IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Code42 Next-Gen DLP OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Code42 Next-Gen DLP is #6 ranked solution in top Data Loss Prevention (DLP) tools, #14 ranked solution in EDR tools, and #24 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Code42 Next-Gen DLP an average rating of 9.6 out of 10. Code42 Next-Gen DLP is most commonly compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: Code42 Next-Gen DLP vs CrowdStrike Falcon. Code42 Next-Gen DLP is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 33% of all views.

Download the Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Code42 Next-Gen DLP?
Code42, a leading provider of information security solutions, secures the ideas of more than 50,000 organizations worldwide, including the most recognized brands in business and education. Because Code42 collects and indexes every version of every file, the company offers security, legal and IT teams total visibility and recovery of data--wherever it lives and moves. With real-time alerts and forensics, these teams can easily detect, investigate, and rapidly recover from any data incident, such as ransomware, lost of stolen devices, and insider threats. Supported by a global state-of-the-art cloud infrastructure, the Code42 platform safeguards hundreds of petabytes of data and helps organizations comply with evolving regulatory environments. Founded in 2001, the company is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and backed by Accel Partners, JMI Equity, NEA, and Split Rock Partners. For more information, visit code42.com.

Code42 Next-Gen DLP was previously known as Code42 Next-Gen Data Loss Protection, Code42 Forensic File Search, Code42 Backup + Restore.

Code42 Next-Gen DLP Customers
Adobe, Okta, Samsung, Taylormade, Boston University, Lending Club, North Highland, Stanford University, Ping Identity, Qualcomm, Pandora.
Code42 Next-Gen DLP Video

Archived Code42 Next-Gen DLP Reviews (more than two years old)

Jose Chambilla - PeerSpot reviewer
CrashPlanPROe Application Manager at SIL International
Works in the background, allows individual users to perform restores

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up corporate data. Most of our users are travelers and there have been cases where laptops were lost/stolen.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to keep our corporate data safe for those who don't work in a center with IT support.

What is most valuable?

• Works in the background
  • Admin dashboard
  • Reporting
  • Users are able to perform restores
  • Mobile app comes handy if you need to retrieve a file

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility on privileges, perhaps create another kind of admin for regions. Also, I would like the ability to access logs without having to be on the actual device or a super-admin.

Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Code42, Digital Guardian, Broadcom and others in Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Updated: July 2022.
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Three to five years.
The application requires far more system resources on a Client than other solutions
  • "It required very little ongoing maintenance once setup."
  • "It has quite a bit of flexibility in configuring backup sets."
  • "It had the ability to preseed by sending in a data drive and could restore by sending the user a data drive."
  • "​Due to recent changes that effectively abandoned an entire segment of their user base, I no longer trust nor can recommend Code42 products."
  • "The application, written in Java, required far more system resources on a Client than other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Used for both peer-to-peer and cloud backup.

What is most valuable?

• It required very little ongoing maintenance once setup.
  • Supported peer to peer storage (they are discontinuing this going forward). Due to the change in direction of the company, I am now migrating to a different solution.
  • It has quite a bit of flexibility in configuring backup sets.
  • It had the ability to preseed by sending in a data drive and could restore by sending the user a data drive.

More than five years.

It used to be a good solution for SOHO in particular as it had unlimited storage for a reasonable price. However, their pricing model has changed and they are now primarily targeting enterprise users.

What other advice do I have?

Due to recent changes that effectively abandoned an entire segment of their user base, I no longer trust nor can recommend Code42 products.

Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
July 2022
620,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Research IT Support Specialist at a tech vendor
Primarily used to provide backup of HIPAA-related info and giving a sense of security against data loss

What is our primary use case?

Backup of HIPAA-related info.

What is most valuable?

Restore of data that is pertinent, such as thesis.

How has it helped my organization?

No longer the fear of losing work which has been worked on for a long time.

What needs improvement?

Faster.

Over a year.

They are amazing.

It was straightforward.

Unknown.

Not available.

System Administrator III at a university
We use it to migrate users to new machines and rebuild existing ones that have had HDD failures
  • "Backup and recovery have been great, but I love having the ability to keep the hybrid type build which they offer."
  • "More security would be nice, I would love to be able to remotely brick a stolen laptop and it's hard disk drive (HDD)."

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to alleviate the worry of many faculty and staff backup needs and keeping them current. It has also helped us keep track of who is letting their stuff get backed up, where they are in the world, and how they are using the software.

What is most valuable?

Backup and recovery have been great, but I love having the ability to keep the hybrid type build which they offer. We host the controller and they host the data. The unlimited storage is nice, too.

What needs improvement?

More security would be nice, I would love to be able to remotely brick a stolen laptop and it's hard disk drive (HDD). A larger web restore limit would help as some of the files we have to recover are much larger than 500MB.

None. It has been remarkably stable and reliable. We have had more issues with our users not backing up their stuff than with the actual service itself.

We have a small deployment, but another department on campus has one that is four times our size and we both use the same tools the exact same way to accomplish our goals. Therefore, I would say it scales well.

Pretty good. My rep keeps in contact with me, and they have an advocate hub where IT pros can mingle and help each other.

It is very good! I have had nothing but good experiences with the tech support folks. They not only know their product, but they know other infrastructure products as well and how they may or may not mess with Code42.

We didn't try anything before this, but our central IT department did offer a competitor. We found it to be far too rigid and it didn't fit our needs.

The initial setup was quite easy as we had a Code42 champion helping us the entire time. They help us by being a sounding board for our questions and getting us info for things like SSO and customizing the installer for our department.

Our in-house IT department (my associate and me) setup and deployed it to our users. It was a great learning experience as we have to maintain the system as well.

We have already gotten our investment back at least once, probably twice. We have used Code42 to migrate users to new machines and rebuild existing ones that have had HDD failures. We are even backing up our 2.5TB backup server, so when the building collapses in the next earthquake, our stuff is backed up!

It is 100% worth the cost to get and keep the support, especially when setting it up. There are some nice cheats that the techs have to help you get stuff done faster and they can point you to options you may want to use depending on the size of your organization.

We looked at AWS and Druva as other options, but found them to be either annoyingly complex or too expensive for what we wanted.

What other advice do I have?

This software is designed to be set up and forget it for the users, but as an admin, you have reports that can help you prove it's continued existence.

It's probably the best backup tool available, but that's just my opinion. Try for yourself and decide.

Information Security Specialist at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
  • "Security tools: Being able to monitor data going in and coming off our endpoints. Seeing what it is and where it's going is awesome."
  • "Reporting could use an overhaul. It is very limited."

How has it helped my organization?

Completely changed our legal hold process from pulling drives and locking them in safes to a few clicks and has no impact for the user and on IT. Legal can handle this all on their own.

We have been able to go to a self-service model for refreshes. Users can now pull their own data and only pull what they need.

What is most valuable?

1. Security tools: Being able to monitor data going in and coming off our endpoints. Seeing what it is and where it's going is awesome.
  2. Legal hold: Giving us the ability to have an easy to use solution for doing legal holds is amazing. It saves us so much time and money for IT and the users.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could use an overhaul. It is very limited. Adding in more commonly requested reports. They can provide you with the reporting you need, but then it's in Excel files and you lose the single dashboard for your data.

No issues.

Customer service is awesome. I have had a couple tickets with them. They are very knowledgeable and responsive.

No, we did not.

