We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

F5 BIG-IP DNS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IP DNS is #7 ranked solution in top Domain Name System (DNS) Security tools. PeerSpot users give F5 BIG-IP DNS an average rating of 8 out of 10. F5 BIG-IP DNS is most commonly compared to Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection: F5 BIG-IP DNS vs Infoblox Advanced DNS Protection. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is F5 BIG-IP DNS?

F5® BIG-IP® DNS distributes DNS and user application requests based on business policies, data center and cloud service conditions, user location, and application performance. BIG-IP DNS is commonly configured as a full proxy to provide global server load balancing (GSLB) for applications and DNS across architectures, and across the globe.

The BIG-IP platform delivers DNS services with visibility, reporting, and analysis; scales and secures DNS responses geographically to survive increased traffic or threats; delivers a real-time DNSSEC solution; designed to provide availability of global applications in all cloud environments.

F5 BIG-IP DNS was previously known as F5 BIG-IP DNS, F5 DNS Delivery.

Download the Domain Name System (DNS) Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

F5 BIG-IP DNS Customers

Ricacorp Properties, Bangladesh Post Office, Shawbrook Bank, Shinsegae Internet Duty Free

F5 BIG-IP DNS Video

F5 BIG-IP DNS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP DNS pricing:
  • "This product is quite pricey but if you compare the feature set and its compatibility with similar products on the market, you would understand why it's that price."
  • "Cost is a factor. It is really costly."
  • F5 BIG-IP DNS Reviews

Effort Moyo
    Technical Services Manager at ProComm technologies
    Good support, highly scalable, and compliments business continuity plans
    • "F5 technical support is quite good and they follow up if there are any issues."
    • "I would like to see deeper integration with VMware in the sense that F5 compliments VMware, in the context of application availability."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and F5 DNS Delivery is one of the products that we implement for our customers. This product is normally deployed for high application availability. That means we use the local traffic manager module the most. The DNS module is used for global server load-balancing and fail-over across data centers.

What needs improvement?

The messaging between NGINX and F5 should be simplified. When I do presentations to customers, they sometimes are confused about this issue. It is not clear where NGINX gets into the network.

I would like to see deeper integration with VMware in the sense that F5 compliments VMware, in the context of application availability. VMware has the Site Recovery Manager that looks at the virtual machine side of things. If there's deep integration with VMware, where F5 is able to figure out that an application is impaired and it wants to failover, it should be able to tell VMware to trigger that process.

Better pricing for this product would make it more competitive on the market.

We have been using F5 DNS Delivery for three years.

This product is highly scalable, especially given the fact that you are not confined to one particular port speed. You can upgrade as your traffic grows using different transceivers.

We have customers in several countries. In Botswana, we have between 27 and 35 clients. In Zimbabwe, we have close to 60, and in Zambia, there are fewer than 15.

F5 technical support is quite good and they follow up if there are any issues. F5 support is available even before the deployment, right from the pre-sales stage to the deployment itself, as well as after-sales support.

I have also worked with Kemp load balancers and they don't even come close to F5.

The initial setup is straightforward. Once I have all of the information required in order to deploy, it takes one day to complete.

For my customers, I am deploying the current version, which is 16. For others, we haven't upgraded them. I'm simply patching the areas necessarily as identified by F5.

We are the system integrator and handle the deployment for our customers.

This product is quite pricey but if you compare the feature set and its compatibility with similar products on the market, you would understand why it's that price. Licensing is either perpetual or subscription-based, depending on the modules that you want.

What other advice do I have?

We're doing a campaign now to question our customers about business resilience using the F5 product. Most customers have invested in business continuity but sometimes they find that what they have done doesn't conform to their own business continuity plans. We go into this type of environment and introduce F5 to ensure that their continuity plans are on point.

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it. That said, no product is perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sr. Technical Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Secure, easy to administer, and the speed of operations is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is DNS security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are DNS security and the speed of operations. It is easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Pricing could be reduced. Scalability is a concern, it could be improved.

I have been working with F5 DNS Delivery for approximately two and a half years. We are working with version 13.

It's a very stable device.

It is not highly scalable because it's an appliance. Scalability is a concern, and it needs improvement. Most of the people in our company are using this solution.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is DNS security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are DNS security and the speed of operations.

It is easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Pricing could be reduced.

Scalability is a concern, it could be improved.

We are working with version 13.

It's a very stable device.

It is not highly scalable because it's an appliance.

Scalability is a concern, and it needs improvement.

Most of the people in our company are using this solution.

Technical support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to set up.

We have a group of 15 administrators to maintain this solution.

Cost is a factor. It is really costly.

Price is an area that can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, I would recommend using this solution.

Download our free Domain Name System (DNS) Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about F5, Infoblox, Cisco, and more!