Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Eaton UPS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Eaton UPS is #1 ranked solution in top Data Center Power Solutions. PeerSpot users give Eaton UPS an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Eaton UPS is most commonly compared to Schneider Electric-APC Smart-UPS VT: Eaton UPS vs Schneider Electric-APC Smart-UPS VT. Eaton UPS is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 18% of all views.
Eaton UPS Buyer's Guide

Download the Eaton UPS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Eaton UPS?

Eaton UPS is a power management provider that delivers a comprehensive portfolio of uninterruptible power supply, backup power, power distribution, and power management solutions, which protect you from a host of threats, including power outages, surges, and lightning strikes. Eaton’s offerings are designed to deliver superior flexibility, maximum efficiency, and unprecedented reliability for network closets, server rooms, and data centers of all sizes.

Eaton UPS Key Features

Eaton’s power quality portfolio encompasses a comprehensive offering of power management solutions all from a single-source provider.

• Complete backup solution: Protect against all nine power problems: power failures, power sags, power surges, under-voltage, electrical line noise, over-voltage, frequency variation, switching transients, and harmonic distortion. Minimize the risk for component stress, burned circuit boards, data crashes, and program failures.

• LCD display: LCD interface for viewing current UPS status, feature adjustments, alarm settings, and servicing lockouts.

• Central monitoring and event management: Monitor your entire system using Eaton’s web-based dashboard from a single screen to see a real-time picture of power quality and energy usage. From the dashboard you can set up and manage alarms and system events.

• Comprehensive reporting: Eaton’s reporting feature allows you to see past individual measurements, trend graphs, and events. It analyzes the complex data from multiple sites and automatically consolidates the information into simple graphical reports.

• Ethernet connectivity: Connect your Eaton UPS directly to your Ethernet network and to the internet and monitor it from your desktop without installing any additional software.

Reviews from Real Users

Eaton UPS stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Several major ones are its extensive monitoring and reporting tools, its scalability, and that it is a stable and very reliable product.

Brad G., a technical services manager at a government company, notes, “The fact that they're reliable and that they notify us whenever the line power drops are the only things we really need. All our UPS's have been available and up whenever power outages have happened. So far, the battery life, from my observation, seems better than average. It was one of the features that Eaton had described to us. They have a certain way of charging the batteries and keeping them charged so that they actually last longer.”

Juno C., a radiation oncologist at East Oregon Cancer Center, writes, "The battery life seems to be pretty good. I don't have a lot of experience with other units of its size, but it does a good job of keeping our unit up. There is no active power management. It just keeps the power up. We haven't had any power failures that are long enough to completely drain the battery. It's been good for small power failures. In addition, I can access the built-in webpage on the UPS and use that to look at the status. It's on all the time and monitoring. It gives us an email once a month telling us that our device is working properly. It will also list the power events that happened in that month."

Eaton UPS was previously known as Eaton Powerware, Powerware 9300 Series.

Eaton UPS Customers

Gamatronic

Eaton UPS Video

Eaton UPS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Eaton UPS pricing:
"I have mixed feelings about the pricing and licensing. I believe that when you sell a UPS, and considering the UPS is a lifeline to a lot of the major corporations, the monitoring solution should be part of the package automatically, out-the-door. If you have to raise that price on the UPS an extra $5,000, then do so at that moment. Don't have that as an extra offer after the UPS has been sold. I believe that all UPSs need to have high availability, all the latest software installed, and be ready to go out-the-door."

Eaton UPS Reviews

Information Technology Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
The different layers of redundancy provide reliability and business continuity
  • "Our Eaton UPSs help with business continuity. I have a reliable system in place that I know that I can trust."
  • "The external monitoring solution could use further enhancements. I'm thinking of business continuity. If an internal legacy monitoring solution goes down, and it has no one to connect to the outside world, then it can't send out an alert. How are we going to be able to determine that there is a problem with that UPS if it loses network connectivity?"

What is our primary use case?

Eaton has a lot of reputable years in the data center industry, giving out UPSs to massive data centers. We really rely on these units to ensure that we have no power interruptions. They have a proven track record. Personally, I use them because we have experienced a lot of close calls, where Eaton UPSs saved my infrastructure from any type of downtime.

We have a monitoring software that I am not very familiar with, which just landed on my lap recently. All the global offices for our corporate data center (300-plus locations), a lot of these closets have PDUs in them. I do know some of them are Eaton products, but the majority of them are different.

