IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Ethernet Switches is #7 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Juniper Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Juniper Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 33% of all views.
What is Juniper Ethernet Switches?

Juniper Ethernet Switches are made up of the EX Series product line. These EX Series Ethernet Switches provide branch, campus and data center networks with access, aggregation and core layer switching solutions. The end result is secure, fast and efficient application and data delivery.

Today's enterprise networks increasingly demand mobile access, optimal availability, virtualization, and unified communications. The Juniper Ethernet Switches EX Series caters for all of these requirements, ensuring business continuity, network flexibility and maximum productivity.

Juniper Ethernet Switches was previously known as Juniper EX Series.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Juniper Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Juniper Ethernet Switches Customers

BlackLotus, Staminus, Community Bank, BAS Group, Cloud Dynamics, Privalia, Fluidata, and Tesla Motors.

Juniper Ethernet Switches Video

Archived Juniper Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

Specialist in Network Security at RayanCo
Flexible admin features and has good firewall filters
  • "This is a lower cost product with better features than the competition."
  • "The operating system, Junos OS, often has bugs which forces rollbacks or additional upgrades to resolve."

What is our primary use case?

We use the layer three switches. We use it for routing, separating the VLANs, and for inter-VLAN routing. Also, we use the product's firewall filters.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us another, better option for clients in switching technology.

What is most valuable?

In general, and when I am talking about the Juniper SRX switches that have the Junos operating systems, I find that the admin features are very flexible. For example, the rollbacks or commit confirmed work very well. Fifty configurations can be saved and restored easily. These things are very good for us because it helps us to troubleshoot or to maintain the system. When we have remote access to a device, we can be sure that a process does not get disconnected.

When you want to change a lot of parameters in a configuration, you make your changes and then you can initiate a commit and all the changes will be saved and will be enforced when the device is activated. These features are available in the Juniper switches with the Junos OS. They are very wonderful and powerful capabilities that are unique to the Juniper switching solution. For example, Cisco or FortiGate do not have similar features or they are not very good with these capabilities.

What needs improvement?

To make the product better, I think that the company needs to do more testing before releasing versions of the operating system. In many versions, there are bugs in the Junos OS. For example, with some versions of the Junos OS, a specific function or some functions do not work correctly and you have to then change to another version to get the functionality back or make the product stable. Some versions of the Junos OS can create problems in integrations with Citrix and of course in other platforms because the OS has some bugs that cause instability. When you are using or when you find a stable OS, everything works okay. But I have had many experiences with some versions of Junos OS that have bugs and I am forced to migrate to another version of the OS either as an upgrade or even a downgrade. It will work in the end, but it should not be necessary to discover if an OS version is good or not.

Something that I might like to see added to Juniper switches is the opportunity to use some NAT (Network Address Translation) features with it. I am not sure if it is possible or not. But having some NAT features would be nice and offer some other kinds of flexibility.

We have been using Juniper Ethernet Switches for a little less than two years.

I think for the most part it is a really a very stable product. When I use a stable Junos OS the stability is okay. Some of the OS versions are not so good because they have some bugs, and this can cause some issues with stability. But these are only temporary issues that are resolved by choosing which OS version to use and which to avoid. We have some devices on Juniper that have been running for more than one or even two years without any downtime. We have not had stability issues and we have not had to restart. It really demonstrates stability when you have examples where we have uptime of more than two years without any problems.

I think Juniper is scalable in some ways. Really as far as this capability, I would say it is good, but that scalability is in the middle in the category of switches.

The number of users who are using this solution is harder to estimate for our clients than it is within our own company. If we are talking about Juniper Ethernet, one client project that we have has between 200 or 250 people. Nearly 40% of the users are going to be systems engineers.

There are a variety of user and organizational types. Some of the users are office workers and some of them are engineers. Some of them work in financial jobs and some of them are more on the business end. There are a variety of people using the products.

I have not personally really had a reason to contact Juniper's technical support directly. There has been no need because most of the time — it is really 95% of the time — I can say our problems are easily solved by the knowledgebases or forums or by just changing the Junos OS.

In our company, someone had to contact support because we had some problems with some of the licenses. In that case, we did get support to help us to fix the problem. It was not really a problem with the product, it was about the license only. I do not know about the technical support services directly but I do know the issue was resolved.

