Fortinet FortiAnalyzer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is the #9 ranked solution in Log Management Software. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiAnalyzer an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is most commonly compared to Wazuh: Fortinet FortiAnalyzer vs Wazuh. Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Fortinet FortiAnalyzer?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is a powerful platform used for log management, analytics, and reporting. The solution is designed to provide organizations with automation, single-pane orchestration, and response for simplified security operations, as well as proactive identification and remediation of risks and complete visibility of the entire attack surface.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Features

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Advanced threat detection capabilities
  • Centralized security analytics
  • End-to-end security posture awareness
  • Integration with FortiGate NGFWs, FortiClient, FortiSandbox, FortiWeb, and FortiMail
  • Incident detection and response
  • Playbook automation
  • Event management
  • Security services
  • Analytics and reporting

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Benefits

There are many l benefits to implementing Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Flexible deployment options
  • Enterprise-grade high availability
  • Security automation to reduce complexity, leveraging REST API, scripts, connectors, and automation stitches
  • Multi-tenancy solution with quota management, leveraging (ADOMs) to separate customer data and manage domains for operational effectiveness and compliance

Reviews from Real Users

Below are some reviews and helpful feedback written by PeerSpot users currently using the Fortinet FortiAnalyzer solution.

PeerSpot user Imad A., Group IT Manager at a manufacturing company, says, “You can monitor all appliances from a centralized location. You have a front dashboard for all our operations and all the logs. If you need to search for anything you can just dig deep into the logs. The solution offers excellent customizable reports. In our case, we needed a monthly report of all internet consumption, and we were able to easily create this.” He goes on to add, “There are pre-defined templates. The logs cover any question or need that we populate within these templates. However, you can also build your own template. There is great analytics that can be used in different departments. For example, our marketing department can go more into media patterns and not just into browsing patterns. Everything is easily visible and can be tracked and studied.”

Luis G., Systems Architect at Zentius, mentions, “Log collection is the most valuable [feature]. The UI looks great. It has a very good look and feel. We don't have the need to use solid state drives. We use mechanic drives, and we don't see any performance issues, so basically, it is doing fine.”

Rupsan S., Technical Presales Engineer at Dristi Tech Pvt.ltd., comments, "The feature that I have found the most valuable is to be able to see everything in our network in a single task. A single menu and the graphical bar charts that it provides to give insights are very useful. It also gives very good metrics on bandwidth utilization, CPU, and device performance. It is very simple and easy to use as well."

Dilip S., Regional Head at Mass Infonet (P) Ltd., explains, “With FortiAnalyzer, you can see what the user is doing and what sites he goes to. You can also see how much quota there is and how much (size-wise) you want to hit, as well as what the incoming or outbound traffic is, and if it is through the ISP or not. Basically, you can see absolutely all activity using FortiAnalyzer. The solution is very complete. The product is very simple to use. It's regularly updated with many versions constantly adding more content and information. The solution has sandboxing, IPS, and DPS as well. The solution allows for a lot of customization.”

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Customers

General Directorate of Information Technology

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Video

Archived Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Reviews (more than two years old)

Luis Gerardo Gonzalez - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Architect at ZENTIUS
Reseller
Great UI, good performance, and never crashes
  • "Log collection is the most valuable. The UI looks great. It has a very good look and feel. We don't have the need to use solid state drives. We use mechanic drives, and we don't see any performance issues, so basically, it is doing fine."
  • "It will be better if behavior or indicators of compromise were on the same licensing schema. Currently, it is an advanced feature that you have to purchase as an add-on. This is the reason we're trying to do the ELK so that we can integrate them and create those rules by using open-source software. It will also be better if it has some more integration with IT service management tools so that we can do endpoint protection and response based on those indicators of compromise or those behavior analysis rules that create events that can automatically flow. We can inject that data into a service incident ticket on our IT service management tool, and that way we can assign the ticket to the proper teams and respond right away. Currently, we only have integration with ServiceNow."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the FortiAnalyzer VM. We sell the license for this solution and also the professional service to have it.

There are different types of business needs of our clients because they're in different business areas. We have firewalls on them. Some of them are on the perimeter network, and some of them are being used as the core network solution. We collect all the logs from their FortiGates.

In some cases, we also use FortiWeb, which is a web application firewall. We also use FortiMail, which is an email protection solution or email security solution. We gather all the logs on FortiAnalyzer, and we try to do some flat counting and identify behavior or do behavior analysis from those logs and see what is interesting. Our team analyzes those events so that we can prevent any disruption of service because of the security, vulnerability, or issue.

What is most valuable?

Log collection is the most valuable. The UI looks great. It has a very good look and feel. We don't have the need to use solid state drives. We use mechanic drives, and we don't see any performance issues, so basically, it is doing fine.

What needs improvement?

It will be better if behavior or indicators of compromise were on the same licensing schema. Currently, it is an advanced feature that you have to purchase as an add-on. This is the reason we're trying to do the ELK so that we can integrate them and create those rules by using open-source software.

It will also be better if it has some more integration with IT service management tools so that we can do endpoint protection and response based on those indicators of compromise or those behavior analysis rules that create events that can automatically flow. We can inject that data into a service incident ticket on our IT service management tool, and that way we can assign the ticket to the proper teams and respond right away. Currently, we only have integration with ServiceNow

I have been using this solution for five years.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have the box or the VM running for more than a couple of years now. We do upgrade so that we can add new features that Fortinet is releasing, but it is pretty stable. It never crashes.