In my world, we use a little bit of everything. We have our PD UPSs, which are our uninterrupted power supply units. We have the UPS internally to the data center as well as PDUs, so we have UPSes in a lot of our server cabinets.

We have our bigger unit, a 300kVA unit, which is a lot bigger and not a rack-mountable unit. These are standalone frames. If we went into a smaller UPS design, I would consider having a rack-mountable UPS. However, the way certain of my data centers are designed, it has made more sense to have a frame UPS in place, as opposed to a rack-mountable UPS.

How has it helped my organization?

Considering the drastic changes our data center has taken in the past five years, Eaton has been able to accommodate a lot of our needs, e.g., remote monitoring.

My team knows how to respond to the actual monitors. If they get an alert, and it is a critical one, they automatically place a call in immediately with our vendor. Obviously, they notify us.

I believe that every industry today should put a remote monitoring solution in place. You need to have a business continuity backup plan, as opposed to having onsite people. I believe remote monitoring is going to be the way of the future for a lot of data centers.

What is most valuable?

The redundancy aspect is the most valuable feature. Within the UPS itself, Eaton UPS has different critical layers of redundancy, e.g., everything from battery banks down to controllers inside a UPS. It also has a default mechanism of an internal bypass in case something goes wrong with the actual UPS itself. The way I like to describe it the best is business continuity.

The solution’s footprint is excellent. It is the reason why I keep on choosing Eaton. It has great products and solutions. Eaton prepares us for the future state of our data centers. They come out with impressive, new technologies that we rely on to make sure that there are no blips in all our data center infrastructure. So, we have a clean source of energy into all our internal systems.

I use the internal legacy monitoring that we currently have set up on all our UPSs. We found the internal remote monitoring is very effective. We do have internal teams at our corporate data centers, which are staffed 24/7, who look at these monitors.

What needs improvement?

The external monitoring solution could use further enhancements. I'm thinking of business continuity. If an internal legacy monitoring solution goes down, and it has no one to connect to the outside world, then it can't send out an alert. How are we going to be able to determine that there is a problem with that UPS if it loses network connectivity?

Cellular hotspots will be a big topic in the coming years.

Eaton UPS
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Eaton UPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Eaton UPSs as long as I have been in my career: 23 years.

I use the vendor service plan. The reason why I go this route: They built the systems, thus they are very familiar with the systems. I am in an industry where I cannot have margin for error. I would much rather pick the vendor who made and knows the product like the palm of their hands.

We have had onsite service. Eaton services all our current UPSs. For some of my UPSs, they do hire qualified third-party vendors, but Eaton does maintain them. Their response time has been phenomenal. I did have a couple of very close calls. Their engineers were onsite immediately. They actually beat the required SLA that we had signed in the contract for remediating any type of issue that we have had. I have been very impressed with Eaton's response time.

On the first visit, they assess. A lot of times, parts need to be ordered. It can take X amount of time for parts to arrive onsite, depending on the type of issue. I have had different issues over the years. For the most part, all my problems have been minor. For the big problems that I've had, they remediated those within a two-day period. During that time frame, I had no outages due to the UPSs that I had in place.

We did a UPS replacement, putting a newer UPS in a production data center. We did this without an outage, which we take a lot of pride in.

UPSs replacements are actually very complex. There is a lot of planning involved. It took almost six months to get it right.

There was a lot of planning involved for our implementation strategy. When you are replacing a single UPS unit, which is the heart of your production data centers, you have to make sure it is planned right. You have to make sure that it is on the money. There were a lot of high blood pressures during that period of time.

I was a part of our initial setup. I was in the design factor of this.

While you are planning this, your number one thing is to minimize any type of risk that will happen during this whole upgrade transition. Remember, you are ripping out an old UPS with the new UPS, so downtime is critical during this period of time. I am a director for our global enterprise so I need to have a game plan ready and in place. Because if something goes south during this period of time, we have to make sure that we declare an emergency status to rebuild all our systems up from scratch. If that is not enough stress, I don't know what else is.

I needed to have my electricians involved in order to make this project successful. When you have a live UPS, and you're in a transition of upgrading them, you need to surround yourself with multiple team members to make that project successful, one of them is your electrician.

The UPS that we currently have in one of our production data centers has reduced our cooling costs by at least 30%. This is because of the way that the air vent flows are actually located in the internal plan.

What other advice do I have?

