IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Google Hangouts OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Hangouts is #6 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. PeerSpot users give Google Hangouts an average rating of 8 out of 10. Google Hangouts is most commonly compared to Blackboard Collaborate: Google Hangouts vs Blackboard Collaborate.
Google Hangouts Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Hangouts Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Google Hangouts?

Hangouts Chat makes it easy for teams to be able to get their work done in one place. From direct messages to group conversations, Chat helps teams collaborate easily and efficiently.

Google Hangouts Video

Google Hangouts Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Hangouts pricing:
  • "This solution is available for free with the opening of a Google account."
  • "We are a small team and a small organization such as ours just uses the free version of Google, so there's no cost associated with Google Hangouts at the moment."
  • "There is an annual subscription to use this solution."
  • Google Hangouts Reviews

PAM Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good, reliable source of communication, but it is not compatible with every device, it's browser-based
    • "Google Hangouts is an excellent tool."
    • "Google will not have two identical chat platforms. Google Chat is always a winner because it is compatible with my device."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Google Hangouts to communicate with one another. We've moved on from Google Hangouts and are now using Google Chat. You will notice that people are getting out of Hangouts. Hangouts will be going to go away. I haven't used Google Hangouts in two months, and I used to use it more than two dozen times a day.

What is most valuable?

It's really good, it works out pretty well. Google Hangouts is an excellent tool.

What needs improvement?

Hangouts will go the way of the Dodo. Google will not have two identical chat platforms. Google Chat is always a winner because it is compatible with my device. Google Hangouts, however, was not. Google Hangouts is a browser-based application.

It's very stable. We have no issues with the stability of Google Hangouts.
    Google Hangouts
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Google Hangouts. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Google Hangouts is very scalable.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of Webex and potentially losing some quality having a good meeting often entails muting everyone except the speaker and then switching from one speaker to another. Because whenever there is an open forum, or there is a larger audience, and I believe the number is usually around 16, your chances of having a know-it-all who has something to say about everything skyrocket. Being able to mute somebody, would be very valuable. Anybody who needs that many people and you need professional services like that, it's time to start paying the subscription and support the product. If they want to have control of the venue, the only way to have control of the venue is with the paid version. It pays for itself. Having a meeting go off the rails is an embarrassment. Webex is probably one of my only 10s, but I am really starting to enjoy Microsoft Teams. It has the features that I need. It's built into Windows. I get it as part of my subscription to Microsoft Office from the company. I have only had one issue where I made a mistake. There's a little rule that you should have. If it's your meeting, it needs to be your meeting, it should be your tool choice. if it's your meeting, you should be the one to schedule it, even if it's very difficult, the project manager with the client wants to host the meeting himself. For example, I had a very interesting little experience, only a few weeks ago, where it was my meeting, but the project manager from the client set up the meeting. I did not know this, but he had me muted. When I was responding to people, it was as if nobody was listening to me. I didn't know what was going on. Then, after about 15, or 20 minutes, the project manager said, "are you going to respond to this?" And I said, "Is anybody listening to me?" I've answered these questions I don't know how many times. One of the people on the call called me up, not even 15, 20 minutes ago, and said, "by the way that meeting you were in yesterday, you were muted." I would recommend if it's your meeting, it's got to be your tool. It's PAM, and PAM Solutions are notoriously politically fraught by those who want to have their environment secured versus those that like things the way they are, and we had one of those. I would recommend using Google Chat. It was nothing out of the ordinary in comparison to others. I would rate Google Hangouts a seven out of ten.

Google
    Testing Center of Excellence - Head at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use and integrates well with Google suite
    • "It is very easy to use and is available as soon as you open a Google account."
    • "I would like to see support for showing virtual backgrounds."

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Hangouts for both chat and online meetings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the seamless integration with Google Suite. For example, in Google Calendar, if you set a meeting then it will automatically prepare the google Meet or Google Hangouts meeting for you.

It gives you the ability to make online presentations, and there is a little-known tool that allows you to use it as a remote desktop.

It is very easy to use and is available as soon as you open a Google account.

The recently added noise-cancellation feature works well.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for showing virtual backgrounds.

A better resolution that is capable of showing hi-resolution videos would be useful.

The capability of transferring files through chat, other than just images and videos, would be useful. There are some workarounds for it, but they are not as robust as the other features. Most other messenger allows you to send files through chat.

I have been using Google Hangouts for several years, since 2012.

I use it every day and the stability is pretty good. It has never quit on me except in the case where my internet connection was down. Basically, if you have a working internet connection then it's up.

I have not tested the scalability, but I have been part of meetings with more than 100 participants. My understanding is that it can handle up to 250 concurrent users in a meeting. For our purposes at work, it has been good.

I have never been in contact with technical support.

I also use Zoom and Microsoft teams, although not as extensively as Hangouts. Zoom allows you to show a virtual background, which is a nice feature. Also, most other messengers support sending generic files through chat, whereas Google Hangout supports sending images and videos only.