It is a little complex in terms of scalability and mostly because we're using a kind of high-end systems. For scaling, you have to order a different licensing and move more power and computing into a new architecture. It doesn't have that much scalability.

Our clients are SMB or small and medium businesses, but we also have plenty of customers on the campus wide area network.

I would rate them a five out of ten. They will have to move their base locations to a different city. I'm not a native speaker of English, and sometimes, when we're trying, there is a language barrier. They're located in India or some Middle East city. They can do really better. Sometimes their response is not as adequate as other vendors.

It was very straightforward. The deployment could take a couple of days to fine-tune all the rules for log management.

What other advice do I have?

There are plenty of solutions. Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is very helpful if you are really into FortiGate devices. We handle other firewalls, but 80% to 85% of them are Fortinet, so it is a very good solution because it has native integration with everything, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have less than 50% of Fortinet firewalls. If you have agnostic technology, you can integrate all of them into the same solution. FortiAnalyzer is only for FortiGates right now.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a nine out of ten. It just needs more integration with IT service management tools for endpoint detection and response, which is the main objective.

Jr. Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and scalable with robust security and performance
  • "Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature."
  • "We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet. Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it for security. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature.

What needs improvement?

We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet.

Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for three years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. This solution is being used for a government department with a lot of users.

Their technical support is good. We don't have any issues with their support.

In my earlier organization, I have used solutions from CheckPoint and Palo Alto. These are good products, but they are expensive as compared to Fortinet.

The initial setup is very easy.

We got help from Fortinet engineers. We have a tie-up with the Fortinet support team. They install it for us.

We have three people for its deployment and maintenance. We have two network engineers and one technical support engineer.

Its price is okay for us. Fortinet products are cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on the organization. We are using this solution, and we are getting good results.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a ten out of ten. It is the best.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer
December 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Imad Awwad - PeerSpot reviewer
Group IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great dashboard with customizable reporting and excellent logs
  • "There are customizable workflows that you can work with. You can automate certain tasks in FortiAnaylzer in the incidents and events sections."
  • "It's possible that they could add some advanced analytics and some proactive controls for logging analytics. That will help a lot."

What is our primary use case?

The Primary case is to collect & monitor logs & events from all of our firewalls and appliances in one single interface with analysis

How has it helped my organization?

Our work has been more focused and efficient due to the automatic notifications and reports

What is most valuable?

You can monitor all appliances from a centralized location.

For example, if you are searching for an email to find out why it is blocked, you will be able to see the policy that blocked it, which logs were triggered, etc... It gives you all the information you need right there, from the dashboard.

Everything is easily visible and can be tracked and studied.

SOC is very helpful. It shows which IPs are targeting your environments. It shows you the threat levels of all the threats you're facing - including the locations, which policy was triggered et cetera. It will even tell you if the system blocked the threat or not.

FortiAnaylzer is compatible with all of our web browsers.

What needs improvement?

It is a pretty big software package. It has a lot of features which maybe aren't that useful.

It's possible that they could add some advanced analytics and some proactive controls for logging analytics. That will help a lot.

The could be more automation and more artificial intelligence integrated into the solution.

It was a service model application originally. It needs to have some artificial intelligence in dealing with the analysis of the nodes, and not just showing the nodes. I'm one version behind the latest version, so I don't know if they added it yet, however, if they haven't it would be a good thing to put into their roadmap.

I've been using the solution for four years.

My solution is based on VM ova image which is predefined by Fortinet. I don't remember when was the last time I restarted the machine which shows no matter what is the size of logs collected the system doesn't crash.

The scalability is pretty good. It's only limited in the log size. You can buy five gigs or 10 gigs if you need to. It depends on how you're going to handle/store the logs.

That said, it is scalable since you are only billed with the size of logs you are using as per the packages and you don't need to modify the cpu/ram. I have it installed on a VM environment and it's connecting to data all over my sites that are both inside and outside Lebanon.

Technical support is perfect whether from the vendor or from the online support. I'm lucky to have a partner in Lebanon who is a preferred platinum partner with Fortinet. Whenever we open a case with them we always get a clear response. They are professional. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we are getting.

It is very straight forward, the only thing that you might do some customization in the report and the event management. Other than this everything is predefined and based on templates, so you are able to add your touch on the reports as well.

I have implemented it with a vendor who is the leader in our region working with Fortinet Solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortinet end-users.

I was on older versions and now I'm with a newer version. People have faced many issues after downloading the latest update so I tend to keep one update back from the newest one to avoid issues.

I'd advise other potential users that, first of all, if they have Fortinet products in their environment, they should consider FortiAnaylzer. If they don't have it, they shouldn't consider it. They need to have Fortinet appliances.

Secondly, it is a very easy configuration, so companies will not have any problems configuring the FortiAnaylzer. It doesn't require a lot of resources.

We're going to bring a dedicated server for our FortiAnaylzer due to the fact that it is a bit of a predefined virtual machine that we can download from Fortinet's side. If you don't want to go deep in the reports and logs, it can rely on the built-in reporting tools in your appliances.

If you happen to have three Fortinet solutions in your environment then you need to have a FortiAnaylzer as it helps a lot in troubleshooting. It helps a lot with predicting everything that you might see happening on a lot on your network. You will need to have FortiAnaylzer due to the fact that the reporting is not that advanced in the appliances.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more automated and added in some AI elements, I would rate it higher.

