IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is #47 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an average rating of 6 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Protect: IBM Spectrum Protect Plus vs IBM Spectrum Protect. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is IBM Spectrum Protect Plus?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a data protection and availability solution for virtual environments that can be deployed in minutes and protect your environment within an hour. It simplifies data protection, whether data is hosted in physical, virtual, software-defined or cloud environments. It can be implemented as a stand-alone solution or integrate with your IBM Spectrum Protect environment to off-load copies for long term storage and data governance with scale and efficiency.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Customers

PT Wings Surya, Tectrade, State of Ohio

Archived IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Reviews (more than two years old)

JohannFLEURY - PeerSpot reviewer
IBM Spectrum Protect Expert at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable solution with a straightforward deployment
  • "The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do."
  • "Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need."

What is our primary use case?

We are deploying SP+ for validating our database related backup and strategy requiring a lot of updates when in pilot phase. Thus we can adapt the backup and recovery strategy accordingly and then push it in production for the release it has been tested.we can easily scratch the POC and restart straight a new set of validation

How has it helped my organization?

It gives DBA, vMware and application teams full control over their backup and restore responsibilities. It ensure that we set correct RPO/RTO and that we are aligned to our business strategy

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a quick self-deployment. Using TDP for HANA is also very valuable. They have good integration. And if sizing requiring it, it is straightforward to offload data to spectrum protect server.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to discuss improvements in Spectrum Protect Plus itself because it has been implemented in Spectrum Protect, and I'm using both. It could possibly use more reporting features. Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand At that scale the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need.
Backup and Recovery Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: June 2022.
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for 6 years.

The solution is very stable. With both SPP and SPP Plus, you have a very powerful environment.

The scalability is very good. There's no competition that's comparable.

Technical support isn't too bad. Of course, there's always room for improvement. We do have a lot more issues with first level support. As we're already advanced User in using SPP, most of the time we need the second level or third level of support. So sometimes we struggle with first level support because they don't even understand the issues we have. They're too junior.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do. It took about one hour to implement the solution.

We deployed the solution fully in-house.

Visibility over 4 to 5 years with clear roadmap from IBM.

sP+ worth the investment in regards of capabilities, scalability vs cost. With the right understanding of the administrators, the possibilities given by this tool worth any penny invested. And it totally support automation.

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. I recommend the solution. You don't need to go to any other product. If you want to have a strong backup for recovery and restore, you need this solution. Resilience is optimum with Spectrum Protect suite from IBM. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Senior Technical Lead at Quinticon
Virtual snapshots with incremental backups is a key feature
  • "Virtual snapshots that offer incremental backups."
  • "Not particularly user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We're a bank and use the solution for backup and recovery, it's a disaster recovery enterprise solution. We're partners with IBM and I'm the Senior Technical Lead Consultant.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the virtual snapshots that offer incremental backups forever.

What needs improvement?

I don't think the solution is particularly user friendly, it requires expertise. Technical support could also be improved. Now that they're in the cloud I think they'll start enhancing with their backups. They weren't very good in the virtual world but they seem to be making more of an effort in the latest version and trying to align themselves with other backup solutions. IBM's an expensive solution so if you're enterprise you'll go with them, especially if you have other IBM products in the workplace.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a very stable solution, but it requires a spectrum protect person working with it and not a regular admin person. In that respect, it's not very user friendly.

It's a scalable solution but not like the products we have today. Scalability depends on setup and requires planning and architecture. If you have that then it's a scalable product.

Technical support is a bit problematic, I have good technical support within the company but if I need third level support there's nobody in Australia who can take a call for that. I wouldn't call support unless it's third level but it takes a while to get a response from them. I've been trying to solve an issue for six months. They keep sending different codes and commands that don't work. Maybe now that they've designed a private cloud it might be better.

Initial setup of the solution requires expertise in configuration and installation, a person who has a connection to IBM or knows the product. This is not an out of the box solution. If it's not set up properly it's a nightmare to try and maintain down the line. Initial setup doesn't take a long time as long as the hardware specs are aligned but you have to know your environment and have a design. It requires planning.

