Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

D-Link Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

D-Link Ethernet Switches is #14 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give D-Link Ethernet Switches an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. D-Link Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to NETGEAR Switches: D-Link Ethernet Switches vs NETGEAR Switches. D-Link Ethernet Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 44% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is D-Link Ethernet Switches?
Typically managed using a browser-based Graphical User Interface (GUI), D-Link Ethernet Switches are attractively priced and support an essential set of Layer 2/2+ switching functions including VLAN, Link Aggregation, QoS, Bandwidth Limiting, Access Control Lists, and more.
D-Link Ethernet Switches Customers
George Mason University, Somerville House, Hiperwall, New Brunswick School District 16, The Fulcrum Group, Bremond Independent School District, University of Texas Health Science Center, Grand Canyon Skywalk, SUN Area Career & Technology Center, Abington Senior High School
D-Link Ethernet Switches Video

Archived D-Link Ethernet Switches Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Manager at Concretemastersinc
A cost-effective switch that is easy to set up and has room for growth
  • "These switches are very easy to install because there is no configuration."
  • "I would like an option to create different networks within the switch."

What is our primary use case?

I am a network administrator and D-Link Ethernet Switches make up part of the network that I manage. These switches connect the workstations to the servers and then through the firewall to the internet.

What is most valuable?

These switches are very easy to install because there is no configuration. Rather, they are just plug-and-play.

What needs improvement?

D-Link switches are not as robust as Cisco.

I would like an option to create different networks within the switch.

I have been working with D-Link Ethernet switches since 2014.

September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not had any trouble with stability. We moved offices two years ago and went to bigger cabinets with more switches, and there haven't been any problems.

This solution is pretty flexible. It has room for growth.

I have never had a problem that required calling technical support. I have had some of these same switches for more than five years without trouble. If I did have an issue now then I would just replace them because they are not expensive.

I used to work a lot with Cisco routers and switches but have not used them since 2011. In comparing them, Cisco routers are more expensive but they are also more robust.

Feature-wise, for the same level of switch model, I don't think that there is much of a difference other than Cisco being more expensive.

The initial setup is very easy and I've had no issues with it at all. Once all of the cables were in place and we turned it on, it worked right away. I had one core switch, to which all of the other switches and the firewall were connected.

I did the deployment myself. All of the configurations were done on the firewall side, which is the hardest part. With a small office like we have, it is not complicated.

The D-Link Switches are cheaper than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend without any reservation. That said, there are some improvements that can be made.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user1143 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
D-Link DGS-1100 24-port gigabit ethernet switch is fast and economical

Valuable Features:

Surveillance VLAN feature is very useful for deployment of video surveillance equipment without disturbing the regular network traffic.Port-Based VLANs are supported and you can setup VLANs by assigning ports to certain users on your network.Remote administration is simple using web-based interface and SmartConsole utility.You can prioritize traffic for critical applications like VOIP using the QoS feature.Network troubleshooting features like Cable Diagnostics and Loop-back detection are quite helpful for IT pros.

Room for Improvement:

By default DHCP is disabled

Other Advice:

D-Link DGS-1100 is very useful gigabit Ethernet switch for small and medium sized businesses which can transfer data at high speeds and offers a lot of useful features.
it_user7665 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user7665Network Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees

Is there a way through which we can enable DHCP right at the boot time?

September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1128 - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Expert at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Get Excellent Network Bandwidth Performance with the D-Link Ethernet Switch

Valuable Features:

The D-Link Ethernet switch is available with 8 ports, 16 ports, 24 ports, 48 ports, and more... Therefore, you can choose the correct number of port switches that you want to connect to a computer. This is not a waste of money. D-Link Ethernet switches are now introduced with green technology, which saves a lot of electricity. It consumes power only when network ports are used, otherwise it will run under a power saving mode. One big advantage of the D-link Ethernet switch is that it comes with different LED signals for troubleshooting. For example, green and orange signals, which help a technician resolve problems in a timely manner. It’s very simple to plug and play and they are high quality performance switches.

Room for Improvement:

The cost is a little bit higher than other switches. The D-link Ethernet switch does not come with software management (Only UN-managed (L2) Switch).

Other Advice:

It is a very nice product. i am highly recommended to you buy this product for network development.
it_user1083 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Operations at a tech company with 51-200 employees
D-Link Ethernet Switches are a classy and sustainable solution for a wide range of networks.

Valuable Features:

D-Link Ethernet switches are quite classy and easy to use. These switches can be utilized for both small and large networks, irrespective of complexity. No matter, how secure you want your network to be, D-Link managed switches are quite capable of fulfilling your requirement. These switches can be managed both through the web and through CLI as well. D-Link has switches in a variety of speed ranges. There are 10/100 mbps switches for simple and small networks. For larger and secure networks D-Link provides Gigabit switches with an OFC combo port. These switches vary from 8 ports to 48 ports. Programming of these switches through CLI is not so complicated. Simple and comprehensive commands will do what is needed. Switches are robust and from time to time, firmware upgrades are also available on the net.

Room for Improvement:

It will be very difficult to find any flaw in D-Link Ethernet Switches. Though few, L2 switches are bit costly to afford. The only significant issue which could trouble you while programming these switches is, its binding of ports along IP and MAC. There is no direct CLI command available for these. You have to use 802.1x radius protocol and disable the address learning capability of the ports. Although, this is not a very serious issue. Many of the network savvy people can handle this.

Other Advice:

D-Link Ethernet Switches are state of the art networking devices that can solve critical networking related issues like VLAN segregation, enhancing security through ACL, configuring trunk ports, RIP, etc. D-Link L2 switches have easy to upload upgraded firmware through web interface.
Download our free Ethernet Switches Report and find out what your peers are saying about D-Link, Netgear, Cisco, and more!
Updated: September 2022