IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Planview Projectplace OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Planview Projectplace is #5 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. PeerSpot users give Planview Projectplace an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Planview Projectplace is most commonly compared to Planview PPM Pro: Planview Projectplace vs Planview PPM Pro. Planview Projectplace is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
Planview Projectplace Buyer's Guide

Download the Planview Projectplace Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Planview Projectplace?

By combining online team collaboration tools with powerful project management software, Projectplace provides everything you and your dispersed team needs to manage group projects and complete daily tasks. Start a free trial and see how easy it is to plan team projects, schedule tasks, collaborate on documents, and track your team’s progress using integrated Kanban boards, Gantt charts, and communication tools.

Planview Projectplace was previously known as Projectplace.

Planview Projectplace Customers

Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Florida Virtual Campus, Amazing.com, 2degrees NZ, Kendrick Content & Consulting

Planview Projectplace Video

Planview Projectplace Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Planview Projectplace pricing:
  • "Its pricing plan should be improved. It could be expensive for midsize or small companies. There are no additional costs, but it would be great if you can negotiate or confirm the price during the requirement analysis phase."
  • "Pricing might be a challenge because it costs around $29 to $30 per user a month. If you have a large user base, around 100 to 200 users, then it might be costly for an organization. For organizations who do not have a comprehensive overall budget, it might be a challenge."
  • "I would say the licensing maturity was probably a three out of five. They have a long way to go before they can scale out and retain enterprise customers."
  • "The cost of this product is mid-range. It's not too expensive but not the cheapest on the market."
  • Planview Projectplace Reviews

Strategist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    The transparency and ability to drive ownership to the person who owns a task has been very helpful
    • "I love the collaborative nature just from my role to help. I'm a strategist. I help manage those large strategic projects. Implementation is one significant piece of my role, but I love the collaboration that can exist within the tool."
    • "The reporting end of it needs improvement. There should be more reporting, more data at your fingertips. It should be easier and a little more user-friendly. I know there is some there, but it's just how do you get more meat on the bones, if you will, of what's available."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a lot of large strategic projects from an implementation perspective. We used to have rather large Excel files that we were managing task and project work to be done. Then, we transition all of those work plans into Projectplace. We use it for large strategic project implementations, the new cancer center, we are currently using it for a new hospital tower that we're opening up this fall, and things like that. So large strategic projects is primarily where I use it.

We have some service line leadership teams across our healthcare organization that we use to manage their work that's aligned with our mission and vision and so we use it for a lot of those teams. Across our organization, we have a lot of teams that are using it for a myriad of different reasons and it keeps growing. We have an accrediting body called "joint commission." They'll survey your facility and show where there are some opportunities for improvement. When our quality team gets that, they've used Projectplace to create some standard work using those ways within that combined view to really manage their work. That's the same work that needs to be accomplished once one of those surveys comes back in. They've set up that standard work and now they use that for every survey across all of our different facilities.

That was a really cool use case that I was involved with helping them design but that's being used across the organization as well. There's some work intake because we also have PPM Pro. From a work intake perspective, there are a lot of teams that are managing work intake and then creating projects in Projectplace or cards in the workspaces as a result of that. That's just the tip of the iceberg of what our organization is using it for.

How has it helped my organization?

Using PPM Pro has improved our work intake but then funneling that into Projectplace helped to facilitate that work intake. It's just clarity of the work and visibility that needs to be done. The upgraded visibility across what's in process or what needs to happen across the organization has been helpful. That means the transparency, the ability to drive that ownership to the person that actually owns the task has been very helpful. We're in the fairly infant stages of using it but it's quite a bit with many strategic projects that we have going on.

What is most valuable?

I love the collaborative nature just from my role to help. I'm a strategist. I help manage those large strategic projects. Implementation is one significant piece of my role, but I love the collaboration that can exist within the tool. We're still trying to work through that but the ownership and trying to get people to really gauge and use the tool when you have 13,000 to 14,000 people across the organization isn't easy. It could be challenging because not everyone jumps right in the feet and feels comfortable with the technology, but the ability to drive ownership and visibility into what's going on is just wonderful from my perspective as trying to empower the teams that I manage. That's been very, very helpful.

I like Projectplace for working with detailed implementation plans for projects. Early, when I first started using it, it was just trying to get over a mental hurdle of how not to lose the details. There are so many different ways in which you can set up a workspace, the activities, the cards, and using a checklist on the cards. There are so many different ways in which you can set it up. It's fun to think through how to best transition those detailed work plans into the Projectplace environment. Its work. It's almost like there's so much ability to set it up to meet the team's needs or a specific project is good and bad in terms of having the options available to you. It's challenging at times because there are so many options but it's very flexible.

I think it's a very flexible tool for detailed work plans because we have a new hospital tower that we're opening now. I used to have a 350 to 400 row Excel file. We were considering rather large files that we got narrowed down into some more concise workspaces in Projectplace. Flexible is a keyword I would use.

Projectplace tracks work details and completion milestones. I normally try to set up as many milestones as possible. One of the challenges is the data that's from it if you try to mix people. People want to see more operational metrics or KPI finances, things like that. Things that aren't really project or task-related. I would say they're concerned about how other things are going related to a significant project and those things aren't always available but we can, obviously based on the activities and things, report cards, progress, milestone completion, and some other things. I know it's just a challenge. I know our leader that manages the tool and collaborates with Planview is really focused on metrics, reporting, and how we keep making that more robust. Finding a way to take it another layer down into a more detailed look at metrics and things outside of project metrics is a challenge. It's a challenge getting that fine layer of detail.

It definitely supports collaboration in real-time. The only challenge there is, is trying to manage the change of the way people do work. It definitely supports collaboration in real-time, and there are many people that have jumped in and use all the time. But then for my seat, I also need to know that an individual is not quite there yet. I may need to follow up with a separate note. I may need to follow up with a phone call or something to check-in. It does work. It's getting people to buy in and actually use it and get over the mental hurdle of understanding that it's not additional work, it's just a different way to do work.

We also use Microsoft Teams as an organization so people need to understand how the different tools work and how they relate to one another and that sort of thing. Yes, it works, it's just getting over that hurdle as an organization of getting people to buy into, to using it in that fashion.

The overall visibility in the project status provided by Projectplace is okay. It should be a little more robust. I know we have some of it set up. I don't know all the details for certain types of projects. We can put in a specific project status, but for many projects, we don't have that functionality turned on and it's very vague. I don't know the behind the scenes of what someone is doing, but there are certain projects where the only status that people could see is very vague in terms of task and tasks completed. It doesn't talk about the details of the three potential barriers. Some people want to know a little more detail. We do use some functionality that is turned on for certain projects that we use that people can submit a project status and that's helpful. But we don't use it across the board. I don't know the details of what someone's turning off or on and why that's the case. I'm seeing that across different projects and different workspaces.