System Administrator at a logistics company with 51-200 employees
Offers solid anti-virus protection but isn't so scalable

What is most valuable?

The anti-virus protection it offers our clients is solid.

What needs improvement?

Currently, no solution can offer you 100% protection from viruses such as WannaCry ransomware. Fortinet should strive to improve their prevention systems.

I have been using this solution for about two to three years.

This solution is stable.

FortiAnalyzer does slow down when there is a heavy load of users, but it still does its job. Also, when many logs are generated throughout many sessions, the Analyser slows down.

The technical support is not very reliable. Sometimes it takes them up to a week to get back to us.

The initial setup is not complex. The basic setup takes roughly 30 minutes to one hour — reconfiguration can take up to one day.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Fortinet Firewall, you must implement FortiAnalyzer because, without the Analyzer, you can't generate the polls.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. I would give them a higher rating if they improved their scalability.

Dilip Saraf - PeerSpot reviewer
Regional Head at MASS INFONET (P) LTD.
Review about Fortinet FortiAnalyzer
  • "The solution allows for a lot of customization."
  • "Their in-house technical support is extremely slow to respond. We have our own in-house team to manage issues so clients don't have to wait over two weeks for a response to issues."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily distribute this product to our clients.

What is most valuable?

When you need the reporting on the ISP, you will hand it to FortiAnalyzer. It works amazingly well.

With FortiAnalyzer, you can see what the user is doing and what sites he goes to. You can also see how much quota there is and how much (size-wise) you want to hit, as well as what the incoming or outbound traffic is, and if it is through the ISP or not. Basically, you can see absolutely all activity using FortiAnalyzer.

The solution is very complete.

The product is very simple to use.

The solution has sandboxing, IPS, and DPS as well.

The solution allows for a lot of customization.

Whether it's FortiAnalyzer, FortiManager, FortiGate, FortiIP, and FortiSwitch you can manage everything through a single console. That is the beauty of Fortinet. It's the security fabrics on offer. When you use the security fabrics, harnessing that control on a single dashboard makes everything so easy and manageable.

What needs improvement?

There aren't any features missing. It's very complete.

The solution has some limitations. We use MNC, and it has a US patent. Here we can do this thing but we maybe can't do that thing. They provide some documents to customers, but the customers want remote support to take on and/or finish the work. That's why I have the deployment team in place. It's a team within our team.

We don't really use the solution. We sell the solution to our clients.

We've never had issues with stability. It's excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to scale the solution, they are able to do so very easily.

We have our own technical support offering and have 22 people handling everything from tickets to critical issues. It's L3 support, not L2 or L1.

Fortinet's support, on the other hand, has a slow response time. That's why we handle issues. If you put in a ticket with Fortinet, you may not get a response for 15 or 20 days. Our response time is much quicker.

We deal specifically in Fortinet products. We don't sell other solutions to our clients.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very straightforward.

Deployment is very easy. If you're using multiple gateways you can just connect through a single gateway.

What other advice do I have?

We are an official partner and distributor of Fortinet in Maharashtra and Goa. We have only Fortinet products, and we are the sales stockist and we also offer our services. We have a limited portfolio and handle products such as FortiGate, FortiManager, FortiSwitch, and FortiED as well as FortiAnalyzer.

You can see in the Gartner report, Fortinet remains in the top tier of products, alongside Palo Alto and Check Point. Even Sophos and Sonic Wall aren't as highly ranked as Fortinet.

There isn't much competition locally on the market here. Palo Alto is technically a competitor, however, it lacks a few things that Fortinet already has.

I would definitely recommend the product. In fact, I would recommend the whole Fortinet portfolio to each and every client. Of course, which product would depend on the client requirements. All are excellent.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. Technical support is lacking, however, we have an internal team that can fulfill those needs.

Rafael Riera - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A stable solution that provides information about the state of all firewalls
  • "The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls."
  • "Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment. If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality."

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment.

If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for around one year.

It is very stable.

It is scalable up to the maximum requirement of our customers. Our customers don't require a lot of firewalls, such as 100 or 1,000.

We have contacted their technical support, and there was no problem. In general, we can directly communicate with their technical support and technicians.

I have used products from Palo Alto and Cisco.

The initial setup is not complex. The configuration of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy for basic information. The configuration can be complex if you want to do a lot of reporting.

It is not very expensive when customers understand the value of this product and the importance of the information that it provides for security.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We have some customers who use this product, and I help them with the configuration of the basic features.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is useful for seeing the problems of the network and analyzing what is happening in your network. If you have an attack or some security problem, you can immediately see the information in the logs.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer an eight out of ten.

Rupsan Shrestha - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Presales Engineer at Dristi Tech Pvt.ltd
Provides very good metrics, visibility of the network and does what a network analyzer should do
  • "The feature that I have found the most valuable is to be able to see everything in our network in a single task. A single menu and the graphical bar charts that it provides to give insights are very useful. It also gives very good metrics on bandwidth utilization, CPU, and device performance. It is very simple and easy to use as well."
  • "They can include integration with devices, such as firewalls, endpoints, from other vendors. They can include graphic monitoring of everything in the network, not just Fortinet products. It would also be good to include customizable reports and customizable views of the reports."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, Fortinet FortiAnalyzer gives you visibility around the network. You can track and monitor devices and pick the surrounding network. You can see which packets are being sent to the network, who the users are, and what are they using. You can also view the policies and firewall rules that are being used, the IDs that are being connected to, and the IP address a particular user is using.

