spread across their network, creating deep insights that enable users to gain a full understanding of their data. This engine is easily scaled up to allow a large number of users to benefit from the deep insights that it provides. Users can access Qlik Sense from anywhere in the world. Qlik Sense has an online portal that can be used consistently from anywhere at all. Having the ability to remotely analyze data gives users flexibility when it comes to choosing how to deploy their manpower.

Jarno L., the managing director of B2IT, writes, “The associative technology features are the solution's most valuable aspects. Qlik was the first company to implement an in-memory associative analytics engine. This basically means that all data is loaded into memory, but it also means that instead of joining data together, the data is associated together. From the front end, from the user interface point of view, data can be joined or included or excluded on the fly. It can be drilled down and drilled through and users can slice and dice it and that type of thing can be done from anywhere in the data to any other place in the data. It doesn't have to be predefined. It doesn't have to have hierarchies or anything like that.”

Tami S., the senior business intelligence analyst at the La Jolla Group, writes, “With the changing business landscape, it is nice to access Qlik Sense through an external website. As an organization when we use QlikView Desktop, we need to connect to our internal network. We can access QlikView through the QlikView access point but the website has a little different look and feel than the desktop application. We appreciate that Qlik Sense is browser-based and the user experience is the same whether at home, in the office or on a boat. As long as the user has internet access, performance is the same.”

Qlik Sense was previously known as QlikSense.

Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide

Download the Qlik Sense Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Qlik Sense Customers

Abbvie, Airbus, Barclays, BT Openreach, BMW, Daimler AG, HSBC, IKEA, Nationwide Building Society, Royal Mail Group, Sanofi, Siemens, Wendy'', Vodafone, Volvo

Qlik Sense Video

Qlik Sense Reviews

Jarno Loubser - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at B2IT
Reseller
Great UI, good data parsing capabilities and very good scalability
  • "Qlik was the first company to implement an in-memory associative analytics engine. This basically means that all data is loaded into memory, but it also means that instead of joining data together, the data is associated together. From the front end, from the UI point of view, data can be joined or included or excluded on the fly. It can be drilled down and drilled through and users can slice and dice it and that type of thing can be done from anywhere in the data to any other place in the data. It doesn't have to be predefined. It doesn't have to have hierarchies or anything like that."
  • "The solution needs to make improvements to the licensing model. They need to make it more affordable at scale, and to make it more affordable for those companies at the low end of the market as well."

What is our primary use case?

I would say general business analytics is the primary use of this solution. Anything from Finance files, HR, Operations, Manufacturing, Mining, etc. It's not specific to any use case, but I would say it is used for general all-purpose business analytics.

What is most valuable?

The associative technology is the solution's most valuable aspect. Qlik was the first company to implement an in-memory associative analytics engine. This basically means that all data is loaded into memory, but it also means that instead of joining data together, the data is associated together. From the front end, from the UI point of view, data can be joined or included or excluded on the fly. It can be drilled down and drilled through and users can slice and dice it and that type of thing can be done from anywhere in the data to any other place in the data. It doesn't have to be predefined. It doesn't have to have hierarchies or anything like that.

What needs improvement?

The real-time capabilities need to be improved. What I mean is, the solution needs to have the ability to leave the data where it is. This is actually something that Qlik has been working to solve, however, traditionally, the way that 99% of Qlik customers use the product is in an offline data cache. This means data gets copied into Qlik, into this Associative In-Memory Engine and then the analysis can be done.  Obviously, that means data is duplicated. It also requires a certain lead time, from the time the data is changed to when the data is available in Qlik. Traditionally, that was something that was a little bit of a hurdle for customers.  My understanding is that Qlik is working on several features in this area. They acquired some new products. For example, they acquired a product called Utility in the last nine months or so, which has fixed the real-time data replication change, data capture, that type of thing. I don't think I can think of any new features it needs right now. The solution needs to make improvements to the licensing model. They need to make it more affordable at scale, and to make it more affordable for those companies at the low end of the market as well.

