Microsoft .NET Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft .NET Framework is the #6 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft .NET Framework an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Microsoft .NET Framework is most commonly compared to Apache Web Server: Microsoft .NET Framework vs Apache Web Server. Microsoft .NET Framework is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Microsoft .NET Framework?

Microsoft .NET Framework is a software development framework for building and running applications for Windows, Windows Phone, Windows servers, XML Web services, and Microsoft Azure. The software is made up of two major components: Common Language Runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework Class Library. The CLR is the execution engine that handles running apps and the Class Library is a library of tested, reusable code that developers can call from their own apps.

Microsoft .NET Framework Features

Microsoft .NET Framework has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Memory management: With Microsoft .NET Framework apps, the CLR allocates and releases memory and handles object lifetimes in many programming languages, so programmers are not responsible to do it.
  • Multitargeting: Microsoft .NET Framework targets .NET Standard, allowing developers to create class libraries that work on multiple Microsoft .NET Framework platforms.
  • A common type system: When using Microsoft .NET Framework, basic types are defined by the .NET Framework type system and are common to all languages that target Microsoft .NET Framework as opposed to traditional programming languages where basic types are defined by the compiler.
  • Side-by-side execution: By allowing multiple versions of the common language runtime to exist on the same computer, Microsoft .NET Framework helps resolve version conflicts. In addition, an app can run on the version of Microsoft .NET Framework with which it was built and multiple versions of apps can coexist.
  • Development frameworks and technologies: Microsoft .NET Framework provides libraries for specific areas of app development, such as ASP.NET for web apps, ADO.NET for data access, Windows Communication Foundation for service-oriented apps, and Windows Presentation Foundation for Windows desktop apps.

Microsoft .NET Framework Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Microsoft .NET Framework. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Language interoperability: With this Microsoft .NET Framework feature, routines written in one language are accessible to other languages, enabling programmers to focus on creating apps in their preferred languages.
  • Version compatibility: Microsoft .NET Framework offers version compatibility for rare occasions when apps that are developed by using a particular version of Microsoft .NET Framework happen to run without modification on a later version.
  • Extensive class library: With Microsoft .NET Framework, programmers have the ability to use a readily accessible Microsoft .NET Framework class library instead of having to write vast amounts of code to handle common low-level programming operations.

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Microsoft .NET Framework solution.

PeerSpot user, Syed A., Principal System Developer at a government, says the solution is a “Great all in one framework with extensive stack for web applications, windows applications and mobile applications.”

A QA Supervisor at a manufacturing company mentions, “It comes with many features that you can interact with and has all of the libraries readily available, which is not available in the RPA platforms. You can create your own SSIS package. You can integrate with all of the Windows objects, which is not available in Automation Anywhere, and you need to rely on their Object Cloning technologies to interact with them.”

Brennan G., IS Technical Architect at Avara Foods Holdings Limited, comments, “It is easy to use, and it runs on a Windows platform. The .NET Framework is a very good framework. It does what I need it to do.”

Microsoft .NET Framework was previously known as MS .NET Framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework Customers

Curtin University, Rockwell Automation, Aruba Networks, Insurity Inc., City of Barcelona, Pennsylvania DCNR, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, A1 Telekom Austria AG, Eastman Chemical Company

Microsoft .NET Framework Video

Archived Microsoft .NET Framework Reviews (more than two years old)

Solutions Architect
A easy program language that works well in Linux environments and is easy to implement
  • "Basically, .NET is simply is the easiest programming language to use, based on my experience."
  • ".NET Is still heavy or dependant on other Microsoft libraries and frameworks."

What is our primary use case?

Our development tools, our platform, every solution we've developed, most of them are Microsoft products. So we're using .NET.

Almost all of our enterprise applications are developed within that whether it will be reading those applications, web applications, or a background service, etc. Of course, there's a different case when it comes to our mobile application. We're quite open-minded and like to explore other frameworks due to the fact that there has been a lot of frameworks getting more popular nowadays.

What is most valuable?

I have very diverse experiences in most of the major programming frameworks, whether it is DHP, Java, etc.

Basically, .NET is simply is the easiest programming language to use, based on my experience. It has flaws, however, the performance and agility are much better compared to other programming languages.

They've done a lot in the past few years. You can see this especially in the fact that they allowed .NET to be run in Linux environments.

What needs improvement?

For .NET, what I can say is that maybe it needs adaptation of a more streamlined function. What we can see is vital is a simple programming model. However, .NET Is still heavy or dependant on other Microsoft libraries and frameworks. Therefore, although they're going there, they're already open-source for that network. There are lots of improvements that can be done there within that industry.

