IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Dell VxBlock System OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell VxBlock System is #3 ranked solution in top Converged Infrastructure tools. PeerSpot users give Dell VxBlock System an average rating of 8 out of 10. Dell VxBlock System is most commonly compared to Dell Vscale Architecture: Dell VxBlock System vs Dell Vscale Architecture. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Dell VxBlock System?

VxBlock and Vblock Systems simplify all aspects of IT and enable organizations to achieve better business outcomes faster. Seamlessly integrating enterprise-class compute, network, storage and virtualization technologies from industry leaders Cisco, Dell EMC, and VMware, VxBlock and Vblock Systems, powered by Intel Xeon processors, deliver the world's most advanced converged infrastructure: engineered, manufactured, managed, supported and sustained as one, allowing you to focus on your business.

The Dell EMC Converged Systems portfolio offers choice, flexibility, and reliability for accelerating IT transformation - VxBlock System offers additional levels of flexibility with a choice of network virtualization from VMware NSX or Cisco ACI.

Dell EMC VxBlock System Will Help You:

• Protect and consolidate your high-value workloads
  • Deliver cloud operations faster
  • Simplify life cycle management
  • Simplify operations
  • Modernize IT
  • Protect critical business data

With Dell EMC VxBlock System You Can:

• Automate key processes
  • Move to a VMware-based private or hybrid cloud model
  • Gain ongoing validation for technologies across the stack
  • Mix and match SAN/LAN switches, different storage arrays, blade and rack servers, and more
  • Reduce patching and upgrade efforts using a turnkey system

Dell EMC VxBlock System Features:

• Native data protection: Dell EMC’s data protection suite includes backup and recovery, centralized management, and replication.
  • Cisco C-Series servers: Dell EMC VxBlock System is now integrated with Cisco UCS C-Series rack servers, including the C220 and C240 in the M4 and M5 server lines.
  • Server scalability boost: You can increase server scalability by approximately 56%.
  • Storage mix: Dell EMC’s VxBlock System gives you the ability to mix four different types of storage arrays (Unity, VMAX, XtremIO, Isilon). It also includes multiple all-flash storage options (Unity 350F, 350F, 550F, 650F), and more.
  • Data center efficiency: The solution simplifies lifecycle assurance - which reduces time spent managing upgrades - and it can also reduce rack space and lower power costs.
  • Simpler RCM compliance: You will have simpler RCM compliance and your upgrades will feature an RCM dashboard showing the release level status of all components; You will also have access to RCM compliance score, RCM summary and detail reports, and RCM pre-positioning.
  • Deep CI context KPI metrics This feature includes capacity reporting and performance analytics with historical perspective.
  • Advanced, real-time CI-level alerting Dell EMC VxBlock System’s alerting feature includes operational state alerts, performance alerts, call home alerts, custom alerts and alert forwarding.

Dell EMC VxBlock System Benefits:

• Manage more efficiently
  • Reduce operational risk
  • Simplify upgrades and assure compliance
  • Focus more on added-value projects
  • Be more agile
  • Reduce OPEX
  • Proactively manage workload health
  • Improve capacity planning
  • Resolve incidents and problems faster

Reviews from Real Users:

“It's a highly optimized piece of equipment that doesn't give us any problems." - Architect at a manufacturing company

"It's at least 99 percent problem-free because it's factory-built. So from an informational point of view, everyone trusts that VxBlock has been tested well at the factory and has been configured to their requirements.” - General Manager, Enterprise Technical Solution at a tech services company

"The monitoring and management parts are the most valuable. Monitoring is specifically valuable because you have one console to monitor everything. This console is called Vision.” - Data center Manager at a financial services firm

Dell VxBlock System was previously known as VxBlock, VCE VxBlock System, Dell EMC VxBlock, VxBlock 1000.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Dell VxBlock System Customers

Atos, Canadian Pacific, IDS, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Switch, Xerox

Dell VxBlock System Video

Archived Dell VxBlock System Reviews (more than two years old)

Associate General Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Provides significant core default features and data protection

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database applications, using all the core features. We're a customer of VxBlock.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution would be its good default features and the compressions. Those are the features we use regularly.

What needs improvement?

For VxBlock, the consistency of disc quality could be improved.

I've been using this solution for almost six years.

The product is very stable.

The product is scalable.

We've used technical support from time to time and they are very good.

We made some comparisons with other products - WMC and HP 3par but have never used them.

Setup is fairly straightforward, deployment took between two and three weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Mohamed Abdu - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Consultant at Ministry of Education
A high-performance replacement for our legacy data center in a single cabinet
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the speed."
  • "This solution does not support Hyper-V, and we would like the new version to be supported and certified to work with Hyper-V."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our clearance and distribution department.

We are using this solution for virtualization with Hyper-V. Our entire infrastructure is Hyper-V, and it's working fine. We have a twenty-eight blade system with E-SATA storage, which is fantastic and very fast.

This is an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We completely replaced our old data center using this solution. We used to have around one hundred and fifty blades, two storage devices, two Cisco SAN Directors, and a lot of fibre cables. We have replaced all of this with just two VxBlock cabinets. It is very fast and very neat. There are no wires outside.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the speed. We have a legacy data center that is separated from the blades. It used to be very slow, and now it is very fast.

We have had no trouble with backups.

What needs improvement?

This solution does not support Hyper-V, and we would like the new version to be supported and certified to work with Hyper-V. It only supports VMware. We need this as a virtualization solution for the hardware.

We have been using this solution for about one year.

This is a stable solution.

Our experience has been very good and we are considering increasing our usage of this solution by adding blades. Our local partner has told us that we can extend this solution using another cabinet.

We do not contact technical support directly. Rather, we go through our partner for which we have a support contract. Our local partner takes care of monitoring the status of our system.

If we need to then we are able to open support tickets.

We replaced our entire legacy data center using this solution.

There was an issue because of the Hyper-V, but after it was configured, everything worked very nicely.

We had a VMware group from the UAE assist us with the implementation.

We purchased this solution with a ten-year manufacturer warranty, and we have a three-year warranty with our local partner.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for others.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that the vision for technology is always changing. As administrators, we worry about new technology because if one thing goes wrong in a cabinet that contains everything, how much will be affected? So far, nothing has happened and everything is working nicely. It is very good.

This solution ships from the manufacturer with VMware, but our Hyper-V is working fine. We expected to have an issue, but it works.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Converged Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell Technologies, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod, and more!
Updated: May 2022