Initial setup was very easy and we worked with professional services, so they handled 99% of it. We went to backup everything, excluded stuff we knew we didn't need, then fine tuned it more as we went along.

We used Code42 to implement and they were awesome. They knew the solution very well and helped with customizing to fit our needs

The amount of time spent on recreating data from a lost/stolen or crashed drive is the best piece. Also, with having an electronic solution for a legal hold, we no longer need to pull and store drives for legal reasons.

Speak with your sales rep and SE. They are honest and straightforward with everything. They were the best solution and surprisingly enough, the cheapest. I couldn't believe that and was blown away with how they came in way lower than their competition.

Competitive endpoint security solutions that we also evaluated were Druva and SpiderOak.

What other advice do I have?

This was the best ones that I tested. I loved it then and still love it now. Plan for high network traffic during roll-outs and initial backups. We spread out the backups as much as we could, but used the network locations and throttled different locations based on their bandwidth.

Systems Admin. at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
With it, we don't worry about data loss due to theft or loss of laptops.

What is most valuable?

• It provides seamless backups without impacting user performance impact.
  • It's automated and very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

It's eliminated the worry about data loss due to theft or loss of laptops.

3 Years

None

Customer service is awesome, They are on top of all questions and are US based.

Great Technical support and very knowledgable

very straightforward

Kurt Miller - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Manager at a marketing services firm
It just runs, rarely requiring intervention, but Java needs to be removed from it.

How has it helped my organization?

Once setup, it rarely requires user intervention. It just runs.

What is most valuable?

Low system overhead, setting retention policies, ease of use

What needs improvement?

Java, please get rid of Java.

very easy

Sr. Desktop Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
The "Legal Hold" feature is loved by our Legal Department. They are able to log into the console themselves, with specialized roles, and can't do damage to our setup.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

De-duplication has saved us on bandwidth usage and also processor usage on the systems. Also, users are able to download software on-demand.

What needs improvement?

None, it always works great. Always looking forward to new features that Code42 will implement. The support site has been recently rebuilt and works great.

1 year

None at all. The Pro team was awesome helping us install CP and the Customer Champions are great when we have a question.

No issues with stability were encountered. We installed CrashPlan on a Red Hat Linux Enterprise server and it has been running great for 1 year.

None! We are able to obtain more licences easily when needed. Also, we are able to release licences from cold storage archives when needed.

Excellent! I've had great experiences with all the staff. From product trainers, the sales team and the support team.

Supurb! They know their product inside and out. Also, you don't ever really need to call them because their support site has every answer you need.

Yes, Lenovo Online Backup was a nightmare. I'm so happy we got rid of that. Code42 CrashPlan is lightyears ahead. They were not able to provide solutions like Legal Hold or even simply the capability to search for files within the console.

So easy - The PRO team showed us how to install CrashPlan on Red Hat Linux Enterprise and it was so easy. They have a great team to help accomplish a flawless install.

No - we dealt with Code42 directly. I think that made our connection to Code42 stronger, not having a 3rd party vendor in the middle.

It's a great product that does exactly what we want and need, plus more. It's a substantial upgrade from any other backup solution we have used in the past.

Code42 are flexible and are there to work with you. They have a great sales team and put are a "no-pressure" group. They take care of their customers.

We took a look at Data Red Castle, Lenovo Online Backup v2 and also Acronis. We did a lengthy PoC of each and Code42 CrashPlan was the clear winner.

What other advice do I have?

Code42 CrashPlan is by far the best data backup solution on the market. The software is built by professionals, the support team is exceptional and the account reps are there to help you with anything you need.

ABS Support Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Since I started working with CrashPlan we have less tickets open.
  • "t has a very user friendly status bar with common errors and has logs built in to the console so we can review the issues or status of CrashPlan."
  • "I think one we can improve is the compression."

How has it helped my organization?

Since I started working with CrashPlan we have less tickets open, since we offer monitor issues we received daily alerts and most of the issues are fixed even before the customer realizes they have an issue. Restoration is fast and easy. Also, we can see the logs in the console without going thru folders and text editors. It is really easy to use and the interface is really user friendly.

What is most valuable?

There are a few, the first one would be that it is very user friendly, has a nice interface and we can restore from the console in the customer server or from our server. It has a very user friendly status bar with common errors and has logs built in to the console so we can review the issues or status of CrashPlan.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure, since we use an old version of the application (planning on doing the upgrade next year) and it has flaws but I don't know if they have been fixed on the newer versions. I saw the new version and just by seeing it I think it provides more information on the status of the server with out going thru all the steps on the old version. I think one we can improve is the compression but I am not familiar with the newer version so I cannot really share an opinion on that.

With Kaspersky AntiVirus on Windows we had one recurring issue that it started crashing the app, I actually try to exclude it and it keeps crashing until we reinstall the application. The think is we reinstall and it takes some months until it crashed again but is an old version of CrashPlan maybe when we do the upgrade that issue will be resolved.

I don't think we had encountered any issue with scalability, at least not that I am aware of since I took over 2 years ago and the previous engineer did not mention anything regarding scalability.

The best, they are always in contact and resolving all our needs. We have a lot of interaction with their team and they have been always giving us all the information we need. We also use their advocate page and they are very helpful with everything.

I haven't used it until now, but I am planning an upgrade and I think I'll request a lot of technical hints.

i never used a solution for backup , i used well hardware solutons but not an offsite or cloud solution before crashplan , but it has been a really good experience and when customers lost data restoration had been really helpfull and fast and i have not get any complaints from our customers using crashplan .

i was not during the initial set up for the server but when i set up new customers is really straighforward basically we install the software , enter the license on our side then just go next and set up the account with the user and password and just entered the proserver ip and connect thats really about all we do , is really easy to set up.

it was in house and they had been working with this solution for years that means they level of expertise is really good and they handled everything to us and the trainign was really a challenge but once you got it right is really easy to implement on any supported OS

i am the administrator , basically i do everything from installation , set up , troubleshooting and sometimes we do some reports , also crashplan can do reports to excel from the console and that really helps a lot . i manage the space left , disk quota pretty much everything.

well is not my department , i am not really familiar with pricing and licensing , i provide licenses when they are requested but i do not know how much it is it for each License or the actual pricing on the crash plan .

i remember they used evault on AIX servers and some of them still use it but when they change or migrate to windows , unix or linux crashplan is the best choice for them .

What other advice do I have?

well yes , is a really good backup solution i know they are a lot of them now in the market but this one is really good their interface is very user friendly , it can be installed from commando line and graphic interface , and supports windows , mac and unix , overall is a really good and user friendly application

Director, Information Technology and Technical Support at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
The always-active backup ability ensures that end-user data is protected.

What is most valuable?

CrashPlan's always-active backup ability is crucial for ensuring that end-user data is protected at all times, any time they are connected.

How has it helped my organization?

Our researchers are often working remotely, and enabling protection of their data even when they are away from our servers is key. User-driven data recovery is a huge time-saver as well.

What needs improvement?

I would love the ability to export archives of old backup data in a .zip or something like that, but the system currently requires a restore to a workstation directly.

I have used it for 5+ years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues at all; very fast and simple to roll out and configure. But support is very willing to walk you through installs if you have problems.

Clients will from time-to-time have difficulty connecting to our backup server. This tends to be an issue with the client after an update has been pushed; never difficult to fix, but something to keep an eye on.

We have not encountered any scalability issues at all. We will be migrating to their cloud storage solution soon, which should reduce our scalability issues to more or less zero.

