Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

F5 BIG-IQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IQ is #16 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. PeerSpot users give F5 BIG-IQ an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. F5 BIG-IQ is most commonly compared to ServiceNow Orchestration: F5 BIG-IQ vs ServiceNow Orchestration. F5 BIG-IQ is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Process Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is F5 BIG-IQ?

F5® BIG-IQ® Centralized Management provides a unified point of visibility and control for the entire F5 portfolio, ensuring administrators remain aware on the pulse of F5 devices, modules, and licenses and enabling them to deliver optimal application availability, performance, and security.

BIG-IQ manages policies,licenses, SSL certificates, BIG-IP images, and configurations for F5 appliances and for the following BIG-IP moduals across hardware and virtual editions:

• BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager™ (LTM)
  • F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall™ (WAF)
  • BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager™ (AFM)
  • F5 SSL Orchestrator®
  • F5 DDoS Hybrid Defender®
  • BIG-IP Access Policy Manager® (APM)
  • F5 Secure Web Gateway Services
  • BIG-IP DNS
F5 BIG-IQ Video

F5 BIG-IQ Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IQ pricing:
"There is only one licensing fee for F5 BIG-IQ and everything is included in the price."

F5 BIG-IQ Reviews

Almaamoon Chwak - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Engineer at marafaa
Easy to manage, saves time and offers good technical support
  • "The GUI is fine, at least from an engineer's perspective."
  • "They could use YAML or JSON if they wanted to make it a little bit easier for us."

What is our primary use case?

BIG-IQ is just a controller for the appliances of BIG-IP. That's our main use case.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves you a lot of work and time. With this solution, any person can manage all of the appliances at once.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

It's great at saving time if you have a lot of appliances and you want to show a configuration of all of them at once. It's a great tool for managing your control of all of your BIG-IP appliances.

It's great for engineers or users that have a solid background in networking and protocols. If they know how everything works within the IT industry or deal with security it's easy for them to use.

The GUI is fine, at least from an engineer's perspective.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution is quite good, for how I use it.

The user interface could be a bit better.

The compatibility with the Hyper-V from Microsoft for cloud deployments could be improved.

You do need to have a good and solid background or foundation for networking and you need to understand how to configure F5 appliances in order to properly use it. It's not for a novice user.

I think they need to work with their automation within BIG-IQ or the BIG-IP. Almost everything has automation.

Process Automation
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about F5, ServiceNow, IBM and others in Process Automation. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I only have a little bit of experience with the solution. I've been using it for about one year.

The stability is great. The solution is very reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't glitches.

The scalability is great. I love F5. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so relatively easily, especially if they are using a Viprion appliance.

There's only two to four of us on the solution that have admin rights. We may expand in the future

So far, we've been satisfied with technical support. They are quite responsive and knowledgable. We haven't had a problem with them at all.

I used to use Cisco. I really liked it. Now, I prefer F5. Both are excellent solutions. They're in the top tier for sure.

Each one of them has its own functionality. Cisco has switches, routers, et cetera, from its products. F5, is mainly known as a load balancer for applications, for data centers, et cetera. They're hard to compare as the kind-of move in different spaces, however, they're both great.

I've had some issues with the virtual deployment, or cloud deployment, for BIG-IQ. The compatibility with the Hyper-V from Microsoft is not very good.

When you are trying to implement a new VM, if you have already purchased BIG-IP from the website and you're trying to deploy it in the cloud (or you have a hypervisor), it's not so smooth to deal in terms of the interface. This is also true for Citrix servers. The only one that's worked perfectly for us was the VMware and virtual machine.

I don't really deal with pricing. That's more on the product manager. They handle product licensing. I don't have any idea how much the solution costs.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the finest in the industry.

New users considering the solution need to understand that they need to have a solid background in networking and a few security verticals in order to successfully work with the solution. Without that, they won't be able to do anything with it beyond a basic integration. If you want to move to more advanced functionality, then you have to do programming. If you were going to implement it into a company that has a lot of web servers, you need to be familiar with APIs, JSON, JavaScript, et cetera.

Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. It's pretty great, and I love working with it, however, no solution is a perfect ten out of ten.

Surya Kant Pasayat - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Network Engineering at AppViewX
Lacking automation platforms, complex initial implementation, but great support

What is our primary use case?

F5 BIG-IQ can be deployed on-premise and in the cloud.

We are using F5 BIG-IQ to see the statistics of the site devices.

What needs improvement?

F5 BIG-IQ should improve by being a complete certificate management solution because currently, it is only for Venafi. Other automation platforms, should be added.

F5 BIG-IQ only manages F5, it will not work in multi-vendor environments. For example, if you used RV, there is an additional cost of buying their controllers.

I have been using F5 BIG-IQ for approximately 10 years.

The stability of F5 BIG-IQ should improve. If you add a lot of operations running, such as telemetry, which can be enabled, the CPU utilization is on the high side.

F5 BIG-IQ has always provided us with great support.

F5 BIG-IQ's initial setup was complex. The time it takes for the process depends, but typically it takes approximately eight hours.

We did the implementation in-house. We only require one person for maintenance for F5 BIG-IQ.

There is only one licensing fee for F5 BIG-IQ and everything is included in the price.

What other advice do I have?

I rate F5 BIG-IQ a five out of ten.