This ability to allow other teams to see into our project status affects my organization. One of the huge benefits, even just with the integration with PPM Pro, since we use that as well and Projectplace, we've had a huge leap forward in terms of visibility across the organization of just what's out there. What's available in terms of projects, what's currently going on and we organize that, based on the hospital service line. We organize those things that people could easily drill down and say, "Hey, what's being worked on"? We slice and dice that in numerous different ways. The visibility has been great. It's just so we can have a huge initial step and our internal team's done a great job to work with Planview to help build some of those dashboards and things and actually do that in PPM Pro. I think there's some room to make it even more robust down the road. But there is great visibility early on. There are things that never existed before.

It has helped to track resources allocated across multiple projects. Within PPM Pro we have some of that visibility. I don't know that we see that within Projectplace, they've been splitting hairs, but I don't know that Projectplace allows us to see that. For example, with the projects I'm leading, I'm aware of who's on all of them and the usual suspects right across our organization. But I don't know if it's organization-wide, if we're there yet, by using Projectplace.

Projectplace definitely dynamically updates schedules as progress is made. It's great. The real-time nature of it all is a great piece to have real-time changes. People are able to see those activities and how they may have changed. That visibility is great. Then I use the conversation piece and really communicate with the team there as well. That real-time change is really helpful from my perspective.

What needs improvement?

The reporting end of it needs improvement. There should be more reporting, more data at your fingertips. It should be easier and a little more user-friendly. I know there is some there, but it's just how do you get more meat on the bones, if you will, of what's available. If I were to be an executive wanting to see a summary of my project, how do I better understand what's really going on? Is there a way to do that? Projectplace is the right place to do that, to store some of those updates and KPIs and that sort of thing.

They should make more robust reporting.

Anytime our organization submits some feedback Planview is awesome with thinking through it, making changes, and putting in future releases. It's great to be able to provide feedback and our internal team has done that and there have been numerous changes. It's great.

Planview Projectplace
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Planview Projectplace. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Projectplace for one and a half years.

I've had no issues with stability. Occasionally I'll see something that looks funny, I refresh it and it's fine. As a user, I haven't had any issues with the performance.

Scalability is performing fine. It's the cultural change management side of bringing people along this journey because we're really in the infant stages, it can only have been a year and a half or so, we're still early in that journey. It's bringing people along. I think the tool's working wonderfully. I know we add more and more stuff to it every week if not every day. The tool's working fine from that perspective. It's the other end of it and bringing people along in that journey.

We're not looking to increase usage. I know there are some rather significant initiatives coming forth that we're going to roll out as an organization that's going to be hundreds of people engaged and we're going to use Projectplace as the primary collaboration space to manage that work. I know there is some big thing that's coming up that we're going to use the tool for as the primary source of truth in terms of what the work is, the work that needs to be done, and the status of that work.

We're looking forward to getting that going and nothing else specific outside of that that I haven't mentioned already in terms of the types of work. I would have envisioned more portfolio usage to organize multiple projects or workspaces along with some bigger initiatives. I could potentially see that in the future.

I haven't dealt with technical support. I go to our internal team and they help me get the answer. I haven't had to reach directly out to Planview. All of the help information on the website is wonderful, straightforward, short, and sweet. I can usually find the answer I need and just go onto the website.

Prior to Projectplace, we were using Excel spreadsheets. Then we used Microsoft Project. It's a fine tool for what it is. It just lacks the collaboration, lacks visibility across different projects and across an organization. It's fine for a specific project in what it does but there are a couple of key differences that make Projectplace a pretty powerful tool.

I don't know the behind the scenes set up that had to take place to make it happen but from a user's perspective, it was seamless. It was a couple of pieces of information, it links to our single sign-on for our organization. From a user perspective, it's super simple.

The setup took around six months. It felt fairly short from when I started hearing about it from our internal team to when that was getting rolled out. We rolled it out to certain groups first and started using it. It took around six to nine months.

It's pretty minimal in terms of day to day maintenance. There's a team of four, however, one doesn't work in there a lot. I think it's really only a director, one staff, that's working behind the scenes and some of that's PTM-Pro related too, it's not all Projectplace.

We have hundreds of users. We're over a thousand in terms of people that have accounts but it could be someone is not using it.

What other advice do I have?

Any department that's used it has seen the value. It's just the change of getting people to buy in, use it, and look at work in a different way. That's the key. Anyone who's used it has had a very positive experience, to my knowledge. It's very broad in terms of our organization of who's getting the value out of it.

From an organizational perspective, the transparency and accountability across a project, and the work that needs to be done is just wonderful. There's a ton of value as an organization for the transparency and accountability of work that needs to be done.

My advice would be to focus on the communication on the change side of it. The tool's awesome. It works. It's a wonderful tool, it's a great way to manage the work and do the work.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten. It's been a nice tool. I like seeing things visually as well. So I think it's the ability to have some detail, but the visualization of work and activities and things like that is very helpful and very powerful.

Site Reliability Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    The workspace ease, navigation, and portfolios are the most valuable aspects
    • "The workspace ease, navigation, and portfolios are the most valuable aspects of this solution. I just got access to the portfolios from my upper management, so I'm able to look at our specific SRE portfolio to see what's a priority, look at how many hours we've tracked, and things like that. I'm not so much included in the budgeting but it's important to see what projects are higher priority and so forth."
    • "The time reporting is an excellent feature that they can show from an individual. The only problem I see is the description field. You can't increase that field, like to pull the column and widen the column that I've seen. I'm not seeing anywhere you could do that. Because you may have some of these cards that start with the same name and you only have so much real estate. There should be a way to adjust those columns somewhat so you can look at the description or hover over it and it tells you what the description is."

What is our primary use case?

The biggest thing that I'm trying to hunt down is the integration with Projectplace possibilities with other tools such as with our development team that is using JIRA. Our information systems and services teams use it for planning project work, analysis, detailing, time tracking, and estimates. They haven't started the story point yet but we'll probably end up doing that. We do use the Kanban features of this to walk through our standup. And our PMs use the portfolios. Our managers, VPs, and directors use the portfolio to look at the overall work of how it's planned, and so forth. Those are mainly our use cases today.

Projectplace's ability to connect to Gantt charts and Kanban boards affects the ability of stakeholders to view progress. It shows the duration and visually if you look at the plan and see where you're at, based on today, and showing you progress, it has little visual cues if you're behind and so forth. From a Kanban board, they can come in and look and see what's still planned or if people ARE still working on something. Once we get there, they'll be able to see the story points. I don't see that JIRA would provide a velocity report, but I'm sure there's something in there that you can look at to see what was estimated and how much work you're getting done within a board.