CrashPlan support is very quick to respond and the company in general seems highly engaged with customers. They appear ready to take feedback and present various ways to interact with the company.

Technical support has always been reliable and efficient for us. We get fast, clear responses and have never felt we need to nag or hunt anyone down to get the info we need.

We had looked at a few personal cloud backup options, but CrashPlan had the most aggressive pricing and has proven to be very reliable.

Initial setup was very straightforward; simple server installs, and it's just a matter of pointing CrashPlan to a storage target and the app takes care of the rest.

We implemented the solution through our in-house IT team. It seemed simple enough to not warrant the use of an outside service.

Our research data is essentially invaluable, which means that it's both hard to quantify the value, and easy to justify most expenses to protect it.

Consider that each user can have multiple devices associated with each license. The cost is low enough that there's no reason not to aim for 100% coverage.

It's been a long time but at this point, we haven't felt the need to reevaluate the market to find new options. We have also looked at services like Backblaze, and have used and liked them as well.

What other advice do I have?

CrashPlan is easy to use and reliable. The service is affordable and the company is easy to work with; highly recommended.

it_user664206 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user664206Partner Privato at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

Dico che non ho capito molto di cosa si tratta ma vedo che debba essere una cosa molto ma molto interessante per me un Backup è un qualcosa che mi servirebbe per il mio sistema operativo Visto che Adopero molto gli Insider Preview ho un pò di problemi con ill mio sistema operativo Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit serie 1703 che mi sta dando non pochi problemi è quindi mi richiede un Backup completo ma se possibile GRATIS perché purtroppo sono un Disoccupato penso che non ho nulla da aggiungere grazie comunque Giancarlo Maiano

Senior Desktop Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
The lockdown feature ensures backups of company data for compliance, and prevents users from changing that.

What is most valuable?

The lockdown feature has been extremely valuable. We have been able to ensure backups of company data for compliance, and prevent users from changing that.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our ability to have complete backups for people on legal hold and also ensuring everyone is backed up for compliance reasons. The ease of use has helped our users be sufficient and cut down on technician time.

What needs improvement?

Even with the constant improvements coming quarterly, I would definitely appreciate the night mode in the administrator console to be brought back.

We started deployment a little over a year ago.

Creating custom installers was a bit of a learning curve, but we received help and documentation from our Code42 Engineer.

Some issues were reported in regards to high CPU usage, but usually resolved with a simple uninstall and reinstall. Occurrences were minimal.

We were able to develop customized packages with LANDESK and Casper to deploy throughout company, it was easily scalable with our Hybrid solution.

Their customer service has been outstanding. The communication is very open and consistent whenever we reach out.

The technical support has been excellent. Even if the representative we were working with did not know the answer, it was quickly found through research or knowledge of other team members.

We ended up switching due to unfriendly user experience, as well as reliability and lack of functionality. The pricing was not that different and we felt we got so much more from the product.

The setup was very straightforward; probably the easiest we've ever done. We the support of our engineer and the design of the product. We literally kept repeating the phrase, "That's it?", in regards to that's all we had to do; it was so simple.

We implemented it in-house. We had access to a dedicated engineer to walk us through and assist us. We were not transitioned away from our dedicated engineer until we were ready.

Code42 Crashplan has saved us large amounts of time and money. The time spent by technicians supporting users through some over-complex interface has dropped dramatically. Support requested for restores are almost never needed due to ease of use.

Do your research; some other companies might be cheaper, but the support and ease of use are well worth it. Code42 has continued its professionalism and support from when they were trying to get us as customers to doing an excellent job keeping us as customers.

• Lenovo Online Backup aka Mozy: This did not have the controls we were looking for. Price was similar. The administration was overly complex.
  • Datacastle RED: Price-wise, this was the least expensive, but it also had the worst performance and least functionality.

What other advice do I have?

I can't say enough about Code42. The product has been a surprise at the ease of setup and deployment. Plus, they do an excellent job of building their customer community.

Paul Cottey - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
We filter out certain file types, and throttle both to a percentage of CPU and to network throughput.

What is most valuable?

We use CrashPlan for PC and Macintosh end-point backup. We filter out certain file types. We throttle both to a percentage of CPU and to network throughput.

How has it helped my organization?

We have confidence that any files stored on a PC or a Mac for any length of time will be backed up and available to be restored.

What needs improvement?

If you install the home user version of CrashPlan, you will need to uninstall it before you are able to install the pro version. This only matters if you install the wrong version the first time.

I have used it for four or five years.

We did not encounter any issues with our deployment.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The level of customer service is very high. There is an on-line community if I need technical help, and the interface is very easy to use.

I have not needed technical support.

We did not previously use a different solution, and we did not switch.

Initial setup was straightforward. Download the software. Run the software. Configure the software. Let the backup run.

An in-house team implemented it. It is just not that difficult.

What is our ROI? Our ROI is the peace of mind that we can restore our files if we need to do so.

Decide whether you need a certain number of user licenses or a certain amount of storage.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options. This is the one we looked at.

it_user497994 - PeerSpot reviewer
Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Setup remote backups and they continually backup changes.

What is most valuable?

Central Dashboard. The ability to change what is backed up and usage limits remotely is a time saver.

How has it helped my organization?

Setup remote backups and they continually backup changes. No more remembering to swap an external drive.

What needs improvement?

Business OneDrive file backups

9 months

None

Some users report inability to connect to backup server. These were attributed to bad internet connections.

We added licenses as needed.

Exceptional

Exceptional. Always get a native English speaker.

We had several different solutions.

We tried IDrive,and local windows backup. The inability to monitor or change configurations on the fly was a show stopper.

It is complex but Code42 provides a dedicated service engineer to help.

In house with a dedicated service engineer doing remote sessions.

Work with a sales rep to get your best pricing. End of quarter pricing is great.

Yes, Carbonite.

What other advice do I have?

It just works. And if you have a problem, chat is fast.

Andrew Salinger - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, IT at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The file restore functionality and remote backup for remote users doesn't take a lot of resources. It is invaluable for restoring lost or encrypted files.

What is most valuable?

The file restore functionality and remote backup for remote users is fantastic. It doesn't take a lot of resources and is invaluable when someone needs to restore files that they have lost or encrypted. Or, if they are just upgrading, we can save a lot of time with the remote restore as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We save our end users time and our IT admins time. Both users spend less time fixing faulty backup solutions on remote backup hardware and software that each can get messed up; bad drives, bad backup locations, etc., not enough space.

What needs improvement?

So far, so good. I have not seen a ton of places that need improvement. There are some users who just do not come online frequently enough, or have a good enough connection to be backing up all their files frequently/often.

The biggest area to improve would be notifications for admins.

I have used it for seven months.

We did not encounter any deployment issues off the bat. The scripts to automate the backup locations took some reading up on, but did well overall for our users' initial backup tasks and automated it.

I have not encountered any stability issues. The only issue we really had was with the initial server setup. We were required to put it on Windows Server 2012 and I had to re-image the storage appliance that came with Storage Server 2012 from Microsoft but was not supported. It might have worked anyway; however, it was not officially supported. Rather than fight with Code42 if we had an issue, we thought it was better to rework the storage appliance OS installation and keep our fingers crossed.

Up to this point, I have not encountered any scalability issues. We are perhaps 1/12 of our storage used after seven months in play. We keep our storage on site and can add to it when required. We'll cross that road when needed. We'll need to purchase similar hardware or add larger disks when the time comes, but it could be a few years pending static growth rates.

