IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Oracle SOA Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle SOA Suite is #1 ranked solution in top SOA Governance tools and #9 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Oracle SOA Suite an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle SOA Suite is most commonly compared to WebLogic Suite: Oracle SOA Suite vs WebLogic Suite. Oracle SOA Suite is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 37% of all views.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Oracle SOA Suite?

Oracle SOA Suite is a comprehensive, standards-based software suite to build, deploy and manage integration following the concepts of service-oriented architecture (SOA). The components of the suite benefit from consistent tooling, a single deployment and management model, end-to-end security and unified metadata management. Oracle SOA Suite helps businesses lower costs by allowing maximum re-use of existing IT investments and assets, regardless of the environment (OS, application server, etc.) they run in, or the technology they were built upon. Its easy-to-use, re-use focused, unified application development tooling and end-to-end lifecycle management support further reduces development and maintenance cost and complexity.

For more information on Oracle SOA Suite, visit Oracle.com

Oracle SOA Suite was previously known as SOA Suite.

Oracle SOA Suite Customers
7-Eleven, Arcor SAIC, Banca Transilvania, Eaton Corporation, Emdeon, Ferrovial, Griffith University, National Instruments, Pella Corporation, Vodafone Group Plc,
Oracle SOA Suite Video

Oracle SOA Suite Reviews

Oracle Training Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
Integrates well, versatile, and high level support
  • "In Oracle SOA Suite some applications are not able to use REST, but it can support both SOAP and REST. You're able to integrate quite a lot of systems, which may not be able to in other solutions. You can also use XML and JSON. It is a standardizing type of tool. It doesn't matter whether I'm using JSON or XML, it can convert them."
  • "The technical support is good, we have premier support which costs extra."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle SOA Suite for integration for both our internal and external systems. For the internal systems, we use a gateway to connect to it, and for the third party connections. We use Oracle SOA Suite for orchestration, transformation, and translation.

What is most valuable?

In Oracle SOA Suite some applications are not able to use REST, but it can support both SOAP and REST. You're able to integrate quite a lot of systems, which may not be able to in other solutions. You can also use XML and JSON. It is a standardizing type of tool. It doesn't matter whether I'm using JSON or XML, it can convert them. After starting to use this solution your time to take products to production becomes a bit faster. I've learned to embrace new technologies and to take the opportunity to learn and make use of the new technologies that are there. For example, if you can reuse an API or a service, then it saves you a lot of development time and makes the teams deliver much faster. Overall the solution is quite versatile.

What needs improvement?

The resiliency of this application can have problems with a downstream system., sometimes it's unable to recover quickly. You have to restart the services. However, this is most likely because I'm using an old version, which is 12.1.3, but if I upgrade to 12.2, then that will problem will be resolved. I'm in the process of thinking of upgrading it.

I have been using Oracle SOA Suite for approximately seven years.
Application Infrastructure
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Red Hat, WSO2 and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: June 2022.
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Oracle SOA Suite is stable as long as you do the correct installation, with the architecture. It's good and very stable. I have quite a lot of services that run using it.

The solution is highly scalable because I'm using three nodes, three physical nodes, or virtual machines, and if I want to add a fourth one, I can add it very easily. You can add more nodes and more managed servers. We call them managed servers, without any downtime. We have more than one node, and maintenance becomes very easy. If your architecture is done well everything will work perfectly. For example, installing the solution on at least two nodes for higher availability is scalable. We have approximately 300 services running and the number of users can vary. The user count can vary because different applications can call the same service, we reuse these services. For example, at any one time, we could have approximately 50,000 messages passing through in about 10 minutes every ten minutes.

The technical support is good, we have premier support which costs extra.

We previously have not used another similar solution.

The installation can be straightforward if you follow the right guidance from Oracle. The infrastructure needs to be properly done. The full implementation took use approximately one year, but it was because we have a  disaster recovery(DR) site also. We had to install it on both sides. We installed it on the DR site, used it, then copied it onto the DC site, the goal was for it to be faster.

We used Oracle consulting services for the implementation, they are very good. We have at least four infrastructure engineers working on the support of the solution because you need people shadowing each other. Four should be good. You will need an infrastructure person because it runs on WebLogic. Another person who can set up the infrastructure, and someone else who can work on the Oracle SOA Suite, which involves many services. Your security team needs to get involved too, they are part of this project. However, there are only two main technical people involved, infrastructure and product person.

