IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

NGINX App Protect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

NGINX App Protect is #1 ranked solution in top API Security tools, #3 ranked solution in Container Security Solutions, and #10 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give NGINX App Protect an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. NGINX App Protect is most commonly compared to F5 Advanced WAF: NGINX App Protect vs F5 Advanced WAF. NGINX App Protect is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
NGINX App Protect Buyer's Guide

Download the NGINX App Protect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is NGINX App Protect?

NGINX App Protect application security solution combines the efficacy of advanced F5 web application firewall (WAF) technology with the agility and performance of NGINX Plus. The solution runs natively on NGINX Plus and addresses some of the most difficult challenges facing modern DevOps environments:

• Integrating security controls directly into the development automation pipeline
  • Applying and managing security for modern and distributed application environments such as containers and microservices
  • Providing the right level of security controls without impacting release and go-to-market velocity
  • Complying with security and regulatory requirements

NGINX App Protect offers:

• Expanded security beyond basic signatures to ensure adequate controls
  • F5 app‑security technology for efficacy superior to ModSecurity and other WAFs
  • Confidently run in “blocking” mode in production with proven F5 expertise
  • High‑confidence signatures for extremely low false positives
  • Increases visibility, integrating with third‑party analytics solutions
  • Integrates security and WAF natively into the CI/CD pipeline
  • Deploys as a lightweight software package that is agnostic of underlying infrastructure
  • Facilitates declarative policies for “security as code” and integration with DevOps tools
  • Decreases developer burden and provides feedback loop for quick security remediation
  • Accelerates time to market and reduces costs with DevSecOps‑automated security

NGINX App Protect was previously known as NGINX WAF, NGINX Web Application Firewall.

NGINX App Protect Video

Archived NGINX App Protect Reviews (more than two years old)

Vijay Lalwani - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Cyber Security (SOC) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to analyze security abnormalities, stable, and the support is good
  • "The most valuable feature is that there is a link in the system that will help to analyze the security of an application when something abnormal is found."
  • "Setting policies and parameters through the UI should be more automated because the process is manual, where we can only edit one rule at a time."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our entire set of web applications. This includes protecting against vulnerabilities as a result of programming errors.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This firewall should support more of the network layers.

Profiling capability should be improved.

Setting policies and parameters through the UI should be more automated because the process is manual, where we can only edit one rule at a time.

I have been using the NGINX Web Application Firewall for more than a year and a half.

NGINX App Protect
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about NGINX App Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, this solution is much better than Imperva.

In terms of scalability, depending on the application, there is a limit to how many policies I can design.

The technical support for this solution has improved. Imperva used to be better, but now, NGINX is more responsive.

I have also used Imperva. The stability and interface are better in the NGINX WAF. For example, it is easier to create new policies. Technical support from NGINX is also more responsive than that of Imperva.

The initial setup was complex in terms of deployment and fine-tuning.

We have more than ten applications so it took us between four and five months to deploy.

We had to contract a third-party consultant to assist us with the deployment. We are satisfied with their work

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience, this solution is better than the other choices on the market.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable system with good security and load balancing
  • "The most valuable feature is that I can establish different services from the firewall."
  • "The configuration needs to be more flexible because it is difficult to do things that are outside of the ordinary."

What is our primary use case?

We use WAF as part of our security solution, protecting applications such as internet banking.

It is used both as a web application firewall and for load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that I can establish different services from the firewall.

Using the standard configuration, it is very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

This solution would benefit from having a support portal that can be opened directly from the dashboard.

We have been using the NGINX WAF for five years.

This solution is very much stable. Once it is working, it stays working. We use it on a daily basis.

This solution is not really scalable. Both the virtual appliance and the physical appliance are limited in terms of how much traffic they can handle. If you need to scale up then you need to replace the box with a bigger one.

In my company, we have about 700 users. One of my customers has about 2,500 concurrent users, and another one has about 4,000. These are all internal users. I cannot tell how many external users are connecting from the internet, but it is an enormous number.

It takes time to deal with technical support because they are pretty busy, but when you get the support it is very good. They know what they're talking about.

Prior to using this solution, we tried open-source pfSense. However, most of my customers went to F5.

The initial installation is very simple. However, there is one issue with security certificates.

Any system that you publish that is a secure system needs to have a certificate implemented, and that is always a struggle. We have plenty of customers with this solution, and every time that we get to the step involving the certificate, extra work is required. It never works smoothly. You always have to go and manipulate the certificate and the system just to set it up. I'm not sure about the latest systems, but in the old models, this could not even be done through the GUI. You had to use the command line, even though the certificate is visible in the GUI. A combination of commands is required just to make it work.

The length of time to deploy a basic system is very short. For more complex scenarios, it can be a long process.

We do have a consultant to assist us with deployment. We do the initial configuration, but when it comes to things that don't work then we speak with F5 directly.

We have two people in place to maintain this product. One is from IT and the other takes care of the networking aspect.

The licensing fees for this solution are pretty expensive for what it does, but there is no alternative. The only alternative is Imperva, but that is even more expensive.

There is not much variety when it comes to web application firewalls that are also load-balancing solutions. Imperva is an alternative, although it is more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan well. You have to make sure that you plan ahead and know what it is that you want to achieve, then gather all of the relevant information. Otherwise, if you start to configure it and then find out that you don't have the right application server, or the right policy, or the proper certificate to install and configure it, then the installation will be very long. On the other hand, if the plan is very good and you have all of the details in advance, along with the right people to test it, then it should be straightforward.

NGINX App Protect
July 2022
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Platform Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
We use it together with AWS, to manage load balancing, topic migration and AV testing.
  • "It is a very good tool for load balancing."

What is our primary use case?

We generally use NGINX with a combination of docker downstream so we have a container running which exposes multiple boards. And in terms on which we are running NGINX directory maps into the ports. So there is a major use case and sometimes we use it for security headers forwarding.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We use NGINX for security headers, and as a proxy. It is also a very good tool for load balancing.

What needs improvement?

The contributions I think sometimes take a toll on you like you're going to spend a lot of time on the right contributions. So as a product it is good, but from the development standpoint but if you think about somebody who's not from development background, this won't work. It's not up to speed if you really realize. So the set up process, it's good from a development standpoint. The development was easy to set up because they know that their understanding of the machine that they are going to set it up and take care of everything else.

I have never used techical support.

Yes, it was pretty easy as far as I remember. So this company, everything was previously set up and we had all the predefined user scripts so even though we had come to set it up from scratch.

Download our free NGINX App Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022