The power density will always vary depending on the models that you choose. We always like to have a 50% ratio density. We always look at a future for growth. Most of our UPSs were designed with future capacity and growth in mind.

Even the modular solutions out there today, compared to UPSs, they can be predesigned or prefabricated to feed one's needs. For example, in my data center I have X amount of kilowatts. You measure the right size UPS to put in place to ensure that it is picking up the load wherever it is designed to be at. Modular solutions do the same thing, just a little differently, but they still have the same capacity in line as the UPSs.

The solution's heat dissipation capabilities allow it to be located near equipment racks. As we know today, network monitoring is not 100%. You can have an internal failure on one of your switches where you lose monitoring to a UPS. Then, it will not send out alerts and nobody will know there is a problem with it. These modular cellular devices, or even hotspots, are critical to monitoring solutions because that is an extra layer of protection where it will still send out an alert, regardless if you had an internal network hardware malfunction.

I rely on Eaton for any future enhancements or software upgrades.

I would rate this solution as a nine (out of 10). In my world, there is always room for improvement.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller
Brad Gonzalez - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Services Manager at a government with 201-500 employees
Leaderboard
Reliable solution, available and notifying us whenever power outages have happened
  • "The fact that they're reliable and that they notify us whenever the line power drops are the only things we really need. All of our UPS's have been available and up whenever power outages have happened."
  • "When it comes to the power management software portion, that's the part that I haven't really seen or heard a lot about. The dashboards of the UPS's, or the management software, are one area that they could probably improve a little."

What is our primary use case?

We use Eaton UPS's in a variety of our data centers and for emergency operations in our city.

What we were looking for wasn't necessarily to address challenges we were facing but for something that would reliably supply backup power to us, when needed, at an affordable price.

We have one big UPS at each of our locations. The 9PX is at our Public Works, while at the Police Department we have a 9170, which is a large three-phase UPS. At City Hall we have another large UPS. At each location we have a solution that will give us runtime during a total power outage, of anywhere from 30 minutes to six hours.

For the desktops and remote switches, we have a lot of the 1000s and 1500s.

What is most valuable?

There isn't any one particular feature that is most valuable. The fact that they're reliable and that they notify us whenever the line power drops are the only things we really need. All of our UPS's have been available and up whenever power outages have happened.

So far, the battery life, from my observation, seems better than average. It was one of the features that Eaton had described to us. They have a certain way of charging the batteries and keeping them charged so that they actually last longer.

What needs improvement?

The Eaton products themselves, and the sales and support, are excellent. However, when it comes to the power management software portion, that's the part that I haven't really seen or heard a lot about. The dashboards of the UPS's, or the management software, are one area that they could probably improve a little.

We have been using Eaton UPS's for close to five years. It was five years ago when we first got connected with Jim Nimi who introduced us to them. We tried out a couple of them before we switched one of our older UPS's out to the large Eaton 9PX.

So far, when it comes to performance and reliability, we've had virtually zero problems with the products. From our perspective, they've just been up and running and we haven't heard from them. They've supplied us with power when needed. So it's a win-win for us.

It grows with our needs. Almost all of the systems that we looked at had pretty robust scalability, and Eaton's sales staff were always very forward-thinking when recommending the replacement units.

We plan to increase usage of Eaton UPS's. We have two more large batteries that need to be replaced in the city. We will be working on one of them this fall, and the other in the spring.

I've only had to call their support twice and they have been excellent. They routed me to the correct person right away and they took care of my issues.

We had some aging units throughout the city. Some of them were 15-plus years old, and it was a matter of starting to replace them one at a time. About 80 percent of our units are now from Eaton. We've slowly converted almost the entire city to Eaton.

The purchasing experience and delivery were all excellent. They were very straightforward and easy to do. The actual installation was a little more complex.

The installation was a little bit different from the purchasing and delivery stages, only because I hadn't ever really been involved in replacing a UPS before. It seemed more cumbersome than I thought it would be. However, I didn't really have anything to compare it to. The difficulty seemed to come from having to hire a contractor to do the electrical work and prep, and then have him plug it in and set it up. Then, a person from Eaton had to actually come out and turn it on. That was the unusual part for me. I would have assumed that an Eaton person would have installed it and plugged it in. I'm not sure that reflects badly on Eaton. It's just the way things are done, but it was new to me.

In terms of our staff involved with the units, two technical services managers were the main ones who worked with Eaton, when spec'ing out the batteries.