One problem with Zoom is that you can only have chats when you're in a video conference, whereas with Hangouts, it's real-time. The chat box is always there. I have never used the chat feature in Microsoft Teams.

I have not explored the integration between Teams and Microsoft Office.

Running Hangouts for the first time is pretty seamless. Once you have a Google account, there is no setup that is needed. You simply log in and it's there.

It was easy to set up on my own.

This solution is available for free with the opening of a Google account.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking to start using Google Hangouts is that it is plug-and-play, and comes free with Google Suite. The minute you have a Google account, it's already there. It is easy to use and works right out of the box.

Having more than 100 people in a meeting is pretty good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Google Hangouts
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CEO at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
    Communication platform with a straightforward setup; designed for virtual meetings, project planning, and project status updates
    • "Communication platform that's effective in project planning, project status communication, and virtual meetings. Setting it up is straightforward."
    • "The stability of Google Hangouts could still be improved. How virtual backgrounds are handled also needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a project-oriented company, and we focus on product design and development, cloud services development, etc. We have multiple virtual meetings daily, both internally and with our clients, so our primary use case for Google Hangouts is for our meetings.

What is most valuable?

The value of Google Hangouts is that it enables us to communicate project status very effectively. It also allows us to plan effectively, and get people all over the world into our virtual meetings.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature I'd like to see in Google Hangouts is more of a personal preference, e.g. it's not a pain point. There may be little differences in the way virtual backgrounds are handled, but it's no big deal.

We've been using Google Hangouts for two years. The company started standardizing the use of the platform at the beginning of the pandemic, e.g. that's when we made the shift to Google Hangouts.

I've seen some stability problems in Google Hangouts, particularly when communicating with developers in Eastern Europe, but that's to be expected given the current situation there.

The initial setup for Google Hangouts was straightforward, and I never experienced any issues with it, but it would still depend on how technical the users are, e.g. the pain points are going to differ.

I evaluated Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

The company I'm working for is a big Google user, so we use Google Hangouts, and we share Google sheets, Google docs, etc. We use different Google solutions for work.

I can't think of any pain points in Google Hangouts that would make me say: "I wish it had this capability, or not." I do so many virtual meetings, and I have to think if it's going to be on Zoom, or if it's going to be on Google Hangouts, e.g. what are we using for this meeting, because we have different clients, so every once in a while, we get called into someone else's meeting, but internally, we use Google Hangouts.

I'm in very much in favor of Dev Ops, e.g. I like to see those updates come, but I have no problems with updates for this platform, because Google is normally doing something, or fixing a problem, or providing an enhancement, etc. The key is I manage when I apply updates, so it's not a problem for me. For some people, it can be a problem, but the updates don't bother me. I managed a Dev Ops environment, so we were putting out updates regularly, so we don't surprise people too often.

I have no information on the pricing of Google Hangouts, because I was not involved in that aspect.

My advice  to others looking into implementing this platform is that we've had good success with it. I have no issues. It's worked for us, and we keep using it. We're not looking at anything else, so that for me, says it all.

I'm giving Google Hangouts a rating of eight out of ten, as I rarely give nines or tens.

Shubham Golghate - PeerSpot reviewer
    Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video conferencing that is of good quality and is easy to use, but scheduling meetings is not part of the package
    • "The most valuable features are that you don't have to create a separate account, it's easy to use, and you don't have to enter an ID or password to start video conferencing."
    • "Google Hangouts restricts you to those with a Gmail account."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are virtual meetings with colleagues and video conferencing with friends.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that you don't have to create a separate account, it's easy to use, and you don't have to enter an ID or password to start video conferencing. This is because it is already in your Google account.

What needs improvement?

Connectivity and voice clarity is good. If I had to rate it out of ten, I would give it an eight. However, there were times when I used Google Hangouts on my phone and the voice quality was bad.

The back button functionality needs to be improved. When you hit the back button, you get out of the meeting. What should happen if you are in a meeting and you press the back button is that you would still be in the meeting but you would be able to see the other available features of your phone or use other apps. With Zoom, you are able to do those things.

They don't have a way to schedule a meeting as you with other solutions. If you compare it to Zoom, in that product you can schedule a meeting and send a link to others. The option it provides is to start a meeting then to invite or add. If you don't know their Gmail address then you can't invite them to join.

Google Hangouts restricts you to those with a Gmail account.

It's not easy to share. If you are with Zoom there is not share or deny, you send a link and they will be able to join you. It's made to be simple.

Once Google Hangouts is launched you are able to start meetings. Your contacts are all listed but only Google Hangouts contacts are available. If someone does not have Google Hangouts then there is no way to invite them to the meetings.

The UI is good, but the transaction needs improvement. The flow from jumping from one screen to another is a bit complicated.

I used Google Hangouts for approximately two months.

I have never contacted technical support.