For example, .NET support needs to offer big data similar to Mongo DB or to the other big data technologies. It's still in its infancy from I've experienced. When it comes to the big data or data science fields, I think .NET framework has a lot of things to hash out.

Another item worth improving in .NET is support to Mac. There's still a lot of grey areas when you use a Mac. There's a lot of instability when it comes to that OS. .NET programming language will be very difficult to compete with when they fully jump into the Apple territory.

I've been dealing with the solution for probably more than ten years. I've been using .NET since the beginning when it was .NET 1.0. Therefore, I believe it's been more than a decade.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Magic Software, Apache and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. Aside from issues surrounding using Macs, it's not too glitchy. It doesn't freeze. It's pretty reliable.

The biggest problem with programming language nowadays, because there are a lot of things happening, is that changes happen too fast. Due to the competition, they tend to release new features almost every week. I don't think there's an exception on that one. In return, the application framework can have bugs in it.

Nowadays when it comes to scalability performance, it's in the hand of the programmers. It's not in the framework. Even if you're using a very efficient or powerful framework, if that application was developed improperly, it just makes everything else shakey. If the framework is there to help you to do the best practices and apply everything, .NET is still really good at doing that, compared to other frameworks. Almost everything is bootstrapped or is ready for you to use, unlike other frameworks like Java. You have to develop everything to make sure that it is able to address the issues. In .NET it's pretty straightforward.

If we contacted technical support it may have been a long time ago. Nowadays, it's rare to go directly to support. For the most part, all you need to do is Google your queries and you can find the answers yourself.

The tool itself, in terms of the initial implementation, is pretty straightforward. The tool will do everything for you, unlike other programming languages where you have to install these different dependencies, et cetera.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We use multiple deployment models. I'm using Azure Dev Ops for my previous projects, but for my company, we're using Jenkins to deploy our applications.

The good thing with the .NET framework is that it allows you to develop an application faster and in a professional way. The downside is that it's different due to the fact that it's abstract. It's different from every other program. You really need to know the fundamentals of software development. That's the downside. Using .NET You will be able to develop many applications without really knowing what the inner workings of that application are. Compared to Java, or C++ where you should be able to know every fundamental of every foundation, you don't need that deep knowledge with .NET. If there will be a trainee or entry-level person on the program, I suggest they study first computer programming fundamentals, maybe in Java or another more engineering-oriented programming language before they go deeper into the .NET framework. Or they should at least do their homework to learn those things.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If they slowed down a bit with the new releases and made sure they were bug-free before releasing them, I might rate it higher.

Syed Fahad Anwar - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal System Developer at HHRC
  • "The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCS."
  • "I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is custom business applications, Integration services using WCF/Web API.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this framework has enabled us to create services out of things things that we used to do manually. Not only has it made our lives easier, but it has increased productivity as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCF.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it. It would be much easier for us if there were more pre-built controls.

There should be more security features included.

The performance should be improved.

The technical support is in need of improvement to make solving issues more efficient.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for more than 16 years.

This is a very stable solution and we haven't had any issues.

This is a scalable framework but it depends on how you deploy the solution. Because it is a framework and not a product, it will give you options on how to develop your solution. If you develop it in a way that is scalable, then it will be scalable. But if you don't develop it properly then it will not be scalable.

In my previous company, we had approximately ten thousand users.

In my current company, we only use this solution internally. We have fewer than ten people, and they are business users. We do not currently have plans to increase usage but it may happen in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft technical support a seven.

Whenever we are trying to solve issues by dealing with Microsoft, they ask so many irrelevant questions that it delays things.

We are also using WebLogic Suite with SharePoint on the server-side.

The initial setup was straightforward and the deployment took not more than two to three days.

We implemented this solution using our in-house team.

The Microsoft .NET Framework is free of charge, without licensing cost. The only cost is purchasing the hardware that it runs on.

Java SDK. Java SDK is also good but require little bit more effort.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who wants to use the Microsoft .NET Framework is to have the proper foundation before implementing the solution. This means that they should lay the architecture first, properly, and then develop the solution based on the architecture. Without this, the solution will not be scalable and will suffer from problems in the long run.

This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Associate Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great customization and consistently delivers in enterprise-size companies
  • "Proven solution with valuable customization."
  • "Lacking in auto-scaling."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is generally for clients that are enterprise-sized businesses like insurance companies or bit telecom companies in the US. They are generally the customers that use this solution and my company provides services to them. Our work is related to putting the solution together and implementing the whole thing end to end. A lot of companies are moving towards the cloud, so either it's AWS or Azure or Google. Google is not as popular as AWS, followed by Microsoft Azure. And of course there are a lot of products on Microsoft which are also popular like their database and of course the Windows server and things like that.

