IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is #3 ranked solution in top Metadata Management tools. PeerSpot users give Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog vs AWS Glue. Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Metadata Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog?

Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog provides a machine-learning-based discovery engine to collect data assets across the enterprise while increasing the understanding of those data assets through a graph-based enterprise information catalog. Powered by Informatica’s unique metadata services engine, Enterprise Information Catalog enables business analysts and data stewards to find all types of data across the enterprise; discover relationships among them; enrich data with business glossary terms and crowdsourced annotations; and understand the provenance, quality, and usage of their data.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog was previously known as Informatica EDC, Informatica Enterprise Information Catalog, Enterprise Information Catalog.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Customers

AIA Singapore, Mattel

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Video

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog Reviews

Manager, Data Governance at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
They listen to their customers, so if something is missing or not working, they will put it on their roadmap.
  • "I like EDC's self-service capabilities. You can put the catalog on the intranet inside the organization, so users can search for something. People in the research world have specialized systems, and you might find data from various places that sound similar."
  • "Interoperability is one area where EDC has room for improvement. It was challenging when the faculty took over the data world and had specific vendors they wanted to use, and some were not particularly open platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We were trying to publish a compendium of all our various assets using an Oracle-based data warehouse. We also had vendor-based solutions like Epic for electronic medical records on an SQL Server base. We had many research systems on various platforms because it's a cancer research institution.

We wanted to pull together a comprehensive data catalog to show people all the different assets we had and where they could go to find things. If there were vendor-based definitions of things, we'd pull in the definitions and various attributes. It's a heterogeneous environment data-wise. We get a lot of value from a comprehensive enterprise catalog.

It's available on our intranet through a data governance portal. You could go there for a catalog, quality reports, etc. In a year, there may have been 500 unique visitors. It was my job to publicize it, but I didn't necessarily do a good job. I worked with research groups and clinicians to get their stuff on it, and they would tell other people about it. The nice thing about Informatica is that it was easy to link from our internal web portal to their catalog. I had excellent developers working for me. It didn't require much development, and it took less and less as time went on.

What is most valuable?

I like EDC's self-service capabilities. You can put the catalog on the intranet inside the organization, so users can search for something. People in the research world have specialized systems, and you might find data from various places that sound similar.

The purpose of the Enterprise Data Catalog was to build an internally searchable catalog of stuff. You may not have permission to see this data but at least you could find out where it was and contact the person who owns it.

What needs improvement?

Interoperability is one area where EDC has room for improvement. It was challenging when the faculty took over the data world and had specific vendors they wanted to use, and some were not particularly open platforms.

It was a challenge to promote data visibility while also jumping through hoops to take some of the proprietary things and make them part of the calling, especially when the vendor doesn't necessarily support interoperability. You need to export things from a vendor program and import them again.

We used Informatica for a lot of the data governance stuff I worked with when I joined the company, including things like cataloging and profiling data. The organization has really changed a lot in the last year and went with Informatica EDC. They're moving from the on-prem version to the cloud.

July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Collibra, Alation and others in Metadata Management. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Informatica is a strong company, and EDC is a solid platform.

The scalability is excellent. Informatica really knows what it's doing. They're smart people and great engineers.

Informatica's customer service and support were decent. They listen to their customers. If something is missing or wasn't working, they will put it on their roadmap. They were listening to customers for roadmap stuff.

We wound up building a staging database to pull stuff out of the EDC, stage it, and then access that. It was open, so we would often have an intermediary layer at Oracle. If we wanted to show, for example, data quality over time, we would have a weekly quality process that would run. We staged that in an Oracle database, and the portal could access that.

We had to build Informatica pipelines and do some Azure work to feed data to them. With data warehousing, you typically have static data that is timestamped daily or weekly and sometimes monthly or annually.  We were trying to get real-time data, like blood pressure monitoring and stuff like that. That was a lot of work. I didn't do it. The integration team.

When I joined the company, it was an Oracle-based solution. Then Epic took over, which was SQL Server-based. After that, they went to Azure. Now, all the analytics are supposed to be on this platform, and it's not particularly open.

Setting up Informatica EDC is usually pretty straightforward. The challenge is working with vendors like Oracle and Microsoft, which have APIs for integrating things. You can query what they have. They want it to play well with other vendors because they know customers don't only have one brand of product. In some cases, you get vendors in there that are, "No, we're not going to do that because we're so special." It was a challenge. The platform of choice for data initiatives at the cancer research institution is Palantir.