Basically, it's a SOC. It's a security operations device. We use it for continuous monitoring, and it takes a team to do so. In my organization, three to four people are using it on a daily basis.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is to be able to see everything in our network in a single task. A single menu and the graphical bar charts that it provides to give insights are very useful.

It also gives very good metrics on bandwidth utilization, CPU, and device performance. It is very simple and easy to use as well.

What needs improvement?

They can include integration with devices, such as firewalls, endpoints, from other vendors. They can include graphic monitoring of everything in the network, not just Fortinet products.

It would also be good to include customizable reports and customizable views of the reports.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for about five to eight months. We are using the latest version. We have deployed it on-premises as a VM.

It's pretty stable.

I'd say that it's very scalable. Scalability depends on which version of the appliance you're using.

If you're using a hardware-based appliance, it's obviously tough to scale as that would require purchasing new devices. If you go to cloud services or virtual services, it's pretty easy to scale. You need to purchase new VMs and add the IOCs that you need, which is easy.

I have contacted technical support, but not particularly regarding Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. I have only contacted them for firewalls and routing issues. I have not yet contacted them for things related to Fortinet FortiAnalyzer.

It's very easy and straightforward. You just need the point the FortiGate devices to your Fortinet FortiAnalyzer, and it just automatically configures the security fabric. The time depends on how many devices you're actually using. Configuring one device into your Fortinet FortiAnalyzer takes about five minutes or so.

The deployment was pretty straightforward. I didn't need any help in setting it up. I did it myself very easily. It comes with useful guidelines for setting it up. They also provide documentation and information through their website.

One person can easily do the deployment, but the main goal of the solution is to continue to monitor the regular network traffic for which a team is required. Our software team is responsible for handling such things.

This product is only dedicated to packet analyzing, automation, and things like that. I have not used analyzers of other vendors. However, other solutions do provide similar functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

It is kind of a very good network packet analyzer solution. It does what a network analyzer should do, and it does it very well.

In terms of firewalls and using network analyzers, Fortinet has always been the leader among the leaders. Fortinet provides very good features and products. Specifically, if you want to use Fortinet FortiAnalyzer, you need to have a FortiGate environment. You need at least one FortiGate or other similar product in your network. So, if you are already using or are into Fortinet products, then FortiAnalyzer is a very good product to add on top of other products. Having only FortiAnalyzer in your network is kind of useless.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a nine out of ten. It's a very good product.

AlesCiber - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT System Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Log management that is scalable, easy to use, and priced well
  • "The interface is simple and easy to navigate."
  • "One of the main disadvantages is not having a direct link to the security policy when you see something in the log."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to manage services for our customers. We use it for log management.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy. For customers with basic knowledge, and for those who do not have a technical background, Fortinet is quite good and it should be the first choice.

The interface is simple and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

One of the main disadvantages is not having a direct link to the security policy when you see something in the log. You should be able to right-click and go directly to the security policy. When you compare with Checkpoint, they are very good with reporting and logging, and when you right-click on the log you can go to the policy and edit it.

In the next release, I would like to have a feature added where you can right-click and it takes you directly to the policy to edit it.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for four years.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is stable.

This is solution is very scalable.

I don't have any issues with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. Everything with Fortinet is straightforward.

When comparing with other solutions such as Checkpoint and Cisco, Fortinet is priced well.

What other advice do I have?

I am an expert in Juniper and Fortinet at a professional level.

Previously in another company, we were service providers, and I did the implementation for service delivery cargo, and for an enterprise company, I did the firewall migration.

I would recommend Fortinet FortiAnalyzer.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Baherathan Kathirgamanathan - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager - Cloud Planning and Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very good log analysis and reporting with a straightforward deployment
  • "The log analysis and reporting are both quite good."
  • "The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic."

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. Our clients use the solution for log management.

We are using physical and virtual end ware. We have a physical and logical virtual environment for using this platform, which we provide to our customers.

What is most valuable?

We are utilizing the previous site end dividers and the IPS, IDS DDoS features.

The log analysis and reporting are both quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't have online analysis. We can't analyze certain parts of the logs. For example, we can't analyze current logs.

It would be helpful if we could use the system we use to monitor everything to also check the live traffic or live logs.

The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

The solution is stable. We've never faced issues.

The solution does not scale easily. It's a hardware solution. We have FortiAnalyzer hardware, and since it has a hardware agent on the storage ware, it requires Forti capacity for analyzing purposes. There's only a finite amount of space in the hardware itself. It isn't infinite.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and we've been very satisfied at the level of support we've received so far.

The initial setup varies from company to company. Some are straightforward, some are complex.

Deployment is a simple task. FortiAnalyzer comes with the hardware version and a virtual agent. We just deploy and integrate it with the other Fortinet products.

There is a lot of competition for Fortinet in this area, including USM and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

We are Fortinet partners.

For those organizations that need to use a product for reporting or some analysis of logs, this is a good solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The features are basic, and there's not too much business intelligence behind them. If it offered more of that, I'd rate it higher.

PrideChieza - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at Frampol
Offers visibility of critical data in real-time for our clients, but the reports are over-summarized
  • "The most valuable features are customizing reports, and the ability to drill down to display critical information in real-time."
  • "The reports are good, but they are over-summarized."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for reporting. We also use it to keep logs for our clients that require logs with a history of more than seven days.