We have evaluated other options.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to use Oracle SOA Suite, it's a great product. Now that we have the cloud solution, if your other products are in the cloud, then you can implement the cloud-based version. Most of my applications are on-premise, and that is why I am using the on-premise version. I would recommend the solution to anyone who wants stable, scalable, very versatile, and resilient, integration software. I rate Oracle SOA Suite an eight out of ten.

Application Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
Flexible, has a good dashboard, and the end-to-end Java support lends well to customization
  • "In case there is something that doesn't work out of the box, you have the flexibility to customize it."
  • "They supply lots of documentation but finding what we need is challenging at times."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for integrating with Salesforce and SaaS applications that our company uses for quality. We also have other legacy applications, and now, we are integrating the tool with our internal applications. We are also using Oracle B2B, which is part of SOA.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the dashboard and audit trail

They have a good auditing feature.

It offers end-to-end Java support and JavaScript support. In case there is something that doesn't work out of the box, you have the flexibility to customize it.

What needs improvement?

There are networking and firewall issues that tend to delay our projects. I believe that is the case with any middleware.

The documentation and details can be a little better, and more user-friendly. They supply lots of documentation but finding what we need is challenging at times.

There is room for improvement in terms of support.

In the next version of this solution, I would like to see improvements made to the test environment for real-time testing. There is a lot of new software that isn't there until you deploy, which means that you cannot test real-time.

We have been using the Oracle SOA Suite for three years.

It has been stable for us, so far.

We do not have many integrations. We have a very small team and we have four or five consultants working for us. Together with a couple of people in our organization, there are six or seven people who have access to manage.

The technical support from Oracle is good, although it can be better.

The initial setup is not very complex.

Our scenario is different. We do not have write access in our production environment, so we have to depend on Oracle Managed Services. Because they have to make the changes, it gets a little bit delayed. If we had the write permissions then it wouldn't be an issue.

Our in-house team deployed it.

When I began working with this product three years ago, the company already had Oracle EBS and other Oracle software that was already in use. We recently evaluated other products but we thought it was the best option to go with Oracle.

One of the reasons is that there is a lot of code involved, and we would have had to write everything into the new software.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others. That said, there are a lot of new products that are coming onto the market, including open-source solutions. If people are starting from scratch then I would recommend evaluating several of them.

Application Infrastructure
June 2022
607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tech Lead at NCR Corporation
Leaderboard
A critical product that my company uses extensively, but data monitoring needs improvement
  • "This is one of the critical products for my company and we use it extensively. We currently use each and every feature of Oracle SOA."
  • "An important area that can be improved is the product's data monitoring. When we use the solution for interfacing or end-to-end data monitoring, we want to know exactly where the data is going and exactly where it is failing, or where there is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use the solution internally to interface between two applications.

We also use it for our external customers. They send us data and we transform that data to use in our applications, or we store it in our database for further use.

What needs improvement?

An important area that can be improved is the product's data monitoring. When we use the solution for interfacing or end-to-end data monitoring, we want to know exactly where the data is going and exactly where it is failing, or where there is an issue.

Our organization has been using this product for 10 years.

It is stable because it's quite an old product from Oracle.

Since we are using the solution on-premises, scalability may be the real challenge. We are moving towards using the cloud or Oracle cloud, so maybe the scalability will be easier if we move to the cloud. This challenge isn't caused by Oracle, it's because it is on-premises. I don't want to blame Oracle for the scalability challenges.

Oracle's technical support is not very good, but it is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

It was not really complex and not really straightforward. It was somewhere in between the two.

We are currently using the DevOps model, so it is deployed through DevOps. Deployment is not taking much time because we are not doing it manually. It is an automated deployment.

Usually regarding Oracle products, deployment takes time because it requires manual effort to go around and deploy the code correctly.

What other advice do I have?

Over one thousand people in my organization use this solution, including external customers, IT engineers, and our administration team. This is a middleware product for our organization. I mean that it's one of the critical products for my company, and we use it extensively. We currently use each and every feature of Oracle SOA.

I would rate this product either a six or a seven. If you are going to use this product, I suggest making sure that it is designed well by an architect so you can use it effectively. The effectiveness depends on the architect who is going to introduce and implement this product.

Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Red Hat, WSO2, and more!
Updated: June 2022