I've been using the solution for four or so years.
Qlik Sense
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Qlik Sense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a very stable product. I haven't had any issues with it. I can't recall facing bugs or glitches. The solution hasn't crashed.

The solution does scale wonderfully. From a technology point of view, the system is quite scalable, horizontally and vertically. You can add more nodes into the system, and you can load balance between nodes and you can of course scale in particular by increasing capacity on the nodes.  I would say one of the things that hinders scalability a little bit is the licensing models, which is mainly per user, which at scale can become quite expensive.

Our team is extremely technically proficient because we've been around the Qlik product set for many years. It's not that common for us to need support from Qlik. If I have to be honest, in the last couple of years, their support has been okay when we needed it. I wouldn't say it's great. It's a little bit slow and unresponsive sometimes. The last issue we had had to do with accessing the system via Apple devices with SSL certificates. The problem we had was that we implemented it for the customer with an additional security measure. It was a reverse proxy with its own SSL certificate and that used to work and then stopped working and Qlik hasn't been able to really help us to troubleshoot it properly. It was a nonstandard solution as far as they concerned. They ended up responding and helping us within about 24 hours.

The initial setup is quite straightforward and happens quickly. Deployment typically takes a couple of weeks. It could take longer in certain instances. When I say deployment I'm not talking about installing the software. That's installing the software and developing the first solution. Most of the time implementation is only done by one person. Obviously, on the larger projects, it can take a few more staff members. For the most part, it's a one-person project and the system is not too complex to configure and set up. Normally the BI Developer is also the BI Administrator and the BI Configurator. Maintenance would not be a full-time job. One person can handle it part-time.

We help our clients implement and deploy the solution if they require our assistance.

My understanding is that there is just a license fee. I don't believe there are ancillary costs on top of that. It may not be an affordable option for smaller organizations, however, It's more suited to larger companies due to the costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We do implementation and deployment as well. All types of businesses use the product, from small to large enterprises. Company sizes range from a few people to thousands of active employees. Qlik Sense, of course, is a new product that sort-of replaces QlikView. A lot of our customers are still using QlikView. Therefore, we are still using the product, but we're not actively selling it anymore. We are supporting it because all new customers are Qlik Sense. While we mostly deal with on-premises deployments, the cloud is quickly becoming more popular and has just become available for this solution recently. The advice I would give to other organizations would be kind of general. For BI projects, the trick is to start with the business value and then find the data to support the business value. Don't try to start with the data and then try and find the business value for that data. The tool really is a good tool and you can do almost anything with it, but just using the tool is not going to deliver value to your customers. You need to help your customer find business value in what they want to do and then deliver the solution for them. I would probably give the solution a nine out of ten. The reason being that it is a product that offers real value to businesses and it offers it fast.

IS Sr Reporting Specialist at Community Health Network of Connecticut, Inc.
User
Easy to use, provides a self-service environment, and offers high performance
  • "From siloed reports, we went to a centralized knowledge hub, combining cross-functional data, and helping decision-makers see the data as a whole, therefore making more informed decisions."
  • "Ad-hoc reporting capabilities would be ideal."

What is our primary use case?

The primary solution was to provide a centralized way to access siloed cross-functional reports.

By using Qlik Sense, we were able to combine data from our BI solution, ERP, and other systems, to provide daily reports, plus analytics capabilities with high performance.

As Qlik Sense is an in-memory solution, the performance is fast and provides real-time insights.

Also, with their ETL capability, we were able to perform ETL without a true data warehouse. It saved us a lot of money by being able to postpone the DW project and gave us time to think of other solutions, like data lakes.

How has it helped my organization?

Also, the self-service capability allowed users to create their own reports on the fly. People from different departments were pulling their data from different sources and presenting their own truth.

With Qlik Sense, and being able to provide a central data hub, we were able to recreate most of the siloed reports, present one truth on the data, and increase the trust of the organization in the data being presented, gaining leadership approval.

