IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Microsoft Azure App Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Azure App Service is #4 ranked solution in top Mobile Development Platforms and #11 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Azure App Service an average rating of 8.8 out of 10. Microsoft Azure App Service is most commonly compared to Microsoft PowerApps: Microsoft Azure App Service vs Microsoft PowerApps. Microsoft Azure App Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Microsoft Azure App Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Azure App Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Microsoft Azure App Service?

Microsoft Azure App Service is an HTTP-based mobile application development platform and solution. It is designed to enable organizations to completely control their application development and hosting processes.

Microsoft Azure App Service Benefits

Some of the benefits that come from using Microsoft Azure App Service include:

• A high level of security. Microsoft Azure App Service comes with enterprise-level and industry-standard SLAs through the use of PCI security standards. Users can go about developing their applications without having to worry about exposure to security risks. Microsoft Azure App Service keeps the application development process secure so that all that users have to worry about is creating their application.
  • Collaborate and develop applications from anywhere. Teams that are spread out across the globe can collaborate and build applications from anywhere that they happen to be. Microsoft’s global data center is a cloud hub that developers can take advantage of to connect their teams if they are located in disparate locations. It can handle all of a developer's application hosting needs.
  • Multi-format and multi-lingual support. Microsoft Azure App Service supports both physical machine and virtual machine formats. In addition, it also supports a variety of different programming languages.
  • Utilize pre-fabricated templates. Microsoft Azure App Service gives developers access to an extensive list of templates. These can both ease the process of planning the development of applications by providing developers with ideas and make it easier for the developers to build them.

Microsoft Azure App Service Features

Some of the many useful features Microsoft Azure App Service has to offer include:

When users choose to employ the Microsoft Azure App Service solution, they gain access to many different capabilities. These features include:

• Manual or automatic auto-scaling capabilities. Microsoft Azure App Service enables developers to control how their applications auto-scale. Developers can employ the auto-scaling feature by hand or set it so that it automatically rescales according to their needs.
  • IDE integrations. Microsoft Azure App Service can easily integrate with various IDE software solutions. This gives developers access to many analytic, debugging, and monitoring options.
  • Deployment slots. These are virtual spaces where developers can test and deploy new versions of their applications while working on them. This feature allows developers to resolve any issues before the new version of the application is put into production.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft Azure App Service’s versatility offers organizations that use it a great deal. It is a very complete, ready-to-use, out-of-the-box mobile development solution that gives users the capabilities that they need to design their mobile applications with the greatest level of ease. In addition, users can employ the cloud to scale operations so that their applications have the proper amount of space to run at the time that they need it.

Andriy L., the Azure practice leader at a computer software company, writes, “I like that it's a ready-to-use, out-of-the-box solution that provides all of the necessary functions for customers, such as codes that can be quickly switched from the production version, or test and DEV versions to production.”

Yasir M., a solution architect at Komatsu, writes, "The best feature is scalability, which allows you to target potential clients worldwide by connecting the application to a local server. This makes the application readily accessible, and the response time will be much better."

Microsoft Azure App Service was previously known as Azure App Service, MS Azure App Service.

Microsoft Azure App Service Customers

Real Madrid, Absolut, AccuWeather, Heineken, NBC News, Paramount

Microsoft Azure App Service Video

Microsoft Azure App Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Azure App Service pricing:
  • "Where there are different customer sizes, some customers consume $5,000 US dollars per month. I have some customers who pay and consume more than $20,000 US dollars per month, for example. It is determined by customer sizes and requirements, which vary from month to month."
  • "Less than USD $100 per month."
  • "We have no complaints about the pricing."
  • "Azure App Service is expensive compared to its competitors, especially its cloud-only version."
  • "On a scale of one to five, with one being expensive and five being competitive, I would rate this solution as a four."
  • Microsoft Azure App Service Reviews

Andriy Lyubimov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Azure Practice Leader at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Good backup and restore, with vertical, horizontal, and DEV scaling options
    • "I like that it's a ready-to-use, out-of-the-box solution that provides all of the necessary functions for customers, such as codes that can be quickly switched from the production version, or from test and DEV versions to production."
    • "It would be fantastic if Microsoft morphed after my exit service, removing it from subscriptions and moving it to different regions, especially for that service."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use Microsoft Azure App Service for websites, such as content management systems, WordPress, and others, which are built on Azure Web Repair and App Services.

What is most valuable?

Quote backup and restore vertical and horizontal scaling, and DEV scaling are all available. In this case, developers do not need to learn and spend their time on the configuration for the platform, just coding and asking to compute, which they need and that configuration, which platform provides them.

What needs improvement?

Price could be reduced.

