Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance is the #10 ranked solution in top Cloud Cost Management tools. PeerSpot users give Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance is most commonly compared to Azure Cost Management: Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance vs Azure Cost Management. Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Cloud Cost Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance?

Beam is a multi-cloud optimization service delivered as part of the Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS. Beam provides organizations with deep visibility and rich analytics detailing cloud consumption patterns, along with one-click cost optimization across their cloud environments.

For more information: https://www.nutanix.com/products/beam/signup-3/

Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance was previously known as Botmetric, Nutanix Xi Beam.

Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance Customers

Samsung, Axcient, Jitterbit, Calance, Metabiota

Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance Video

Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance pricing:
  • "I rate Cost Governance an eight out of 10 for pricing. There are different plans, so you can pay monthly or yearly. You can also sign a three-year contract. It's quite flexible. I can't give it a perfect 10, because customers always want a cheaper solution."
  • "I think it can be more cost-effective."
  • Nutanix Cloud Management Cost Governance Reviews

Eduardo-Penedos - PeerSpot reviewer
    Telcommunications expert at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It has nice-looking dashboards and automated reporting
    • "The solution has automated reports and workflows. You can configure it to automatically send out reports to the business units responsible for managing cloud costs, so you don't need to log into the tool to get information. Cost Governance's user interface and dashboards are beautiful. The customers love it because it's easy to use. They can run it and get a report an hour later to immediately see the savings."
    • "Azure has a public cloud offering, and it also has a CSP model that allows Microsoft partners to provide Azure as a service to their customers. Cost Governance only works on the standard public cloud, not the CSP model. When I was at my previous company, we frequently got requests for Azure CSP support. We also got some requests for Alibaba Cloud and Oracle Cloud, but Azure CSP was the biggest one."

What is our primary use case?

Cost Governance is a SaaS solution that helps customers optimize public cloud services. Most customers don't have a clear idea about workload sizing. We measure the usage compared to what has been defined and recommend ways to optimize.

You can use Cost Governance to perform cost governance in multi-cloud environments. It supports the three big public cloud providers — Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud Platform — and private clouds for Nutanix environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Cost Governance helps customers improve cloud performance and save money. Many customers have idle public cloud resources. Maybe someone creates an object and forgets to delete it when they are no longer using it.

The solution detects all the unused resources and recommends removal. It can even remove objects automatically, which translates to huge savings. It can also save you lots of money by suggesting that you use a pre-paid reserved instance instead of buying on-demand cloud resources.

What is most valuable?

The solution has automated reports and workflows. You can configure it to automatically send out reports to the business units responsible for managing cloud costs, so you don't need to log into the tool to get information. Cost Governance's user interface and dashboards are beautiful. The customers love it because it's easy to use. They can run it and get a report an hour later to immediately see the savings.

What needs improvement?

Azure has a public cloud offering, and it also has a CSP model that allows Microsoft partners to provide Azure as a service to their customers. Cost Governance only works on the standard public cloud, not the CSP model. When I was at my previous company, we frequently got requests for Azure CSP support. We also got some requests for Alibaba Cloud and Oracle Cloud, but Azure CSP was the biggest one.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, Cloudability, Microsoft and others in Cloud Cost Management. Updated: November 2022.
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I start working with Cost Governance (formerly Beam) a little more than a year ago. They don't have that many products because Nutanix is about a decade old. They've only begun to increase the portfolio in recent years. I was a portfolio specialist for a year, so I know most of the core solutions well.

It is Software as a Service, so there is nothing to scale. We can target customers with a small cloud footprint or customers that are huge. There is no need to scale anything because it's SaaS.

Of course, Cost governance is my first choice because I was selling it. However, I was competing with solutions from VMware and other vendors. At that time, we believed our product was much better, and our customers gave us feedback that this was the best solution.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10 for ease of deployment. Setting up the solution is straightforward because it's SaaS. You can sign up for a 14-day free trial by going to the website and registering your public account. It takes a couple of hours for Cost Governance to gather information and perform the computations. You don't need a dedicated person to deploy, manage or maintain it. Typically, each organization has someone who oversees public clouds and cost management.

Customers need to consider the total cost of ownership and how much they'll save using this solution. It has some advanced cost comparison features that aren't being utilized by many customers at the moment. You provide a specific workload, and the solution tells you where the workload will be the cheapest in your multi-cloud environment, including the private cloud.

For example, if you want to build an ACM, Cost Governance can say that will be cheaper if you deploy on-prem or in Azure. Most customers are not there yet, but if a customer is in that process, the value for the money will be a perfect 10.