Customer service is great; the best I have had with any company. No joke. To date, it has been great. I would have a hard time finding another company that provided better support for their product on the first rollout.

Technical support are professionals: 10/10.

Replies are timely and we're able to find solutions with their online support / resolve issues in two instances when I was looking for solutions at the end of the work day and tech was not available.

We were using GFI backup / freeware. This is more automated.

The software we were using was not very good at all. It required too much user intervention and many users just simply did not perform backups. Now, they do not really need to pay attention to it and we can run reports if we would like to.

Initial setup was straightforward, but we luckily have in-house knowledge to set up external access to the internal server for backup purposes.

We implemented in house and had a quick setup with CrashPlan rep since we deployed the hardware in house with the CrashPlan software. I imagine most companies just use CrashPlan's storage in the cloud but we preferred to keep it in house.

ROI is easily measured with the first person that was able to do file restores that would have otherwise lost their files. The cost to lost files is virtually priceless. While nobody knows the value of the files that they have, we do know that they do not have to recreate any of them or dig any up from backups on tape if there were any to begin with.

Speak with your vendor to see if you can get better pricing through them. We thought the pricing was fair for what it offered and did not pay "list" price. However, it seemed to be reasonable in the end what we paid for deployment and first year costs for rollout on our own hardware.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options. We looked at Datto, but did not trial it. We did choose to go with Code42, as it showed great promise and had other possibilities available, such as the newest release can potentially help have data leakage prevention / notification from the administrative console.

What other advice do I have?

Keep up the great work. Ideally, we could have used the Windows Storage Server 2012 that was on a storage appliance we purchased, but by reinstalling, we were able to support the software on the original hardware that was purchased, just not with the Storage Server 2012 operating system from Windows.

End User Technology Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
We used the restore feature to help us migrate from a standard laptops to the Microsoft Surface.

What is most valuable?

Its as close to a "set it and forget it" application as one could get. We used the restore feature to help us migrate over 150 sales associates from a standard laptop to the Microsoft Surface.

How has it helped my organization?

We used the restore feature to assist us in migrating 150 sales associates to new hardware. The cloud backups enabled us to restore to the new hardware. When the sales associates started up their new Surface, it had the exact same data as their legacy hardware.

What needs improvement?

The usability of the cold storage could be a little more user friendly. It is quite a process to access the data from cold storage. I also think there should be a different licensing level for cold storage accounts.

1 year

None. The hardest part was getting our sales teams to actually complete the process. We sent a link via email and all they need to do was literally click the link, sign into the application and they were good to go.

None. The application has been rock solid for us.

None. We found the application was easy to scale from 15 users to almost 200 at this point.

Top notch! Whenever we had questions or needed a bit of guidance, they were spot on with their answers and / or resolution.

We used the Windows backup utility. We switched to enable us to have better visibility on what and how often our equipment was being backed up.

The initial set up could not have been easier. Both the server side and the user side were very easy to set up.

We did the implementation with our own team of 3. We were able to get our entire sales force of 150 on the application with relative ease.

The ROI will be realized when the legal team needs data and we are able to easily get it for them.

Pricing is in line with the expectations. As I mentioned previously, I would like to see a different tier or level of licensing for accounts in cold storage as those files are lying dormant and for the most part will not be accessed.

We did not evaluate any other options. We liked what we saw with Code42 and knew it was what we needed.

What other advice do I have?

The application and the company are absolutely top notch! The support is very responsive and the company has a genuine concern for their customers. In this day and age of outsourcing support, that is VERY refreshing.

it_user326337 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user326337Customer Success Manager at IT Central Station

Thanks, Rex, interesting to learn about your decision-making process.

Can you elaborate on what the criteria was that you were looking for? Were the dashboard's usability and the ease of installation part of that criteria, or were they added bonuses?

IT Officer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
It provides backup target flexibility with full reporting regardless of the target.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility of backup targets with full reporting, regardless of the target.
  • Locally back up system to on-site storage, backup to their hosted cloud, backup to your third-party cloud or any combination of that, all with global reporting.
  • File-retention settings for version control.
  • Security is you having control of the encryption keys for your backup. Trust no one.
  • Unlimited cloud backup.
  • Zero-impact client.
  • Configurable and lockable settings that you can push to a single machine, group or globally.

How has it helped my organization?

My company works in the developing world. Cloud backup is not always an option. Most other solutions that have an option for local backup require connectivity to local LAN to handle reporting or configuration changes.

CrashPlan allows us to bridge that over the internet so that we can have full reporting on what that office's backup situation is without heavily impacting their connectivity which can be as low as 256K down 128K up to 10 users. Our cloud backup and our local office backup with CrashPlan now works seamlessly from a single control panel.

CrashPlan has allowed us to back up smaller field offices not on our VPN locally, but still retain global reporting on backup status, as well as backing up our high-bandwidth offices to the cloud. It has increased our version retention from daily to every 15 min. Restoration of files from the admin console has allowed us to do no-user interaction restoration of files across vast distances.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be stronger. With the API you can do a lot of reporting, but it is not built in very robustly.

License management could be improved; currently in hybrid format, you can get a total license count but not how many of those licenses are cloud vs local or how many cloud licenses are left.

They are using a federated model for storage servers and I would love to see that carry over to client upgrades so that they do not all come back to my central server for the update files, which could easily be stored on the storage server for distribution locally.

I have used it for 16 months.

AD integration script took some time for us to develop in a way that would work with our environment. Subsequent platform upgrades have been a challenge for us due to the unique environment we work in (very low bandwidth settings).

We had to tweak settings for storage servers always reporting offline due to slow responses to ping requests by the central server. Version upgrades have been a challenge for us due to our environment.

We had no issues with scalability and it was one of the main features that lead us to CrashPlan to begin with. Our deployment has been able to grow with us with no problems.

They have excellent documentation on their platform but their site search is challenged. They actually recommend using Google to search their site to find the support documentation. Their live support has been excellent with fast response times and quick accurate answers to issues.

They get high marks from me on support; 9 out of 10 (no one gets a 10 out of me for support). They are fast and responsive to problems, especially those where it is mostly my fault to begin with. They keep on top of their issues with frequent requests for updates on the issues and their solutions to them.

We switched from a fragmented hodge podge of different systems for different offices based on availability and suitability for that office. Moving to a single endpoint solution greatly reduced our management time and weekly reports keep us on top of any changes or problems.

Setup was mostly straightforward. We did have some issues with AD integration, but were able to get those resolved quickly. It took some time for us to understand the order of file inclusion and exclusion getting applied. The rule of thumb is exclusions run last so whatever you have in exclusions will never be backed up. We were trying to include a folder inside of a folder that we had excluded and could never get it to back up. We had to very carefully tailor the rules to get exactly what we wanted.

We deployed using an in-house team although a vendor team was available. We had done extensive work during our trial phase, so going live with that was relatively easy. Converting from the trial to live was so easy for us that it really was just a matter of applying the license key and then installing the clients on computers and storage servers.

We have saved $1000s and a whole lot of time recovering from cryptoware infections and data recovery that, with the old system, would have resulted in data loss or having to pay the ransom.