We have less than 500 users.

How has it helped my organization?

To me, it's all about collaboration and that's helped tremendously. I know from upper management that ogging time and trying to see what works, opening the eyes of even the VP as far as how many hours have been logged for certain projects and support items has come very handy. They didn't realize that's how much time it took to support certain features of our organization. That was a huge success to see that and was an easy adoption. It's really key. Most people on our teams have taken to it.

Projectplace tracks work details in completion milestones. We do use the milestones for tracking and planning. It's really visual and it's easy to link from pre-inceptions, inceptions, iterations, collaborations that release and turnover, and so forth. That's been awesome. I've been trying to help the PMs out as much as possible for new people coming on board with how to adapt to that and be able to move those around. It's very similar to Microsoft Project, but I think if people have not been in Project before, it's easy to adapt.

Projectplace is very similar to Microsoft. I've only skimmed Microsoft Project somewhat just because I'm not a PM, but the PMO team enjoys this piece of it. It has the visuals, it's very similar. I don't want to say it's exact, obviously, but it's very similar where it's got the Gantt and visuals, you can add milestones, you can easily adjust those milestones and the targets, and you can pull and visually move things around. Going from a task or from milestone to milestone has been great. I'm sure there's more to Projectplace than I've seen.

What is most valuable?

With the portfolio view, I knew everything when we expanded out, showing the authority and statuses. Then inside the actual workspaces, looking at the analysis itself and linking those milestones in the analysis workspace is great because a lot of PMs need that for the plan. It's easy to navigate and easy to move. I loved JIRA as well but it doesn't give you that robust visual. I think it's a little confusing sometimes when you first start up with JIRA. But Projectplace was a snap for me.

It was great to get in there and really see how things move along and so forth. One of the integrations that we are using from JIRA, is the email piece of it. It's great that they can send it to an email board and create the card. That's awesome. Unfortunately, it's not bidirectional. You can respond to that email, but it's not usually that user's email that it's going back to because we're on the cloud over in JIRA as well. We're looking into some other options for integration.

We've created templates mainly for plan-build-run. We tried to make it as simple as possible. I personally want to build that out a little bit more, from an Agile perspective. Our company is still adapting Agile as well. We have Waterfall and Agile right now. From an Agile perspective, we want to build out templates with milestones for pre-inceptions, inceptions, iterations, and then left shifts for turnover, once it gets released, and so forth. We want to see what the cases are and what we want to accomplish then break that down. I love that you can import a work breakdown structure as well. I don't know if this company does it, but that's something I've done in the past. Being able to import is great.

Then we would just plug away and try to create cards in the workspace, forecasts that need to be done, and so forth. That's where that integration may come in from and ask with our research and development teams, being able to reach out to our team, engaging us from whatever they may need, finding out SLOs, and things like that. Then, of course, the repository, the documentation repository is great, it works fine. So far its ability to work with detailed implementation plans for projects has been great.

We use the Kanban boards to collaborate and that's been a great visual inside the workspaces. I think showing your meetings has been a win-win. At first, people had a hard time looking at those boards because they're creating a card. They're trying to create a board and we tell them not to. It's easy to hit the plus sign, add a card, move cards from "Plan" to "Working on" to "Done." If you're looking at milestones as Sprints, you would want to have a separate board, so to speak, that's a backlog board that could be used, and try to visualize that and do Agile methods like Grooming and so forth. It's been good.

From a scale of one to 10, the overall visibility into project status provided by Projectplace is definitely a 10. I think it covers a lot. You can adjust by breaking it down visually and they have all the different methods, looking at it from weeks, months, quarters or whatever it may be. You can easily add milestones and look at it that way. The portfolio's important. I just got access to that, so I'm still learning that piece of it, but I think looking at the overall time and so forth, and I think some of my upper management love to export it and look at it from how much work is being done. They can email that or there's a shared link that they email upstream to see how much we're adapting and so forth.

I know they are tracking resources across multiple projects. I know that my management has talked about how many hours are spent on a specific project and so forth, but I'm sure the members themselves are tracking it.

This dynamically updates schedules as progress is made. Without real-time updates, once somebody puts in an estimate or tracking their time if that wasn't real-time, that would be tough to dynamically look at that overall project and see how much progress. If they don't move their cards, and it keeps track of where those go, that would be a problem.

What needs improvement?

When I export or print, there should be a way to print the descriptions with that model, milestones, and there might be, I just don't know what that is. When you download the PDF, it only shows the actual name of the milestones and not the small descriptions that go along with them.

I've been using Projectplace for the last three to four months.

Stability has been great. We haven't had any problems with it. There has not been any downtime that I'm aware of, especially with the cloud version.

We plan to bring on more teams and members.

I find Projectplace to be scalable.

I usually just Google online or going to their site. I think their site's very robust, explains a lot, and you can track all the sessions that you've taken and so forth. But from a technical perspective, we're just beginning the integration discussion. They've been good so far.

I wasn't part of the initial setup but I think it was straightforward. I think they moved pretty fast.

The network team does the deployment and maintenance. There's an overall tools team from a corporate level but some are smaller divisions.

For deployment and maintenance there are only three of us.

I think we have seen ROI only because they're able to track the work and see how much work is being put into it and then determine resources and so forth, so that's really a key factor.

We've been talking to our account manager, he's helping us along. We're trying to figure out what's best for us and what may help us in the long run. We're looking at LeanKit, we know that there's a strong and robust integration there. But we just started our members on Projectplace, so we don't want to really switch tools yet.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely have to have a plan. The templates are great to start out with, being able to build those workspaces fast, and then jumping in. It's very intuitive, sometimes when you're trying to learn other products, like JIRA, sometimes it's a little more confusing and it's hard to get that concept of what an issue type is and trying to understand how they integrate. Then, of course, they have a portfolio too, which makes it a little bit easier to view, but I think it's been great.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten. Not a ten because there is room for improvement with integration.

Planview Projectplace
    July 2022
    622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Jaii Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Project Manager at Orange Business Services
    A collaborative and customizable solution for managing your projects and day-to-day work
    • "It simplifies the management of our day-to-day work and brings all our processes into a single place where we can plan our activities, monitor them, and take any actions accordingly."
    • "An area of improvement is customer support and services. Sometimes, the issue reported is not resolved within a specific timeframe, and the technical consultants who are approached for the requirement finalization can be better in terms of understanding the requirements. Sometimes, there is a gap in understanding the requirements. Other than that, the solution is fine."

What is our primary use case?