Particularly with Azure Web Apps. According to their current architecture, moving services from one Azure subscription to another is difficult.

Customers can consume the Azure platform through a variety of subscriptions from various partners, financial visions, current political visions, and so on. Some services on the Microsoft Azure platform can be moved automatically from one subscription to another based on security and financial rules, while others cannot.

Azure Web Apps are the type of service that does not automatically move from subscription to subscription, and region to region. A lot of manual labor must be performed by their organization, customer, and engineers, if necessary.

They must pay too much attention to how to plan this, how to switch off, switch on, on which days, at what times, and so on. A lot of administrative work is done, but it's not very good.

I have used Microsoft Azure App Service for the last 12 months.

Because it is cloud-based, there is only one version.

Microsoft Azure App Service
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure App Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Microsoft Azure App Service is stable. It's good enough. it's present here, but anyone can take it if it's needed. Especially now, Microsoft offers a very special support program in Ukraine. For example, if a customer needs to support their business processes, they can use any Azure solution for free until the end of the calendar year.

Microsoft Azure App Service is a scalable solution.

We are a technical support team, and we handle all of our support needs. We have not contacted technical support.

I am Microsoft-certified trained. This is why I don't require any additional support assistance; I train others. In other words, every Microsoft commercial partner receives direct Microsoft support. For example, Amazon provides additional information from the traditional partner channel, or by extra support, through premier support contracts. All of them must be present on a commercial basis in order to provide truly high-quality services to customers.

I am a technical architect and I have some commercial partners. I work as a system integrator. It is a software, global company that specializes in delivering cloud software, solutions, and services. As for this, I have over 25 years of experience with all stacks, including Azure, AWS, Google GCP, Oracle Cloud, and others. I was very interested in the Zimbra and Microsoft Exchange compilation because, in my opinion, based on my experience and statistics, Zimbra is not widely used in our accounting and based installation. However, one commercial customer inquired about my thoughts on Zimbra in conjunction with Exchange. It was very unfamiliar to me, which is why I attempted to conduct independent research on Zimbra solutions. Who and how are relevant to that question. I don't think we'll implement Zimbra because it's outside of our stack, but it was very interesting to get some perspective on the questions, nothing special, just vision and experience and growth.

We use what our customers requested from the Microsoft stacks, which are mostly infrastructure as a service solutions. It is a very limited number of PaaS installations or implementations, such as Aurora or Microsoft SQL, Azure SQL as a service, web applications on Azure, and so on. Of course, SaaS, such as Office 365, is a good option, but I can't say what other options aren't because the Microsoft stack is our primary commercial platform for our sources. It's fantastic; it provides us with some commercial advantages.

We recently used Azure, virtual machines, virtual networks, and virtual storage, as well as Azure IaaS Stack, Azure Virtual Machines, and Azure Storage.

Because Azure Web Services is based on the Azure IaaS Stack, it is infrastructure as a service. It's a platform as a service that's based on IaaS for some purposes, but our customers don't need the services to bring ready-to-use apps because they don't have a lot of education and institutes. Overall, Qualys solutions are not widely used in Ukraine, for example, by schools, governments, and institutes, due to commercial issues and, in particular, our notice time.

We chose Microsoft Azure App Service because the customer inquired. We are a very commercial company, and if the market or the customer did not request it, we did not provide it. If the customer requests it, we will provide it.

I don't recall any problems with the initial setup at the time because I believe it was adequate. I didn't hear anything about widespread or public knowledge of some issues in that area.

Most importantly, not too much. The customer has a high level of financial maturity to value DPI; they do not discuss ROI or other metrics. They simply book on current, can say spending, if current model spending is adequate.

Price could always be cheaper.

It is not about the license fees, but rather about the pay-as-you-go services.

Customers consume varying amounts of quality services and pay roughly the same amount. Where there are different customer sizes, some customers consume $5,000 US dollars per month. I have some customers who pay and consume more than $20,000 US dollars per month, for example. It is determined by customer sizes and requirements, which vary from month to month.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise paying closer attention to the architecture of the solutions. If the architecture is well designed, this will be a very good placement on cloud solutions; otherwise, it will be placed incorrectly. It's a common situation, and owing too much money as it should be.

I would rate Microsoft Azure App Service a nine out of ten.

We are a Microsoft partner.

Brian Sullivan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Analytics Officer at Idiro Analytics
    Still familiarizing ourselves, but the data factory tool has proved to be most beneficial
    • "Azure data factory is a good tool."
    • "Lacking somewhat in template data flows."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the solution is for ETL. We're slowly moving everything over to Azure, so I think this will be our expected hub for the near future. I'm the chief analytics officer and we are a Microsoft partner.