We're a partner of Microsoft and I'm the associate director of our company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the customization and the support moving towards a .Net framework.

What needs improvement?

Nothing in particular comes to mind in terms of improvement. It's a proven solution and it really depends on the resources that a company has for maintenance once a solution is in place. That said, it would be good if auto-scaling could be included. I also believe implementation could be simplified.

Microsoft has got a lot of products and improvements would be in the context of a particular product. I've seen there are areas that are much harder to capture - so things like auto scaling and implementation could be improved.

I've been using this solution for three or four years.

It's a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

The technical support is good and they also have some community forums where people can get quick responses to some of the queries that they have. So the community is good.

I"ve used Java previously and find it a more portable solution.

Initial setup is somewhat complex and requires some training. I would say that Microsoft can  improve on that somewhat in terms of enabling someone to understand the process and set it up themselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend that anyone considering implementing the solution do a proof of concept. That gives you an idea as to whether you're on the right path. A company also needs to take into account the requirements of their organization in terms of scalability and ease of maintenance and also whether they have the skill set to maintain the IT resources required. A lot goes into it but proof of concept would be good before going ahead.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
David Shlingbaum - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Development Manager, Architect, Developer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Rich libraries and very good development tools are key to this great solution
  • "Ease of use, the richness of the libraries and basically very good development tools."
  • "The .NET open source community could be larger."

What is our primary use case?

Basically all my development work is done with .NET Framework. It's web services, data processing, get web APIs, and also web development. I work as an IT development manager and am also an architect.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use, the richness of the libraries and basically the good tools are all valuable features. Most important are the very good development tools that Microsoft has, it's a good environment.

What needs improvement?

Things could always be a little easier and smoother. You'll sometimes find bugs but because I'm using an older version these bugs have already been fixed in later versions. The .NET open source community is very small and it would be nice if it were larger. I know Microsoft is now contributing a lot, but in other languages there's not too many frameworks that are not Microsoft. It would be good to have a richer environment for that.

The solution could include an open source framework as an additional feature, I can't think of anything else.

I've been using the solution for a total of about 15 years, although I had a break from it for a while.

The stability is fine.

I think scalability is more a matter of architecture. One of the things possibly missing is, as already mentioned, open source framework. You can use Kubernetes or something called Orleans but there's not too much richness in that area, but there are solutions. Scalability is a matter of architecture, it's not a matter of programming language.

I have an option for technical support but haven't used it. I generally find my solutions on the internet.

The new versions are really, really easy and smooth and they get their updates. I'm migrating now from an older to a newer version and the setup is very easy. The old version had some glitches. I think the setup of the tool is fairly easy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that C# is a very rich language with lots of advanced facilities, which makes it easier to develop by not being too complex. There are a lot of libraries in out-of-the- box .NET Frameworks, which gives you tools to do almost anything you need and there are extension libraries for most of the rest. It's not the same as Python which is a bit slower but has a lot of libraries because everybody writes libraries for Python. But most of the time I find what I need.

I would rate this product a 10 out of 10.

Business Transformation and Automation Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Excellent ability to incorporate the customers, very stable, and offers good scalability
  • "I'd rate the solution as highly stable."
  • "The pricing is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a self-check-in tool for customers for a number of hotels.

What is most valuable?

The ability to incorporate the customers is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The pricing and support have room for improvement. The pricing is too high currently. We are thinking about the pricing from the end customer's perspective.

I've been using the solution for around three years.

I'd rate the solution as highly stable.

The solution offers good scalability capabilities. There are tens of thousands of end-users on the solution currently.

I've never been directly in touch with Microsoft's technical support team. My team has been, however, and I'd say, according to them, they are quite responsive.

We did previously use a different solution. We switched because of the lack of quality within the other solution. The way Microsoft adapted to the corporate customers, offered stability and scalability, and also the quality of support were some of the reasons we switched.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It's complex. Typically, deployment takes one year.

I handled the implementation myself with the assistance of my team.

The pricing is a bit expensive.

We did evaluate other options. We looked at both Java and PHP.

What other advice do I have?

We are official partners and we are sellers for UiPath. For Microsoft, however, we're just customers.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using.