It is a perfect solution for our day-to-day work and process management.

It is on the cloud. It is in Amazon AWS, but we are currently in the pipeline to get it migrated to Azure. In terms of the version, it is a managed solution, and the last upgrade was probably in the year 2019.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful for detailed implementation plans for our projects. It helps us to schedule our tasks, work, and processes in a single platform, and we can collaborate with our teams spread across the globe. We all can directly use this platform for the tasks assigned. It is very comfortable to use for all the teams.

Previously, we didn't have any similar method in our organization to monitor and track our workflows and activities. Planview Projectplace helps us to monitor our processes and track them in a very efficient way. Our organization has benefited from this solution because everything is unified. When a senior stakeholder or senior management asks about the progress or status of any project, we can easily give that information.

It is helpful for tracking our work details and completion milestones. After requirement analysis and defining a project, we can track that project. We can see the overall status and whether it is in LB or NLB state. It helps us with the agile methodology where at any time, we can track the progress that we have made. We can see the flag areas and flag any issues related to a project to the senior management, such as any pending finance or technical approvals. It is very easy to track everything from a single location. By using the dashboard, we can easily track and highlight things to senior management. We can also collaborate with the team about the status of a particular work item.

It is a perfect collaboration tool. During the pandemic, many team members were working remotely, and it made it very easy for us to work together. We have sprint meetings with the developers and the product engineering teams every morning. We have defined tasks and subtasks in the platform, and we can monitor those tasks. We have defined the credentials for each team member associated with our project so that they can log in to the system and work accordingly.

The overall visibility provided by this solution into project status is good and as expected. All our requirements for project management are completely fulfilled by this solution. Because everything is unified, the visibility is good. The dashboard provides the unique visibility of all the processes and tasks. All the details are available with a single click. Everything is fine. We haven't faced any issues.

It has inbuilt features to enable us to monitor any team's or team members' task and progress. If any team member is not available, we can easily assign that task to other team members. It is very easy, and its drag-and-drop features make it very unique.

It has the Kanban board and the Gantt chart facility. The Gantt chart facility allows us to define the milestones for our project and divide them on a quarterly, monthly, and weekly basis. We can easily divide our project into subtasks, and subtasks are divided into timelines. We easily track the timelines through the Gantt chart within Planview.

We are able to monitor the progress of our team, and it is not very difficult to monitor the progress of diverse stakeholders. Planview is a complete project management and tracking solution through which we and our stakeholders can monitor the progress at any time.

There is an independent reporting module within the application. All the tasks and project management activities can be pulled into reports. We can even filter them out based on the status, such as pending, completed, on hold, or in progress, and provide the report accordingly. Report customization is excellent in this solution.

It allows us to track project costs. Every project has a cost, such as an infrastructure cost, computing cost, cloud computing cost, and team management and outsourcing cost. We have different tasks and subtasks. We can easily identify the estimated, predicted, or approved cost. It is very clear for us to identify the cost within a project.

Its time-tracking and reporting features are useful for work done by a project’s team members. It has revealed or helped to reduce revenue leakage in a project because all the information related to cost, budget, and timelines is put into the project. It provides all the details.

It is very good for resource allocation and tracking. We have a large team of database developers, application developers, and the engineering team. We can allocate tasks for every resource on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. We can monitor the resource allocation, and if, for example, a resource is not available for the next seven days, we can assign the tasks assigned to that resource to another resource.

It dynamically updates schedules as progress is made. All the schedules are automatically updated by the solution. All the updates and upgrades are taken care of by Planview. No manual process is required.

What is most valuable?

All the features are perfectly fine, but the main feature is that Projectplace has the functionality of Kanban board/Scrum board. So, you can monitor all your progress in a single place. You can monitor the activities given to the agile team, the agile processes that are followed, the activities in the backlog, and the activities that need to be done on priority. You can set the priorities, and, accordingly, you can monitor and track them. It is beneficial for day-to-day work.

Another important feature is that its graphical user interface is fantastic. Its GUI is very good, and it is very easy to learn and work with. It does require some formal training, but after a few initial weeks, you get a hang of the solution.

It is a customizable solution. You can provide your requirements to them, and their technical consultants can help you according to your requirements. Its customization is very easy. Overall, it provides a great return on the investment.

What needs improvement?

Its pricing plan should be improved. Midsize or small companies might be unable to afford it because of its pricing plans. They usually have a limited budget.

Another area of improvement is customer support and services. Sometimes, the issue reported is not resolved within a specific timeframe, and the technical consultants who are approached for the requirement finalization can be better in terms of understanding the requirements. Sometimes, there is a gap in understanding the requirements. Other than that, the solution is fine.

I have been using this solution for more than two years.

Its stability is good because all the time, updates and upgrades are provided. We have not identified any bugs. It is being used by the whole organization across the globe, and it is quite stable.

It is scalable. It is being used by more than 50 people, which includes senior stakeholders at CTO/CEO level, technical people such as developers and engineers, and non-technical people from the marketing department.

We are using it on a day-to-day basis. We are weekly performing milestone and delivery activities.

Customer support is provided by the company according to the licenses. I would rate them an eight out of ten because sometimes, there is a delay in resolving the issue, and there is also a gap in understanding the initial requirements by their staff.

Positive

We were using Microsoft Project on an offline basis. Since the pandemic, there has been a need to work remotely. We observed a requirement to be on the cloud, and therefore, we moved to Planview Projectplace.

Microsoft Project is a very good solution, but because it was available offline, it was not of much use because offline is offline. We have to email every time for the team to collaborate. When things are on the cloud, you can collaborate easily. We just need a credential to log in to that application, and that's it.

Planview and Microsoft Project are different, and you can't compare oranges with apples. Both solutions are excellent in their own way, but I would rate project Planview higher because there are some advancements in the solution, and it allows collaboration with the team. Having the project management solution on the cloud is more beneficial rather than having it offline.

It is straightforward. Because it is cloud-based, we didn't find any complexity. It was completely developed as per our requirements. It took us 15 to 30 days.

We worked with the vendor for its implementation. For its deployment and maintenance, not so much staff is required. All the things are provided by the company itself because we pay for that. No efforts are required from our end.

It gives clear visibility of your projects and tasks. So, there is always a positive return on investment for any organization. Any solution that provides clear visibility on the projects, timelines, and status, and enables you to do reporting is a good investment.

Its pricing plan should be improved. It could be expensive for midsize or small companies. There are no additional costs, but it would be great if you can negotiate or confirm the price during the requirement analysis phase.