What is most valuable?

The ETL capability is great. It facilitated the integration of data from different sources without a true data warehouse. Being able to pull data directly from the ERP system and apply the business rules in Qlik, and combine it with the BI data, decreased the business process time. We had to send every request over to our overseas BI team. Being able to have at least one BI resource in-house who is an expert in Qlik, we decrease the development time and started delivering solutions in a much more timely manner.

The ease of use, providing a self-service environment, and high performance when interacting with the dashboards and reports are all great.

What needs improvement?

Ad-hoc reporting capabilities would be ideal. Despite the solution being a self-service solution, many users still struggle to create their reports. With an easy drag-and-drop style report, it would make a huge difference. There are extensions for that, however, you have to pay them separately.

Having a report publication feature is also very important, and it is not native to the on-prem version. However, Qlik has made huge advancements on the cloud version, and adding the hybrid capabilities, in which we can maintain the data in-house and just publish the dashboards to the cloud, will allow us to soon go to the cloud and have access to all those extra features we are missing on-prem.

I've used the solution for seven years.

The product is very stable. They release three to four updates every year. That way, if bugs come up, they are fixing them in a timely manner. They always listen to the user community and tend to develop what is being requested.

The solution is very scalable, especially the cloud version. Their licensing agreement works really well for large organizations.

The initial support has to come from the vendors, which is something I don't like much, as it can be costly. However, I believe they are starting to provide direct support in certain cases. The use of the Qlik Community is fantastic, as they have experts providing solutions and fixes in a timely manner as well.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

SAP Business Objects. They were very expensive and lacked the dashboard capability side of it. It was also very complex and needed more internal resources. Every request would take longer for it to be developed as well.

The setup was very straightforward. The setup is done through 3rd-party vendors, so you just need to make sure you spend a little more and hire an experienced consulting company for the work.

We implemented it via a vendor. Having the knowledge of experienced consultants doing the work is worth it and can prevent huge delays and problems.

I am not really sure about the full ROI numbers, however, compared to what we would have spent with the DW development, and increased headcount, we would have spent a lot more money. As I said, their licensing plan makes it very simple and cost-effective when we need to add more users.

I'd advise users to go to the cloud. If you can, go directly to the SaaS version. From a cost perspective, it was cheaper than other solutions - and better. Now it might seem more expensive, however, with all the features available, and being able to create a full data pipeline, it makes more sense using Qlik Sense.

We also looked into Power BI and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely go to the cloud. Use the SaaS solution as it offers more capabilities and you don't need to be concerned about the back-end management. If fully going to the cloud is not possible, think of a hybrid solution.

Qlik Sense
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tami Svensrud - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Business Intelligence Analyst at La Jolla Group
Enabled us to quickly adapt to the business and department needs during COVID
  • "With the changing business landscape, it is nice to access Qlik Sense through an external website. As an organization when we use QlikView Desktop, we need to connect to our internal network. We can access QlikView through the QlikView access point but the website has a little different look and feel than the desktop application."
  • "Reload failure alerts on the application within the Qlik Management Console without any use of extensions. QlikView is able to handle these alerts directly through the QlikView Management Console. We would appreciate a similar solution that is easy to set up and use. Simple formatting options in the pivot and straight tables such as adjusting line thickness and font selection and size."

What is our primary use case?

We are in apparel manufacturing. Individual Qlik Sense Apps were designed for each department: Retail, Warehouse, Sales, Finance, Production, and Operations. We are able to utilize data from our ERP, PLM, and retail applications. We use QlikView as well but Qlik Sense has been leveraged to allow departments to digest the data in a more targeted approach. It has a cleaner look and our users have been pleased with the solution. We added N Printing recently and have the trifecta of the BI solutions from Qlik.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted the Ikea approach where users defined what they wanted to see and we implemented solutions based on their needs. This allowed the departments to stay engaged with the tool. From our Business Intelligence department experience, we developed best practices and new visualizations to collaborate with the departments. This was rolled out beginning of January 2020. It was a good exercise in flexibility to use Qlik Sense to quickly adapt to the business and department needs during COVID. We are still making improvements every day to the Apps and will shift our focus to training to gain more user adoption.