Given that it's an expensive product I would suggest that if you're rich go with IBM, and if you're poor go with someone else. Most enterprise companies like to show off with these products. I've been lucky to have worked in enterprise companies.

What other advice do I have?

IBM doesn't work well on a middle-ware level when you're using solutions from different companies. I've been reading about their recent virtualisation. Once they master that, they'll probably be number one again and they seem to now be aligning themselves and starting to create a compatible product with all the clouds.

What's caused part of the problem with IBM are their ongoing support costs. It looks like they're now changing their model and aligning themselves by creating a compatible product with all the clouds. Until now, Commvault has been the only compatible solution with all the clouds, whereas IBM has only been compatible with their own solutions. It's only now they're starting to integrate. There is an arrogance about them but lately I think they've realised that they need to be more public with their stuff and to compete with Commvault.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Backup and Recovery Software
June 2022
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kudzanayi Manjera - PeerSpot reviewer
Service Manager at KENAC COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Backup, recovery and data management systems help assure the integrity and safety of your data
  • "A full-featured data protection solution that is reliable and stable."
  • "The Gui interface and usability are not so friendly and easy."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this is data protection and management using various features of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

Virtualization has helped us increase efficiency by working against data analysis almost immediately and without interrupting performance. We have experienced about an 80% savings in effort on our backups and satisfying data safety which makes us more efficient and improves our organization.

What is most valuable?

Certainly, the data protection is the most valuable feature for using the product but the secondary functions of replication, backup and recovery, are invaluable in helping to protect the validity of the data.

What needs improvement?

One of the places where the product can improve is in the interface. It is a little cumbersome to interact with and not very user-friendly. If the interface could be more simple it would make using the product better.

The only other improvement I can think of — and again this has something to do with the GUI interface — is to include other features for configuration and scheduling tasks to make using the product more simple.

We have been using this solution since 2012, or seven years.

We have never had a problem with the product and find it to be extremely stable. It handles loads very well and this is important for data security.

When it comes to scalability, we find that we are able to add new features and scale use of features fairly easily.

We have currently deployed the solution for nine clients and hope to continue to grow from there.

IBM generally has very good technical support if we require it, but also we are supposed to be experts, so we do not need to use their services often.

We actually concurrently serve customers using more than one option and the other option we work with is Veeam. Which we deploy depends on the customer need and their preferences.

Our experience with installations and deployment is that the installation is straightforward. It did not take more than an hour to install beside additional configurations and customizations required by the clients. The troubleshooting afterward may take more time, but usually, we can have everything in place in less than a day.

As we are the reseller or vendor we do the installations and configurations ourselves.

We only use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus with yearly licensing fees. It depends on which solutions or plan that you choose for exactly how much it will cost.

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice for people who are thinking about using the product, the product is excellent and it works. I can recommend using it and that you can be satisfied.

On a scale of one to ten where one is worst and ten is best, I give the product an eight. The biggest reason why this is an eight and not a ten is the same issues with the GUI interface and that it could be easier to use.

MostafaShoaei - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Center Platform Designer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A multi-platform solution that supports a variety of media and has no limitations
  • "This is a multi-platform backup solution where you can take a backup from AIX, Windows, or Linux servers and restore from CD, disk, or tape."
  • "The user experience is very bad and the interface needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I was using this solution at my previous job, about six months ago. The company that I am with now is planning to purchase it, although, at this time, we do not have any of these products.

I have experience with the on-premises deployment model, and it was our backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows you to create a backup using any storage, and then take another one for disaster recovery. This is something that is very important for us.

What is most valuable?

This is a multi-platform backup solution where you can take a backup from AIX, Windows, or Linux servers and restore from CD, disk, or tape. It will restore exactly, from whatever you have. It's really comfortable.

This product has no limitations.

What needs improvement?

The user experience is very bad and the interface needs to be improved. It is not user-friendly. This is not my complaint, alone, but everybody I know who has worked with this solution. In order to perform a backup, professionally, you need to use the command-line interface. By comparison, Veritas has a backup solution with a very nice user interface that is easy to use.