We evaluated Atlassian Jira for project management, and there were also some offline, open-source tools.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great solution if any organization has the budget to implement it. It is good, and any organization adopting this solution will always benefit from it. I would highly recommend this solution to any prospective buyer or company.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Apart from the technical support and the pricing plan, everything is good.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    One of the best tools out there for collaboration that affects a project's progress quite a bit
    • "Projectplace absolutely supports collaboration in real-time. It's probably one of the best tools out there for collaboration. It affects the project's progress quite a bit. I have started two very similar projects in two separate business units, on very similar teams. I did one with Enterprise One, I did one with Projectplace just to see how the mileage would vary. The one with Projectplace had a very short cycle time so we were able to finish the project earlier. The one with Enterprise One was less engaging and it took a little more time. Because we were tracking the tasks inside the schedule it was not on the cards."
    • "They should also improve the interface. There are other competitors like Microsoft Project for the web, Wrike, Team Gantt who have a way better, modern user interface."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an R&D Project Manager for new product development. We develop valves, pumps and seals, and I come from the valve background. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. We build new products from the beginning to the end and we use Projectplace to track the tasks.

We use Projectplace to track our project schedule. We also use Projectplace for the document feature where we tag our company's SharePoint links on to a Projectplace document so that all the documents that we are going to use in the project, be it any kind of piece, an Excel file, a PowerPoint, or a Word document, everything sits on Projectplace. It's super useful.

What is most valuable?

The command feature on the cards is very, very helpful. We can update the cards. It is very useful.

We already have a set process in our company for tracking work details and the completion of milestones. We run an integration with Enterprise One. The template is already available in Projectplace as well as Enterprise One. So we follow that template as the corporate suggested, but under each and every line outcome we have a task which we create in Projectplace and assign cards and connect the cards to the tasks. So in terms of how helpful it is for tracking milestones, it is very good.

Projectplace absolutely supports collaboration in real-time. It's probably one of the best tools out there for collaboration. It affects the project's progress quite a bit. I started two very similar projects in two separate business units, on very similar teams. I did one with Projectplace and one in Enterprise One just to see how the mileage would vary. The one with Projectplace had a very short cycle time so we were able to finish the project earlier. The one with Enterprise One was less engaging and it took a little more time. Because we were tracking the tasks inside the schedule it was not on the cards. We don't have cards on Enterprise One. We had to create many lines and it was very hard for people to navigate. In that sense, I would say Projectplace is extremely good for collaboration and it really helps to finish projects very quickly.

It allows our teams to view the project status. The project status is much more visible with Projectplace. It's way better for the project team. For leadership, Planview Enterprise One is better in terms of status because there is an overview screen on Planview Enterprise One.

We also Projectplace to connect Gantt chart activity and Kanban boards. It positively affects the stakeholder's ability to view progress because when they come to the project plan, they can easily see whatever is required. I also have created a dashboard which actually shows them the progress as well. I created the dashboard on Power BI and it's very easy to create a Power BI dashboard using Projectplace data.

We use Enterprise One for time tracking and reporting features for work done by project team members but there is integration between Enterprise One and Projectplace. There is a tab inside Projectplace where if you click on it, it takes you to Planview Enterprise One. We track our time through that.

What needs improvement?

I would give Projectplace's ability for working with detailed implementation plans for projects a seven out of ten. Projectplace has one feature that is missing called Baseline. Baseline is when you can capture a committed date and freeze it. And then when you're starting your project you can keep changing the dates. We don't have a Baseline date, so it's not very robust. We have to sync the project schedule to Planview Enterprise One and set the baseline in Enterprise One which is not very useful. I would prefer it if the Baseline feature was available inside of Projectplace itself. As for Projectplace, it is very simple to use. Planning is very simple and straightforward with Projectplace. But I wish Projectplace's plan could work more like Microsoft Project for the web. The way they handle the connection is much easier.

They should also improve the interface. There are other competitors like Microsoft Project for the web, Wrike, and Teams, who have a way better, modern user interface.

We can't do financial management in Projectplace. Financial management cannot be done on Projectplace but it also can't be done on Project for the web.

We've been using Enterprise One and Projectplace for quite a long time. I think Enterprise One started around nine to 10 years ago. My company has been using Projectplace since 2016, but I have been using it since 2017.

I would rate its stability a seven out of ten. In India, we have found that it crashes once in six months and we lose some data when there is a crash. There is a connector issue with Enterprise One and Projectplace which is horrible. The connector from Projectplace and Enterprise One is quite bad but apparently, they have fixed it in the later version.

I would give scalability a ten out of ten. We started with R&D then we went to transformation offers, then we went to different teams, and now they're trying to use it for our operation teams. It has been a very scalable product.

The only reason why it's not scaled as much as I would have liked to or expected is because Enterprise One does not scale very well, it's very bad and our organization focuses a lot on Enterprise One. Unfortunately, because of that, we haven't been able to scale Projectplace more. The dependency on Enterprise One has been its Achilles heel.

We don't have plans to increase usage. I think it's going to reduce because our contract is ending soon, so I'm not sure what the status is going to be based on corporate. But for now, I think it's going to remain the same or reduce the head count.

Microsoft Project is robust, it's for advanced project managers and for teams that can understand advanced project management things. But unfortunately in our organization, it's mostly used for casual project management.

I still use it for some projects that are quite complex but Projectplace works for scheduled projects, like product development projects and Agile projects. If you want a project to be more advanced, I think Microsoft Project could be perfect.

I would say Microsoft Project compares well against Enterprise One and Projectplace compares well against Project for the web by Microsoft. I have been using Microsoft Project for the web on one of my projects. If you asked me which one I would pick, it would be Project for the web because of the user interface and integration with Microsoft products. We are Office 365 customers so the integration with their products is excellent. That's the only reason why I would choose that, otherwise I would stick with Projectplace.

Microsoft Project for the web is a completely different application. Microsoft Project for the web is a new product from Microsoft which was introduced this year. Microsoft Project for the web and Planview Projectplace are very similar. In terms of the user interface, I would say Microsoft Project for the web is amazing, compared to Projectplace, it is way better. In terms of usability and stability, I prefer Projectplace.

In terms of cards and collaboration features, I prefer Projectplace. I really liked the user interface for connecting various tasks in the Gantt view. MS Project for the web is nice, it looks modern, but Projectplace looks very dated.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward because it's a single sign-on in our organization. It only took two weeks or so to roll out. It was not very difficult.

Maintenance used to require four people but now it's just one because COVID-19 happened. The person who maintains it is a solutions architect. We have around 800 to 900 users.

We don't absolve cost savings by using Projectplace, but we do see cost savings by using Enterprise One, due to tax reductions in American and European regions when we do R&D projects. Enterprise One gives us a good amount of savings in R&D tax, but not Projectplace. You could indirectly say that Projectplace is saving money.