I'd advise others to find a solution that is suitable to the customer's needs and to examine the customer's business case before deploying anything. In our case, this solution was something that is a bit more expensive. However, it's of the highest caliber and it's stable. In this scenario, it made sense for us to choose Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution to others serving a similar type of customer.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

YasirMehmood - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at Komatsu
Easy modular development with good technical support, but the features could be enhanced
  • "As we are a software company, we find that accessing resources using this technology is easier compared to the others."
  • "In the next release, I am looking for more advanced technologies such as socket communication and enhanced features like realtime chat with the clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software company, and we build software. This is one of the solutions that we use in our development environment.

I have a profound handle on Microsoft. Net Framework.

What is most valuable?

As we are a software company, we find that accessing resources using this technology is easier compared to the others.

What needs improvement?

The main obstacle in this technology is that it is currently paid. If you want to develop an enterprise-level application, you have to purchase the enterprise-level development license. I think that this is a hurdle. If it is made free then more people will learn and the industry will have more proficient people with better performance.

In the next release, I am looking for more advanced technologies such as socket communication and enhanced features like realtime chat with the clients. This is what I have been looking at adopting into my existing application.

I have approximately six years of experience with Microsoft .NET Framework.

This solution is stable if the logic is handled sufficiently. It all depends on what kind of coding you are doing while you are developing the application.

This solution is scalable. The modular development plus expansion is quite easy.

We have 2000 users who are actively using this solution.

When we contact technical support, we open a ticket with the vendor, who then assigns us to a person. We meet to discuss the technical challenges we are facing and they come up with a solution.

Previously, we were using the IBM integration bus.

We were using Microsoft, Mobility Android, and iOS applications.

Most of my experience is with Microsoft solutions.

The initial setup was quite easy. The installation itself is easy. The prerequisites are already available on the internet.

It is a two-step deployment, the first being the development environment. The installation of that took between one hour and an hour and a half. For the processing, the deployment was a little bit different. I needed the information server hosting the Microsoft application.

While it's on a public cloud, some are on-premises that are accessed by the application.

We have a team of ten to maintain this solution. There are several internal connections to the system. For example, an interface with the other system which included SAP, Oracle, and IAD. The team looks for support queries that include any issues found or for any troubleshooting that needs assistance.

What other advice do I have?

There are proper resources. Stability and scalability are quite good. We handle 3000 to 4000 users at any time and they are users from all over the world, including North America, Australia, and the Middle East. This is a good option for the level of the audience.

We are using version 4.5 but we are gathering a few more projects that are running on version 4.7 and 4.8.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Ashish-Kamat - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Consultant at Wipro
A mature development platform with a helpful IDE and extensive documentation
  • "The .NET framework is a mature platform that is very helpful and saves time during the software development process."
  • "If Microsoft would provide a monthly subscription at a cost that a developer can afford then it would be really helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are part of the development team.

We use this solution with TFS as our ALM tool, and we use the information server for the deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been using this solution for development for a long time and it has proven to be helpful.

What is most valuable?

The .NET framework is a mature platform that is very helpful and saves time during the software development process.

The IDE is quite helpful.

There is a lot of very extensive documentation available.

What needs improvement?

The price of the Enterprise version is quite high and can be improved. If Microsoft would provide a monthly subscription at a cost that a developer can afford then it would be really helpful.

From a security standpoint, the tools are not that mature.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for more than 25 years.

This is a very stable platform for enterprise development. It has been maturing since its inception and is very helpful for delivering products.

We have dealt with the technical support team and they are very helpful. Whenever there are issues, especially when troubleshooting in a production environment, Microsoft and the support people provide a lot of technical expertise and we are very happy with it.

This product is really helpful when compared to other solutions such as open-source platforms. All of the tools are interlinked, rather than having individual tools for individual features. What Microsoft provides is a complete tool, with all of the features contained.

The initial setup is easy. There is a vast amount of resources made available by Microsoft and a lot of guidance being provided to the developers.

I lead a development team and the team members perform the deployments. There is a lot of guidance available on the Microsoft website that is really good, so the deployments are not troublesome.

There is a Community Edition that can be used free of charge, but the licensing cost for the Enterprise version is quite high. Some of the tools that are available in the Community Edition need a valid license to run.

Compared to other vendors, Microsoft products definitely have a higher price tag. I would say that is my only grievance.

What other advice do I have?

Talking from an application developer's perspective, this platform is very helpful because it provides a common development line across all of the products that Microsoft provides. This includes things like Microsoft Dynamics, the Cloud Integration tool, and SharePoint. It makes it very easy to jump from one application tool to the other.

The Community Edition can be used free of charge and is helpful for both new developers, as well as those who are shifting to the Microsoft platform.