In addition to our own firewalls, we have several clients with firewalls that report into the same FortiAnalyzer.

We have a private cloud deployment, set up on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are customizing reports, and the ability to drill down to display critical information in real-time. FortiGate itself, for example, doesn't offer all of this information on the entry-level firewalls. You can get more detailed information from FortiAnalyzer based on the log that is retrieved from FortiGate while it is operating.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to do more customization. For example, I would like to be able to develop my own set of reports that I can upload to the analyzer, and then it can report in a fashionable way as to what I really expect, rather than the ones that are preconfigured. Then we can play around with them in terms of where you can position your top bandwidth users, and such.

The reports are good, but they are over-summarized.

We have been using this solution for four years.

The device has been pretty much stable. We haven't really had issues with it in the time that we've been using it.

The licensing limits the storage in terms of how much information it can store. For example, you can collect seven gigs of log files in a day.

We have twenty firewalls connecting to FortiAnalyzer. We are moving some of them to the FortiCloud platform because we get thirty days of reporting on a non-subscription basis with FortiCloud. With FortiAnalyzer, we would have to pay for more licenses.

At this stage, we do not plan to increase usage. The majority of our clients who have entry-level firewalls are now depending on FortiCloud. It is more robust than us having more of the FortiAnalyzer devices. Because FortiCloud is accessible from anywhere, a client can easily manage it, rather than us giving them access to the Fortianalyzer. So, we're finding FortiCloud being a better option than us having an on-site FortiAnalyzer.

When I speak with Fortinet technical support it is usually in regards to FortiGate. I would rate their support team an eight out of ten. Sometimes, what happens is that we open a webchat with them where you don't have to open a ticket. The problem is that you may end up dealing with the level-one support who doesn't really give you the answer, so they then refer you to open a ticket. This delay can be a problem when you have a client that needs an issue resolved right then and there.

We have not used any other solutions for log analysis.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward. We have a few FortiGate firewalls, and they communicate with FortiAnalyzer over the public networks by sending their logs.

The deployment was not difficult and did not take much time. It is just the initial configuration on FortiAnalyzer, which takes no more than ten minutes. Then, the analyzer will be synchronized with FortiGate. It is just a matter of entering the FortiAnalyzer IP address, then allowing it to register. In total, it takes about twenty minutes.

There are three administrators for this solution, and I handle the maintenance myself.

We handled the deployment ourselves. The documentation from Fortinet is pretty straightforward.

The pricing of this solution is fair, and it is based on what you can manage. There are no costs in addition to the licensing fees.

We tried NetFlow Analyzer, and the product was good but it was highly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This solution, at every stage, does what I expect it to.

My advice for anybody researching this solution is to consider the size of their organization. If it is very big and they need to retain a log for a specific number of days or a period of time, for example, going back to thirty days and they also need to analyze the traffic in real-time, then FortiAnalyzer would be ideal. However, the same service is now available on FortiCloud, which is something else that I highly recommend.

With other solutions, such as NetFlow Analyzer, you can really customize your report to what you expect. Together you can insert logs, you can customize your reports with the logs that you're receiving, unlike with FortiAnalyzer. This is a major drawback.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Dharmarajen Palanee - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical lead at Rogers Capital Technology Services Ltd
Reseller
Offers customized reports but their support needs improvement
  • "The program is stable and it gives me great visibility."
  • "The technical support is not very good."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to deep-dive and get deep visibility analyzing of logs and proxy of the network. In other words, to get good customized reports.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows us to see what our users do on their computers. Some way they work all day long, but then we see that they have been surfing on net, using YouTube, streaming or looking at Facebook. It is therefore a very handy program.

What is most valuable?

I am very impressed by the new version's security - on-premise or on the cloud. We have integrated the program with FortiView to get a better-customized log and more scalability on the application. The newer version is also much faster than the previous one and we have more visibility on whatever is happening on our system.

What needs improvement?

Reporting wasn't very good in the previous version, but I believe it has greatly improved. The newer version has more features and the quality of reporting is better too.

I would also like to see an improvement in the rebooting.

I've been using this solution for about 13 years now.

The stability of the solution is good - better than the previous version. Even the hardware had changed from DCVs to some STVs so now the hardware and software are more powerful compared to the previous version. We are now able to do 14-hour functionality. The program is disabled on the FortiManager by default, but we can enable it via the console in order to get the same visibility on the FortiAnalyzer.

The scalability of the program is good and we are hoping to increase our usage. I would like to see new features and better functionality, though. For the scalability of the FortiAnalyzer, we need to take into consideration the time it will take to load 30 users instead of only 14. So maybe we would perhaps need an upgrade license for FortiAnalyzer deployment in that case.

The technical support isn't very good, I rate it a 2 out of 5. I don't really rely on their support because in the past I had some issues and the support team could not help me.

The initial setup was really straightforward. The duration of the deployment depends on the requirements of the customer and the kind of reports they want to get. It can be customized to the client's specifications. Some only use it for visibility while others want to get detailed reports. If the requirements are complex, it will take around two days. Otherwise, it will take a few hours. It is very easy to deploy the FortiAnalyzer.

This program is quite expensive. We have to renew the hardware every year and the hardware is very expensive. And we need to renew the licensing for application control too.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a 6 out of 10. It is a good security firmware for automation. From a single dashboard we can get all the logs and traffic information on our firewall. We can get more visibility, so there is no need for the engineer to go in each and every firewall to get information.

