IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Google Firebase OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Firebase is #6 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give Google Firebase an average rating of 8 out of 10. Google Firebase is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure: Google Firebase vs Microsoft Azure. Google Firebase is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 35% of all views.
Google Firebase Buyer's Guide

Download the Google Firebase Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Google Firebase?

Google Firebase is a stable, reliable, and scalable mobile platform that enables you to quickly develop apps, accelerate them, and monitor their performance.

With Google Firebase You Can

• Build and run successful apps
  • Scale globally
  • Monitor app quality and performance with little effort
  • Boost user engagement

• iOS SDK
  • Android SDK
  • Admin SDK

Benefits of Google Firebase:

• Fast implementation: Google Firebase makes it possible for you to set up your authentication system quickly, using minimal code.
  • Comprehensive security: With Google Firebase, your systems remain secured; It is backed by Google Sign-in, Chrome Password Manager, and also Smart Lock.
  • Machine learning capabilities: Firebase offers machine learning capabilities that help you deploy and train custom models.
  • Eliminate the need to manage servers: Because Google Firebase offers cloud functions, it enables you to run your mobile backend code without having to also manage your servers.
  • Authentication for any platform: Google’s Firebase authentication makes the sign-in process easier by providing an end-to-end identity solution that works with any platform.
  • Customized notifications: With cloud messaging, you can customize alerts, defining how and when they are sent, what sounds they should make, and can also select the expiration date for each message. In addition, it gives you the ability to track custom conversion events.
  • Fast and secure web hosting: Firebase makes it possible for you to have easy and secure web hosting with fast content delivery. Firebase hosting also provides free SSL certificates.
  • Cloud storage: With Google Firebase you have access to cloud storage that supports robust uploads and downloads, can handle user-generated content, and provides simple and intuitive access control.
  • Developer-friendly: Developers prefer to use Firebase because it lets them focus on creating frontend code for mobile applications rather than having to concentrate on backend code.

Reviews from Real Users

PeerSpot user Nilakshi S., technical team lead at AuthentiCode says, “The solution is very stable and very reliable. There aren't any bugs or glitches.”

"What I like most about Google Firebase is that it's one of the easier options to host a website or app quickly," says Craig F., application development manager at a financial services firm.

A senior developer at a consultancy says, “The documentation for Google Firebase is great. Also, what I like about it is the integration to Android, which is the reason I went with Firebase.”

Google Firebase Customers

Fabulous, Pic Collage, Shazam, SkyScanner

Google Firebase Video

Archived Google Firebase Reviews (more than two years old)

Handerson Contreras - PeerSpot reviewer
Fullstack software developer with Python and angular at Laureate International Universities
Real-time change triggers and push notifications enhance our product functionality and offering
  • "The Realtime Database feature is the most important for us since we are able to see changes in the database the moment they are happening."
  • "I would like to have a facility for testing possible scenarios by writing dummy data and then doing different queries."

What is our primary use case?

I started using it for web development, taking advantage of the SDK to speed up the development process. Since you do not need to create an API, you can connect to Firebase from JavaScript.

How has it helped my organization?

The product that we sell has a lot of important features, and one is the real-time chat that was only made possible by Firebase. Currently, we are working on a migration from another document database to Firestore, which is the second generation of Firebase. Firestore makes possible more things than Firebase. It is a mix of Datastore and Firebase. We needed a database that provides high consistency and scalability, given the real-time feature. This helped our organization a lot because the process to develop everything was very fast, thanks to its SDK.

What is most valuable?

The Realtime Database feature is the most important for us since we are able to see changes in the database the moment they are happening. So, we built a real-time chat where users are able to talk with each other. Also, the push notifications on smartphones are another important feature that we discovered later, and it made a big impact on our portal. The Firebase functions that act as triggers to let you know when there are changes in the database are very helpful. Another important feature would be the SDK. You do not have to create an API since you are able to query the database directly from JavaScript or any other language.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a facility for testing possible scenarios by writing dummy data and then doing different queries. This would help me to better develop applications.
Google Firebase
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Google Firebase. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Google Firebase for two years.

We have never had problems in the two years that we have been working on this database.

We currently have around 500,000 and the database works very well.

So far, we haven't need to contact customer service. The documentation is clear about how to implement it.

We were using CouchDB and we changed because we needed to use a managed service. The one available on GCP was Firebase.

The initial setup is simple since you only need to create an account on the Firebase website.

We implemented this completely using our internal team.