Over time, this product has matured and all of the new features have been helpful in improving the performance of application developers. Overall, we are very satisfied with using this platform for application development. It is very good. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AndreasSemousu - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Sales Manager at Skhomo Technologies
Cross platform development that is user-friendly and has good support
  • "When it comes to the user interface, the context is better than other tools because it is easier to use."
  • "They should have more training materials available that are specific to .NET. We spend a lot of money training our engineers."

What is our primary use case?

We are working with version 2019, but we have clients who are still on older versions. We deployed the solution in 2014 or 2015 and they still haven't upgraded.

What is most valuable?

Cross-platform development is better than all of the other frameworks. When it comes to the user interface, the context is better than other tools because it is easier to use. You can still use C# in the developer infrastructure, which makes it far better and you don't have to learn a new language.

For me, the cost is what is most important. We have an agreement with Microsoft to co-sell some of the applications. When we started developing using the Microsoft Framework, it went well because we started making more money than the cost to Microsoft. We don't have this agreement with Red Hat or JBoss.

One thing that I like is that from the usability point of view, nothing has changed all that much. We use Visual Studio and if you compare the older version of Visual Studio from 2013 to the 2019 edition, the scale is still there. You're not moving to a different environment and you are still able to find your way around very quickly. With the new features, we are still able to feel those out within a short period.

For the mobile application, I like the iOS interface. Android is a little different from what you have on iOS, but the iOS package includes the same thing.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be cheaper.

They should have more training materials available that are specific to .NET. We spend a lot of money training our engineers. I think that it would be better if there was more training available to the partners who invest in Microsoft.

At this time, the training is all over the place and there is no specific certification.

This solution is not scalable with older versions without using patches for it to work.

I have been working with this solution for more than ten years.

Microsoft's strategy is not scalable, especially with the Visual Studio environment. If for example, I am testing things from on older version, it's not available in the newer version. You will have to use notes and the patches for it to work.

Currently, we have two enterprises. One of them has over 1000 employees and an IT department with 200 developers.

The technical support has been excellent. If you are working with them, they are always there to connect with you all the way, which makes things so much better.

The first day takes a couple of hours and the second day is for the configuration and switching everything out to make sure that everyone has access to it. Then they test everything to make sure that it is fine and working. It's not a lot of work for us to do.

The support has been very good, maybe because we have a local office with resources.

Some of the issues with support is not with .NET, it's dealing with some of the packages that should offer support. One of the new products that Microsoft has introduced is called Dynamics 365, this is outside of .NET. We have been struggling to find someone for support, but unfortunately, it has to be through the US.

When it comes to everything else, the .NET Framework has a lot of support from the local Office.

If they struggle with .NET there is someone in the UK office that would be able to assist us.

The initial setup is easy for our guys who spend quite a bit of time with Microsoft.

Just today, one of the guys set up an environment for one of our clients on Azure. This was a Visual Studio environment and it took him two hours. He did not encounter any difficulties.

We have guys take care of the server section and we have our developers that implement from the installation for the environment.

It seems very easy for them to get everything up and running.

What other advice do I have?

Small clients don't do their development internally. We have three of these types of clients. Small to medium-sized organizations don't have an environment because they are easy to develop with easy requirements.

I would recommend this solution but it depends on the environment and what they want to do.

If you do mobile applications, to avoid the headaches of doing development on multiple platforms, I think that .NET is something that really works. We have tried everything, so when we try iOS it becomes a problem because we have to re-develop what you do for Android on iOS, even though we don't use Windows phones anymore. We can still use the same tools for your desktop applications.

If you have a different environment then you have to develop based on whatever application you are going to run your application on.

AbdulshukoorMohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager Information Technology & Enterprise Applications Manager at OXFORD HOLDING
A flexible and cost-effective framework for developers of business applications
  • "The most valuable feature is the financial accounting."
  • "This solution should include Power BI so that we don't have to use any third-party tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for point-of-sale and finances. We also use it for maintaining student information, details about teachers, attendance, and grades.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the financial accounting.

What needs improvement?

This solution should include Power BI so that we don't have to use any third-party tools. Including business intelligence tools would allow for easy understanding and quick decision making. It will help as it is for summarizing all of the business-specific analytics.

We have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for six years.

The Microsoft .NET Framework is 100% stable. We have to use it for our day-to-day activities. Also, based on the business functionality you have to keep upgrading.

This platform is easy to scale. We have approximately 100 users, five of which are administrators and the remainder are business users.

We have been in touch with Microsoft technical support and we are happy with their work.

Prior to Microsoft .NET, we used Oracle DPK. The problem with DPK is that it is old technology that was used ten or twelve years ago. It has some limitations regarding client-server models.

We switched because .NET is a very flexible framework for enhancements, and it is cost-effective for developers.