I stopped using Google Hangouts about a month ago. I now use Zoom or Google Meet for video conferencing. Google Hangouts is complicated and there are many solutions on the market that are more simplified, which is the reason I stopped using it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy and fast. Depending on your internet speed, it only takes a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. They have Google Meets, which does the same as Google Hangouts and it has more features. I would advise them to use Google Meets instead.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud

Nilanjana Dey - PeerSpot reviewer
    Content Marketing Strategist at Niswey
    Has a free version that works well for small-sized teams; technical support is responsive
    • "The technical support team for Google Hangouts has been pretty responsive and could solve whatever challenges arise, within a day or two."
    • "I would like for the platform to have a call recording feature in the free version."

What is our primary use case?

Google Hangouts is being used for virtual meetings, whether that's face to face or you're presenting your screen. There's also a whiteboard where you can brainstorm on the call itself, so that's about it.

What is most valuable?

Whatever features are on offer right now on Google Hangouts, I find all of them useful. I don't have a preference, and Google Hangouts doesn't have time limitations.

What needs improvement?

Google Hangouts is pretty good as it is, so there's nothing I would like to change about it.

I would like for the platform to have a call recording feature in the free version.

Google Hangouts is a stable platform.

Google Hangouts, being a Google product, is available and scalable. The free version works well for small-sized teams that have thirty to forty people, and that's good enough for us.

The technical support team for Google Hangouts has been pretty responsive and could solve whatever challenges arise, within a day or two.

Setting up Google Hangouts is very, very easy. You just open a Gmail account to get access to all the Google tools, including Google Hangouts. It's very easy to just set up a Gmail account, and you don't have to do anything else.

We are a small team and a small organization such as ours just uses the free version of Google, so there's no cost associated with Google Hangouts at the moment.

We evaluated Zoom and Microsoft Teams. We use Google Hangouts, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams, but use Zoom more often compared to the other two platforms.

What other advice do I have?

Sometimes my company uses Google Hangouts, but that's very rare. Typically, the team uses Zoom, and Google Hangouts is used once or twice a month, and that's about it. My company is an end-user, not a partner of Google.

At the moment, there's no plan of increasing the number of users of Google Hangouts.

I would rate Google Hangouts eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the platform to other people.

Google
    Senior Cloud Architect and Team Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable solution that enables communication between peers and has a good history feature, but it's not as feature-rich as the competition
    • "Stable communication tool with a good history feature and very easy installation."
    • "Google Hangouts is not as feature-rich as Slack. Adding more features to this solution would make it better."

What is our primary use case?

Google Hangouts enables communication between peers.

What is most valuable?

I like that Google Hangouts has better history features now.

What needs improvement?

Google Hangouts is not as feature-rich as Slack, but it's sufficient.

I'd like to see more features in this tool in the next release. What they need to do is add more features.

I've been using Google Hangouts for a few years.

Google Hangouts is a stable product. I haven't seen any problems with its stability, so for me, it's stable.

It's hard for me to say if Google Hangouts is scalable, but if we're talking about scalability in terms of users, it allows many, many users.

Installing Google Hangouts was very easy. It comes with the package, e.g. this product comes out-of-the-box to a large extent.

I was able to evaluate Slack and Flowdock.

What other advice do I have?

I have some experience with Zoom, but not so much. We mainly use Google Hangouts, Google Meet, and Slack.

We have several thousand users of Google Hangouts in the company, and we'll probably increase usage for it.

I've never contacted technical support for this product, e.g. currently we have no issues with it.

I'm not recommending Google Hangouts to others. I'm recommending Slack instead.

I'm unsure, but we're probably paying yearly for Google Hangouts.

I'm rating Google Hangouts a seven out of ten.

Andrew Wandera - PeerSpot reviewer
    Legal Associate at Amber Solicitors and Advocates
    User-friendly and reliable with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for meetings. I can meet with people virtually with it.

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly.

The solution scales well.

I have found the product to be stable.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

The security should be improved. They could be better at it. Maybe they should offer more security features.

I've used the solution for five or six years. It's been a while at this point.

The product is stable and reliable. I haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. the performance is good.

The product can scale well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

I'm not sure exactly how many people use it in the organization, however, it is available to everybody.

We did not previously use a different solution previously.

The initial setup was very simple and very straightforward. It was not overly complex or difficult.

To deploy the product, you just have the Gmail account, and then it is in there. It's another functionality on the Gmail G-Suite.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the product a nine out of ten. I've been pretty satisfied with its capabilities overall.

Ben Ndunda - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Support at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    High performance, simple installation, and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

I use Google Hangouts for virtual meetings.

What is most valuable?

Google Hangouts is easy to use and has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by having more integration with different platforms.

I have been using Google Hangouts for a couple of years.

The solution is stable, it has high availability.

I have found Google Hangouts to be scalability is good.

We have 300 users using this solution in my organization.

I have not needed to contact the support.

I have previously used Skype.

The installation was straightforward and did not take very long.

I did the implementation myself.

We have four administrations for the support of the solution.

There is an annual subscription to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Google Hangouts a ten out of ten.

Download our free Google Hangouts Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022