We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Fortify Application Defender OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortify Application Defender is #19 ranked solution in application security tools. PeerSpot users give Fortify Application Defender an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortify Application Defender is most commonly compared to SonarQube: Fortify Application Defender vs SonarQube. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Fortify Application Defender?

Micro Focus Security Fortify Application Defender is a runtime application self-protection (RASP) solution that helps you manage and mitigate risk from homegrown or third-party applications. It provides centralized visibility into application use and abuse while protecting from software vulnerability exploits and other violations in real time.

Fortify Application Defender was previously known as HPE Fortify Application Defender, Micro Focus Fortify Application Defender.

Download the Application Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Fortify Application Defender Customers

ServiceMaster, Saltworks, SAP

Fortify Application Defender Video

Archived Fortify Application Defender Reviews (more than two years old)

Solution Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
Helped us to improve the code quality of our organization
  • "The solution helped us to improve the code quality of our organization."
  • "The solution is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for static code analysis. We do static code analysis on our application project code and we use the solution to check the product quality.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helped us to improve the code quality of our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive.

There could be little improvements made in the solution's performance, reporting, management, interface, dashboard, etc.

Their level of support could also be better.  They should be more qualified and quicker to respond, for example.

It would be beneficial if the dashboard integrated with JIRA.

I've been using the solution for a few months.

The solution is very stable. We find it pretty robust.

We used it for more than 70-80 products for doing standard code analysis and the scalability was pretty good. We didn't see any performance issues.

Technical support is pretty helpful.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You need less than three people to maintain the solution after implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the private cloud deployment model.

If you need a huge impact, a business impact, then I think I would recommend HP Fortify. However, if a user is looking for a small scale application with less business impact, I would go with a free solution.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. Aside from the cost, the application is pretty good.

Principle Engineer at MTSI
Its ability to find security defects is valuable. However, support for older compilers/IDEs is lacking
  • "Its ability to find security defects is valuable."
  • "Support for older compilers/IDEs is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Used for multiple environments, compilers, and operating systems, including Altera, Xilinx, Linux, Windows, and cross-compiler environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a good product when support for environments is included. It finds several items and is also good at not reporting false positives.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to find security defects is valuable. The elimination of security defects is my top priority. Of secondary importance is finding coding defects.

What needs improvement?

Support for older compilers/IDEs is lacking. Many developers are still using environments that are known for having security issues. For example, Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and older, gcc 1.x, etc. are still being used. However, we cannot analyze a project using these older compilers because they are no longer supported by Fortify. If I can't find security issues injected by the development environment because I'm forced to use a newer compiler, then I cannot make recommendations to use an updated compiler. This is a particularly thorny issue wherein development environments of mission critical systems do not change and yet we need to recommend usage of newer development environments.

More than five years.
Product Categories
Application Security
Download our free Application Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Micro Focus, SonarSource, Synopsys, and more!