What other advice do I have?

Collaboration was not the focus of our organization. Once we started to use Projectplace we gave it to everybody in the team, from the junior engineers, lead engineers, tech leads, to directors, to have one single platform to have conversations. It enables them to tag people on cards and tells them who is responsible for what. It helped me bring accountability back into a project.

I'm happy with Projectplace. I think Projectplace is the reason why Planview is surviving in my company. The scope is good, so people like it.

I would rate Projectplace a nine out of ten.

Prateek Agarwal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Manager at NISG
    You can access the solution anywhere from any part of the world
    • "The overall user interface is fantastic. It has been very easy to learn and use. Any non-technical person with some initial training can work on it from day one, which is very good. The learning material is very good and easy to learn. There is no need to spend additional money on the training."
    • "It needs some improvement in the project planning reports, ad hoc reports, and some big file transfers are a challenge. If you were going to transfer some 10 MB or 12 MB document with your team members, then it might have some problems in uploading and sharing those files. The overall dashboard view needs some advancement in its visualizations and uploading a large file size is a challenge."

What is our primary use case?

It is a complete project planning software where you can work collaboratively with your team members.

This solution is cloud-based so we do not have to worry about installing it on the client location or at our location on-premises. Anybody can use it. We just need to give access to our team members. They log into that application, then work simultaneously. It helps in improving our overall business efficiency, team management, and stakeholder management because it provides timely reports and project data.

It is deployed centrally. The solution is used by different users across the geography. It is also used by different departments and divisions, e.g., in IT marketing and sales accounts. We have deployed it and provided credentials to particular users for it, like support for the admin users, general users, and basic users. We provided credentials according to their access and strength.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a very large team of around 150 team members who are dispersed in different geographic locations. We are working in India, but our locations are in the Asia-Pacific regions as well. We have very distributed team members. We need to manage a project, while working with the client, for timely project delivery. We need to get the status of every project milestone along with the client's timeline set in the software. We need to monitor all our tasks as well as subtasks within the application. The solution improves our daily work, day-to-day operations, and milestones. It maintains those milestones in an efficient way.

What is most valuable?

Almost all the features are valuable. You can track a project's progress: milestones, timelines, and flag any issues. You can access the solution anywhere from any part of the world. It is a real-time project monitoring software as well. So, it is very good for project planning and reporting.

The overall user interface is fantastic. It has been very easy to learn and use. Any non-technical person with some initial training can work on it from day one, which is very good. The learning material is very good and easy to learn. There is no need to spend additional money on the training.

During the pandemic, team members were deployed in very different geographic locations. This was a great choice for this situation since we just needed to provide credentials for them to start working. We could track their progress and monitor from any part of the world. This is a very good functionality that they provide.

What needs improvement?

It needs some improvement in the project planning reports, ad hoc reports, and some big file transfers are a challenge. If you were going to transfer some 10 MB or 12 MB document with your team members, then it might have some problems in uploading and sharing those files. The overall dashboard view needs some advancement in its visualizations and uploading a large file size is a challenge.

Sometimes it requires a higher Internet bandwidth. If you are working on a low Internet bandwidth, with low Internet capacity in your organization, or working from home, then it might be a challenge since it requires a good, higher Internet bandwidth.

I have been using it for approximately two years.

The stability is perfect.

The scalability is good. We have 100 to 200 simultaneously and 50 team members using the solution. Apart from them, scalability is not a big issue for us. Also, they provide scalability because it is cloud-based.

Some improvement is needed in the customer support services. Sometimes, the user will face an issue and the customer support, which handles Level 1 issues, does not respond in a timely manner, then users are stuck with their queries. Their support sometimes needs 24 to 48 hours to respond back, but sometimes that user needs a faster response.

Apart from some high-level issues, their customer service team is highly responsive. If you have some basic queries or day-to-day issues, then the customer service is also very good.

Technical support is good. I would rate them as eight out of 10.

Positive

We have used Microsoft Project and the other applications along with Jira for service management, project management, and bulk management. We use these tools in parallel.

We have been using Microsoft Project on-premises because it is not available as of yet in the cloud. We have been using Jira within our different departments, but not within the overall organization.

We did a trial version of this Planview solution. We found it suitable, then we deployed it to be fully functional.

I was involved in the initial planning and deployment of the software as well on the budgeting part. I helped the business leader to deploy this product. The initial setup is straightforward because it is a cloud-based deployment. Everything is managed by Planview. All the services and updates are managed by them. It is a managed service, so nothing that we faced was very difficult or tricky. The deployment was completely fine. We deployed it within a month.

No maintenance is required from our end because it is cloud-based. Therefore, everything is managed by them, which comes under the subscription.

There were some small tasks that were initially required for us to do and deploy:

• Product requirement gathering from the user and what they required.
    • Project analysis.
    • Which features to add.
    • The things that we would require in any module.

The company helped us with the implementation. Overall, the deployment and implementation are supported well by the company.

If you are using a project management tool, like Planview Projectplace, to manage your project in a defined manner, then you can manage your project, your team's tasks, sprint meetings, daily meetings, ad hoc meetings, and provide a timely status to senior stakeholders. That will always be a return on investment for any organization.

Planview Projectplace helps us provide timely updates and management of all our projects as well as flag any issues. We are notified whenever timelines are reached, which helps us to know what task and timelines are approaching. It helps us to manage the overall project, which provides us with a positive return on investment.

Pricing might be a challenge because it costs around $29 to $30 per user a month. If you have a large user base, around 100 to 200 users, then it might be costly for an organization. For organizations who do not have a comprehensive overall budget, it might be a challenge.

Thankfully, we have a separate budget for all our software and tools in the IT infrastructure budget. We have procured the Planview software in our budget because we have different budget criteria for that. We have around 50 to 100 users simultaneously using the software. While it is a bit costly, it is fine because we have the budget for it.

If an organization has the budget for deploying this kind of application, then this solution would be a great choice.

As an overall comprehensive solution, this is one of the best solutions that we have found for medium to large enterprises. We also evaluated Microsoft Project, Jira, Asana, Zoho Projects, and Trello.

We tried other applications like Trello, Zoho, and Microsoft Project, but they are not focusing on a large userbase group. According to our requirements, this solution was better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product as nine out of 10. I would highly recommend it to prospective buyers if you require this type of project management software to be SaaS. Planview is a perfect choice because it handles all your requirements in a unified way. It provides analytics, data reports,  and ad hoc reports in a few clicks. It provides all the features that an organization requires.

There are a lot of project management tools. If you just Google it, you will find a lot of tools. However, if you are practically managing your project management on a day-to-day basis, your requirements are high, and you are approaching change management in a high-level manner, then this would be a great solution.