Even if we don't use the FortiAnalyzer, we can use a FortiCloud to send a log. But we are still using a cloud-based solution. We are using our internet bandwidth to send logs. That's in real-time or scheduling. If bandwidth is the key factor, I will not recommend the customer to use a FortiCloud. And even if you are using the FortiCloud, the basic free version, you have a retention log for only seven days. If you want to have a longer retention log, let's say for one year, then you need to create a subscription with FortiGate. In that case, it is better to have a FortiAnalyzer on-premise. Always try to listen to your customer.

it_user494214 - PeerSpot reviewer
System & Network Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Gives us a simplified and user-friendly interface to work with
  • "It has a simplified and user-friendly interface."
  • "When it comes to pushing logs to a SIEM, most of the time we have some issues when it comes to filtering."

What is our primary use case?

We use the analyzer for reporting, to know what exactly is happening on the network. We use it to see which accesses are granted, which accesses are denied, which sites are visited, which botnets are coming in, which viruses, etc.

The solution is on-premise. Most of the time we set it up on the client's premises, depending on their needs. The cloud is there for testing.

What is most valuable?

It has a simplified and user-friendly interface.

What needs improvement?

With FortiAnalyzer, most of the time, although the interface is simplified, when you are new to it you have issues of navigating through it.

And when it comes to pushing logs to a SIEM, most of the time we have some issues when it comes to filtering.

Also, reports need to be simplified because its reporting currently includes more detailed and technical things. If we could get a simplified or executive summary, that would be good.

We have been using this solution for about four or five years.

It's very stable, unlike the previous version which, when the logs were huge, would crash and we would have to reset it and start all over again.

The scalability is also fine if you do your prerequisites right. If so, you won't have any issues. But if you don't do your scoping right, and more logs come into the system - more than it can handle - you will face issues. You need to do your scoping right to get it to be stable and scalable.

Technical support is kind of slow. When you have 24/7 support, the response is quick. But when you send something in, it takes a long time to get a response. Fortinet support is a little bit slow when using their portal for support.

In our case, because we are partners, we have a couple of tech guys we can call to get support done. When an end-user requests support through the portal, and even when we do, it takes hours to get a response.

We work with multiple solutions and Fortinet has been the number-one.

For me, the initial setup was straightforward. The deployment takes approximately ten minutes. In some cases we could be waiting for results, waiting for logs to get up to do some analysis.

The price is quite expensive. Fortinet products are very expensive. That is something which they should also look at, because if you compare Fortinet product to, say, Sophos for example, Fortinet is really high and that's the only thing which is a drawback for most users. Although their plan is a value-for-money appliance, the price is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone who asks me about a Fortinet product, I'll give that person a thumbs-up. So far, Fortinet has been the best for me. It's a value-for-money appliance, it has an easy to use interface, and it gives you exactly what you want. The only drawback would be the price.

Network & Security Administrator at Diamond Bank Plc
Simple solution that can is good for log collection but it should be more efficient
  • "It is a simple and solution."
  • "I'm looking for something more efficient to analyze different foreign things. That's why FortiSIEM could compete with FortiAnalyzer."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

My primary use case for this solution is for log collection. I have a lot of FortiGates that I have to collect logs from, so I primarily use it for log collection. We plan to deploy a SIEM and we want to try to see how to integrate all the solutions to our SIEM. We are processing for PCI data specifications. We have to respond to PCI requirements, so that's why we are making some changes and acquiring some new security solutions to deploy. Among them, we have FortiSIEM and other security solutions like antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is a simple and solution. I can structuralize all my FortiGate logs but it's not so good from the administrative side. I have FortiGate in four countries and I am responsible for securing Fortinet. I also have to manage FortiGate in other countries, not just my own. If I have to go through each FortiGate it's going to be a little bit complicated. FortiAnalyzer is a good product; but, I keep thinking that FortiAnalyzer isn't really what I'm looking for which is why I am looking to acquire a SIEM solution. It will give me more log collection possibilities.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution in this company for three months.

I haven't had to contact their technical support yet.

The initial setup is not that complex. I didn't do the initial configuration, it was already set up, I'm only managing it right now. If we're talking about the integration side, like how to integrate FortiGate in FortiAnalyzer, I don't think it's complex. That's why they are known as one of the leaders in security.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to somebody considering it.

The relevance of this solution will depend on the case. If you are considering this solution I would ask what you really intend to accomplish with it and what model you want. It's going to be based on the data you need to protect and analyze.

If I had to choose between FortiSIEM and FortiAnalyzer for log position it's better to go for SIEM. We all know that we can do a lot more with SIEM than just a log collection. Log collection is included in FortiSIEM; so, why acquire FortiAnalyzer is you can have FortiSIEM?

I would rate FortiAnalyzer a 6.5 out of ten.

Information Security Specialist at Ministry of Heritage and Culture
Good network protection and web filtering capabilities with responsive technical support
  • "The IBS (Intent Based Segmentation) and application web filtering are the most valuable aspects of the solution."
  • "The solution could use more graphics and be more specific in the dashboard. This way, I'm able to understand everything and effectively understand what's going on, including what's incoming and outgoing. Right now, I have to look up everything. I need a dashboard so that I can see specific items right there in one place."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to protect the network and to control how the users access and use the internet.

What is most valuable?

The IBS (Intent Based Segmentation) and application web filtering are the most valuable aspects of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive.