The initial setup is easy.

We used consultants for the deployment and we use third-party business intelligence tools for the integration.

We did have the option to go with PHP and Joomla, but we were concerned that it may not be available after a few years. When it comes to Microsoft technology, it is more stable and because they are a giant in technology, .NET will be an everlasting solution for which we can always find developers and support.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Mohamed Abdel Rhman - PeerSpot reviewer
R&D Supervisor at Ofissoft
Easy to set up and the community chat provides good technical support
  • "The most valuable features are the Domain Controller and the WBFS Manager."
  • "Better integration with other tools to make the operation faster would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for infrastructure work and Business Intelligence.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Domain Controller and the WBFS Manager.

The integration services allow us to connect to resources like Oracle.

What needs improvement?

There are certain tools, such as Oracle, that this solution does not integrate well with. The performance is slow and the connection takes a long time. Better integration with other tools to make the operation faster would be an improvement.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for one year.

There were problems with the older versions of this solution. The newest version is stable, but sometimes you have multiple versions installed and you have to switch between them. You don't always know if you're compiling with the most recent version.

I am the only one who is working with this solution in my company.

I always use the community chat and my experience with it is very good.

The initial setup is easy. Finding services is easy on the service tab. You can install the features that you want to use. It is better than using the Control Panel to add features, which was the old way to do it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend, but the best versions to have are 3.5 and 4.

Alireza-Nikseresht - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Shiraz University
Has improved our efficiency in the time it takes to program a solution
  • "A great solution for creating program solutions in a framework for Microsoft Windows quickly and easily."
  • "It would be nice if the framework were able to work with additional environments and systems like Linux."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to be able to build solutions more quickly and easily that has good flexibility. When you want to build a product, you have to have faith in the nature of its functionality and know you can write your code to run on their core. Another solution is to write software code to run on top of the framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework is a very good infrastructure and we program over that. It handles many tasks for us and it helps us to write our programs very fast and very efficiently. Although it is like a virtual machine, it is still fast — or faster — and it is efficient. Compared to Java Virtual Machine (JVM), I prefer to use the Microsoft .NET Framework because it is built specifically to work with Microsoft Windows. I have grown to trust Microsoft over a long time and we can easily write programs in familiar languages to work with Windows over the Microsoft .NET Framework.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our efficiency in the time it takes to program a solution.

What is most valuable?

For us, direct integration with Microsoft Windows is probably the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

One thing that could improve Microsoft .NET Framework is to give it more flexibility. It is designed to work just on Windows. If it could run over Linux, over MAC, over mobile phone, etcetera, it would be a very good improvement. If it were the case, I would be able to write a program and I could be sure that my program would run on all those platforms and over other operating systems.

I know that Microsoft is currently working on solutions for this and the company makes .NET Core now. The .NET Core they propose is a framework like .NET Framework that will allow implementing programs across other operating systems like Linux. It is introduced in idea, but it has a lot of room for improvement.

If I were able to install Microsoft .NET Core over other operating systems, such as Linux, Unix, or mobile and it works as well as .NET Framework, then it solves other problems for me.

I'm using Microsoft .NET framework over different versions from 2003 up to now. A total of about 16 years.

The stability of the current version of the product is very good. In the lower versions of the framework, sometimes I saw a crash but after version 4, I haven't seen any crashes. It is really, really stable and I like it. I wrote some services that have run for about a year without any crash at all. All issues with stability seem to be fixed.

Microsoft .NET Framework is a solution, where the scalability is dependent on the programmer. The programmer could write a very large scale project — a large scale enterprise solution — using .NET Framework. They can also work on much smaller projects. It is just a tool to use.

All of our company members and all of our customers currently use the .NET Framework. The programmers write based on that .NET Framework. We define the scope of our work based on the project. Some projects need four to five programmers, but on some projects need ten to twenty staff. It depends what has to be done.

We can scale at any time except with some limitations on operating systems. By making our applications based on .NET Framework, our applications run already on the .NET Framework for our clients. When we do the development for our programs based on .NET Framework, our customers who want to use this solution also have to use .NET Framework. This is why it is a little limiting.

The technical support is really, really good. Every time that I ask a question on the Microsoft Network, someone answers me and I never have felt ignored when I need some type of support. I am very satisfied with their work in supporting the .NET Framework.

Previously, I used C++ for my development and it wasn't over any framework. It was the mentality at the time. When I saw the benefit of using a framework like .NET, I saw the simplicity of working over frameworks and the development advantages. That is when I decided to switch over to .NET Framework.

