IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Datameer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is Datameer?
Datameer specializes in analysis of large volumes of data for business users of Apache Hadoop. The company's product, Datameer Analytics Solution (DAS), is a business integration platform for Hadoop and includes data source integration, an analytics engine with a spreadsheet interface designed for business users with over 200 analytic functions and visualization including reports, charts and dashboards. DAS is available for major Hadoop distributions including Apache, Cloudera, EMC Greenplum HD, IBM BigInsights, MapR, Yahoo! and Amazon.
Datameer Customers
Trustev, DetroitCrime Commission, Sears, Visa, citi, vivint, workday, Kabam, USA Olympic Team, CDW, BT, at&t, Bank of America, NetApp., expresso
Datameer Video

Archived Datameer Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user357459 - PeerSpot reviewer
Hadoop Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helps to onboard and enrich data quickly as it does not involve writing scripts or queries, but the transformation functions can be more mature.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature are the data transformation functions in the workbook.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to onboard and enrich data quickly as it does not involve writing scripts or queries. Maintenance is easy.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have more inbuilt connections to different types of sources. The transformation functions can be more mature. Documentation for reference can be better.

I've used it for two years.

It could have better techniques for deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 7/10

It was straightforward.

It was done through a vendor team.

It was a decision made by the customer in consultation with our architects.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool from an analysis perspective, but is not suitable for IT.
it_user346887 - PeerSpot reviewer
Product Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can use the built-in smart analytic tools without the need to write formulae or construct infographics.

What is most valuable?

The built-in smart analytic tools are the most valuable features for me. They are very easy to use without the need of writing formulae or constructing infographics.

How has it helped my organization?

I have not used the tool in this company. However, knowing our product has a lot of log files, I am sure the tool can be used in performance analyses, such as:

• How long does a medication dispense take?
  • Where is the bottleneck on the service/server platform?
  • This will help to estimate the ROI on the machine.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more algorithms in smart analytics or computational intelligence for more commonly used use cases. A lot of the sample models can be used as templates already, so maybe it can be converted into a user-friendly version with an easy way of changing the data source.

I've used it for six months, mostly on the standalone single license version, but it has also include setting up the enterprise multi-license environment.

When I run the single license on my MacBook Pro, the memory space can be an issue. From time to time, I will delete the previously-run data. However, I don't see the problem on a virtual machine. I have not tried to run it on a redundant or load-sharing environment.

Excellent. The response time is amazingly fast. I got responses almost right away. My communication channel is through email.

I have not had time to play with other tools, but, I started reading about Tableau and Pentaho. Datameer and Tableau are integrated, so this is an advantage over Pentaho.

Both standalone and server versions are very easy to install. It took 15 minutes of reading to install the server and an email instruction from the engineer (more or less with the same instruction as in the Installation Guide). There is no learning time required on the standalone version.

I install the system from scratch on a VM from OS to Datameer.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use and set up. The documentation is very good, but I learn the most from the online learning courses. The best way to start is thought the online courses and fine tune the skill with documentation. The technical team can also provide more in-depth knowledge and seminars.

it_user341337 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Test Enginner at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It has got basic and advanced functions of SQL, but there are issues when saving the workbook or applying any filtering criteria.

What is most valuable?

Datameer has around 400 inbuilt functions that are very useful for any beginner and also it has a good visualization which helps end user to see that how the trend is showing. Datameer has got basic and advanced functions of SQL which is really helpful to extract and filter data.

How has it helped my organization?

Datameer has improved our process of extracting and filtering of data as it's much easier and effective when compared to how we were doing this previously.

What needs improvement?

Although this tool is very good for, it has got some limitations that I think could be removed in later versions. Sometime saving a workbook and applying a filter criteria in that workbook takes too much time to process. Sometimes filters do not work properly if we skip to save the workbook. The auto-save feature is something that I am looking forward to.

It's been around for six to seven months. As of now we just switched to Datameer to extract data from hadoop, so from a learning point of view I am finding it very interesting.

Sometimes while saving the workbook or applying any filtering criteria there are issues.

It's pretty excellent and impressive. Whenever there is a query related to Datameer, we just need to tell them by mail and by the next business day, there will be a reply from them for sure.

No, we are just migrating.

It was not straightforward.

By watching videos on Datameers site, and after passing the exam, I got command over this tool.

ROI is good in the long term.

What other advice do I have?

This tool has some limitations as well which I think can be removed in later patch.

it_user344469 - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Analyst at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is, in theory, an easier way to engage data on Hadoop than on Hive, but it needs better integration with other enterprise technologies out of the box.

What is most valuable?

It is, in theory, an easier way to engage data on Hadoop than on Hive.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn’t yet, but we're still working on it.

What needs improvement?

It needs better integration with other enterprise technologies out of the box. We’ve had issues with setup.

We’ve had it for a few months, and I’ve maybe spent a few hours with it.

No issues with stability yet.

No issues with scalability yet.

It's very good.

It's very good.

We chose it since it may make data in Hadoop more accessible to more people.

It was a bit complex, and our IT folks can speak to it better than I can.

Both. Give more time then you think to implement it; however, the Datameer guys are great to work with so that helps a lot.

No way to measure ROI for us at this time.

What other advice do I have?

Seems to be good for non-developers and for production data jobs.

Product Categories