What is most valuable?

With the changing business landscape, it is nice to access Qlik Sense through an external website. As an organization when we use QlikView Desktop, we need to connect to our internal network. We can access QlikView through the QlikView access point but the website has a little different look and feel than the desktop application. We appreciate that Qlik Sense is browser-based and the user experience is the same whether at home, in the office or on a boat. As long as the user has internet access, performance is the same.

What needs improvement?

Reload failure alerts on the application within the Qlik Management Console without any use of extensions. QlikView is able to handle these alerts directly through the QlikView Management Console. We would appreciate a similar solution that is easy to set up and use. Simple formatting options in the pivot and straight tables such as adjusting line thickness and font selection and size. This can be done with extensions, but without knowledge of JSON and/or HTML these can be difficult to use. We would like to add images using inherent Qlik Sense without the use of extensions.

I have been using Qlik Sense for less than a year.

Overall the stability is good. We have not had many crashes and are able to add memory to solve most performance issues.

It is easy to scale and buy a license, however, the solution is very memory intensive. More users and more data can lead to degraded performance and longer processing times to run reports.

Our interactions have all been through our vendor partner and they reach out on our behalf when needed.

We currently use SSRS and QlikView in addition to Qlik Sense. We like to enhance our offering. SSRS reports can take much longer to develop than Qlik reports.

Since we already had QlikView, the setup was very simple. All additional setups have been intuitive.

We used a combination of both. Our vendor team partners have over 20 years of experience with Qlik and specific to our industry there expertise is unparalleled.

We have not mapped out a true ROI. If we compare what it costs to build out using consultants in SSRS versus internally building in Qlik, saving are in the tens of thousands.

It is a flexible tool and has the ability to scale. Pricing is reasonable. Our setup was very easy as we utilized what was already built-in Qlik View.

We were already using SSRS and Qlik View and have some fairly extensive data models built-in QlikView so we wanted to leverage our existing efforts. We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy with Qlik and the solutions they offer. Like any system, it is not perfect but it allows for great flexibility and ease of use.

Solution Architect at HSBC
User
Customizable with good ROI and a quick learning curve
  • "The extensibility of the Platform with either internally created extensions or the use of third-party provided items really opens the platform up."
  • "More focus needs to be on data streaming/real-time data reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 primary uses:

1. Technology-created, defined story-driven analytics providing Dashboarding to users that allow drill-down of information to pre-created aggregation levels.

2. Self-service reporting that allows data SMEs to create and manage their own visualizations.

Both use cases are heavily catered for in our business, and we have 80,000+ users across the company.

Utilizing the Qlik API layer, and a set of React components we are also able to embed Qlik reporting into existing web applications providing fantastic opportunities to bring multiple data sets together into highly customizable portals.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided much more widely available MI to senior stakeholders. Before rolling out Qlik Sense, much of the reporting was completed from incredibly manual spreadsheets or old and slow COGNOS reports.

Qlik Sense has opened up a new quick-to-market BI tool, that allows business requirements to become a production-ready reality within days rather than months.

Qlik Sense lends itself very well to creating large centrally managed platforms to make better use of scalability. This reduces direct infrastructure requirements, leading to more sustainable solutions.

What is most valuable?

Drag and drop objects create a quick learning curve to create basic reports that still provide business benefits.

Continued development for on-premises versions to enable companies with more restricted data sets that cannot move to Saas/cloud solutions to still benefit from new product enhancements

Ability to highly customize infrastructure/environment set-ups to open huge possibilities.

What needs improvement?

More focus needs to be on data streaming/real-time data reporting. This is currently too slow to use outside of very small data sets.

