IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Digital Guardian OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Digital Guardian is #4 ranked solution in top Mobile Data Protection tools, #6 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools, #7 ranked solution in top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools, #12 ranked solution in top ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) tools, and #22 ranked solution in EDR tools. PeerSpot users give Digital Guardian an average rating of 6.6 out of 10. Digital Guardian is most commonly compared to Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention: Digital Guardian vs Forcepoint Data Loss Prevention. Digital Guardian is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Digital Guardian?

Digital Guardian Endpoint Data Loss Prevention (DLP) protects sensitive data on all your endpoints. It protects intellectual property and personal information. An endpoint agent that captures and records all system, user and data events on or off the network. It has a granular control of all data movement that can be configured to automatically block, justify or encrypt sensitive data in or attached to email, files moved to removable drives, cloud storage, or web - malware and malware-free - before sensitive data is lost. It has a built-in advanced data classification that creates and modifies classification and usage policies through content inspection, context-awareness and user classification. It provides design policies with controls that won't block actions that comply with corporate policy so employees remain productive while the data stays safe.

Digital Guardian Customers

The Fifth Avenue Theatre, Jabil Circuit

Digital Guardian Video

Digital Guardian Reviews

AbhishekRajput - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Associate at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, easy to expand, and has nice data security features
  • "It has been scalable."
  • "The initial setup is a bit more complex than other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data loss prevention. For the host we are using Digital Guardian and we can use it for Windows as well as Mac.

What is most valuable?

It has a couple of features for data security and we find them quite useful. You can work on various areas, including the endpoints, upload, areas of the cloud, et cetera, in order to protect yourself.

The product is stable.

It has been scalable.

What needs improvement?

In terms of working with this solution within the Mac context, there's no complete visibility on offer as compared to Windows. If they can improve on that part, it would be ideal.

The initial setup is a bit more complex than other solutions.

There should be less complexity while creating a policy or a rule. Other products make these capabilities easier.

Getting help with patching can take time.

I’ve used the solution for more than one year.

Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Digital Guardian, Broadcom, Forcepoint and others in Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It has been a stable product over the past year. The stability has been moderate. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze. It’s reliable.

The scalability is not an issue with Digital Guardian.

More than three blocks of endpoints are being managed right now. It’s used quite a bit. We have five to ten teams on it currently.

We’ve used technical support in the past. They can take time to fix the problem, however. If it is an L1 and L2 problem, we can manage it by ourselves. However, if there is some patch needed from the Digital Guardian side, it will take time to deal with it.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

I'm using McAfee Skyhigh CASB and I have worked with Forcepoint as well. We decided to use this solution due to the fact that it was more stable.

I have worked on various DLP tools, such as McAfee, Forcepoint, and now Digital Guardian. Digital Guardian is, compared to other tools, more complex to implement. Handling that and creating policies and rule formation, et cetera, is work.

I have not deployed it yet to the digital cloud as it is currently on-premises. I don't have any knowledge about deploying Digital Guardian. Basically, I'm working on the operational part for Digital Guardian.

I have worked on McAfee for deployments and Forcepoint. However, I’m not into deploying Digital Guardian.

As a security product, we do have to procure the licensing to use it, however. I’m unsure as to what it actually costs. I don’t handle that aspect.

What other advice do I have?

I’m a customer and end-user.

I’d advise new users to learn the technology as best they can. It is a good technology and the user will develop good skills. Enhance your skills if you can to use Digital Guardian, in terms of data security, to its fullest.

I’d rate the solution eight out of ten as it is more stable and has fewer loopholes in terms of sensors and agents.

Practice Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has good scalability but it's not stable and is resource-consuming
  • "It can scale from 100 to 10,000. There's no problem with the scalability."
  • "There are a lot of issues with the current version of the Endpoint agent. It's not stable, it's resource-consuming, and there are some performance issues. If they could improve the stability of the agent it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

Data security is now one of the most important aspects for any organization. Our customers are looking for a DLP solution that can help them protect data. It's both endpoint and network, and "network" covers cloud integration as well.

We cover both Endpoint Data Loss Prevention and Network DLP; in fact, we cover the whole portfolio of Digital Guardian. We have both cloud and on-premise solutions. We deploy it for medium and enterprise businesses.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of issues with the current version of the Endpoint agent. It's not stable, it's resource-consuming, and there are some performance issues. If they could improve the stability of the agent it would be great.

They need to improve their product. If they keep just adding the features, it's not going to help them to sell the solution in the market. First of all, they need to improve their existing features, rather than onboarding new features.

It's close to three years that we have been dealing with Digital Guardian.

We are facing a lot of challenges with the agent's stability. Sometimes the application fails. Sometimes it works for 10 days or 15 days and then starts behaving abnormally. I have a lot of issues related to the agent and it's still a challenge.

It can scale from 100 to 10,000. There's no problem with the scalability.

The technical support is very bad. Support has to be drastically improved.

The initial setup is complex. It is not straightforward. You need to do lot of config when you create rules and policies. It takes a lot of time to create them. It takes a lot of testing. You also need to have a little understanding of the programming language. It's very difficult to create a policy.

Deployment takes three to six months.

It can be deployed by one person, but that person would need to dedicate his time to finish the project from start to end. Otherwise, it would require a minimum of two people because sometimes engineers are not available. You have to have at least two engineers.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't have skilled staff, I would not recommend going with Digital Guardian. If you are looking more into deep-dive, postmortem, or forensic analysis, I would recommend it, but you need to have patience to implement the product. You need to bear in mind that support could be very challenging. The implementation, as I said, takes a long time. So if you have skilled staff, they can evaluate and onboard the solution but if you don't know have skilled staff, I would not recommend it.

My biggest lesson learned from dealing with this product is that they commit to something but they don't deliver it. That has been my experience.

I would rate it at five out of 10. Technically the product is good but the stability is not there.

Download our free Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Digital Guardian, Broadcom, Forcepoint, and more!
Updated: July 2022