This solution is difficult to troubleshoot when an error occurs. It gives you an error number that you can search for in the manual, or on the internet, to find an answer, but details are not given within the user interface. Again, it is just not user-friendly.

I have about one month experience with the Plus version of this solution.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution.

We have three backup managers who work together. I am with the Linux team, and we installed this solution, but we will be handing it over to the maintenance team. As both teams work with this solution, there are five people in total.

We are backing up approximately one hundred servers. We currently don't have any plans to expand this location, so our usage here will not increase. However, we do have branches in other cities, so in the future, we expect to use this solution in each of the branches.

I have a lot of experience with IBM Spectrum Protect, and the Plus version has extra features. It includes, for example, cloud features. After we upgraded to the plus version, I did not use many of the additional features. From my perspective, I did not really notice any difference between the two versions. We made the switch because our consultants suggested the Plus version, and our research told us that it is a really good solution to upgrade to.

We actually used multiple backup solutions, but I am unable to name them.

We did not initially install and configure the Plus version. The initial setup was for IBM Spectrum Protect, and then we performed an upgrade to the Plus version.

The initial setup is complex, for a new installation, when somebody does it for the first time. It is not too hard when you have experience with it. Our deployment took approximately one day.

I and my colleague performed the implementation in-house, with some assistance from IBM.

This solution is worth the investment.

This solution is expensive, but compared to other backup solutions, it is fair.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees. Unlike some other solutions, such as Veritas NetBackup where you have to pay for different licenses to use different features, there is a single license that allows you to use all of the features.

What other advice do I have?

This is a really strong application that I find really useful and reliable for backup, but it needs to be more user-friendly.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Principal Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good deduplication and replication features and you can scale upwards as much as you want
  • "The feature I find most valuable is the offload to Spectrum Protect for long-term retention. I think the deduplication and replication are quite nice on Plus."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be for all our VMs. We are currently using Spectrum Protect but we're actually planning on moving everything onto Spectrum Protect Plus.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the offload to Spectrum Protect for long-term retention. I think the deduplication and replication are quite nice on Plus.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I would like to see improved is the actual schedule that you get on the policies. It does not allow for being flexible, like for weekly, just day one to five, and leave day six and seven. Especially if we're running multiple policies, like if we want to do a basic weekly incremental and then later do a monthly.

In the next release, I want to see updates on the scheduling so that we can have more options on how you schedule stuff, like allowing you to use your everyday requirement.

We've been using this solution for almost two months now.

So far it looks quite stable and I haven't had issues yet. It looks quite fine.

I think it is scalable because you can scale upwards as much as you want to provide for your infrastructure. We are currently running it on a POC basis, so we are probably still in a pilot phase. The workload is not heavy yet due to the infrastructure. We're actually working on procurement of storage and our usage will increase. I'm currently only running three VMs, which in fact is quite big. And our immediate goal is to move 100 large VMs across. From there, we'll continue growing. We have about 700 or 800 VMs in our environment.

We plan to upgrade to Spectrum Protect and for us it's moving forward. Firstly, backing up something on an archival level that is running on the same archival level is better. Secondly, the cost of Spectrum Protect Plus versus Spectrum Protect is much better, because I think you get around 10 VMs per terabyte licensing that you use. That will definitely be a huge gain for us.

The plugin on VMware of Spectrum Protect is totally different. So, with Spectrum Protect Plus you don't see the actual backup within the vCenter. The only thing that you see is that it creates a snap and then the backup runs totally outside of it.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and it was easy to actually set it up and start using it. The architecture is totally different from Spectrum Protect. I would like to see the commands and what's happening in the background, so it would nice to see a view of that.

The deployment was subject to the availability on the VMware side. We needed to go seek approvals and changes and things like that but the environment that I am currently using, I could deploy in a day.

Because we've got Spectrum Protect, we're going to use some of that licensing and convert it to Plus. One additional cost is obviously going to be the infrastructure that we need to buy for the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The sooner you can do it and get going, the better. I rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Digital Transformation Manager
    A reliable solution for our physical and virtual machines, but it is difficult to administer and technical support needs to be improved
    • "With this product, we now have a reliable backup solution."
    • "Instead of using the command prompt for troubleshooting and administering the backup, there should be an easy-to-use graphical user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this as a backup solution in our on-premises environment.