Know your environment. Budget extra licenses to cover cold storage of inactive users to cover your data retention policies. We keep data for six months to a year after an employee has left the organization; this consumes a license.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated several: Retrospect, Carbonite, Baraccudaware, and Data Protection Manager. None were as flexible in architecture or pricing. CrashPlan's flexibility was the main selling point for us as we have some unique requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This is an endpoint backup solution. Do not look to them for server or database backup; that is not what they excel at. Laptops and desktops where you need user files only is what this product is designed for. We have trialed them for file servers but found that larger amounts of files or archive sizes (multi-terabyte and millions of files) cause problems with their system.

Senior Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
It allows us to bring an enterprise level backup and recovery solution over to our small business.

What is most valuable?

Crashplan allows us to bring an enterprise level backup and recovery solution over to our small business. The self service restore is the best feature of the product, besides "just working". It allows us to run in hybrid mode, some backups to our local devices and others to the cloud. Its VERY simple to setup and manage.

How has it helped my organization?

It has taken some of the burden off of the internal IT staff to help restore "accidentally" deleted files. The dashboard allows a quick and simple view to verify that all of the backups are running as necessary.

What needs improvement?

It's really hard to improve a software that is already great. They recently have added the legal hold, which allows our administrators to place a simple hold on files that need to be versioned.

200+

I ran into a small issue when setting up the LDAP authentication scheme into our Active Directory. It wanted a different syntax than the one directly provided from the AD strings.

No issues with stability, only that the console loses connection to the off-site backup maybe once a week for 2-3 minutes.

No issues with scalability. Add licenses, add storage and you're good to go. Adding new nodes, and licenses to users is very simple.

Customer service is great. They preemptively reached out to me once the order has been submitted to make sure that if I have any questions, I have a technical resource to go to.

Technical support provisioned the licensing and provided me a step by step guide to get it imported and active in the software. It also showed how to assign the cloud licenses directly to one user, or an entire group.

Previously used Roaming profiles which caused issues all the time with our windows/mac environment. This software is well worth the price to prevent issues from arising.

Software was very simple to deploy. Changing a few variables on the install and then adding the datastore. Pushing out clients was very easy with an MSI deployment.

Implemented through an in-house team. The only part which was a bit tricky was the AD/LDAP integration. The automated reports and monitoring are a click away.

Cannot fully speak to the ROI at this point. We will know more at 180 days.We estimate the cost of the software will save us 3 hours per file restore in lost work.

The product isn't free, but the value that is given with the software functionality is top of the line. They don't nickel and dime based on things you want to accomplish.

We evaluated a few desktop software like carbonite, but they didn't have the functionality for the price that CrashPlan offers.

What other advice do I have?

White glove support, user serviceable restores, automated report scheduling and a fantastic dashboard put this above the rest.

it_user434397IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees

Great review. Covered all the bases.

Desktop Services Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Allows our IT staff to troubleshoot and restore data to machines that may have un-recoverable data due to damage.

What is most valuable?

Endpoint monitoring and data backup from Code42 and their software Crashplan has been a great piece of software for our organization, allowing our IT staff to troubleshoot and restore data to machines that may have un-recoverable data due to damage makes it significantly easier.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization is able to have peace of mind when it comes to data protection. IT is now able to verify that information is backed up at all times, and send reminders if a machine hasn't been backed up in a set amount of days.

What needs improvement?

The software itself is really pretty great. From time to time, you will see issues with the software not connecting to the on-premise server, or the client crashes on a users machine. But with any software, these things happen.

6 months

I wasn't at my company when the software was deployed, but from what I have heard and what I've seen deploying updates, it's a straightforward and simple process with little or no downtime.

Like I said earlier, no major issues with stability other than the one off's from users clients on their machines. Great software.

We haven't ran into issues scaling the software in our organization. We add new users frequently, and its an easy thing to do.

The customer service at Code42 has always been top notch. They know how to talk to their clients and understand that they're dealing primarily with IT Pros.

The technical support that is offered is great. Dealing with them via chat is the easiest way for any body to troubleshoot an issue. And they have a ticket system that allows you to just submit issues and have them follow up with you.

I am not aware of any previous solutions used here at my company, since we've only used CrashPlan since I started.

Was not present for the implementation of the software, but setup of the Clients is easy and straightforward. Could not be any simpler than logging in.

In House team. We manage the solution as well in house. It's a very simple process that the admin console lends a hand to.

The largest return on investment that we see is peace of mind from our users knowing that all of their information is safe if something were to happen.

Like with any software, if you need to test to make sure the solution is right for you, do a test run. Then figure out the amount of licenses you'll need.

Code42's CrashPlan has been implemented since before I started at my company. I'm not sure if there were any other contenders.

What other advice do I have?

Code42's CrashPlan is a great backup solution, and should be considered the best in class for enterprise backup solutions.

Sr. Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Configurable backup locations allow us to gather non-standard data locations.

What is most valuable?

Configurable backup locations allow us to gather non-standard data locations. Other cloud syncing solutions require the enduser to store all documents in a specific location which means lost data.

How has it helped my organization?

By consolidating backup solutions and standardizing on CrashPlan we were able to better secure our data by using a DLP solution while still insuring all of our mobile data is backed up

What needs improvement?

At this time the solution seems to fit our needs nicely. I do not have any areas that I feel need improvement. Product is easy to use and deploy

4 years

We initially had some issues with the configuration and setup for a large deployment. Code 42 stepped in and assisted with the setup and deployment which led to a success.

At this time we have not encountered any stability issues with the client application or the administration portal. This gives us confidence in our client backups

After starting with a relativity small deployment we were able to scale up with only minimal additional configuration required. Most was related to geographical differences from the original deployment.

The customer service has always been great from Code42. They have helped us with initial configuration and setup, deployments, and post deployment support.

The technical support has been equally great. Code42 support is always very quick to response and provide solutions. Support staff is always polite and easy to work with.

Previously we had many different backup solutions deployed across different businesses and geographical area. That made for a very insecure and inconsistent experience for our endusers.

Although the initial setup was complex with a global reach and multiple policies for different business unit, Code42 stepped in to assist with the setup which helped make it straight forward.

We implemented through an in-house team with assistance from Code42. Given the relatively small nature of our deployments compared to others we have completed this was all we required.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to give accurate information about our ROI with CrashPlan. I would need to engage several different teams to obtain the accurate numbers.

I'm not sure I can provide any advise about cost or pricing with this solution. I was mostly involved with the packaging and deployment after the solution was selected and purchased.

I wasn't directly involved in the evaluation of backup solutions, though I do know that we tested several including Symantec and Mozy. I'm sure there were others as well.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion the CrashPlan solution is best of breed for a corporate data backup solution. It is very stable and easy to work with. The great support and service from Code42 is also a great feature of the product.

Technical Support Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
It backs up silently and barely prompts the user for anything.

Valuable Features:

It backs up silently and barely prompts the user for anything.

Improvements to My Organization:

When doing a computer replacement, we restore the data on the new laptop just by having the user log in to Code42.

Room for Improvement:

The login screen for customers could be improved, I find that the white and grey could be hard to read for some customers depending on the brightness of their screens.

This is a review for the design, the login screen has a white background and the text is grey, I've seen it hard to read on some monitors because the text can be barely visible.

Network and Database Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is a set it and forget it application that administrators don't even notice running on their computers.

What is most valuable?

CrashPlan is a set it and forget it application that administrators don't even notice running on their computers. They know it is but in the background and from anywhere...what's not to love.

How has it helped my organization?