I'm not so sure about a return on our investment. We got an affordable, decent price and we've gotten a good product out of it. But UPS's just sit there until they're needed. When line power has gone out, they've been there every time for us.

Before we chose Eaton, we evaluated other vendors, but we try to standardize. For us, it doesn't make sense to have two or three UPS vendors. Before we started replacing the old ones, we looked at APC and a couple of the other UPS vendors, along with Eaton. We thought that, for the overall product, Eaton supplied the best and we standardized on them.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the price and availability, as well as the long-term durability of the batteries on the Eaton side. That's what they did for us.

Eaton UPS
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Juno Choe - PeerSpot reviewer
Radiation Oncologist at East Oregon Cancer Center
Provides more uptime for our Linear Accelerator, resulting in better patient care
  • "The battery life seems to be pretty good. I don't have a lot of experience with other units of its size, but it does a good job of keeping our unit up."
  • "I think the batteries are based on lead-acid technology so they have to be replaced every five years, but with the new lithium-ion battery technology that is available, it might be good if, at some point, they updated their battery technology."

What is our primary use case?

We have unstable power in our area and we have a medical device called a Linear Accelerator that we use to deliver radiation to patients. The unstable power was disrupting our operations and the UPS has helped us out with that.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important aspect is the fact that it protects the power to the Linear Accelerator. It also cleans the power a little bit and, as a result, I believe our equipment has become more reliable.

It has been working and has allowed us to have more uptime.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think the batteries are based on lead-acid technology so they have to be replaced every five years, but with the new lithium-ion battery technology that is available, it might be good if, at some point, they updated their battery technology.

We have been using Eaton PredictPulse for one year.

It seems to be pretty stable.

The technical support is pretty good. In general, I've been able to get somebody on the phone. There was one time that I wrote an email that didn't get a response. Overall, it has been okay. It's not five-star service, but I've generally been able to get somebody on the line.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

It was installed in a day, but it took a while for it to be delivered. We had to hire somebody to bring it into the room where it was going to be installed, and then we had to bring in electricians. The setup itself was relatively straightforward. The hands-on time was pretty quick, but in terms of logistics, it took several weeks. At the end, somebody came from Eaton to turn it on.

We bought it indirectly through Elekta, which is the manufacturer of our Linear Accelerator, so the buying process was reasonable. Elekta purchased it for us. We paid Elekta and Elekta paid Eaton.

Elekta did the project management. The implementation was a little bit rough. We didn't fully understand what was needed, but that wasn't Eaton's fault.

We don't do anything to maintain it. It's pretty self-sufficient. The initial deployment required two people on our side, but that was just for one day.

It's not like we have any additional revenue as a result of using the UPS but it does improve our reliability. There is a positive impact in terms of patient care, although it doesn't necessarily translate into additional dollars. We were having issues with our Linear Accelerator that have been stabilized. More uptime means we're providing better patient care.

Elekta recommended this UPS and they set it up. We didn't really shop around because this was their solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good device.

Vancho Tolomanosi - PeerSpot reviewer
Founder at IRONCLAD CYBER SECURITY
Reseller
Easy to scale, reliable, and has excellent support, but the software could be improved
  • "The technology is reliable."
  • "They could enhance their software, but overall, it's a good solution."

What is our primary use case?

Eaton UPSs are primarily used in corporate data centers. It's the UPS before the generator starts.

What is most valuable?

We like the easy-to-read display screen and the web configuration where you can manage the unit.

The technology is reliable.

We haven't had any issues with it. We've been very happy with the units.

What needs improvement?

They could enhance their software, but overall, it's a good solution.

We have several versions of Eaton UPS deployed.

Eaton UPS is a stable product.

It is scalable. You can purchase units with a larger battery supply, which will give you more downtime. You can coordinate that and figure out how much battery time you need based on your risk level and the configuration of your generators.

The technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

It is deployed and the units are maintained by an Eaton Professional,

On our end, there is very little interaction from the end-user.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have anything negative to say about this solution.

In the time that we have had it, it has been an excellent product that's very reliable. We haven't had any problems with it.

The support is really good. They offer quarterly support calls, which are very helpful.

It only does one thing, it gives you the power and all the information you need. There are not many features on there. It includes a power management feature.

I don't see any features that will help me more than what is already there.

I would rate Eaton UPS a seven out of ten.