I rate Cost Governance an eight out of 10 for pricing. There are different plans, so you can pay monthly or yearly. You can also sign a three-year contract. It's quite flexible.  I can't give it a perfect 10, because customers always want a cheaper solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Cost Governance a nine out of 10. I stopped short of rating it 10 because the lack of support for CSP was costing us some sales to big companies that had those types of contacts with Microsoft partners. Cost Governance's one shortcoming is a lack of support for specific environments. When I left the company, they planned to add support for those cloud environments, but I'm not sure if they've been publicly released yet.

Sampath Polisetty - PeerSpot reviewer
    AVP/Technology & Consulting at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    An excellent executive dashboard, but it doesn't show peak utilization and make recommendations
    • "The executive dashboard is valuable and provides a complete sense of the whole infrastructure."
    • "Few systems are not business-critical, but they run 24/7."

What is our primary use case?

We use Nutanix Xi Beam for cost optimization and security compliance.

What is most valuable?

Nutanix Xi Beam's executive dashboard is valuable. It provides a complete sense of the whole infrastructure, right from a costing standpoint and a billing standpoint. It also shows your compliance requirements and solution insights.

What needs improvement?

I think Nutanix Xi Beam can be more cost-effective.

This product should have a sense of what their users need. Few systems are not business-critical, but they run 24/7. This product usually works on average utilization. It should help us by showing the peak utilization and make recommendations. Otherwise, we play a blind game of cost optimization. If you reduce the configuration of the servers' recent size and the peak workloads come, there'll be a huge outcry because of business disruption.

Integrations are mostly based on APIs. It needs to build some good level of interoperability between the platforms, like in the multi-cloud environments. Otherwise, the process infrastructure isn't fully-fledged, and we won't know what kind of workloads can be offloaded from the cloud to on-premise. This can reduce the cloud's footprint, not just from a cost-saving standpoint within the cloud, but also from understanding the whole ecosystem and the infrastructure.

I have been using Nutanix Xi Beam for more than a year.

Nutanix Xi Beam is a stable solution. Our expectations are a bit average and not high. In that sense, it's good.

Initially, we had tech support, but now we're solely dependent on our in-house workforce capability.

I have used a startup solution called CloudOptics, as well.

The initial setup is straightforward. We didn't integrate it with anything, but we plan to integrate it with many other solutions to bring some interoperability to it.

We started small and then started expanding. Now it's targeting only AWS, and we don't have any difficulty with cloud deployment.

A reseller, a Nutanix partner, implemented it.

Initially, it was monthly, and now it's on a yearly basis.

I have used a startup solution called CloudOptics, as well. We had a good demo of Nutanix Xi Beam in 2018 0r 2017, and it was one of the best tools at that time. We stuck to two or three products. I think one was Tableau. We tried the Nutanix Xi Beam one-month free trial and saved a lot of dollars within that month. That's when our leadership made the call.

On a scale from one to ten, I'll give Nutanix Xi Beam a seven.

What other advice do I have?

I'll tell potential customers to explore their options because there are a number of competitors in terms of competency and pricing.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    November 2022
    655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ShaillenderMittal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Independent Consultant at perspektis
    The support is excellent and they helped us set the solution fast, but it has limited compatibility with GCP
    • "We haven't faced any problems because Nutanix provides an outside team. We haven't had any issues requiring L3 support, and the L1 and L2 engineers are on-site."
    • "Compatibility with multiple clouds and a single control would help us. We are also getting onto GCP, and there is limited compatibility with GCP in the areas we need. We are using GCP primarily for data analytics."

What is our primary use case?

We have some critical and not-so-critical applications. That's how we classify them broadly. The critical applications remain on-premise for us, while we're pushing the remaining ancillary applications to the cloud. That's how we use Nutanix Cloud Management.

We don't use it to manage cloud costs per se. We already have an enterprise agreement with Azure and AWS for cloud consumption. It's primarily to drive efficiency and migrate more applications to the cloud. Within the cloud division, we have around 52 engineers, and they all use it.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with multiple clouds and a single control would help us. We are also getting onto GCP, and there is limited compatibility with GCP in the areas we need. We are using GCP primarily for data analytics.

We started using Nutanix six months ago.

Nutanix is relatively stable.

Nutanix is scalable.

We haven't faced any problems because Nutanix provides an outside team. We haven't had any issues requiring L3 support, and the L1 and L2 engineers are on-site.

It was pretty easy to set up Nutanix Cloud Management because we had help from a Nutanix partner and a technician from the vendor. We had no problems getting up to speed on the solution. We were up and running in about 45 days.

We paid about 140 million Indian Rupees for a three-year cost. The price is reasonable and less expensive than managing the operations yourself.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Nutanix Cloud Management seven out of 10. Before implementing, I would suggest looking at the workloads you plan to use with Nutanix Cloud Management. Depending on the workload and the criticality or regulatory importance, you should decide whether to deploy.

Private Cloud
    Download our free Cloud Cost Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Nutanix, Cloudability, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: November 2022