Restoring files to admin machines and file servers are not a concern thanks to CrashPlan. CrashPlan is a set it and forget it application that administrators don't even notice running on their computers. ...what's not to love.

What needs improvement?

Upgrade process a bit time consuming, but worth the time. Once you have the backup strategy working you don't really need to touch anything. Once in a while a client will lose contact. We have not figured out why. However, the backup usually kicks back in the next day without touching the client.

4 years +

No. We were noobies and were able to implement on our two campuses without issue. CrashPlan support is awesome and helped us iron out connectivity wrinkles.

No. We were noobies and were able to implement on our two campuses without issue. CrashPlan support is awesome and helped us. We are so very thankful for the stability and reliability that Code42's CrashPlan offers us.

No. We are a small organization. We have two campuses about a mile from each other. We implemented one campus and then moved to the other. We encountered no issues adding servers and administrator computers to the organizations presence on CrashPlan's servers.

We were noobies and were able to implement on our two campuses without issue. CrashPlan support is awesome and helped us. We are so very thankful for the stability and reliability that Code42's CrashPlan offers us. The Customer support offered is outstanding. I would rate the customer support a 10 out of 10!!!!

We were noobies and were able to implement on our two campuses without issue. CrashPlan support is awesome and helped us. We are so very thankful for the stability and reliability that Code42's CrashPlan offers us. The Customer support offered is outstanding. I would rate the technical support a 10 out of 10!!!!

We used Symantec Back Up Exec. It was cumbersome to navigate. We have no tapes or hard disk back ups on campus any longer. We've moved to Code 42's CrashPlan for file servers, media servers, administrator laptops.

The initial set up was smooth. As mentioned, we were noobies and were able to implement on our two campuses without issue. Set up / installation was simple. We are a small staff and the network was easy for us.

We have an in-house team. Our level of expertise is higher now that we've worked with CrashPlan employees and understand the rationale behind the way the product is supposed to and intended to function.

I would advise all companies and institutions to purchase a few more licenses than you think you'll need. The licenses are inexpensive. Have a good inventory of what you plan to protect.

We moved away from a local disk and tape backup solution to Code42's CrashPlan. I looked at other cloud storage outfits and CrashPlan is the most personal and friendly company to work with. They are also one of the least expensive.

IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
We're able to change settings on the fly and push them to the remote end user immediately.

What is most valuable?

Set it and forget it, remote dashboard, remote configuration.

The ability to change settings on the fly and push them to the remote end user immediately. Allows multiple configuration groups or child organizations for backup settings. Each set independently of the parent organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Remote users had external hard drives and used the windows file/ image backup. The user had to be involved in the setup and maintenance of the backup. There was no way to centrally monitor the backups or even what files were being backed up.

What needs improvement?

Admin notification of changes made by end users. Logs of who made the change to configuration and when.

Dashboard overview to include what devices aren't at 90% or above complete.

The GUI doesn't always show the most current settings upon opening a screen.

3 months

We had to do some digging to find a link that could be embedded into finding a link for the software download.The

Only issues were settings that seemed to change on their own. This was caused by the GUI not always presenting the actual current configuration. he

No issues with scalability. I have changed several backups to include more and larger files. The only issue is the time to get the backup completed. Most of this is on our end because of a limited internet bandwidth connection.

Customer service has been great. When setting up child organizations the first time I moved my profile to a lower child organization. Had to get tech support involved to move me back up. This

Customer support is technical support as far as I have noticed. The only time I had to be routed to someone else was a rights issue. Chat function is very quick way to get a problem solved. Always got a native English speaking person. Very advance notice of any outages and in depth explanation of what functions will be affected.

We used backup exec ans the windows embedded backup software. Neither of these offered an truly cloud backup. It always required someone to carry the backups offsite.

Both of these were very hard to centrally manage for remote users that don't get to the home office often.

A dedicated customer engineer was assigned to us for the initial setup. He was very knowledgeable of the entire product. He basically walked me through the setup of the organization and configurations. He was willing to take as much time as was needed to set us up.

We implemented through an in-house team. Documentation was created for the remote installs that included screen shots and embedded links for software downloads.

ROI was immediate since we didn't have any way to monitor remote users backups. was able to recover accidentally deleted files within the first week. The files would have taken days to recreate at a significant man hour expenditure.

The minimum of 50 users seems to exclude a lot of small companies that could truly use this type of backup. I'm guessing these companies could still use the "personal" version but wouldn't get the central dashboard function.

We looked at several different cloud based backups. There is a n article about the 5 best cloud based backups for nonprofits that helped with the decision.

What other advice do I have?

It seems the best pricing can be gotten at the end of the quarter. But I think that is the same with any sales organization.

Marketing Guru at a security firm with 51-200 employees
The file versioning is fantastic and provides excellent protection against ransomware-style malware, and the ability to control your own encryption keys.

What is most valuable?

The file versioning is fantastic and provides excellent protection against ransomware-style malware, and the ability to control your own encryption keys and push data offsite to the Code42 cloud using your own encryption makes this a full-featured system at an affordable price.

How has it helped my organization?

Our office was located in an area that was prone to hurricanes, flooding, and tornadoes prior to moving not too long ago and we have experienced data loss due to natural disasters. We're also a smaller organization, which limits some of the more complex management capabilities (Active Directory, GPOs, etc.) that can be used to control machines. We end up with ransomware infections as a result and Crashplan gives us a way to get our work back without loss and ensure that data loss due to natural disasters is a thing of the past.

What needs improvement?

The only area of improvement/complaint that I have is that the system is a bit too aggressive during the initial backup - it starts backing up files to the Code42 cloud almost immediately after installation without giving you an option to pick the files to be backed up first. It's easy to correct, but it can be annoying if you don't want the default selections to be backed up.

We've been on Crashplan for just over a year now.

We had no issues with the deployment or usage, it went fast and smooth. The system is well designed and the UI is intuitive and easy to navigate.

Our Crashplan install has been rock-solid, we've yet to experience any real issues (knock on wood). I have no reason to think that will change though, we've done several upgrades since we started and Crashplan only seems to get better.

We're a small organization, so scalability has never been an issue or area we've focused on and I don't expect it to be for some time. I don't foresee any potential issues though.

We've never really interacted with customer service as the licensing and renewals can all be done through the Code42 website.

The few times we've had to interact with customer support, it has been fantastic. These guys really know their product and it shows.

Not really, we had experimented with Mozy and Carbonite, but Crashplan impressed us with the intuitive UI and impressive feature list.

The setup was simple, basically Next, Next, Next, Finish. There's nothing major to configure and most of the out-of-the-box settings are already optimal.

We handled the setup, installation, and configuration of Crashplan fully in-house as our installation was very small and our needs were not complex.

We do not measure this so it's difficult to say, however, we have dealt with ransomware and fully recovered our data without paying it, so there's definitely an ROI to be had.

The Code42 website is very transparent with the pricing and licensing, there's not much to explain. The only thing we've ever come across that needs a little clarification is that each user license is for four devices.

We tried out Mozy and Carbonite, but chose Crashplan because of it's feature list and simplicity. It just worked and worked well.

What other advice do I have?

This is a full-featured backup solution with a straight-forward licensing system and affordable pricetag. It's highly recommended for organizations both big and small.

BIM Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

The ability to restore files from a specific date and time is the feature that I like the best. The software de-duplicates so we are able to store multiple versions without taking much more space.

How has it helped my organization?