More focus on CI/CD integration is needed. Having Dashboards stored as very static binary files does not lead itself well to the modern DevSecOps standards and processes.

To compete with other tools in the sector, more focus on the commenting/feedback abilities of users would be beneficial. For example, at an object level, be able to have users add comments to certain data points that other users can view and also comment back on.

We have been using Qlik Sense in various guises since version 3.1 - for about 6 to 7 years now.

The tool scales with infra fairly well. For performant applications on large data volumes, utilizing tooling to hold applications in memory leads to the best results, however, it also requires large infrastructure to support.

Prior to Qlik Sense, we were using QlikView, and shifting to Qlik Sense provided a much more modern architecture. Prior to QlikView, COGNOS was heavily leveraged.

The switch moved us from a very manual, spreadsheet/PowerPoint-based reporting to a much more fluid, dynamic, and interactive solution.

An in-house team was used. Having existing Qlik product knowledge helped make this viable. However, I am aware of other teams within our organization who have used vendor teams to great success as well.

The ROI is high as there are large financial reporting solutions built into Qlik. They have brought large money-saving insights from data and visualizations.

Economies of scale come into play very quickly, especially with no enterprise/infrastructure-specific licensing for Qlik Sense.

With on-premise solutions, there can be a requirement for some heavy hardware, however, moving into the cloud means this can be reduced.

Tableau, PowerBI, and Looker were all reviewed and clear choices brought Qlik Sense out on top.

Its ability to score highly across the board makes it the best all-around tool, although the others score higher in very specific areas.

Google
Marcelo Galano Nuñez - PeerSpot reviewer
Analytics Technician at Eurofragance SLU
Easy to use with good customer support but on-premises models need better pricing options
  • "The visualizations are good and keep improving."
  • "They need to make security rules to access applications and data security easier and customizable."

What is our primary use case?

I've been an user for many years and also a developer that's working as a consultant. I use Qlik to develop apps to extract, load, and transform data from different sources and then use this data to make apps for different departments in my organization.

I am a consumer of this data as well, as I work for the Controlling Department. We also use NPrinting to send reports to different people in the organization and this saves us a lot of time on manual tasks.

We extract data from: SAP, SQL DB, Excels, Success Factors, Sharepoint, Oracle, and more.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense is highly used in my organization as it helps our users to derive insights from the data accurately.

The visualization objects in Qlik Sense are really good and interactive and help my users to get an understanding of the whole story behind the data.

Unlike query-based BI tools, the associative model of Qlik Sense has helped them a lot in deriving insights and metrics for the business. Also, it has helped to reduce the time consumed in doing complex reports and sending them to different people.

What is most valuable?

Qlik Sense has a lot of features that I find valuable.

It's easy to use. As a user, you can learn the basics very quickly and they provide you with free material that makes it easy to learn.

As a developer the tool is easy to learn as well. They keep making improvements to make it easier for users to make their own reports without knowing too much about coding.

You can accurately manage a large volume of data in less time.

Qlik Sense uses an in-memory data model.

It can read a wide range of different sources.

The visualizations are good and keep improving.

The customer support is very good.

What needs improvement?

I would love to see some improvements in the following areas:

• They need to make it easy to generate documentation of apps, giving information about legacy.
  • They need to make security rules to access applications and data security easier and customizable.
  • I would love it if they could make a "recycle bin" as users sometimes may delete an app and then cannot recover it unless they have made a backup of the server recently.
  • There needs to be better pricing options for on-premises clients Right now, they are focusing more on SaaS.
  • NPrinting needs more enhancements in its configuration and error handling.

I've used the solution for more than five years.

We've never had problems with stability due to the fact that we use an on-premises deployment.

The scalability is very good.

Technical support is very good and quite fast; they have always provided help when I needed it.

We did not use a different solution previously.

It's really easy to install and they make it easier each year.

In some companies yes, we did get help and they were very capable.

We have not measured ROI.