What is most valuable?

The Azure data factory is the tool we're using the most. And again, we're using it for moving data around and data management. For now, we're pretty happy with the product although we're probably using it in a slightly more limited way. All the tasks we've done would have some reasonable degree of complexity and we've been able to achieve those tasks, or complete those processes. We're still getting familiar with it.

What needs improvement?

There has been some building of pipelines where we've had to test and redesign a little so if there were maybe some easier to setup guides or more template data flows that would be an improvement. It would simplify the center processes. It would probably be impossible to have a template for everyone, but maybe there's some way to kind of simplify the initial stack and point frame for new users like ourselves, to make getting off the ground a little bit easier.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The solution is stable. We don't have very large data volumes and we haven't yet migrated high data processing power onto the cloud.

We haven't been attempting to push the boundaries in scalability. It's probably something we will gradually get to, maybe over the next six to 12 months where we will be migrating some additional processes and workload onto the cloud that we may start to see if scalability becomes an issue.

We haven't yet needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup was reasonably straightforward. We've kind of been taking slow steps and migrating requirements as we gradually move certain tasks or certain processes into the cloud. We've done all the deployment ourselves.

I think at the moment we're spending less than USD $100 a month. Because we're a Microsoft partner, we get a certain amount of credit on our partner account, but I don't think we've spent more than about $100, maybe $200 in a single month.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I would suggest giving yourself time to learn and adapt to the product. A lot of people would probably come to it having some historic or some existing software product in place and they're maybe migrating onto it. And so it will likely involve changing or redesigning how some existing process works. It's a good time to kind of learn some of the intricacies or the way Azure operates that might be slightly different to what they do on-premise. Ultimately it seems like it can do anything that you might be doing with a different tool or in a different location. It's just a matter of figuring out the configurations and the process.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure App Service
    July 2022
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Stable with an easy initial setup and good infrastructure
    • "It's a platform as a service, so we don't have to manage the infrastructure to hold the websites."
    • "The solution needs better integration capabilities on the network side."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create a website. Azure will provide infrastructure without any servers and can provide service to host the websites of the company.

What is most valuable?

The reason that we are using the product is for the stability that they have.

It's a platform as a service, so we don't have to manage the infrastructure to hold the websites. We use it more for the confidence that it's going to be up and running and is easier for us to maintain.

What needs improvement?

The network side needs improvement. It has to be more stable. Sometimes we have issues with the network side when we expand the solution. You need to find stability in order to expand the solution properly. When we do that, or we add another app service through the app service plan, we have issues with the network, and we lose communication between our data center and the app service.

The solution needs better integration capabilities on the network side. There should be more options, for example, to update the DNS server, straight to the app service.

I've been using the solution for six months. It's been less than a year, so it hasn't been too long.

The stability isn't as good as we need it to be on the network side. When we try to expand, we run into problems with the network. However, in general, we find the solution fairly stable.

The scalability is affected by the stability of the solution which isn't perfect. You definitely need multiple resources in order to scale effectively.

We have about 500 users on the website at this point. It's new, so people are just getting there.

Technical support is pretty good. Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten.

We have their premier support. I've found that the response is getting slower on some cases. They could be faster, however, that's something that's always on the support team. Everyone always wants faster answers.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. The best part is how quickly you can deploy the solution. It's just two or three clicks and you are up and running.

Overall, the deployment is good as, apart from this viable network, we have actually a 90.999% of it up and running.

Azure is a pay-as-you-go type of service. It's my understanding that the pricing is okay, however, it's not an issue I deal with directly.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I'd advise other users just to be sure that they have all of the components on the Azure side in order to do the hybrid configuration. From my experience, that will give you better performance if you have everything on there. That, and it will be totally clear and you won't mix anything up with some private stuff.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Technical Architect at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Feature-rich, fantastic technical support, and debugging is easier with Application Insights
    • "Debugging using Application Insights is a valuable feature."
    • "Initially, there were some rare instances when the server went down because it was deployed on Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We have our application on Azure and it does a REST call through the App Service, which in turn connects to our on-premises database.

We are using Tomcat and Java in conjunction with this service.

This product is user-friendly and the customization is good.

How has it helped my organization?

We wanted an application that we can use on the cloud to expose services outside of our premises. Azure provides a good platform and the integration is very strong, as well as scalable. You don't have to worry about procuring a server or maintaining it. You simply write the code, deploy it, and Azure takes care of the scaling and everything else.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features, such as scaling up and scaling down.

Debugging using Application Insights is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Initially, there were some rare instances when the server went down because it was deployed on Linux. There are some features that are not available on the Linux-based deployment, yet are available on Windows. This is something that I think Microsoft has now caught up.

