IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

F5 BIG-IQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IQ is #14 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give F5 BIG-IQ an average rating of 6 out of 10. F5 BIG-IQ is most commonly compared to ServiceNow Orchestration: F5 BIG-IQ vs ServiceNow Orchestration. F5 BIG-IQ is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is F5 BIG-IQ?

F5® BIG-IQ® Centralized Management provides a unified point of visibility and control for the entire F5 portfolio, ensuring administrators remain aware on the pulse of F5 devices, modules, and licenses and enabling them to deliver optimal application availability, performance, and security.

BIG-IQ manages policies,licenses, SSL certificates, BIG-IP images, and configurations for F5 appliances and for the following BIG-IP moduals across hardware and virtual editions:

• BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager™ (LTM)
  • F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall™ (WAF)
  • BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager™ (AFM)
  • F5 SSL Orchestrator®
  • F5 DDoS Hybrid Defender®
  • BIG-IP Access Policy Manager® (APM)
  • F5 Secure Web Gateway Services
  • BIG-IP DNS
F5 BIG-IQ Video

Archived F5 BIG-IQ Reviews (more than two years old)

Presales Consultant - Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good centralized management and reporting, but better VAS integration is needed
  • "The reporting feature is quite good."
  • "Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. BIG-IQ is a centralized management system for F5 appliances. For customers with multiple data centers or a lot of F5 appliances, it helps to manage their environment. With a centralized solution, it is easier to complete tasks like software upgrades and performing backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized management. The reporting feature is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on.

I have been using BIG-IQ for close to one year.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, ServiceNow, IBM and others in Process Automation. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

My understanding is that the latest release is quite stable.

In this product, scalability is related to the number of devices. It is really good and it can scale up to 30 instances. The majority of our customers are medium-sized companies and enterprise-level organizations.

I have not had contact with technical support because I haven't had to raise any tickets.

Prior to BIG-IQ, F5 had a similar product called Enterprise Manager. It went end-of-life and was replaced with BIG-IQ. The reporting, integration, and certificate server have all been improved.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the use case. If the customer is only installing the LTM and the APM then it will not take long. If, however, there are multiple modules involved then it may take longer. This is because it takes time for the configurations to be loaded, especially for the VAS platforms and the policies.

Licensing fees are based on the number of devices.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I would recommend it but they need better integration with VAS. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Loi Phan - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Team Leader at Vietinbank
Helpful load balancing and WAF features, and the technical support is good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancing and WAF.

What needs improvement?

I had trouble with high availability deployment in my environment. I had searched for solutions online but have not been able to determine the root of the problem. Ultimately, I contacted F5 support to resolve the issue.

I would like to see the Advanced Web Application Firewall included with this solution.

I have been using F5 BIG-IQ for about three years.

At the moment, this solution is stable.

The F5 solution scales very easily. If we have more boxes then we can just join them to the cluster.

The support team has good knowledge and attitude when working with me to solve my issues. I prefer the support team in Vietnam because they have more personnel and I think that it is better.

It took approximately three months to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

June 2022
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Almaamoon Chwak - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Engineer at marafaa
Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS save work for us
  • "Features like AFM, the gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us."
  • "The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition, when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases we're trying to implement together all access to their DMV and to deploy and add data to their data center. They were already using Citrix, but they wanted to replace it. I don't know why, but I think they already had contact with the F5 team.

What is most valuable?

Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us.

What needs improvement?

The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy.

The GUI tries to be professional to work with. It's not designed for an amateur or someone that is just trying to get into the ADC world, network, or application delivery services.

We have been using this solution in-house for three months. Before that, I was studying BIG-IP and BIG-IQ. When we are already designed for a specific customer, then we have to implement it.

The stability of this solution is great.

In our current situation, we're not scaling anything, but in the future, as I know from my friend in the technical background at F5, we might look into scaling up.

The number of users depends if you look at our company size or the professional services from the F5 team. From my side, there would be two members. For remote, it would be two or three.