How has it helped my organization?

With this product, we now have a reliable backup solution.

What needs improvement?

The administration is not user-friendly and needs to be improved. It is more suited to a technical person. Instead of using the command prompt for troubleshooting and administering the backup, there should be an easy-to-use graphical user interface.

The reporting should be improved. This solution would benefit from reports that included more aggregated data from the databases.

We had an incident where we were unable to recover our data, and it was very bad. The solution was already implemented, but for technical reasons and a misunderstanding, we were not able to recover our data. This detracts from their credibility.

We have been using this solution for four months.

In terms of stability, we have not seen many challenges aside from the one incident that we had, where we could not recover our data.

This solution seems scalable. We plan on adding more services and backing up more servers with it. We currently are backing up four physical servers, and twenty virtual machines. We have five administrators.

We've had many problems with technical support, and I would rate them a five out of ten. There was a lot of bureaucracy before they would send engineers to our site.

Prior to this solution, we were performing manual backups.

We downloaded the software from the vendor's website.

The initial setup was complex. Most of the work was done by an engineer from IBM. We really tried to follow the process so that we could understand it and troubleshoot if we encounter en error, but it was quite complex to follow. It is not a straightforward implementation.

The deployment took approximately two months, and there is a training period.

An IBM engineer assisted us with the deployment, and they are good at their work.

We have not yet seen ROI because we are still early in the project, but maybe we will, with time.

The licensing fees are on a yearly basis. In addition to the standard licensing fees, we paid for implementation and training.

We did evaluate other products before choosing this solution. We had a look at Veritas and another solution that works with VMware. We chose this solution because the price is lower than that of the other two. Also, we already had their hardware, including the server and tape libraries.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to be open-minded when checking the infrastructure and technology, and then see whether this solution will be the best one for them.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from this solution is that project planning is key. You have to plan ahead for all of the various scenarios.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Administrator Systems at a retailer with 51-200 employees
    A stable solution with good online support to protect client data
    • "This solution is very stable and has good support available online."
    • "The administration needs to be improved and made simpler to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to back up our client's nodes on a schedule. Our deployment is in an on-premises environment that includes an IBM server and the Lenovo TS3200 Tape Library.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very stable and has good support available online.

What needs improvement?

The virtual tape library needs to be improved.

We have trouble with the administration of this solution. We need to update the volumes in the tape, but it first has to be transferred from tape to disk. The administration needs to be improved and made simpler to use.

The time required for backup should be optimized.

The verification process needs to be performed daily, so this should be more automated.

The volume of the database grows every day.

In the next release of this solution, I would like support for replication between the primary and secondary data centers. The duplicate backup date should be automatically eliminated.

We have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable.

We have two users for this solution. One is a backup administrator and the other is the operator.

We have not used technical support for this solution. When we receive an error code, we search online and find the answer immediately.

We have been using this solution since it was named the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM TSM) and did not use another solution prior.

With my experience, I don't have a problem with the installation of this solution. However, it is very difficult to install, configure, and administer with the AIX system and virtual environments.

We pay a monthly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

At this time, I do not recommend using this solution and suggest that people choose another one. It is difficult to install, configure, and administer.

Sean Ramnarayan - PeerSpot reviewer
    API features enable us to integrate with Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and IBM Db2
    • "The most valuable features are the API features because it allows you to integrate with your Microsoft SQL, your Oracle, and your IBM Db2."
    • "I would like integration into where the VMware guys can do their own restores."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup within the customer's environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently, we are doing all of the PDP for VMware environments, and it seems to have been assisting us in a great way and making our backup more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the API features because it allows you to integrate with your Microsoft SQL, your Oracle, and your IBM Db2.

What needs improvement?

The new functionality with the retention policy, where you can push it down from H2 Plus down to the Normal Spectrum Protect needs improvement.

There is an individual file-level restore. I would like integration into where the VMware guys can do their own restores.

I have been using this solution for more than sixteen years.