The monthly cost is based on writing data and queries to the database. The price, I would say, is cheap. You can use this database in the free tier even for production with small applications.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Queries to the database were very simple. However, modeling is a challenge and I recommend running proof of concepts when you want to store something new in the database. Overall, I have to say that this database is great.

Google
AnthonyAbah - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer at WML
Easy to set up with a user-friendly interface and good documentation
  • "The user interface is very good and easy to navigate."
  • "The cold start-up of the cloud function needs to speed up. For me personally, I'm not experienced in anything there, however, I've just read online it's a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution for developing SaaS expert system software. I wanted to host it with Google so users can subscribe and then develop online from anywhere. That way my software can run on their server.

What is most valuable?

The Firebase hosting and the automated authentication service, as well as the cloud functionality, are the solution's most valuable features.

The documentation and guides for implementation are very good.

The user interface is very good and easy to navigate.

The solution is easy to upload and overall easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two months.

I have a lot of confidence in Google because it's a pretty large enterprise and we have been using Google products for a long time. I don't have any fear of failed stability; I have full confidence in their products.

I'm the only one using and testing the solution right now. I'm using it on a daily basis.

I haven't needed technical support and therefore have never contacted them.

I used Jelastic but the pricing was poor. I switched to Google because it is free up to a certain point.

The initial setup is straightforward and very simple. To deploy the solution takes less than an hour.

I simply used the online documentation and step-by-step guide to handle the implementation myself.

The solution is free up to a certain point. You don't have to add your credit card until you exceed the limits allowed.

I did evaluate other options, including Amazon AWS, but I had difficulty. I'd subscribe using my credit card and they'd deduct my money but I would not get any codes to authenticate. After a long time, I was frustrated so I moved to Google.

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest online version of the solution, which is public cloud-based.

I can develop the solution offline if I like. I go offline to develop the solution and then I'll go online again to test because testing online wastes my time. I do the test of my software offline, but when I want to use the cloud to test I'll jump online.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Google Firebase
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jay Panchal - PeerSpot reviewer
R&D Team Lead at Becon
Has fast updates, good performance and realtime chat
  • "The most valuable feature I like is about the realtime. Updates are also very fast."
  • "We use Firebase for media processing and we are growing more. As we grow, the pricing goes high and it's high compared to competitors. The solution is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebase on-premise. Our primary use cases are for push notifications and for realtime chat.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm really happy with the performance and with what it gives us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature I like is that it is in realtime. Updates are also very fast.

What needs improvement?

We use Firebase for media processing and we are growing more. As we grow, the pricing goes up and it's high compared to competitors. The solution is expensive.

In the next release, they should focus more on realtime features.

I have been using Firebase for one year.

It's stable. Stability and the performance are really good.

We have plans to expand it across the organization.

I never had to contact their technical support.

Licensing costs are on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven and a half out of ten. Not a ten because I haven't explored every facet to it. I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

Shawky Foda - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Consultant at Masterworks
Offers flexibility of handling and dealing with the database through EDL
  • "I found the flexibility of handling and dealing with database through EDL to be very useful."
  • "Their technical support needs to be enhanced with more support for customers."

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebase as a proof of concept to introduce Apogee functionality in the future. We need to simulate some scenarios using Apogee as a lesson for API management and Firebase is the backend database we use to simulate custom scenarios regarding the customer needs.

We use the public cloud version.

What is most valuable?

I found the flexibility of handling and dealing with the database through EDL to be very useful.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support needs to be enhanced with more support for customers.

They should also improve the monitoring and control for the database to monitor the performance and fine-tuning of the database itself. Automatic detection of potential errors or failures in the database would also be very helpful. For example, I would like to receive notifications for the admin to take appropriate action for database failures.

I've been using this solution for around two months.

Deployment and maintenance requires two or three people for us.

I think it's a rich community, but they should increase the line support of technical issues and get official support to users or customers for Firebase so they can get their answers quickly. Most questions can be answered from the history of other questions and there is a community for all these questions and answers, which helps newcomers to with deployment and maintenance of the Firebase Database.

I was mainly using Oracle Database, which has different concepts for different scenarios, to some extent. Since it's one year old, it's tough to move to the Firebase Database.

I have had a good experience in both Google and Oracle environments and I also have had good experiences in Google constantly, which is a cloud environment, in which you can build a private cloud environment.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around two or three hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Firebase as eight out of ten.

Marko Adzic - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Private Sector Software Solutions at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Great interface, easy to use, but needs consistent pricing and cost estimation is difficult
  • "The main feature for us is that the tools are all in one place and that you don't need to bother with the backend system and the infrastructure."
  • "There was no way of knowing how the rise in traffic would impact the price."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is the backend for the mobile app.