Overall, it is a very good software. It needs some improvements that I have previously mentioned. Overall, I haven't found any particular issues or problems with it. Hopefully, other prospective buyers will find it as suitable as we have according to our experiences.

Google
    Senior Tech Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good integration with resource management and handles time management well, but the licensing is absurd
    • "The most useful features of Planview are its integration with resource management and the ability to commit and reserve various resources."
    • "Planview is a resource management and project management system. Projectplace allows you to create boards and associate some of Planview's work breakdown structure as a top-level tree under which you can place cards, but there are many limitations because when you make a change in Planview, it is reflected in Projectplace. However, except for a few specific things, changes made in Projectplace are not ported back to Planview. At this point, they're two completely different products. The flaw is that there is very little integration between the two."

What is our primary use case?

This was an enterprise rollout of Planview, as well as a number of projects. One of them had me as the senior project manager. I had a Planview entire project, which included resources, budget, work breakdown structures, and everything else that a Project plan would normally include. Through Planview Projectplace, I ran the agile side of things.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features of Planview are its integration with resource management and the ability to commit and reserve various resources. Oddly enough, I liked how they did the time updates. Every two weeks, it would update all timelines to the current date, and you would then be sort of locked into what you had completed. That was confusing to a lot of people, and if you weren't familiar with it, that's a Planview feature that I haven't seen in Jira, Microsoft Project, or other products. That was very thoughtful. I liked how they handled current time management. It enforced best practices.

What needs improvement?

We did not purchase the agile package. I believe this relates to what we had. We had Planview and Projectplace, but not, the full agile package. We had cards in Projectplace, but we couldn't put them into Epix and then stories because they were part of the agile package.

Planview turned out to be completely useless for my use cases because I needed to be able to take large, stories or large Epix and put them on a backlog and associate them with Planview work breakdown structure schedules. In Planview, we would have to migrate application A and application B, but we would be doing this for 30 different applications. In the absence of a way to represent large sub-projects in Planview and have them moveable in time, with the resources associated with them also moving as you move them, I had to work around that limitation and mostly work in Projectplace.

That being said, I did not have access to the agile module, but my suspicions are that it would not have made much of a difference due to the poor integration between Projectplace and Planview.

Planview is a resource management and project management system. Projectplace allows you to create boards and associate some of Planview's work breakdown structure as a top-level tree under which you can place cards, but there are many limitations because when you make a change in Planview, it is reflected in Projectplace. However, except for a few specific things, changes made in Projectplace are not ported back to Planview. At this point, they're two completely different products. The flaw is that there is very little integration between the two.

I have used Planview Projectplace for one year in a contract position that recently wrapped up.

I am not sure what version number it was, but we kept up with the most recent, active contracts, and it was a multimillion-dollar contract. There was a lot of money spent, such as 2.5 million dollars.

It was deployed through the Planview Cloud.

It was highly scalable and would occasionally slow down, but this was clearly a choice in the resources allocated to the web servers and could be changed.

In terms of usability, I thought it was far more useful than a Microsoft Project, Asana, or Jira, because, while it wasn't a particularly best-practices user interface, it was better than Jira, which is straight out of the 1990s.

Because of the project's complexity, there are probably ten different roles that span, for example, project management, product owners, various developers and testers, and so on. I would say that a couple of hundred people were involved in the initial rollout, which is probably fairly accurate.

Ideally, it will be rolled out to 1000 people, but due to the difficulties of working with enterprise, this will most likely take longer than expected.

I would rate them a four out of five, but keep in mind that we had a person that we paid available 24/7 to answer our questions. Even so, they only get a four.

I believe the environment in which Planview and Projectplace were deployed was probably complex. It required a lot of customization, Planview should have included more people, but they only included what they chose to include.

Positive

I have experience with products such as Asana and Jira.

Asana, I've used it, but I don't have any strong feelings either way. It is not something I use on a regular basis.

I have used the entire Atlassian suite, and I am very familiar with it. I have set it up for startups and established businesses numerous times.

The initial setup was very complex. They made us take a month of classes, and at the end of the day, it could have probably been explained to me in three hours, but because a lot of people need the same type of comparative experience that I have, perhaps they needed that month-long immersive class.

The deployment was done in-house. However, due to the size of the contract, Planview provided a lot of assistance. We had a Planview representative on call, that could cover everything with us. It was simply someone from Planview who was available to us 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

There are two approaches. The first was a failure, and the second was what I used. The overall strategy to implement Planview was across the entire enterprise, which failed due to silos and pushback. My strategy was to take a small group of people and a small project, only two or three million dollars, and win hearts and minds by having people adopt Planview and Projectplace. My project was a success, and I believe it is now being reevaluated for the use of Planview and Projectplace across the enterprise, and they will hopefully choose the approach I took for future implementations.

It will take a decade to see a return on investment because enterprise adoption requires the consolidation of the five or ten other competing tools into Planview and Projectplace. If that does not happen, the project will fail and the return on investment will be close to zero.

That is also where the sale is. You need a full-time person to maintain Planview and Projectplace, as well as a technical person who can solve problems and do new implementations. You will need three people to manage Planview and Projectplace alone. It's a fixed cost, and each of these will most likely cost a couple hundred thousand dollars per year.

Licensing, in my opinion, was absurd. There were share licenses, one-to-one licenses where everyone with a Projectplace license could access Planview, and licenses where everyone could access Planview but couldn't do a certain set of activities that were really necessary. I would say the licensing maturity was probably a three out of five. They have a long way to go before they can scale out and retain enterprise customers.

You have to pay for Projectplace access, for example, and then you can choose between a few models. It depends on the model. If you have to add per user, then each user has an additional cost. If you choose different modeling, which I believe is more, or you get a certain amount of resources and the people are not counted was one approach, but it was extremely confusing. As a result, the way it was implemented seemed to incur additional costs everywhere.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to drive adoption, my advice is to negotiate with Planview and get all of the licensing you need ahead of time, so you don't get nickel and dimed, choose some best practices for adopting any new project management tool and an agile tool, which means you start with a small group of people, win hearts and minds, and then extend it throughout the organization.

It's one of the better tools that I have ever used. I would rate Planview Projectplace a seven out of ten.

NipunSri - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant Cybersecurity at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to set up and use, facilitates collaboration, and the technical support responds quickly to issues
    • "Right from the initial steps, we found this product easy to use."
    • "If the mobile app were improved to show more information then it would be good."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a security analyst and I am involved in the planning phase for security in project management. My work in Projectplace concerns product planning, and it is one of the software products that we use for continuous development.