Installation is very straightforward for the Microsoft .NET Framework. I never heard any complaints from any of my customers. Even those customers who still use a lower version of Windows like Windows XP or Windows 7 don't have problems. Because .NET Framework is not pre-installed on Windows 7 or on Windows XP or 7, the customers need to install it themselves. But on Windows 8 and 10, Microsoft .NET Framework is pre-installed.

I never heard any complaints from my customers who couldn't install the .NET Framework, and none have said they had difficulty with .NET Framework. They all have said they could install it very easily and get running with it without a problem.

How long will it take to make it do what you want depends on the things you want to accomplish. Some products take more or less time to deploy and some solutions take more to build. But the .NET Framework is very fast, not hard to learn, and even amateurs don't have a hard time with deployment and getting started.

We deploy this solution by ourselves. We never have had to reach out for help from vendors or other consultancies for the product itself. The programming is a different thing and is not the fault of the product.

One advantage to Microsoft .NET Framework is that it is a free product and everyone can use it. It is a very good point about that product because it makes it friendly and easy to adopt over many users. The solutions and use of technical support are free as well.

We did evaluate at least one other option before choosing Microsoft's .NET Framework. It was JAVA Bridge, but I prefer to use Microsoft .NET Framework because I only wanted to develop for Microsoft products and Microsoft Windows. The .NET Framework is, I think, more compatible with Windows than JAVA Bridge Virtual Machine.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice that I would give to people considering the use of this product is to use it because of several things: it is free of charge, it is fast, it is compatible with Microsoft Windows, and whenever a new version comes out, it supports the older version. These are all very good points. The development of the framework is really good and was approached intelligently.

If considering other options, when you want to use a framework, you have to look at its ability to work with different types of other products. With the.NET Framework, you are able to work with different environments like Microsoft SQL Server 7, MySQL, Oracle — any kind of database. You have to also know its limitations. It is my opinion that when you want to use the .NET Framework, it is a very good solution and you can have confidence in the functionality. The stability of the framework you choose is very important.

On a scale of one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate this product as a ten because my standard is Microsoft products.

Andrew McFall III - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer at Micron Technologies, Inc
It simplified operations dealing with the allocation and deallocation of memory spaces
  • "Initial setup is straightforward. All the components are readily available."
  • "The addition of generics to handle common functionality across types, and the more recent upgrade of the dataset to the Entity Framework, has cut development time drastically, while increasing quality and confidence between builds."
  • "The .NET Framework simplified operations dealing with the allocation and deallocation of memory spaces and the additional processing resources."
  • "Needs stronger security with respect to cloud issues."

What is our primary use case?

The .NET Framework is the foundation for software design and development. This is the context that I use it in, and the perspective that I view the discussion about it.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming out of C++, the .NET Framework simplified operations dealing with the allocation and deallocation of memory spaces and the additional processing resources. Adding this feature to the .NET Framework has freed countless hours of leak management.

What is most valuable?

The addition of generics to handle common functionality across types, and the more recent upgrade of the dataset to the Entity Framework, has cut development time drastically, while increasing quality and confidence between builds. Finally, the test framework allows for increased velocity.

Most recently, the updates tot he Entity Framework, and the addition of the ability to work with mobile applications have also been huge additions

What needs improvement?

• Stronger security with respect to cloud issues
  • Greater flexibility with data connections
  • Better control
  • Extensibility of the framework as a whole

More than five years.

Changes in technology generally happen faster than any single entity can keep up with. But the side-by-side Runyon capability handles most stability issues behind the scenes.

Only the ones that were fixed.

I have not had to use the support.

It is straightforward. All the components are readily available.

Started as part of a school program.

I can't measure ROI, because I've never used a different technology stack.  Switching from one to another has not been an issue.

Do your homework. Consider the partnership program.

What other advice do I have?

With the advent of IoT, combined with cross-platform development, the .Net framework becomes much more versatile. We should begin to see apps scaling down in size, but also (literally) covering more ground.

System Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Supports our development of multiple in-house applications and systems

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple in-house leasing and financing products (Contract Management System, Point of Sale, Credit Acceptance Management, Field Force Agent, Document Tracking) developed on .NET framework 4.5.2 with WPF, Silverlight, WCF and WWF technologies. We use smart client applications for client-side and Business Process Manager (i.e. based on WWF) for orchestration of business processes. We also have proprietary Task Assignment Workflow which is highly configurable based on business rules. Our clients can create custom business rules with the help of the data dictionary shared with them.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is evolving, based on the day-to-day needs of our customers and we are making sure to include maximum functionality to support their businesses. The main focus is on "more configuration and less coding," by using industry standard tools.

What is most valuable?