In our location, there are not so many companies using Juniper Switches. The use of this brand is somewhat limited here because Juniper is not so popular and is unfortunately not as well-known as other product brands. Cisco switches are much more popular and I have used Cisco switches a lot — more than any other brand — for our clients. I also have experience with Tricom Switches and also with Extreme Networks switches and some experience with Fortinet solutions. We could use any of these depending on the client and the situation. As far as switching from one product to another, that is not exactly what we do. Because we are a reseller we have to have various solutions available, so we keep them all as opportunities for our clients as long as we have tested them and they are good solutions.

When it came to Juniper, while we had other options, we were really interested in checking out the product and examining how the Juniper switches worked in comparison to the other more popular brands. Because our tests and experience with the product confirmed that it was a good option, we have tried to convince our customers to buy the Juniper solution because it is a good solution and works well even if it was not so popular. We somehow have convinced a few clients to agree to buy the Juniper Switches to this point. But even though we are promoting Juniper, most of the time our clients are gravitating to what they are familiar with and that means purchasing Cisco because they think that the Cisco solution is better just because of the name.

Another reason that the clients would think the Cisco products were better for them is not only because they do not know the Juniper brand name. One of the other main reasons is that a technical people who have experience in working with Juniper devices are much more scarce than technical people who know how to configure Cisco switches. The product and the name might not be the problem but finding technicians who could work with the solution is the problem instead.

The initial setup is not complex. It is usually easy. It depends. If you understand the concepts of working with the product — if you already have some experience with it — it is easy to work with it. But if you do not have the experience and do not get the concept, it might seem to be unfriendly. If you can work with it a little and get the concept of how it works and how you should configure it, then it becomes a really friendly format.

I think it took about one week to configure and deploy the switches. Of course, sometimes we were not working just on that for a whole day, so the number of hours working just on that deployment is something I can not say exactly. But in about one week the deployment was complete. It could have been done faster if it were the only thing that we were concentrating on.

Most of the time, I do the deployments by myself. But when I have some problems, we have a team that can help out. I might ask them, or I might use the knowledgebases on the internet or search on Google to find solutions. Most of the time there are good, long articles on Juniper's site or in one of the forums that can help me to resolve any issues. There is a lot of knowledge that is readily available. Juniper takes care to publish many good articles. 95% of the time, it is not really hard to solve a problem. If I just go and do a little searching, I can find the information I need to resolve any problem.

The exact licensing is not something I know about, but I do know that Juniper is a less expensive solution when compared to the competition.

Because of some limitations as in regulations or client business requirements, we can not always work with cloud solutions or solutions that run on VMs. There are some solutions I might like to consider, but for the most part, our market will not accept certain solutions. Often we have to work with on-premises hardware and that makes a difference in availability.

We are continuing to evaluate other solutions in order to be able to meet our clients' needs. The regulations and perception of products may change over time. We use Juniper in our company because we think it is the better solution and we do not have restrictions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering using Juniper switches is to try them out because the Juniper brand is very good. I myself really like the Juniper devices because, in comparison to other products in this category, they are a very good value and are worth much more than the cost. These switches are much more stable and you have better performance than the other guys, so long as you are aware of the potential issues with the OS. I think I can say this in one sentence: you can have better performance at a lower price if you choose Juniper.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Juniper Ethernet switches — besides the fact that the most popular name is not always the best product or the best solution — is that using the commit confirmed feature instead of just committing is very valuable. It can help you to be sure your commit is successful. If it is not for whatever reason, the product deals with the issue. After a certain amount of time, the product can roll back automatically if something did not commit successfully. Not all products have anything like this feature.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Juniper Ethernet Switches as a nine overall. It is a nine and not a ten because there should always be room for product improvement.

Private Cloud
HRaghavan - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - IT at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's easy for us to go back to previous working configurations to fix problems
  • "It has features that allow us to go back to previous configurations."
  • "The initial setup of switches is not that simple."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a manager and we're a user and customer of Juniper. The primary use case is for our network connectivity, for our wireless access. We use it as a POP port and through the radio-network connectivity, it's used for all purposes, like wireless data and e-mails, whatever it is. We use it for video conferencing, basic network switching, really for all purposes. We have about 100 staff using the solution and at any one time, there are around 700 to 800 network divisors connected to the network.

What is most valuable?

We like Juniper switches because it has some features that allow us to go back to previous configurations. For example, if we change the configuration and there are problems, it's very easy for us to go back to previous working configurations. The company's technical support is also a valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any issues with the product and as long as they continue giving good service it's fine for us. The price is competitive, and we use our online interface only and don't go through a GUI.