Their technical support is perfect. They were so supportive. The guys are great and they would do anything for you.

That's the problem, it's Linux. If you want to go to the config management at first, then you have to know the Linux command in order to have an IP configuration for your interfaces. After that, you'll have to manage it on the web. The initial configuration has to be on Linux, though. It was complex for me to set up BIG-IQ because I was coming in from a Windows background, not Linux.

The deployment time would be about two hours.

What other advice do I have?

First, call F5 support before trying to implement it by yourself. That's what I tried to do and there were a bunch of problems, so I would call their support first.

I would give this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior System Engineer with 201-500 employees
Flexible and secure with good technical support
  • "We use this solution on a daily basis, and it is very stable."
  • "There are a lot of scripts available on the internet for people who know how to use them, but with a graphical interface, it would be easier for new users."

What is our primary use case?

At my previous job, I worked with a service provider in Qatar. We used F5 as a load balancer for the service to the customers. We also used it to secure their websites and email. At my current company, we use this solution and implement it for our customers as well.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

If they had a GUI interface for creating security rules then it would make it easier. As it is now, to create an application rule for the web, or policy, then we need to create a script to do it. There are a lot of scripts available on the internet for people who know how to use them, but with a graphical interface, it would be easier for new users.

I would like to see the Debian feature installed, without having it in a separate box.

I have worked with this solution for almost five years.

We use this solution on a daily basis, and it is very stable. The only time we have had trouble is during an upgrade.

Scalability depends on the version you decide to buy. For us, we have a mixed service and we installed the medium-sized version. We knew how much traffic they would have. We have now been using the same box for about four and a half years, and it is fine.

We have nineteen customers who use this solution, and some of them have one thousand or two thousand users. Some of their users are employees, while others are their own clients.

The F5 technical support is very good, and in Qatar, they are very experienced and very supportive.

We have customers who have switched from Barracuda, as well as customers who have switched from Microsoft Forefront TSM.

The initial setup of this solution is not complicated, although migrating the service is. Our customer was using Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) prior to F5, and making the transition was difficult. We had to make sure that all of the rules were correct. I think that the migration was more complicated than the initial setup.

We perform the integration of this solution on our own. We do, however, use the professional service from F5 at times. We used them to migrate service for two of our customers, and we do the remaining customers ourselves.

We had planned to use Barracuda, but we found that this solution is more flexible as a service.

What other advice do I have?

F5 is a leader in this space and this is a solution that I recommend. For anybody considering this solution, if they have virtualization then I would suggest getting the F5 Big-IQ Virtual Edition, rather than the physical one. It will make it easier to install and troubleshoot.

I don't know any solution on the market that is better than this one, but I do think that they need to make some enhancements.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
The scalability is excellent. It scales up and down, and has virtualization as well.
  • "Scalability: To move from larger boxes to smaller boxes, along with virtualization. So, we are not locked into a particular size."

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily around internet-facing web application security. It works very well.

We needed the product due to increased risk through security exposures.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't think it has improved my organizational functions.

There is a lot less risk involved in having applications available on the Internet.

What is most valuable?

Scalability: To move from larger boxes to smaller boxes, along with virtualization. So, we are not locked into a particular size.

More than five years.

The reliability is excellent.

The scalability is excellent. It can move configurations between environments. It scales up and down, and has virtualization as well.

The technical support is very good. We have had to use them only on a small number of occasions.

It was already in place when I joined.

I would like the product to be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

They are working to make the product more feature-rich all the time. Look for capabilities and features, not just price. The one thing that we found was that the F5 device does multiple aspects as opposed to having to put in different things to different devices for different functions. This made sense to us that we could do all our functions out of the same device. We didn't have to buy different devices for different functions.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Support
    • Availability
    • Reliability.
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: F5 partner.
    Download our free Process Automation Report and find out what your peers are saying about F5, ServiceNow, IBM, and more!
    Updated: June 2022