Huawei NGFW OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei NGFW is the #25 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Huawei NGFW an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Huawei NGFW is most commonly compared to Cisco Secure Firewall: Huawei NGFW vs Cisco Secure Firewall. Huawei NGFW is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 21% of all views.
Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Huawei NGFW?

In addition to all the functions of conventional firewalls, Huawei NGFW also provides more advanced security functions, such as IPS and anti-malware functions, to identify applications and prevent application-layer threats. Huawei NGFW provides a global context awareness architecture for granular controls based on application, content, time, user, attack, and location (ACTUAL). The innovative SmartPolicy technology and management interfaces that can be easily integrated simplify the O&M management. The Intelligence Awareness Engine (IAE) uses an integrated architecture to perfectly balance security and performance. Huawei NGFW provides next-generation security featuring comprehensive protection, granular control, and OM simplicity to meet the requirements of enterprise networks on access control, scope of protection, usability, and performance in the new ICT landscape.

Huawei NGFW was previously known as Huawei USG Firewalls, USG9500 Series, USG6600 Series, USG6300 Series.

Huawei NGFW Customers

KMITL, Peking University

Huawei NGFW Video

Huawei NGFW Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei NGFW pricing:
  • "When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly."
  • "The price of the license of this solution is high."
  • "I believe that we are entitled to a one-year extension on our licensing."
  • Huawei NGFW Reviews

Chief Information Security Officer at Scil Animal Care Company S.r.l.
    It's reliable and simple to use
    • "Huawei support is excellent. I rate it 10 out of 10."
    • "One issue is integration. Huawei can't detect Indicators of Compromise (IoC). I can get a lot of information about security, but can't automatically input the EP, domain URL, and file hashes I get from Hackersworld into my blocklist."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei for a firewall and router switching with some components of our network. It's the first line of defense for our infrastructure. Our USG protects the navigation and communication of a lots of people. We have a big fiber channel network with more than 600 kilometers of fiber.

We have our environment and our technical needs, and if those can't be met by our base configuration we need to seek out an additional solution with extra features. In USG, we have both BBN and OBBN as well as some additional security features, like ATS and anti-spam.

What is most valuable?

We have a lot of experience with the Huawei firewall, so we understand it well.

What needs improvement?

One issue is integration. Huawei can't detect Indicators of Compromise (IoC). I can get a lot of information about security, but can't automatically input the EP,  domain URL, and file hashes I get from Hackersworld into my blocklist.

It's a limitation. I have raised this issue with Huawei, but the feature isn't anywhere on the roadmap at the moment. I must manually input the rules, but the firewall has limits on the number of rules you can enter. The firewall hangs once you reach that limit.

It's it a big problem for us, but we are almost able to solve it. We are switching to another solution because Huawei doesn't have the security feature we need on its roadmap.

We've been using Huawei for five or six years.

Huawei NGFW
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Huawei NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This product is at the end of its life, so I don't think it could be scale up. I'm not sure because I haven't verified it.

Huawei support is excellent. I rate it 10 out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Because five or six years ago, we added a next-generation firewall like USG. It was a traditional firewall in that period. And now, we are going to another solution because we need more feature again.

I don't remember much about the deployment because it was several years ago, but I can say that Huawei was easy to deploy and only took a few days. We converted our old firewall and configured it.

We deployed it ourselves.

We haven't yet decided which solution we are going to use next, but we have two goals. The first is automation of IOC rules. The second is the native integration with our SIEM, which Huawei doesn't have.

It's another big limitation because the Syslog of the firewall is a world in itself. It's difficult to understand how many kind of rules there are in the Syslog. It's difficult to integrate completely if the communication of the Syslog from the SIEM isn't automatic and native.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei NGFW eight out of 10. It's an excellent product that's stable and simple to use. I don't have anything bad to say about Huawei, but it's only a partial solution for my total needs.

It's a good product if you don't need a specific security feature. Huawei has its own IoC solution, so they give the customer the opportunity to connect the firewall to a central Huawei system that accepts the IoC data. It could be good for an organization that doesn't have their own security dataset. I have a threat-sharing system, so I would like to use mine, but it's not possible.

Junaid Iqbal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network System Architect at SIUT NORTH AMERICA INC
    Prompt support and offers an excellent set of features but needs better stability
    • "We have found the initial setup to be straightforward."
    • "The user interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use USG6635 for our DC core and the other one, USG6621, is for our internet edge.

What is most valuable?

We didn't face any compatibility issues with the Huawei Firewall. In our environment, there are no compatibility issues. We are using Huawei as a core technology environment for routing, switching, et cetera.

We have found the initial setup to be straightforward.

It is a scalable solution.

The feature set is rich. They already provide more features than any other product on the market right now.