I'd advise that users always try to have more RAM than they think they will need to make it easier to expand in the future. This also applies for CPU cores.

We did look at Power BI.

Péter Fábián - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Analyst at H-Hotels.com
Helped handle the high cancellation rate in hotel management and slowly rearrange to the normal, pre-crisis level of bookings
  • "Unique data visualizations created based on - among others - customer reviews and hands-on experience. Qlik is an experienced company in the Business Intelligence / Data visualization area, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best solution, however, based on my personal experience it is much more complex than Power BI and Tableau as I've had some things to do with these two concurrent softwares."
  • "Even though a huge set of learning material is available, anyone starting his/her journey on learning the software doesn't even know where to start it. The so-called Continous Classroom service is not cheap, but there are many free tutorials, they are not sorted or enlisted adequately though."

What is our primary use case?

During the COVID-19 crisis, we used our live dataset to be visualized adequately by Qlik Sense and present them to the leadership in order to let them make the best decisions. As it turned out, they had to concentrate more and more on the never-seen-before cancellation rate in the hotel industry, and besides turning the deposit - where it was possible based on the contract - into cash-flow. Even though there were obviously many other factors on the spectrum, which couldn't have been influenced by our decisionmaking, Qlik helped a lot during this uncertain period.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helped handle the high cancellation rate in the hotel management and slowly rearrange to the normal, pre-crisis level of bookings. Parallel it forced the company to figure out new plans to boost the new reservations, and since the outcomes of these ideas could have been translated into data, we had a chance to measure and visualize them with Qlik Sense, helping us select the best methods in the long term and turn off the ideas that didn't function as well as it was planned before.

What is most valuable?

Unique data visualizations created based on - among others - customer reviews and hands-on experience. Qlik is an experienced company in the Business Intelligence / Data visualization area, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best solution, however, based on my personal experience it is much more complex than Power BI and Tableau as I've had some things to do with these two concurrent softwares. Even though you need to learn a programming language similar to SQL to bring out the most of it, it's totally worth it.

What needs improvement?

Moreover, I'd personally be delighted with a hover function over the certain buttons in an app, I'm sure it will soon be a part of the package like many other ideas coming directly from customers and developers.

More than 1 year.

The enterprise version is stable, the desktop version was a bit messy, but only a couple of times.

Technical support could be better, but we don't need to contact them so often.

We previously used Tableau and Power BI, I switched companies, not solutions, but I'm personally happy with Qlik Sense due to its complexity compared to the others.

A 3rd party company created the first apps then we learned the programming language by ourselves and based on the created apps.

We implemented with a highly expertised vendor team.

ROI cannot be exactly measured, but I'm sure it's worth it.

A 3rd party company to create the first apps could be useful, if affordable.

Other
Aaron Seaman - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Pekin Insurance
Gives our business users the ability to author their own sheets and share insights they have found
  • "The number of visualizations that are present in Qlik is very useful for our developers to help our business partners tell stories with their data. Qlik continues to add to and enhance these visualizations with each release. We are also very excited to leverage the integration between Qlik Sense and Qlik Catalog as we roll that out soon."
  • "I would like to see Qlik add more DevOps functionality to their product. Currently, we have to turn to 3rd party products to handle things like Source Control, Code Deployment through environments, etc."

What is our primary use case?

Over the last two years, we have worked to modernize our company's data platform using technologies such as Qlik Sense to help deliver insight to our business partners. Prior to Qlik, our users had to depend on data extracted from our mainframe and loaded into various excel spreadsheets and access databases. Today, we have the ability to not only replace those antiquated methods, we can help our users look at data from many different angles. We are currently using an on-prem solution but will be moving to AWS next year.

How has it helped my organization?

Our executives and business users are starting to see how having the ability to analyze data and not just view reports can help them make decisions to help improve the business. We have started on our journey to become a data-driven and data-literate company. Qlik has been partnering with us to help us along that journey. The only roadblock has been our underlying data warehouse. However, we are looking to move that to Snowflake this year. Qlik and Snowflake have a partnership that should pay off greatly for us.

