IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Sterling File Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Sterling File Gateway is #10 ranked solution in top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Sterling File Gateway an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. IBM Sterling File Gateway is most commonly compared to AWS Transfer for SFTP: IBM Sterling File Gateway vs AWS Transfer for SFTP. IBM Sterling File Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 25% of all views.

Download the Managed File Transfer (MFT) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is IBM Sterling File Gateway?

Securely manage transfer files with authentication, encryption and audit trails while you retain administrative control of data using a library of templates.

Sterling File Gateway can help you increase secure and dependable file transfer with your trading partners. It consolidates disparate centers of file transfer activity and facilitates the security-rich exchange of file-based data over the Internet. It helps companies avoid the risk and operational issues that can result from using loosely controlled file-transfer servers.

IBM Sterling File Gateway Video

Archived IBM Sterling File Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Technical Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
Adaptive, flexible solution that is fairly stable but the auto-deployment has service disruptions
  • "It's highly configurable, there is no need for standalone scripting."
  • "I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for file management within our organization, and in different outlets as well.

What is most valuable?

It's highly configurable and there is no need for standalone scripting. It's adaptive, functional, and it's quick and easy to set up interfaces. It's similar to the Oracle product switch and Fusion Huawei.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need improvement are user management, user interface, and the segregation of users. These are the areas that I am battling with at the moment. It's not geared towards your user community. If you're an administrator of the system, it's fairly easy, but then to segregate the configuration and give the availability to it, it's a bit of a nightmare.

In the next release, I would like to see upgraded user segregation, user management, and looking into auto-deploys. Once you need to deploy a new bundle of software, you need some service downtime. I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions. That is what this industry is always looking at.

When you deploy something, you want your service to always be on, and with this solution that is not the case.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

Managed File Transfer (MFT)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Axway and others in Managed File Transfer (MFT). Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's fairly stable.

Over the years, we have only encountered one or two bugs, which were introduced through new software releases.

This solution is scalable, but there are always licensing cost implications.

You can scale it, but it depends on how you scale it. If you scale it horizontally, there will be license implications.

It's an enterprise solution and we have just under 2,800 interfaces on the system. Every interface would count as a user.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes approximately three months to deploy.

Within our company, we have a team of four, plus two integrators to deploy this solution.

To maintain this solution we have our team of four.

We used an integrator to deploy this solution.

It is now something that is an off-the-shelf solution. It's not something that we custom develop. When it comes to a roll-out, it's fairly easy.

It's reasonably priced at $800,000. That's the annual maintenance cost.

You have to pay to expand your additional platform.

What other advice do I have?

The only limitation of this solution is that you have to pay to expand it, other than that it's stable and flexible.

Plan your upgrades very carefully, and go through the documentation.

It's a fairly stable product, but there are always other products on the market.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good functionality and good technical support

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable aspect is that it has good functionality.

I have been using IBM Sterling File Gateway for eight years.

Scalability is a bit complex.

The technical support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Not a ten because  it's a bit complex, not so simple. It's one product but there are many screens.

Download our free Managed File Transfer (MFT) Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Axway, and more!
Updated: July 2022
Product Categories
Managed File Transfer (MFT)