Technical support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We are facing some session problems when we are using it in the DC core. Its behavior is abrupt. Sometimes it's working great and sometimes, the session gets stuck, and it would not kill automatically.

You need to restart or reset the firewall, and it'll work for over one or two months. Then it happens again, the session problems. There's something wrong with that version, maybe.

That happens only with the EMC query.

The user interface could be more user-friendly. We need to dig down some major features like SSL VPN and IPsec VPN. We need to dig into the features and then the sub interfaces to configure it for our environment.

We do see many false positives. Security features are not up to the mark for the enterprise level as yet.

We have been working on the solution for more than one and a half years.

It's not as stable as other products. We are facing some problems every one or more than two months. We need to reset the firewall device we are using every few months. This is a continuous, ongoing issue.

It's scalable. We don't find any problem with the integration within our environment, and we don't find any complications or any kind of problems with scaling down or up.

We have about 500 users on the solution at any given time.

The support is great. We always get a prompt response from them, and they try to resolve our problems as soon as possible, in their capability and at their level.

Currently, we are working on Fortinet and Huawei. I find Fortinet to be better, however.

It's pretty straightforward to set up as per our environment, however, as far as some features, the IPsec and then the SSL encryption are concerned, it can be tricky. We need to go deeper to explore the options.

We are configuring the solution in-house. We have a team available for installing the setup.  We need some kind of support for the initial training on the setup by the vendor, however. In our environment, we always take some training before the deployment of any product or any technology.

Since we are a charity organization in our region, the prices for the renewal costs are a little bit higher than the initial product cost. The pricing is a bit above average.

We are using an additional feature as a WAF. This is beyond the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

Other than the stability and the user-friendly environment, there's no problem with this Huawei product. Huawei needs to work on product stability in terms of firmware and some kind of feature sets. That said, it's not bad.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Huawei NGFW
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Software Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
    A next generation firewall solution that's easy to implement, but technical support could be better
    • "I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution."
    • "With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei NGFW for our internal infrastructure. We also implement it for our customers. Our primary use case is for our internal protection. Then for end-users we we implement Huawei firewalls.

What is most valuable?

I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately.

I have been working with Huawei NGFW for five years.

It's a stable solution.

I think Huawei is still okay. Scalability is not an issue. Basically, you don't have very tight control like the Cisco firewall. Maybe a very tight control in the number of concurrent connections if you acquire a license for this. Huawei is quite not so tight. It's quite easy to handle all this stuff.

Technical support could be better. The reason is that the Huawei support team is mainly in China. The communication would be mostly in Mandarin. I don't know what's wrong with the China part because whatever email communication comes to us, it looks like it was scanned. Most of the email attachments couldn't go through. Sometimes you request further analysis but unfortunately, all these attachments weren't able to go through. It's the same to even sign out of some solutions. You find software upgrade for new versions, but you're also not able to go through to manage a great firewall. So communication is a major concern.

The initial setup is okay because you basically have to follow the user interface and configuration. Setup is quite easy to follow as long as you have all these network consents and firewall knowledge, you can do it easily.

When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

We cannot recommend Huawei NGFW to others. For ourselves, we've already made a decision not to buy this product in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Huawei NGFW a six.

NOC Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Excellent technical support and reliable, but priced high

What is our primary use case?

We were using the solution for everything in our network, such as content filtering, IDS, and IPS. However, because of license issues, we had to stop using the solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The stability is good. We had an issue once but there was a patch available we did not know about that fixed the issue.

The solution is scalable but it is difficult because you need to purchase new systems, it is not just one click.

The support for the solution has been excellent. If we ever had an issue they would send an engineer to help us with our problem.

The price of the license of this solution is high.

I have evaluated pfSense.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that want to implement this solution that the cost is high for licenses and if you want to scale the solution you will have additional hardware costs.

We have recently switched to pfSense because of licensing issues.

I rate Huawei NGFW a seven out of ten.

ZelalemGedefie - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Administrator at Debre Markos University
    A containerized data center provides prevention, intrusion detection and antivirus features
    • "We make use of the new data center, specifically the containerized data center which is built and reviewed by Huawei, including all the device's infrastructure."
    • "The solution could be more secure and have better integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for prevention, intrusion detection and its antivirus features.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure and have better integration. The bandwidth management utilization could stand improvement.

I have been using Huawei NGFW for two years.

We used pfSense prior to the solution.

Installation is handled by the provider. When a containerized data center is involved, it's built by the deliverers, who are based in China.

I believe that we are entitled to a one-year extension on our licensing.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based.

There are over 10,000 users using the solution in our organization.

For the moment, I cannot recommend the solution.

I rate Huawei NGFW as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Huawei NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022