We didn't look for an alternative, but Azure has its own catalog.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog nine out of 10. It's a great solution, and I was happy with it. It did everything I wanted, and Informatica dramatically increased the integration points over time. When we started, it was like Oracle and SQL Server, but now they're adding NoSQL databases and others.

Informatica has user groups and listens to user input. One of the people that worked for me hosts an annual Informatica user group in Houston. You can try to build your own Oracle-based or SQL-based solution. They listened to the market, and they're working on improving the interoperability. Maybe it works better with Palantir since I left, but they work across all platforms. They're making it Cloud-based. I didn't know anything about them before I got here. I was dropped into a department where Informatica had been for at least five or six years, and it was a good choice.

Manoj Narayanan - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Director - Digital & Analytics Practice at HCL Technologies
Great metadata management with more visibility and great technical support
  • "The metadata management of Informatica is great."
  • "It is not easy to set up and configure the tool."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for enterprise-wide data discovery and traceability, providing business context to data and collaboration between different stakeholders of data.

My organization, being a service provider, uses the product to develop domain PoCs, customer PoCs, develop data management and governance use cases, etc. The major issue with enterprises are the ability to quickly develop an MVP and showcase it to business and other data users for greater buy-in. This is important as these are new technologies - and hence, users might not easily adopt.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization is a service provider as compared to an end-user. We have helped multiple organizations onboard onto data management using these technologies.

It has improved different areas for different enterprises, including the improvement in overall business outcome and business experience, imbibing a data-driven culture, having easy availability of the right and relevant data, allowing for better compliance to regulations, and providing greater data quality and privacy management.

It has also improved overall time to service data requests such as DSAR requests.

What is most valuable?

The metadata management of Informatica is great. When an organization uses developer for data integration, IDQ for Data Quality, EDC for Data Catalog, Axon for Business Glossary, DPM for data privacy management etc., Informatica tools integrate metadata from all these tools seamlessly. The advantage is getting a complete view of your enterprise data through business and data lineage - as it not only provides you with pure data lineage but also associates related data quality measures, data protection levels, etc.

What needs improvement?

Additional metadata harvesters from different major tools can be an added advantage. Informatica provides some smart connectors for harvesting metadata from some of the industry tools. That said, this can be improved a lot more.

Overall, the toolsets are really good.

Installation and configuration can be another area where Informatica can improvise a bit. It is not easy to set up and configure the tool. A proper step by step guide to ensure this process goes smooth can be a huge advantage for end customers.

I've used the solution for more than six years.

The stability is excellent.

The scalability is excellent.

Technical support is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Most of our customers were using excel and email-based communication for data access. These new-age solutions improve efficiency ten times or more.

The initial setup was not very straightforward. This is an area of improvement.

We, being a service provider, have implemented and configured the setup on our own.

ROI depends on the buy-in from businesses and overall adoption rates. There is a huge amount of change management and change strategy that needs to be in place to ensure users are adopting the new tools/technology.

Informatica has good pricing options and a good professional services team who can help with setup/configuration.

There are other competing good products such as Collibra, Azure Purview, Erwin, IBM CP4D, and more. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an Informatica shop, there is no need to think twice to opt for an Informatica-based Data Management product suit.

Private Cloud

Other
July 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Carlos Souza - PeerSpot reviewer
Global IT Security Program Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easily scalable data catalog with good data profiling and data domain discovery features, but its ease of use and set up needs improvement
  • "Multifeatured and easily scalable data catalog, with good data domain discovery and data profiling features."
  • "This solution is hard to set up and its interface is not user-friendly. It's also not as stable, and the technical support takes a lot of time to solve simple problems."

What is our primary use case?

I use Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog for searching for PII data, tagging different kinds of data, and for data lineage.

What is most valuable?

These are the features I found useful in Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog: one is its data profiling is good. The data lineage is also okay, though it had a few issues to be solved. The data domain discovery for the solution is good, though it was hard to implement.

What needs improvement?

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is hard to set up, so this is an area for improvement, e.g. it would be good if they make it easier to set up, because the project was made 80% of the time of the setup. Another area for improvement is its ease of use, because the interface is not as user-friendly.

I've been using Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog for the last three years, and the last time I used it was three days ago.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is not as stable.

Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is an easily scalable solution.

The technical support for Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is not so good, because it took a lot of time for them to solve simple problems.

The set up for this solution was not easy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people who want to implement Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog is that they need to be sure that it can deliver the expectations they have about the data catalog, because after our implementation, we weren't able to use it a lot.

I'm rating Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog seven out of ten.

Download our free Metadata Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Informatica, Collibra, Alation, and more!
Updated: July 2022