The solution could use more graphics and be more specific in the dashboard. This way, I'm able to understand everything and effectively understand what's going on, including what's incoming and outgoing. Right now, I have to look up everything. I need a dashboard so that I can see specific items right there in one place.

I've been using the solution for three years.

We have 600 users and do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is good. We've talked with them a few times. We have third-party support here in Oman.

I didn't previously use another solution.

A third party vendor assisted us with the implementation.

We have around 12 devices and yearly we spend approximately $14,000.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. I don't have much to compare it to, but it's been fairly good.

Head of Service at MPM
Has a useful dashboard and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for bandwidth. We are very satisfied with this program.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most useful is the handy dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the technical support. Stronger authentication will also be a plus.

In the next version, I would like to have authentication for 40 tokens.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for a month now on private cloud.

We have between 20 and 25 users and we plan to increase this number, so I believe the program is scalable.

We are very satisfied with the customer service.

The initial setup was straightforward and deployment took us about eight months. The reason for this is that we installed other programs during this time too, like Fireworks Data Center, Switch Data Center, Cisco Nexus Data Center, and Forcepoint. We use Stitch as our local manager.

All Fortinet programs come at a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution to others. My rating is a ten out of ten.

H+Erbs Molefi - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Useful reports assist with identifying and optimizing bandwidth usage
  • "We use this functionality every day, and obtain reports on things like how many people are using the VPN, which websites are being accessed, and whether hackers are trying to penetrate into our network."
  • "When somebody is new to the system they find it difficult to perform certain operations, like backups, and to see where the reports are."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mainly used for reporting. We collect data from the FortiGate and analyze it with this appliance.

We have a physical device that is deployed on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has allowed us to identify which applications are consuming the most bandwidth. We can also see the times at which bandwidth is most utilized. This has allowed us to manage our bandwidth and blend better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reporting. We use this functionality every day, and obtain reports on things like how many people are using the VPN, which websites are being accessed, and whether hackers are trying to penetrate into our network.

What needs improvement?

Every time there is a firmware upgrade the interface changes, and you'll have to maneuver that interface to see how to use it.

When somebody is new to the system they find it difficult to perform certain operations, like backups, and to see where the reports are. A more user-friendly interface would be an improvement.

I would like to see support for analyzing the wireless site, without going through the controller. For example, I would like to see a report on the full data including the APs that were up or down, and whether something has been upgraded.

This is the first year that we are using this solution.

FortiAnalyzer is a good product that is stable. It is used on a daily basis.

My understanding from the literature is that you can connect up to two FortiGate devices, or firewalls. Right now I have two 900D firewalls connected in the same network.

We have approximately twenty-five hundred users, including students and staff. There are six people who manage this solution. At this time, the current solution is enough and we do not need to increase its usage.

Technical support for this solution is powerful and good.

We have a support contract and Fortinet handles the maintenance of this solution. If we face any problem we can just contact them and they will help. For example, last month we were not able to get a report from the FortiGate, and they managed to help us by formatting the disk on FortiAnalyzer. Now, we are able to get the report that we want.

We did not have another analyzer solution prior to this one.

I struggled a little bit with the initial setup because it was a new concept to me. I looked at some videos on YouTube, as well as the Fortinet website.

We had another company perform the actual deployment for us, but we had to provide input to guide them on how to set it up for us. They were very professional and very good.

We started with the 800C, then, later on, we moved to the 900D. The same company handled both deployments and they did a great job.

The deployment took less than a week. There was fine-tuning that had to be done on a regular basis until we got the reports that we wanted from it.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis. We have several products including Fortinet Wireless, FortiGate Firewalls, and FortiAnalyzer, which are bundled together and cost approximately $50,000 USD annually. We don't pay anything else in addition to the standard licensing fees.

A company implemented a POC for us, and after that, we found that this could be a good product for our purposes.

What other advice do I have?

FortiAnalyzer is a good product, and anybody who implements this solution will get good results from it. The support from Fortinet is awesome.

Consultor de Seguridad at Netrix, LLC (X956)
MSP
It supports SQL for logging and reporting
  • "It supports SQL for logging and reporting. Log data is inserted into the SQL database for log view and report generation."
  • "It is very important that FAZ can support FortiController as the architecture designed for the network. FortiController should be registered in FAZ at least for event logs."

What is our primary use case?

It receives logs from the FortiGate 5000 Series (about 12 FortiGate blades), and it was configured for keep logs for about 1,050 days. The logs are divided by archive (raw logs) and analytics (logs indexed in a database).

The use case is primarily for getting graphical data to make quick decisions.

How has it helped my organization?

FAZ has improved the organization because it stores events in the past so we can correlate incidents using another monitor tools; the problem is that it can´t recognize logs from FortiController blades, not even specifying it as a syslog device so this is a big lack. Devices from another brand are compatible only as syslog devices if they support.

What is most valuable?

Another feature is the custom reports, where you can obtain a chart builder from a log view: traffic, event, or security log.

What needs improvement?

No issues at all. It is a reliable product.

The problems come when you are using different OS versions between FortiGate and FortiAnalyzer.

No scalability issues. You should know how many logs per second or minute are generated in your network to avoid issues with scalability.

The technical support with Fortinet has risen considerably. Now, they respond in three to four hours instead of two days.

We did not use a previous solution.

The FAZ includes a wizard, which is very simple to follow during the initial setup.