At the moment, the stability of this solution seems to be extremely good. We just have to start putting more data on it and see what is going to happen with our VMware environment.

This is a scalable solution. I am aware that there are other users in South Africa using this solution. We currently only have one customer but we do plan to increase usage.

We have not used any technical support yet.

We used the original Spectrum Protect with TDP for VMware.

We changed to the Spectrum Protect Plus because of the licensing.

The initial setup is straightforward if you follow the book. It only needs one person to deploy it and maintain it, with a maximum of two. Should one get sick, the other could take over.  We have a back-up team.

Our deployment was internally cloud-connected. At the moment, we are not using it as a public or private cloud. The deployment took less than a day because we had to wait on the VMware guys to build the OVA for us.

We started to deploy it more into existing VMware environments in our environment. We have deployed it in only two of our environments and we have another six to do.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

At the moment we have not seen a return on our investment.

The licensing model of Spectrum Protect Plus is more efficient and cheaper compared to the original. It is much more efficient because of the cost. There are no additional set up costs that I am aware of.

They charge you for every terabyte of licensing that you can back up. We have a contract with IBM that includes maintenance for three or five years.

What other advice do I have?

If they are using the existing System Protect they should convert to Spectrum Protect Plus. It will save them a lot of money from a cost perspective.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    Integrates well with Oracle, operating in different deployment models
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the integration with Oracle."
    • "The backup support for IBM Power Virtualization needs to be added."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for virtual machine backup.  I have multiple environments including public-cloud, private-cloud, and an internal infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the integration with Oracle.

What needs improvement?

The backup support for IBM Power Virtualization needs to be added. This would be a pretty good plus for this solution because no product at this moment, as I know, offers this feature.

I have been using this solution for a three month trial period.

It seems stable. I don't have much experience with this solution in a production environment, but it seems pretty stable.

I did not use this solution extensively during the trial period.

The solution can be scaled easily.

I was the only person using this solution during our trial period.

I did not contact technical support during the trial period.

I know their other product, IBM Spectrum Protect Server, very well. I tried this solution, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, to see what is different. I wanted to know what the advantages were to using this version.

Given that we are an integrator, our environment is one such that we will not be switching, at least for the moment.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The deployment took approximately one day.

I took care of the deployment myself.

Muhammad Akmal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior IT infrastructure admin at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to have longer retention which saves us more money
    • "Some of the features we find very valuable and use a lot, are retention sets."
    • "An area that needs improvement is data validation. We currently use another product that gives us immediate validation, information about when the last backup was, and no risk of corruption happening. TSM in IBM Spectrum is not mature so that you can validate on the spot."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for backup and recovery.

How has it helped my organization?

The first advantage of using this solution is that it saves us money. Because with this product, we basically use this solution for data management or the backup management we are using. It reduces our multiple copies of data. If you do a daily backup on Spectrum Protect, you will get a longer retention feature.

I also like the speed of the duplication copy of the storage pool under IBM TSM libraries that this solution offers. You can make multiple copies of the same storage for and across multiple tape libraries, while in other solutions it's not easy to do.

What is most valuable?

Some of the features we find very valuable and use a lot are retention sets. There is a lot of content validation of the data that we use, and that is very helpful. Apart from this data retention technology, Spectrum Protect duplicates things which is useful.
    We have an environment that is not only the raw file system, but the databases also. Different Exchange, SQL and all these kind of different applications are integrated with the Spectrum Protect. So it's a free functional kind of environment. Other features like centralization, data retention technologies, and retention sets are the very useful in our environment.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for seven or eight years now.

There is no doubt that the solution is really stable. When I was working for IBM a few years ago, I have been involved in implementing it at a couple of places. Once implemented, you don't need to worry about it. Other solutions have to be updated regularly, but that is not the case here.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is fully scalable. Whenever I interact with a customer I tell him that this is not only a backup solution, it is a total data management solution where you get protection, data protection, plus archiving and many other things. This is quite a huge portfolio so I do believe it is a scalable product.