What is most valuable?

Qlik Sense allows the ingestion of all of our various data source platforms. It also gives our business users the ability to author their own sheets and share insights they have found. The number of visualizations that are present in Qlik is very useful for our developers to help our business partners tell stories with their data. Qlik continues to add to and enhance these visualizations with each release. We are also very excited to leverage the integration between Qlik Sense and Qlik Catalog as we roll that out soon.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see Qlik add more DevOps functionality to their product. Currently, we have to turn to 3rd party products to handle things like Source Control, Code Deployment through environments, etc. This should align with the DataOps focus Qlik has been moving towards with all of their latest acquisitions, such as Attunity and Podium. Without 3rd party products, managing code, promoting it from one environment to the next, rolling back code, allowing shared development workspaces, all are very challenging and manual with the out of the box solution.

I have been using Qlik Sense for two years.

Qlik has built in good fail-over mechanisms which help keep the platform stable.

I believe Qlik scales well, both on-prem as well as in the Cloud.

Customer support has been very helpful. Their support site has a vast wealth of support articles to help troubleshoot known issues.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. We had a Qlik employee come onsite to help with the initial installation and setup.

We used a Qlik employee to do our initial implementation. They were quite knowledgeable about the product.

I believe the ROI has been and will continue to be achieved by unlocking our data and providing new insights to our business to help drive decisions to improve our company's performance.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Khuzema Tikiwala - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Enterprise Analytics & Business Intelligence at Meritor
Powerful data engine and insight advisor that promotes data-driven decision-making
  • "We can bring data from multiple sources and easily blend it in Qlik and create a data model (star schema)."
  • "Error handling is an area that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Qlik Sense as a Corporate Analytical Tool. It is used by every functional group for creating their dashboards including but not limited to Supply Chain, Purchasing, Finance, Operations, Quality, Engineering, Warranty, Legal, etc.

We are using Qlik as a self-service analytics tool. We are using Qlik to implement some of the self-service processes, too.

We also use Qlik NPrinting to complement our Qlik Sense environment. This is mainly used for automated report bursting based on certain conditions. This takes away a lot of the manual process of creating Excel-based files on a recurring basis.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik brought awareness to data-driven decision-making. More and more people in the organization are now motivated to use analytics (dashboards built-in to Qlik) for their data and reporting needs. We were able to eliminate lots of Excel files and lots of manual processes used for data acquisition and manipulation that were happening on a recurring basis.

The best impact was during COVID. We were very quickly able to create a COVID war room to keep a track of our customer and supplier operation and start our operation in a safe mode and then align it with customer and supplier Ops.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is Qlik's data engine, as it is so much better than other tools. We can bring data from multiple sources and easily blend it in Qlik and create a data model (star schema).

The insight adviser is another high point because it makes it so much easier to communicate with your data. Users are able to create their own sheets and do their own analysis without worrying about data acquisition and data quality. The addition of natural language search has made this a lot more user-friendly and has opened up a lot of use cases.

What needs improvement?

Error handling is an area that needs to be improved. There is not much help on that and some of the error messaging is not very helpful. On many occasions, we have struggled to figure out what's wrong, as the error message did not help and we had to go through the hoops of going to a Qlik partner and then going to the support.

Provide some built-in functionality to migrate apps from one environment to another and make it easy for organizations that are pushing for self-service analytics.

I would like to see them make the Hub better in terms of usability, like adding personal preferences, favorites, etc.

I have been using Qlik Sense for three years.

Yes, we used a different visualization tool before Qlik. At the time we made the switch, we did a comprehensive evaluation based on a list of our success criteria and Qlik scored more points compared to other tools. Some areas where Qlik scored more are data load, security and performance.

We evaluated Power BI and Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to just look for what your organization's needs are. Every org is different and may need different licensing and architecture.

Just go and use Qlik. You will never look back. Happy Dashboarding !!!