We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Oracle SPARC Servers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle SPARC Servers is #10 ranked solution in top Rack Servers. PeerSpot users give Oracle SPARC Servers an average rating of 6 out of 10. Oracle SPARC Servers is most commonly compared to IBM Power Systems: Oracle SPARC Servers vs IBM Power Systems. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Oracle SPARC Servers?

Oracle's SPARC S7, T7, and M7 Servers with always-on memory intrusion protection and comprehensive data encryption secure data with no performance penalty. Security in silicon features and Oracle Solaris protect data in memory from unauthorized access and stop malware before it gets in.

Download the Rack Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Oracle SPARC Servers Customers

University Hospitals Leuven, B&H Photo, Tuscon Electric Power, IS Nordic, Siemens

Oracle SPARC Servers Video

Oracle SPARC Servers Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle SPARC Servers pricing:
"Oracle SPARC Servers are expensive to manage, this is because after five years Oracle will increase the support charges for the hardware. The licensing policy for Oracle is different for Intel and Sparc. It will cost you less if you use your Oracle hardware with Oracle SPARC Servers."

Oracle SPARC Servers Reviews

Mir-Ali
Infrastructure Manager - Oracle SCM at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Powerful servers, reliable, but operating systems needs improvement
  • "The Oracle server is very powerful. They are more powerful and durable compared to Intel hardware. Which has been a benefit to our organization."
  • "The solution could improve by giving a clear roadmap about the future. I'm not seeing a lot of improvements on the OS side of the software. They need to work more on the operating system."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle SPARC Servers for our oracle EBS.

We can install only Oracle Solaris on Oracle SPARC Servers, we cannot install any other operating system.

How has it helped my organization?

The Oracle server is very powerful. They are more powerful and durable compared to Intel hardware. Which has been a benefit to our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by giving a clear roadmap about the future. I'm not seeing a lot of improvements on the OS side of the software. They need to work more on the operating system.

I have been using Oracle SPARC Servers for approximately seven years.

The stability of the solution is excellent, it is reliable. Once you install and configure it then it'll run smoothly. It will not give you any issues.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution. We have plans to increase the usage of the solution. We have some older hardware and we will be replacing it with the latest model of Oracle SPARC Servers.

The technical support from the vendor quality depends upon the issue. Sometimes they will give you very good support and other times they will pass you on to someone. It will depend upon the issue.

Previously we used Intel server then we migrate to Solaris. We switched because we heard about the high performance of Oracle hardware and software works.

The setup is simple, but the engineer has to have knowledge about Solaris to manage it. It is not like Linux or another operating system. It's a little bit different compared to Red Hat and other Linux variations. The full deployment takes approximately two days.

We used the help of the vendors to deploy it. After that we are have been managing it, even though if it requires any upgrade or anything, we are doing it in-house. We don't require other people for maintenance.

Oracle SPARC Servers are expensive to manage, this is because after five years Oracle will increase the support charges for the hardware. The licensing policy for Oracle is different for Intel and Sparc. It will cost you less if you use your Oracle hardware with Oracle SPARC Servers.

Once we cross five years, the parts will not be locally maintained by Oracle. Sometimes we need to wait for a week, 10 days or a month to get the replacement. Even though you are having support from Oracle,  you have to wait. It is a very bad thing.

What other advice do I have?

When rating the reliability and sustainability of the solution I will rate it nine out of ten, but when it comes to supporting the solution when it becomes old, I rate it a six out of ten.

But I need just one digit, Ali, like in general. So what will it be?

I rate Oracle SPARC Servers a six out of ten.

Overall I gave the solution a six out of ten because once we start using Oracle SPARC Servers, it's very difficult to get out of it because it requires a platform migration. Many things will make it difficult to move to another architecture afterward.

Product Categories
Rack Servers
Download our free Rack Servers Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Intel, and more!