The technical support is very good. A customer can just raise a support ticket online and IBM will be available and check in to give support - either by getting in contact or by sending a solution email. When I used their technical support a while back, a technical engineer came back to me within a day.

I worked with a net backup solution (EMC) at the previous organization where I worked. They offered specific benefits in terms of a user interface that was easy to use. They also have a very good graphical interface and users could easily perform tasks, do backups and do data retention. That was easy in those products.

At that time IBM Spectrum Protect was not that easy to use. It was only in 2014 that IBM Spectrum Protect mad their user interface easier and then this product became more popular. Today IBM Spectrum Protect is easier to use than other products. Other products are still at the same level of use as they were 7 or 8 years ago.

IBM Spectrum is also fully integrated with IBM products and that is why we went for the IBM Spectrum Protect. We liked that they were integrated with existing middle-ware and other products they are using.

Five or six years ago it would have been complex. But now it's no trouble and not that much complex at all. It is user-friendly - from the interface point and from the intelligence point of view. So now it's not that much difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for others who are looking at buying a data recovery and backup solution. But this product is not just for backup and recovery. This is far bigger than that. Backup and recovery is only one component of this product, as it also offers data to life-cycle management. I rate this a nine out of ten.

Storage Sales Leader at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    MSP
    The solution is scalable and can be fitted for any customer
    • "The solution's stability is high because it is derived from Spectrum Protect."
    • "The solution is scalable and can be fitted for any customer."
    • "I would like more integration with security. We need to show the value of the product in regards to handling security. For example, how it handles current malware or viruses. IBM should be more proactive in this direction."

What is our primary use case?

It is a new product coming out from IBM to compete mainly against Veeam and Backup Exec software. It is mostly for the virtual environment, which is either VMware or Hyper-V.

Our starting customers have approximately 30 to 40 VM machines. This is our target per customer, which may grow in the future, but cost-wise, it should be less for them.

Mostly, in our region, they are implemented on-premise with a mix of disk or tape. Some of them are looking for cloud, and this product is fully integrated with all cloud vendors, like IBM Cloud or Amazon Cloud. Therefore, there is no problem if the customer would like to have type of of cloud backup to keep his data.

What needs improvement?

I would like more integration with security. We need to show the value of the product in regards to handling security. For example, how it handles current malware or viruses. IBM should be more proactive in this direction.

The solution's stability is high because it is derived from Spectrum Protect.

It is scalable. It starts from a small customer and grows with them as they develop and build up their business in the future.

Our company is managing small customer to large enterprise customers. This is because Spectrum Protect or Spectrum Protect Plus database can support very large enterprise customers with more than 4 billion objects. Thus, the solution is scalable and can be fitted for any customer.

We use them to support customer problems. The customer can open a ticket with a PMR with IBM for support. The customer can open it directly or we have our support line on GBM, so it will help the customer at a first stage or step before getting to IBM support. However, in a lot of cases, IBM is already supporting the customer, and the support is very good. The total fix time is recognized, and they can help our customers very well.

I sell the product, but we have client engagement with the customer during the project planning. This explains to the customer the scope of work and how much it will take. So, our implementation guy already creates this scope after discussing the customer requirements and understanding the customer infrastructure, or customer components, then they decide the scope of work. We have to execute the project plan to be ensure that the product is delivered and installed correctly.

If the customer is new, maybe the older version of Spectrum Protect was little bit complex because it did not have full gateway interface interaction. However, the newer version of Spectrum Protect is easier, and the customer is likely to see the gateway interface. It is much more user friendly.

The price offering from IBM is coming down because it is based on number of VM machines. So, IBM is coming to the market to show the added value of the product. The product can be extended again on for a short-term retention on disk if you are going only on a virtual environment, only on VM base licensing. However, if you need to extend it, it can be extended acting like a normal Spectrum Protect with a long archive.

Our customers do evaluate other vendors, especially Commvault. We also cannot ignore Veritas and EMC NetWorker Solutions. These solutions sometimes evaluate our base on pricing or function. It depends on the customer situation. It is different from customer to customer, as it is a bit difficult to change the backup software on the customer side. This is because it requires a lot of migration.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!
    Updated: June 2022