I have been using the Azure App Service for the past year.

We haven't had any issues with respect to stability.

It scales very well and in the case of our environment, it is good. We have approximately 20,000 people who are using the application.

The technical support is fantastic. We have calls with Microsoft every couple of weeks and they have been very helpful in giving us insights.

We were using Oracle prior to Azure, but that was on-premises. When we made the transition to the cloud, the company opted for Azure.

The initial setup is simple.

We have no complaints about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Everything looks good and we are happy with this product. It seems to have everything that we need and I haven't seen any limitations. My advice to anybody who is looking at it is that it's a good platform to start building your integrations.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Lluis De Miquel - PeerSpot reviewer
    Expert Architect / Development Leader at Viewnext
    Easy to deploy, great for testing, and offers a free version
    • "The solution overall is very good."
    • "There are no issues with the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We’ve used the solution for deploying several applications. We use it for testing purposes. It’s used for testing web apps and developing some proof of concepts.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to deploy web apps through Common Line or Visual Studio Editor, which is useful as I can deploy container solutions.

It is scalable.

The solution overall is very good.

The implementation process is easy. It’s also fast.

It’s stable.

What needs improvement?

There are no issues with the solution. I’m happy with the product.

We’ve been using the solution for three years.

It's a stable solution if you select the standard sizing. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well.

Technical support is rapid and extremely helpful. Whenever I have questions, they provide feedback very fast.

The product is straightforward to set up and quick to deploy.

I’m using the free version of the solution. I do not pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I’m using the latest version of the solution. I’m an end-user of the product.

I’d recommend this solution. You can start to use App Service immediately. You only need to have a subscription. If you would like to test App Service, then you only need to deploy in a free sizing version, and you can get going.

I’d rate the solution ten out of ten.

Cloud solution architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    A scalable solution with user-friendly Power Apps
    • "The Logic Apps and Azure functions are very robust."
    • "The setup is complex if you have no experience."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything I do. We use it on e-commerce platforms and for business activities. Currently, we're using the latest version of the App. However, we used the e-commerce version between 2019 and 2020.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Power Apps because it is very user-friendly. In comparison, the Logic Apps and Azure functions are very robust.

What needs improvement?

I can't pinpoint a specific feature that can be included in the next release because Microsoft is making new changes to the app every day. Currently, everything works perfectly.

We have been using this solution for five years. I am a Cloud Solution Architect with TCS, primarily on the Azure front. I research different types of Power Apps. I focus on POCs and deal with architecture data.

This solution is stable as we haven't faced problems working with it yet.

This solution is scalable.

I can't comment on my experience with the customer service and support team because we connect directly with Microsoft whenever we have any issues.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is easy to set up if you have experience and knowledge working with it, but the setup is complex if you have no experience.

Regarding pricing, I can't comment on pricing because I don't deal with issues related to pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. My advice would be to gain experience, get an MSN license and practice before working in production environments.

YasirMehmood - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Architect at Komatsu
    Highly scalable solution that makes targeting global clients easy
    • "The best feature is scalability, which allows you to target potential clients worldwide by connecting the application to a local server. This makes the application readily accessible, and the response time will be much better."
    • "If you're on the cloud, you just get a web interface without much detail for additional configuration or the authority to configure the root or system-level configuration."

What is our primary use case?

I use Azure App Service as an application deployment environment. It allows me to access the FTB directly in deployed applications and change certain rules and regulations like filtering of access management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

If you're on the cloud, you just get a web interface without much detail for additional configuration or the authority to configure the root or system-level configuration. This is a weakness in the cloud version compared to desktop. In the next release, Microsoft should provide additional options for configuring the deployment environment.

I've been using this solution for three to four years.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability is one of this solution's strongest points.

Microsoft's technical support meets expectations - sometimes there's a bug on their side, and we have some downtime, but it's usually minimal. However, there are some issues with technical staff passing cases on instead of dealing with them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Azure App Service is expensive compared to its competitors, especially its cloud-only version. I would rate their pricing as two out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure App Services as eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Enterprise Architect at Prinzhorn IT
    A scalable, highly stable solution with easy deployment and competitive pricing

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for small rep services. We are using it currently for three or four small use cases and it is a perfect fit for all of them, which is why we chose it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the easy deployment, the scalability, and the Azure maintenance.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement price-wise.

We have been using this solution for about three or four years.

I have found this solution to be highly stable.

The scalability of the solution is awesome.

The deployment of this solution is easy.

On a scale of one to five, I would rate the ROI of this solution as a three.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Azure App Service Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022