We don't have any pain points.

I've been using the solution for six years.

It's a very stable product.

It's scalable.

I'm very satisfied with the technical support.

We previously used Norton but switched a while ago.

The initial setup of switches is not that simple, but my team is made up of technical people so we understood it very fast.

We implemented it with an in-house team. We have a very big network, there were roughly around 80, 85 switches and firewall and core switches. In total, implementation took somewhere between six to eight weeks.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is regarding switches. If someone is deploying switches in a critical environment, they should go for Juniper switches.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Juniper Ethernet Switches
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Juniper Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
596,362 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vishnu Suresh - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at RC Network Solutions Pvt Ltd
Good operational efficiency, easy to configure, and a good user interface
  • "The GUI interface distinguishes it from other vendors and makes it easy to operate."
  • "In the next release of this solution, I would like to see better integration with software-defined networking."

What is our primary use case?

We provide network solutions to our clients and Juniper Ethernet Switches are one of the devices that we install and configure for them. We are certified by Juniper to work with these switches.

This solution makes up part of the physical network.

We had one big project where we had to deploy Juniper switches with a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The GUI interface distinguishes it from other vendors and makes it easy to operate.

Juniper switches are quick and easy to configure. Depending on the requirements, you only have to configure two or three parameters.

The operational efficiency of these devices is good.

This solution has a lot of features that allow it to be configured in different ways that are suitable in any type of network.

The physical unit is compact.

What needs improvement?

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see better integration with software-defined networking.

The coding can be simplified a little bit.

We have been working with Juniper Ethernet Switches for about a year and a half.

In terms of stability, we have not had any trouble. One of the solutions that we deployed about a year and a half ago is intact and still working perfectly.

We have had no issues with scalability.

I have never contacted technical support directly because I haven't had any serious issues. When I need support, I look at the community forums on the website. There is a chat function on the website, which is very helpful.

We use and supply products by many different vendors because we are project-oriented, and not tied to any one particular vendor. Some of the other vendors are Cisco and Huawei.

The licensing costs for Cisco are higher.

Configuring this solution requires that you understand the core concept of programming. Everything that you need to do has to be programmed. For example, in the C programing language, you define a class. So here, once you understand the protocol logic, it is very easy to configure.

If you know what to do then the deployment is quick. It may take a couple of days.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I cannot find anything that is bad about this product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Data Center Architecture and Planning at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and extremely good scalability but doesn't offer very good integrations
  • "The scalability is excellent. It's one of the aspects of the solution that is quite good."
  • "We are undergoing a migration to software-defined networking. Different vendors have to integrate with each other and we are not seeing this type of capability within Juniper. We are getting left behind in this technology trend by staying with this solution. Juniper is also losing a bit of market share because of this."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our data center.

What is most valuable?

The switches are pretty typical. They offer good control and good switching.

What needs improvement?

We're currently in the process of switching to Cisco as we haven't been too happy with Juniper.

I've been using the solution for between five and ten years.

The stability is good.

Technical support is not so good. Sometimes we contact them, but they don't offer the best service.

The initial setup is straightforward. I joined the company after deployment, so I'm not sure how long it takes.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution no more than seven out of ten.

Senior Network Engineer at Advanced Technologies
MSP
Easy to use and has a feature to rollback to the previous configuration
  • "Juniper is the best when it comes to the core layer."
  • "The stability of this solution should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our network in an on-premises deployment. We also provide this solution to some of our customers.

We have twenty-one switches that control our data center, MPLS, and access points.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use.

There is a rollback feature available after you commit the configuration.

Juniper is the best when it comes to the core layer.

I have been using this solution for four years.

If you are using Juniper as a router then the stability is better.

In the technical team, we have six users. In terms of end-users, we have more than sixty.

We have large, medium, and small customers who use this solution.

I have created only one ticket for technical support. The support was quick.

We also use HP switches.

I have used Cisco switches, but they do not have a rollback feature after you commit the configuration.

The initial setup of this solution is easy, although it takes a long time.

This solution is cheaper than Cisco or HP switches.

What other advice do I have?

The stability of this solution should be improved. We have a customer that is using Cisco switches, and they don't need to reconfigure it as often. It is less complicated to update or reconfigure, and we have had problems with needing to do so more than once.