• Business Process Manager (BPM)
  • Business Rules Engine (BRM)
  • Document Management System (DMS)
  • Automatic Release Deployment via PowerShell and Octopus
  • Integration Hub serving as Enterprise Service Bus
  • Metadata (i.e. compose database tables/columns, XML nodes; file data into placeholders so they can be placed in BPM, BRM, DMS)

What needs improvement?

I think we need improvement in our BPM module so that can become more user-friendly for our customers. There is plenty of room in WWF for improvement to make the UI/UX better for the end user, so they are comfortable with the orchestration.

More than five years.

We have issues with websites that are based on Angular, but the rest of the applications or websites are stable so far.

The only issue I have encountered is based on Queue Management. Regardless of whether it is Microsoft or IBM Message Queue, I have had issues while scaling them. The only option I have found is the introduction of multi-threading, but threads consume more processing power.

We were previously using PowerBuilder and then switched because of industry demands for transformation into new technology.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at eight out of 10, as we can perform plenty of improvements in all our current products and can improve the UI/UX to meet the needs of the client.

Pradip K. Wani - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Architecture/Design with 51-200 employees
The dynamic web content handling is valuable. The Microsoft world of web is programmable with the use of reusable and redistributable web components and systems.

What is most valuable?

As hardware evolved as mainframe, mid-range, mini, micro, personal computers (PC), while miniaturizing the silicon chips and other computer parts, computer software evolved as operating systems, systems software, computer applications, files (to persistent data), databases, etc. After mainframe applications, there was an age of client server software with PowerBuilder-Sybase-Oracle-Visual Basic.

Later came the web applications, where a client computer communicates a request to a server computer and the server computer sends a response to the client computer, in the form of static HTML. The browser, like Netscape or Internet Explorer, captures this response and serves it as web page on the client computer. Though the web request-response is here, still the "forms-with-fields-and-buttons" or "PDF-or-word-report"....

With the advent of client-server and web technology, applications went from monolithic spaghetti-code software to 3-layer and later, n-tier applications. Computer application code became structured and modular, functional, distributed (COM, D-COM and remoting), object-oriented to these days service-oriented web service-based applications.

All these days, Microsoft was walking hand-in-hand with other technology vendors, leading in some innovation and following in some. Microsoft was a large part of this entire IT revolution. Microsoft technology coding practices evolved from MS-DOS, Q-BASIC, MS Windows, client-server oriented Visual Basic, Visual C++ and application-friendlier COM components, and ActiveX. With the web era, Microsoft introduced server-side script (VB Script) and client-side (browser) (JavaScript)-based ASP (Active Server Pages). Until this point, the concept of .NET and the .NET framework was not in the picture. HTML pages were static and an attempt was made to introduce dynamic content (for server-side and client-side validations, custom processing, database handling, third-party component handling) with ASP (Active Server Pages)-based systems.

Microsoft thought of a better way with the introduction of .NET-based languages and the .NET framework. Here, Microsoft tried to generalize between the commonality between their various software products like coding languages (VB, .NET, C#, etc.),MS Windows, Microsoft Office, MS SQL Server databases and other products. These common components were introduced as the .NET Framework. The framework had a common language run-time, memory management (Garbage Collector), error handling (EXCEPTIONS), database handling block using ADO.NET and so on....

With Microsoft .NET, the dynamic web content handling became easier and the Microsoft world of web became more programmable with use of reusable and redistributable web components and systems (building blocks). The .NET framework was the core part of all Microsoft products. Data became more accessible. Forms and user interfaces became more friendlier. There is Microsoft Practices and Patterns guidance to the computer world, in designing, development, implementing, unit testing, archiving, etc.; the entire Software Development Life Cycle of the IT universe.

How has it helped my organization?

With Microsoft technology ,IT was as simple as the game of building blocks.

What needs improvement?

Due diligence is always given in IT technology by all IT vendors and their technicians. It is a complete rotating earth in its universe. What improvements you can suggest for the Great Wall of China or the TajMahal? The IT universe is agile.

Computer systems became a network of computers (intranet-internet) and now are social request-response driven. Web systems were request-response and now web services, WCF, Web API and SOA are making it more data driven, like fifth-generation computer systems. Soon, these computer systems will adapt to artificial intelligence technology and natural language interface; machine learning, big data will be common place. The future could be more nature driven.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework to develop and implement application software for around 15 years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent.

Technical support is excellent.

The ROI is excellent.

Microsoft technology is becoming freeware and cross-platform, embracing all changes and suggestions from the rest of the IT world.

Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Magic Software, Apache, and more!
Updated: November 2022