From my perspective, it is a general project management tool and I use it to fulfill the security aspect of the project. When it comes to major releases, Projectplace allows me to align the security testing with the other timelines.

It helps with time management and planning product releases. For example, it can tell me how much time I need for different test phases. It facilitates collaboration with other teams, which helps to achieve their goals according to the timelines.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product helps me to deal with other teams. For example, I have visibility into them achieving their goals and meeting their deadlines. I can see everything.

Prior to implementing this solution, we were relying primarily on manual communication such as email. There were a lot of emails regarding timelines and team coordination. After purchasing this and putting everything into one place, I can track progress from zero to 100% using a single dashboard.

Things are much easier because there is less communication by email and it is organized into a single instance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the collaboration with other teams. It allows me to see an overview of the entire project, helping to estimate how much time and effort I have to dedicate to specific sections.

The risk management feature is one that I find very good.

Right from the initial steps, we found this product easy to use.

The logging features are good.

What needs improvement?

If the mobile app were improved to show more information then it would be good. As it is now, the mobile app shows less information.

I have been working with Planview Projectplace for nearly one year.

This is a stable product. I have not had situations where it was unavailable.

The scalability is very good. We have been expanding in terms of the number of users and projects that we are managing, and we haven't had any interruption in the service.

We have approximately 200 staff, with 150 registered users. There are developers, I am the security analyst, there are project managers, and also administrative roles.

The technical support is excellent. If something happens then they respond quickly. They have a very supportive team. One time, I emailed them regarding some of the features. They responded to me quite quickly.

I would rate the technical support a nine out of ten.

We did not use another similar solution prior to implementing this one.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Initially, we had a testing phase that lasted approximately one month. This is the time that we took to test once it was deployed. I used it over that time and provided my feedback to the other project managers and the IT team. Otherwise, I was not directly involved in the implementation.

Somebody from Planview worked with our IT department during the implementation.

We have an IT team of approximately five people that are responsible for maintenance.

The return on investment with this product is huge. When I think about our process prior to implementing Projectplace, this is a lot easier. We used to have to deal with a lot of emails, repeat communications, and so forth. Now, I can more easily manage what I need to do, including working with timelines. Important dates can be clearly seen and nothing is missed.

In the past, there were cases where teams missed deadlines because they could not easily be viewed. Consequently, projects dragged and the releases were late. Now, thanks to this product, we are constantly updating each project's status and the whole team can see everything in a single place. The ease of doing so is the key point.

The cost of this product is mid-range. It's not too expensive but not the cheapest on the market. It's something that anyone can afford. When you consider the features, the price is reasonable.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

Other options were evaluated by our team, although I was not part of that process. I know that one of the solutions they looked at was Microsoft Project. It may have been the only other one that they evaluated.

Some of the factors that they considered were the price and the support.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I learned from using this product is that with the right tool, it is easy to meet deadlines and never miss an important milestone.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Business Analyst
    Allows users to share documents, keep track of document changes and versions, and correspond internally and externally
    • "Planview Projectplace is a really good solution for document sharing and keeping track of the history of changes in the document. I also like that you can have everything you need for a project in one place, for example, for documentation, planning, and even resource planning."
    • "In terms of what could be improved in Planview Projectplace, it would depend on the purpose, because if you talk about resource planning, from my perspective, it's not the best tool. It would also depend on the company itself, for example, I've been working with another company and Planview Projectplace was needed more for workload and resource planning purposes, and I don't think the solution covered those purposes well. Its resource planning and workload functions need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Planview Projectplace serves as the workplace for a project, where you can have all the documentation and all the versions of that documentation, for example, the specifications of a project.

Through Planview Projectplace, I also create the structure I need. For example, I can have my drafts reviewed before creating the final versions, then I can easily keep track of all versions. I can also upload different versions and correspond internally and externally within the company and with suppliers.

What is most valuable?

Planview Projectplace is a really good solution for document sharing and keeping track of the history of changes in the document. I also like that you can have everything you need for a project in one place, for example, for documentation, planning, and even resource planning. You can go back to the basics, similar to using an Excel file, and you'll have everything there in Planview Projectplace. You can share documents internally and externally and this is one of the best benefits of the solution. You can also create visibility in your projects in different workplaces, and this function makes the solution okay.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved in Planview Projectplace, it would depend on the purpose, because if you talk about resource planning, from my perspective, it's not the best tool. It would also depend on the company itself, for example, I've been working with another company and Planview Projectplace was needed more for workload and resource planning purposes, and I don't think the solution covered those purposes well. Its resource planning and workload functions need improvement. How big the project is, and if it's a single project or multiple projects, also has to be taken into consideration, for example, if you're using Planview Projectplace for a small project, then you'll see the workload better. I'm not sure if the solution can be integrated with other tools, but integration could help.

I've been using Planview Projectplace for work since 2016.

Planview Projectplace is a stable solution. My company didn't have any problems in terms of stability.

I haven't spoken to Planview Projectplace technical support because there was no need. My company has an IT department, so if there's a need to activate a user in a project, for example, it would be a matter of discussing it with IT. I'm not sure if the IT department had further discussions with the technical support team for Planview Projectplace, but I didn't have issues with the solution.

The solution I use depends on the requirements of the company. Planview Projectplace is a very good solution for the company I'm working for now. I used another project management tool in the past: Basecamp. I used it for smaller projects, and it was a matter of resource planning and workload. It was similar to Planview Projectplace, but it was good for small projects.

I evaluated Basecamp.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know how Planview Projectplace is deployed, because that is covered by the IT department.

There are about one hundred users of Planview Projectplace within the company. It could be more than one hundred, but I'm unsure about the exact number of users.

My advice to others who are looking to start using Planview Projectplace is to pay attention to their needs. First, they have to know what they need, in particular, for what purpose they want to use the solution. If they want a shared place for documentation, correspondence, etc., they can use Planview Projectplace.

It would also depend on how many documents they have. If they want to use a solution for sharing some information with the team, I would recommend Basecamp because it draws more projects, then they can open and close those projects. If it's a matter of big projects that have durations of more than one month, and you need to go back to the history, or if it's a big application and you'll have several releases on it, then Planview Projectplace is a better solution for you in terms of tracking, for example, you can always go back to the documents that have been written years ago.

If you want a solution for planning and looking into issues or defects, for example, project management for developers or IT projects with developers, Planview Projectplace is not the solution for you. It depends on the needs of your company. For IT projects, you can use Jira and Confluence. It's just a matter of needs. It would be awesome if you can have them all in one place, but I haven't found a tool, so far, that can cover everything.

I'm rating Planview Projectplace eight out of ten, based on my needs. The solution is okay as it covers my needs in different ways.

Download our free Planview Projectplace Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022