Darrin Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Compliance, Security & Testing Manager at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to manage and provides a reliable core for our public-facing infrastructure
  • "The ease of management through the command line interface is very good."
  • "It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using multiple EX4200 Virtual Chassis Stacks in an on-premises deployment.

The way we have it configured is that it is our core switch model that holds up our entire infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reliability.

The ease of management through the command line interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice to have a more available list of modules that you can get for this solution. One of the hardest things that I've found when I go looking for modules on those switches is actually finding a thorough list of them.

We have been using this solution for between five and six years.

The stability of this solution is rock solid. The only time we've had an issue is when one of the redundant power supplies shorted out. I don't think that this was the fault of the solution. Rather, I think it was due to a failed power line, perhaps a spike in power.

This solution is extremely scalable. We had to add a new line module and we were able to do it while it was hot, so we didn't have any downtime.

This solution makes up the core of our network, so everybody in the company relies on it. We're predominately web-facing, so it supports our public-facing infrastructure. It is difficult to estimate the number of users that it supports.

We have been in touch with Professional Services. They are excellent, and they're always on time.

The responses are timely and they're very knowledgeable. If they're unsure then they will quickly consult other team members. The engineers that are dealing with it won't just sit there and try to figure it out themselves. They'll engage other members in their environment as quickly as they can. They get the issue resolved, so it's great.

We were using a solution from Cisco previously, but we were having issues with those, which is one of the reasons that we switched to Juniper. From what I can remember, the Cisco solution was not able to get the throughput that we required. Also, we required the ability to do hot swap-overs of the devices.

One of the main things with Cisco is that any of the changes that you made were instant, whereas, with Juniper, we can actually stage the changes before we apply them. Also, for the Cisco product, it was a really, really expensive product range.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The deployment took one day at each of two different sites.

I was on-site for the deployments, but we had a consultant come in and do it for us.

The maintenance cost is approximately €2,000 ($2,200 USD) per year, including support, for our entire fleet.

We evaluated other options including some by Cisco and HP.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking at this solution from an ethernet switching point of view, we don't use any of the in-depth features. We selected this solution for its reliability and ease of management on the command line.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to plan it out in advance. Other than that, they're relatively straightforward. There are no major issues or items that I could call out as a problem. It's just a case of making sure that you plan our your deployment before you start.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

CornelCristea - PeerSpot reviewer
Network and Service Development Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Works well for aggregating traffic and has a standard CLI between devices
  • "The most valuable feature is that the CLI is the same on all of the Juniper devices, including routers, switches, and firewalls."
  • "The protocols can be tunneled, but on a global basis, not on an interface, and this is a feature that should be added."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for traffic aggregation. We connect multiple services to virtual infrastructure, connecting customers and aggregating traffic to the core.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see all of the features unified between platforms, families, and models. This would make it easier to upgrade later, without having to change the configuration.

We have been using this solution for three years.

We have not had any problems with these switches. They were stable when we put them into production and they are running things at the moment. We are doing a few things like aggregating the global balance between multiple lines, and we have had no issues so far.

We have a lot of traffic.

It is pretty scalable using virtual traffic. We are not using that feature, but I know that it can scale. There are different models that scale in different ranges.

We have a handful of administrators that work on these units, in addition to our customer base.

We have been in touch with Juniper technicians as well as with Juniper partners.

They are good. They know the product and they know what to propose. We didn't want too much in terms of advanced data center features, so we did not have any problems.

We have two other types of switches that we run in our data center. There are Cisco switches to handle a lower capacity, and we also have Extreme switches.

We purchased Extreme switches because we were given a good price at the time. However, it is a little bit harder to work with Extreme.

With our experience from the past, we found the initial setup to be straightforward.

We connected the console, started the IT manager, then configured the VLANs and the ports.

If you want an advanced configuration then it can be more complex because it can run in different modes.

There are different licenses available for these switches that are based on the features.

We purchased the box for a one-time charge, and we are paying a yearly support fee of several hundred Euros.

What other advice do I have?

There are many different types of switches in different categories. It is best to look, right from the beginning, at what features are needed. You do not want to pay for Enterprise licenses if you don't need those features.

Be sure to look at the right family in order to protect your investment in the future. For example, if you want to go from 1G to 10G to 25G, then they will need to buy a new product. Going from 10G to 25G can be done on the same machine if it is from the right family. The planning makes it easier to upgrade bandwidth in the future, protecting your investment.