We implemented it in-house. We have had some experience implementing FAZ.

I do not have this value yet.

The cost and pricing should be in accordance with the calculation of log storage capacity for a time period required for historical analysis.

We did not look at any other options, because Fortinet was elected for use by the end user.

What other advice do I have?

My only experience is with a very important customer, the most recognized in Latin America.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Grupo CEPRA, a channel for Fortinet sales.
it_user818136 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Associate Consultant - Network at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It gives us reporting features, which are helpful in the case of troubleshooting and audit purposes. It should have straightforward customized reports.

What is our primary use case?

This product is only used for logs and reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It has detailed reporting, e.g., user-wise reporting, threat analysis, etc. It also gives you live logs, which can be really helpful during troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

It should have customized reports as well. While it currently has them, you need to write a script which is not straightforward.

No issues.

No issues.

I would rate it as a two out of 10. The technical support takes at least two days to reply on any ticket post raised on their website.

We did not have a previous solution.

Initial setup is straightforward, and it has an easy setup.

It depends upon the company.

We evaluated SonicWall and Cisco.

it_user691644 - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Developer with 201-500 employees
SSD is helpful in generating customized reports

How has it helped my organization?

It generate reports from a specific date or interval.

What is most valuable?

• Storage in SSD, to generate customized reports
  • Event management

What needs improvement?

• Operation and maintenance
  • High-availability architecture
  • Management link embedded in the transmission link

Yes. The combination between FortiAnalyzer and FortiGate 5000 Series with millions of concurrent sessions is high-risk because it can interrupt the operation of the network.

The FortiAnalyzer is not scalable.

Tech support is very poor and slow.

Straightforward.

The hardware cost and services contract are fair.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it for networks that have the FortiGate platform as a security gateway or for enterprises with employees who are on the road a lot.

it_user798012 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can examine the logs of multiple Firewalls on a single GUI

What is our primary use case?

The product is really helpful in examining the logs of multiple firewalls on a single GUI.

What is most valuable?

Log View is the most valuable part for us, as we can view logs from different Fortigates on a single GUI.

Another important feature is real-time logs, they help a lot in troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

I think some improvement is required in real-time log monitoring, as sometimes it gets stuck or displays results after a delay.

No issues yet.

No issues after installing the 1000E.

Good.

We used view local logs before this.

It's straightforward, just add in different FortiGuards the IP address of FortiAnalyzer.

It's worth spending on FortiAnalyzer if you have multiple firewalls in your network.

it_user369339 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project manager at IRIDIS Group
Our company uses a virtual infrastructure. Implementing this product supplements the protection of our infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The key functions for us are the next-gen firewall and network analytics. To ensure the best protection, we need to constantly analyze the situation in the network, as well as internal and external threats, as well as actual AV protection. The Fortinet products and FortiGuard services give us all of this.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The current version of the product is easy to use. Based on my experience, I can't recommend any areas of improvement. It's important, however, to know what you want prior to implementation. Otherwise, it may not meet your future needs based on the initial configurations.

We've used it for about four months.

During installation, we had no problems with deployment.

We have had no problems with stability.

We have had no problems with scalability.

The level of local customer service was very good. Per our request, tested the product. We got all answers to our questions from technical support. I rate both of them highly.

We used Wallix AdminBastion together with it.

The initial setup was straightforward.

A successful implementation for this product depends on how clearly the customer understands what they have and what they need in the future. In most cases, the customer turns out to be unsatisfied when it's unclear that they knew what they wanted prior to implementation. My main recommendation is to implement it together with the vendor, writing down the tasks, solutions, and the expected result before you begin.

I think Fortinet has a balanced offering of prices and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet's strategy is based on the dividing the product line depending on functionality. This allows customers to choose only the necessary feature set for them.

The Fortinet product line is wide – you can choose from SOHO to Enterprise, and from hardware to virtual solution. The presence of a free client (Win/Android/OS X) provides protection for client workstations. Each customer will be able to find the most suitable solution for them.

The balanced policy product line and licensing allows customers to choose only the necessary feature set for them. Also you can easily migrate from other vendors using single tools for conversion. Another tool helps you plan the placement of Wi-Fi points in the building. Also, it's very important that equipment has international and national certification such as PCI, DSS, etc. Presentation of products for SDN (Software-defined Networks including SDDC - Software-defined Data Center) confirms the company's leading position in the market.

Alireza Ghahrood - PeerSpot reviewer
Alireza GhahroodConsultant & Instructor -Cyber Security,GovernanceRIskCompliance (CISO as a Services) at Independent
Top 10Real User

I think Fortinet has a balanced offering of prices and licenses.

%50 %50

it_user275226 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Director with 501-1,000 employees
I'm able to see each IP separately, including user name and other stats, but the admin UX needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Real time reports
  • Reports on who tried to attack
  • FortiGate monitor

How has it helped my organization?

Before using FortiAnalyzer, people would surf wherever and we could not monitor or see which computer in the company goes where. Everyone had the same IP. Now, using the analyzer, I am able to see each IP separately, including user name and other stats. One time the police called and told me someone from the company was breaking the law and I was able to monitor the specific computer.

What needs improvement?

They should learn from CheckPoint how to design UX for admins.

No issues encountered.

It's very stable.

I've not used them yet.

I've not used them yet.

We previously used a previous solution.

It was straightforward.

We did it in-house.

It's a great ROI for the price.

Only get it if you need it.

Download our free Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022