DigitalOcean OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

DigitalOcean is the #10 ranked solution in top Infrastructure as a Service Clouds. PeerSpot users give DigitalOcean an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. DigitalOcean is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS: DigitalOcean vs Amazon AWS. DigitalOcean is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is DigitalOcean?
DigitalOcean has the fastest and most convenient cloud technology to help you easily and more efficiently manage your infrastructure so you can get back to coding. We provide all of our users with high-performance SSD Hard Drives, a flexible API, and the ability to select the nearest data center location.

DigitalOcean was previously known as Digital Ocean.

DigitalOcean Customers
jQuery Foundation, Pertino, TaskRabbit, Compose, InfluxDB, The Able Few
DigitalOcean Video

Archived DigitalOcean Reviews (more than two years old)

Head Of Application Technology at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Has a good system but it should have better security and customer support
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "I think something needs to be done in terms of technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We use this program for reliability and support. We have several solutions, enterprise solutions, which we deploy for our clients. So we manage the deployment, management of the service and everything for it to run or keep it up and running.

What is most valuable?

The managed database service is what I really like as it really simplifies the setup of a database infrastructure. With the availability of backups and point-in-time recovery, logs & query dashboard, using the managed database service would ultimately result in reduction in cost attached to setting up such robust DB infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

I think the support can be improved, and I also think DigitalOcean needs to work on the reliability of the droplets. I've done some research and discovered that the droplet becomes unbootable. The boot drive gets corrupt, and that is a problem - especially when you're in a production system. That really gives a poor experience and that is why I had to focus on AWS. In terms of support and reliability of droplets I think they really need to improve in that area. I'd also prefer an upgrade on the security.

I've been using the program for at least five years now.
Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about DigitalOcean, Google, Amazon and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable.

I believe that DigitalOcean is easily scalable.

Something needs to be done in terms of technical support. I understand they support several businesses and it might not be easy to get to everyone on time. I believe they try their best to give good support.

I would even prefer a paid support service, if it were possible, as long as I could get that support. Because for a system like ours, where we run a huge infrastructure, you need to monitor things 24/7, and it is critical if something goes wrong. So I need to be sure that I can get to support at any time. I don't want to send a ticket and wait for hours before it's been attended to. And there are no other means to get in touch with the support team as they don't take any direct phone calls.

We develop and run complex software technology solutions, basically to manage client business processes. We have several use cases where we deploy databases on the cloud and the application separately too. And for our databases, the reason why we chose AWS right now over any other provider is because of the flexibility, the backup advantage we have with them, and for pricing.

One of the benefits of DigitalOcean is that the setup is easy and you don't need to be an expert because it is not complicated at all. I did the deployment myself and it took less than five minutes.

We use many different solutions at once, but we don't want to keep all our eggs in one basket. We use Azure, Oracle, AWS, and DigitalOcean and they all quite work well. We basically use DigitalOcean as a safeguard.

What other advice do I have?

I still use DigitalOcean for production, but I would not recommend it to others who want to run a critical enterprise grade application on this solution. Perhaps I was the only one who had a bad experience with technical issues and my experience does not mean that DigitalOcean is not good. I would like people to have their own experience.

Again, I think security is more important and I think DigitalOcean has been doing a lot in terms of security. I've noticed monitoring my droplets with DigitalOcean that they are blocking many unknown users trying to access my droplets and other things to make sure things are fine.

My rating is a seven out of ten.

it_user3498 - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Testing new systems is affordable. Backup/snapshots does not always restore properly.

What is most valuable?

Simple no-nonsense, super fast, and reliable Linux based servers on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

- Ability to spin up addition production servers in seconds

- Testing new systems and setup is super affordable

- Instantly go global US/UK/Amsterdam

What needs improvement?

- Backup/snapshots does not always restore properly

- Would be nice to build servers direct from ISO's

- Custom Kernels can be tricky

5 months

Nope, deployment are super simple.

Stability has been Rock Solid.

Not for our needs.

Very responsive. Not always helpful.

OK not great. Than again, I am a fairly advanced user.

We tried many other solutions. AWS, Azure, RackSpace, Low-End-Boxs

Our projects are very price sensitive, global, and customer experience focused. The top guys are just to expensive for our business model. Our service is 7x24x365, heavy on bandwidth, and requires many small servers. We wanted simple flat pricing for dedicated cloud servers and the ability to grow elastically when required. Digital Ocean really hit the sweet spot.

The Low-end guys where just not reliable enough, and honestly not that much cheaper.

As straightforward as can be. They have really make it super simple to get started.

If you know how to administer a Linux server, you will have no problems at all.

I tried them out after I read they received some serious funding. They have very attractive incentives for getting started, so I tried them out.

Immediate. Saved $100's the first month we started to use their service. Too good to be true.

$5/month per server.

10 servers deployed throughout the globe costs us $50/month -- this comes with:

- 1TB of bandwidth per server

- 1 IP4 internet routable IP per server

- 20 GB SSD storage per server

- 512k ram

- 1 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz

See above

What other advice do I have?

If you have the Linux and networking skills, this is truly a wonderful no-frills service. I pride myself on being a good value for money customer. This is a great value for a great service.

Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about DigitalOcean, Google, Amazon, and more!
Updated: November 2022