This is a good product, but it is not extraordinary. It does the job.

Service Manager at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to Setup Secured Networks, but local technical support is lacking
  • "What I like most about this solution is that it is secure."
  • "It was very difficult to get technical support, here in Egypt. There is no local support available."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the internal network, covering our entire office.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

They need to have more marketing in Egypt.

The technical support in Egypt needs to be improved because I was struggling to get technical support.

Having documentation provided in Arabic would be nice, but not necessary, as most everyone speaks and understands English well enough.

I would like to have customer support on the ground.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We have approximately twenty users, most of them are engineers.

It was very difficult to get technical support, here in Egypt.

There is no local support available.

Previously we used Cisco. From my understanding and from what I was told, it was complex, hard to handle, not customer familiar or customer friendly.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's easier than Cisco.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor, we had one of the team members do it. It wasn't that difficult.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

External Plant Coordinator with 201-500 employees
User
Supports all our connectivity infrastructure in our datacenter

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is as a datacenter, as aggregation and access switches. They are also used in wireless nodes in the core switch segment receiving all last mile services, as in optical fiber.

How has it helped my organization?

Juniper supports all our connectivity infrastructure in our datacenter, supporting optimal availability and performance for services.

What is most valuable?

The Virtual Chassis, because you have a centralized administration of a set of switches which makes the operation more efficient.

What needs improvement?

Support prices and licensing scheme need to be improved to allow some features to be purchased at lower costs, for example, RPM.

Three to five years.

We previously used Cisco.

We evaluated Brocade.

User at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'd like to see it's cost go down but it has optimal TCO

Valuable Features

Optimal TCO

Improvements to My Organization

It's not about improvement, it is more about optimal decision making.

Room for Improvement

Stability issues and its cost.

Use of Solution

Juniper EX series About 2-3 years

I haven't seen any issues with deployment.

Seldom

Standard questions about more clients ports on devices.

Customer Service: Good, but not the best.Technical Support: Good.

We had some questions, but that's it.

Implementation Team

We did some prep with the vendor team which was very helpful.

Other Solutions Considered

Cisco solutions and some others.
it_user90057 - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Pros and cons of both Cisco and Juniper configs, but you can see the benefit of why they organized it the way they did

After being primarily a Cisco user for many years, I find the switch to Juniper refreshing. The CLI is intuitive and I appreciate the hierarchy of the various configuration groups to be much more organized. I also think it is better with regard to config checking, and ensuring that the items entered into the config work with the rest of the config. For example if you happen to forget a line in a policy, or make an error in referencing a particular object, it will not let you commit the config. I know there are pros and cons of both configs, but once you get used to Juniper, you can see the benefit of why they organized it the way they did.

it_user82779 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Benefits of Juniper vs Cisco

Both are decent products. I prefer Juniper for the following reasons:

1) Cleaner separation of data plane from control plane. Higher end Cisco devices are better at this but most of the lower end products still seem to be more integrated than I like.

2) The Hierarchical config design means I can make changes only in areas that concern me without necessarily impacting other areas.

3) Easier rollback when one makes mistakes

4) I think there are less bugs/vulnerabilities in Junos vs IOS.

5) iOS has too many flavors leads to confusion with deployment.

One more advantage of junos over iOS. Juniper adheres closer to the standards than Cisco. Epigraph is nice, auto rp is cool, but with the less protocols in the standards it's much earlier to configure junos.

it_user5700 - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Leaderboard
I found it to be difficult to make the transition from Cisco to Juniper as far as the CLI goes.

Overall, the equipment is pretty good and more affordable than some other solutions. I found it to be difficult to make the transition from CISCO to Juniper as far as the CLI goes, maybe thats just me. I also had more than one instance where a switch would just stop working and I would have to reload the firmware on it and reconfigure it to get it back up and running. This caused me to purchase backup devices to minimize downtime and really cut into the cost savings over CISCO.

it_user2589 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Impressive features but switches are facing tough competition

Valuable Features:

From the technology point of view quality, design, and look-and-feel is good. Network administrators can easily manage and configure these network switches. I have easily configured an L3 switch to create a network campus backbone. Low maintenance required. No certification (CCNA, CCIE) is required to become a network administrator to set up a Juniper network.

Room for Improvement:

During price negotiation we found that price is high compared to other switches. High price is obstructing sales in market. I felt that on-site and telephone support is not satisfactory.
Download our free Juniper Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022