How has it helped my organization?

We tried to save costs by cutting some unnecessary operational things in the infrastructure and in the backend.

What is most valuable?

The main feature for us is that the tools are all in one place and that you don't have to bother with the backend system and the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

As we were not able to calculate the amount of traffic and the bandwidth, we were not able to calculate the pricing accurately. There was no way of knowing how the rise in traffic would impact the price.

We have been using this solution for three months.

While we used this solution, it was quite stable and it worked. We have had five people trying and working with this platform.

We haven't tested the scalability performance of this platform. We did not do any stress or any other load tests. Although I have not tested this myself, I have read that there are some problems with the scalability.

We did not have a need to contact the technical support.

We are using Mircosoft Azure in parallel with Google Firebase.

The initial setup was easy to install and it is easy to use, very friendly.

We implemented ourselves. We did not use any third party.

It is not easy to calculate the cost per copy, use or if the load rose dramatically we did not know how that would impact the final price.

The pricing for the authentication is based on SMS rates and is not consistent all over the world. For example, the cost in the US and Canada is one cent, but six cents in Serbia and the rest of the world. This should be adjusted.

We did evaluate other options, including AWS, and one more platform based in Python.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product for prototyping, with a nice interface and is easy to work with, but difficult to predict the cost.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Programador at SOAINT
It has security rules to control database read/write operations in real-time

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is the documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

Firebase is awesome and easy to use. It is a database without any schema from the client-side. Additionally, it has security rules to control database read/write operations in real-time.

What is most valuable?

• Information stored in the cloud and readily available everywhere.
  • The big power of their the data host.

What needs improvement?

Firebase uses JSON, and the storage format is very different to that of SQL. This does not allow for easy migrations.

Less than one year.

The support team is responsive and well-informed.

Marcelo Gusmão Gumiero - PeerSpot reviewer
Android Mobile & Software Developer Engineer & TI Manager at Nova Palma Energia Ltda.
We use this technology to build mobile applications and to communicate with our back-end infrastructure.
  • "Allows us to create functions without any infrastructure apart from the Google App Engine."
  • "Google Cloud Functions (which is still a BETA version) needs to have more control over the uploaded functions. That is, it needs more options for controlling the functions itself."

How has it helped my organization?

We already use this technology in our company to build our Android and iOS mobile applications and to communicate with our back-end infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

Google Cloud Functions: Allows us to create functions without any infrastructure apart from the Google App Engine. These functions can have several kinds of triggers:

• Realtime Database Triggers
  • Firebase Authentication Triggers
  • Firebase Analytics Triggers
  • Cloud Storage Triggers
  • Cloud Pub/Sub Triggers
  • HTTP Triggers

Google Cloud Auth: Allows our Android and iOS mobile applications and JavaScript codes to make authentication with almost no effort. The reason is because the Auth has already implemented it for us.

Google Cloud Real-time Database: Allows our Android and iOS mobile applications and JavaScript codes to record and retrieve data with persistence and minimum effort.

What needs improvement?

In my humble opinion, Google Cloud Functions (which is still a BETA version) needs to have more control over the uploaded functions. That is, it needs more options for controlling the functions itself. I might think about some characteristics that can improve a lot this:

- A START button to start the function. This button should be
incorporated in each one of the functions that the developer created and
deployed in Google Cloud Functions;
- A STOP button to stop the function. This button should be incorporated
in each one of the functions that the developer created and
deployed in Google Cloud Functions;
- A RESTART button following the save behavior as above buttons with
RESTART capability.
- A better and improved log view. The actual LOG view has a Slow
performance to show the log items and also it doesn't allow fast searching
for past log items. For example, whenever we need to look for a block of
log items that happened in the past, it's very difficult to access that
block of code.
- Capability to save the log to an external tool.

I did not find any stability issues yet.

Our actual phase in development (MVP), doesn't allow me to give my opinion on this point.

Currently, it has not been necessary to contact technical support, due to the vast and informative documentation with Google Standard.

We tried to use the AWS cloud. They have a very good solution, although the documentation is a little verbose, in my humble opinion.

The setup is very easy and straightforward. You just need to follow the documentation from the Google App Engine.

They have a free tier that will cover most projects. For more intensive use, you pay as you use it, but the price is very cheap.

We evaluated Amazon AWS, but due to the reasons explained above, especially the flowery documentation, we decided to go through Google App Engine and Google Firebase. We have no regrets at all.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that they should go ahead with Google App Engine and Google Firebase.