With this software I have been able to easily restore files from several months ago that have since been changed. This is very helpful if the client changes their mind and wants to go back to a previous design and we forgot to save a copy of it before modifying the design.

What needs improvement?

The support documents, although very thorough - can take a long time to readthrough. I would often prefer a simplified version

Over 3 years.

The Crashplan support team was able to get us up and running very quickly. I didn't have any trouble with the initial deployment.

There are some key settings to increase the amount of memory that Crashplan can utilize that will help with stability. Also the frequency that you scan files.

We have not encountered any scalability issues with our installation. It is capable of way more than we are asking of it.

The purchasing process was very pleasant. All of my questions were answered. There were no surprises. Everyone that I have dealt with has been very courteous.

I normally have great experiences with technical support. When you can get a support person to look at your log files, you can typically solve the problem pretty quickly. Most of the problems that i have encountered have been caused by drive failures.

Tape backups were taking too long. They were not reliable. We were not able to restore files quickly. We didn't have the version history that we desired.

I have configured Crashplan at my home without any trouble at all. At work, I enlisted the support team to help me configure our setup because I needed to be sure it was done correctly. They saved me a bunch of time

I implemented Crashplan Pro E with the help of the Code42 support team. Their experience was exceptional. I remember telling everyone that would listen how great the software was.

This is a strange question. This software is much less expensive than all others that I considered. Because we are using Crashplan, I have been able to restore data that would have cost a fortune to recreate.

Ok, this is getting silly. Why so many questions? They can do their own research on pricing. For me, the pricing was reasonable and the licensing was acceptable.

I used Metiix previously. It was essentially rebranded Crashplan software. It was effective much more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to all other backup solutions that I have encountered, Crashplan is a pleasure to use. It is very simple, yet very powerful. Stop reading these reviews and try it for yourself. You won't be sorry.

Technology Support Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
The most valuable features for us are the training and support they provide, as well as ease of backup from the product.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features for us are the training and support they provide, as well as ease of backup from the product.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's allowed us to recover files that we weren't able to recover before.

Room for Improvement:

It's a bit thick, so it takes time for admins to utilize full capabilities of the product. What I mean is that in Photoshop, for example, it's a huge program and for admins under the hood it can take weeks to really sort through all the functions and capabilities. There is extensive documentation though and help is just a chat box away, so you can get through it. It just takes time for admins to learn all the ins and outs of the program, but like Photoshop it's worth it

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

TSS with 1,001-5,000 employees
Deployment is automation-friendly and the integration with LDAP for access control management is seamless. But, rarely, and only on OS X, the backup agent would need to be stopped and re-installed.

What is most valuable?

The way that CrashPlan provides file versioning is stellar, and the client for backing up and restoring is intuitive. CrashPlan has the flexibility to either host your backup server in the cloud or let you host it on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

CrashPlan has placed the power of backup and restore back into the hands of the user and greatly lessened the time it takes to associate a user with their own backups and revision history.

Deployment of CrashPlan is extremely automation-friendly and the integration with LDAP for access control management is seamless.

What needs improvement?

I believe most of this has been ironed out, but I have previously hit a few snags in the client deploy-upgrade process with the customized backup agent. Recent deployments of the backup agent have gone smoothly.

1 year.

The deployment process is very intuitive and integration friendly. The CrashPlan admin interface pulled all the details from our Active Directory without pause.

On a rare occasion, the backup agent on a client machine would need to be stopped, removed, and re-installed. This has only happened on the OS X platform.

Because CrashPlan allows for both a cloud-hosted model and an on-premise solution, scaling our installation of 300+ computers is going smoothly.

I haven't had to deal much with their customer service, but they have always been prompt, professional, and able to solve my issues.

CrashPlan Technical Support is absolutely outstanding. They know the product very well and are always able to provide prompt solutions or follow-ups.

There was no full-featured backup solution (ie: complete file revision history and on-demand restores) in place at the time that CrashPlan was chosen.

I actually enjoyed many facets of the deploy process because of its simplicity. The package customization process, specifically, is very intuitive.

Because the deployment of CrashPlan was so simple, intuitive, and generally a fast process, it was conducted by an in-house team.

Having an enterprise backup solution in place instead of relying on odd one-off solutions, such as time machine, easily saves $20,000+ in desktop support and admin time a year.

Give them a shout -- CrashPlan is definitely willing to work with you on pricing given your organization type (ie: non-profit or government sector).

I did have the privilege of evaluating a potential competitor -- BackBlaze.The enterprise features were just not mature enough compared to CrashPlan.

What other advice do I have?

The free version of the CrashPlan client actually comes in handy free personal use or when there is an odd machine which needs to be backed up off-site.

Information Technology, Parts Sales at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
It has Continuous backup, cross-platform deployment, ease of recovery, flexible storage destinations, low CPU footprint.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

I no longer need to worry that a user has manually postponed backup operations or that backups will cause a slowdown or other interference with my users' workflow.

What needs improvement?

25-license minimum needlessly shuts out small business users, support for desktop and mobile Safari browsers needs work.

3 years.

None whatsoever. It took less than half an hour to install the server, and about 20 minutes installation per endpoint.

None. I've never had a stability issue with CrashPlan. (IT Central Station requires a longer answer here, bafflingly, but there's nothing more to say here. I haven't experienced any stability issues. Period.)

Again, IT Central Station requires a longer answer here, but really the answer is once again a simple "no". I've used PROe in a larger environment as well as the current small office, with zero issues.

Great. I've barely needed any, but when I have, they've been very responsive. (Once again, I need a longer answer, but there isn't one. This field should probably just be a numeric scale...?)

Also perfect, the few times I've needed to contact them.

(Really, IT Central Station, if you ask us to rate the level of technical support, and it's good, why do you need a wordy answer?)

Client was previously relying on each user to back up their own system on an ad hoc basis, using Windows Backup, Time Machine, or drag and drop. This was not sustainable.

Extremely straightforward. I've installed on Linux (~30 minutes) and on OS X Server (~20 minutes), both are

One person in-house. I cannot imagine CrashPlan requiring much of an implementation team even in larger environments, it's bone simple.

This isn't a metric we calculate or track for our small business.

Hey look, I have to pad this answer to 120 characters too! Is it 1997? Perhaps it is.

This is my only major issue with Code42 at this point. They have an excellent codebase, and a product which has been enormously useful for my small business clients, but they have changed their licensing plans to sell their private cloud product only in quantities of 25 or more licenses. This essentially shuts out small businesses entirely, relegating them to Code42's home-oriented cloud service—the use of which would violate data protection agreements for small businesses which store theft-relevant information, and which requires mass cloud uploading via broadband services which are often glacially slow for uploads.

CrashPlan PROe was formerly a sales driver for me in recommending my small business clients purchase their own servers for PROe backup, but I can no longer make that recommendation for smaller clients given these licensing limitations.

It's especially difficult to understand why this decision was made considering clients using private cloud backup present a *lower* overhead for Code42. It's very strange, and not confidence-inspiring.

Yes, probably too many to list. The free options were overly labor-intensive or unreliable, and the other commercial options seemed topheavy or overly dependent on a certain server architecture.

What other advice do I have?

I'd encourage even smaller businesses to contact Code42 and express interest in purchasing CrashPlan PROe licenses. It's simply the best option out there for multiplatform continuous backup, and I would like to think that the developers would prefer market penetration even in the small business sector to the marginally higher projection stability of higher-volume licensing.

Senior Security Engineer - Systems Management at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It has efficient processor and bandwidth utilization and clean, straightforward interface and reliable backups. No unusual issues.

How has it helped my organization?

It was more cost effective than our previous solution, a better endpoint experience and back-end was much better work with. Everyone has been very happy with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Quite simply, considerations for security, that have made huge strides in this area. Endpoint backup really should be done with DLP and legal hold considerations and Crashplan is all over this.

2 years

Very easy deployment. Two techs trained, but only one was actually needed. The system came up very quickly and the client deployment went very well.

Zip, nada, none, non-existent, no issues, very stable. It was great to have such a successful implement. Nothing dragged out in the deployment.

No issues with scalability. Customization on the back end was all we needed and they worked closely with us to accomplish what we needed. Was refreshing to have them acknowledge that what we were doing with them would benefit other customers as well.

I won't even bother rating them because they are in in a class of their own. Truly a wonderful organization to work with.

I would rate the level of technical support above average. Everyone at Code 42 was great to work with. This is an excellent organization.

The old system was gasping for air in every aspect you could imagine. The company had been sold twice and when we left they were still in transition flux.

It was straightforward to install and setup. The client is not bloatware and the backend is modern and clean. No unusual performance issues.

We implement with in-house staff. We used assistance from Code 42 staff with developing some reporting capability that was on in the default set.

Improvements in cost, efficiency and user experience. ROI was very good, probably in multiples compared to the previous product.

Pricing is excellent, it's really not too good to be true. That was our initial concern, but the proof was in how well it tested. Kick the tires, it's worth it.

Yes, we looked at Mozey and one other solution as well. We were moving from what had been the number one provider in this space for about a decade.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the company and the product. Code 42 is a great company with a bright future. The development team is nothing short of amazing.

Dell KACE Advisory Board Member at a tech company with 10,001+ employees

What is most valuable?

Restores are amazing and almost fun to do - ransomware is a thing of the past with Crashplan. We don't worry about if a machine is worth backing up anymore or needing to assess the value of its data, it's a yes answer now.

How has it helped my organization?

Crashplan allows us to use our own storage and as much of it as we want, so it's basically a set it and forget it platform for backup. No longer are we assessing the value of the data on each machine to decide if it should be backed up, we just drop the agent and let it go, we've got plenty of back-end storage.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have any suggestions for improvement, this is a great platform. If anything, make integrating cloud storage a little bit easier - I'd love to be able to choose the close I'm going to push to, but it's hard to find instructions for doing that.

We've been using PROe for four years now.

No issues, though we started with Crashplan Home, then went Pro, then went PROe before we found our niche. We've been on PROe now for almost 4 years.

We've had an issue every once in a while with upgrades, but a quick email to support has always fixed it. Those guys know their software backwards and forwards.

No scalability issues, though our install is one server, one storage backend, and a small environment. We had our own storage and server ready, so nothing major was encountered.

Absolutely fantastic, A++++ Would buy from again! ;) I don't really have anything else to say other than these guys are great, but this has to be 120 characters.

I can't say enough about these guys, they know their software and they are more than willing to share and explain what happened to cause issues and how to fully resolve them. These guys are amazing!

We have three solutions in place, Crashplan is one of them. Crashplan is our 'anything and everything' solution, for any system that is non-critical or just probably should be backed up. We use another appliance-based system for critical backups and pushes those off to a cloud service, and then we use another dedicated system that shares the Crashplan storage for virtual servers.

It was very simple and straightforward, though we did end up using all three versions before we found the right one. Home, Pro, and PROe - we're on PROe now. It was a case of we wanted more features, not complexity issues.

We used our own expertise in-house to install it, no issues were experienced, though our storage is from a network share and Crashplan did not want to backup to a NAS, so we had to trick it by mapping the CP storage as iSCSI and giving it to CP as a drive letter instead. Has worked perfect ever since.

No data lost to ransomware in 4 years. Can't put a price on that. Got hit with CryptoTesla on a business office share two weeks ago - 3 clicks and 20 minutes later, no data lost.

I don't really have much to say there, it's pretty straightforward. They list it on their website, though they did change the licensing model about two years ago and made it a little more complex/simple. I liked it the old way, but now I like it the new way. Go figure.

Yes, and we still use other systems for other purposes. Crashplan was purchased to fill a gap that the others weren't right for.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the storage space available and a need to back up multiple machines, Crashplan is a no-brainer almost.

IT Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It works with multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux.

What is most valuable?

Multiplatform. We're challenged everyday since our employees started using Windows, Mac and Linux. It's not easy to find a solution that will work on all computers.

How has it helped my organization?

You may think that backups are only for hard drive failure or file deleting, but don't forget computer stealing. Also, versioning helps employees recovering hard work.

What needs improvement?

They may need to add more features since Google Drive and Dropbox are getting into more and more markets. People don't use traditional backup anymore.

More than 3 years

It was a very straight forward deployment without any issues. The only challenge was to not forget any computer. We didn't have any software deployment tools.

The service stopped working once after an upgrade, but the support did fix it very easily. It was a Java version issues. Since it is running java, the certificates didn't work at first.

Nop. You create groups, and add disk spaces. If you are self-hosting the server you may have bandwidth issues with too many client computers, but with the cloud, no worry.

Awesome. They listened to me and helped reached my goal. They develop a backup software, not a text editing. They understand that data is important.

Awesome. The guy that I reach fixed my issues without having to escalate hundred of times. He did a remote control session and walked thru the errors.

We used Microsoft Data Protection Manager before, but it was Windows Only, and it was pretty hard to backup off-site computers.

Straightforward. You take a computer, install the server application, and public the port. Everything else can be done by the end users without issues.

In-house only. It is easy to deploy, so you don't need any help. You may think about it if case of a very large deployment in a short time window.

Data is hard to value, but every time you restore a file, or a whole computer, you understand how it is important to do computer backups.

It is not cheap. Pricing can get hard to understand, and they don't do perpetual licenses anymore. You need to value your data in a per month perspective.

CrashPlan was recommended and I was already using it at home, so the decision was very fast and easy. It was the best solution by the time.

What other advice do I have?

You may ask if you need a classic backup software or if a synchronization software like Google Drive or Dropbox may work better.

Contributing author at a media company with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features:

CrashPlan, in general, is a great tool to have because backups are essential. The service is easy to use, easy to maintain, and easy to recover files if things go wrong. The service is reasonably priced, but you won't even consider the cost if something goes wrong and you need your files back. Recommended. I use CrashPlan at home and at work.

Improvements to My Organization:

Allows easy recovery of data, and that's the most important part.

Room for Improvement:

The GUI could use improvement, but generally it's fine.

Use of Solution:

I've used the home solution for two years now. I have over 1.5TB stored on their servers.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Sim Tech Lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It constantly monitors for changes and can back up over any internet connection, making it ideal for those organizations with a large mobile workforce that rarely "comes in" to connect.

What is most valuable?

The endpoint backup component (the primary feature) is second to none. It does exactly what it's supposed to and it does it quickly, quietly, and efficiently. It is a dream come true for IT professionals looking to secure their users' local data. The fact that it constantly monitors for changes and can back up over any internet connection makes it ideal for those organizations with a large mobile workforce that rarely "comes in" to connect to traditional network shares.

How has it helped my organization?

As above, it has allowed us to confidently and reliably secure the local data for our mobile users who rarely come into an office to connect to the network shares.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see a little more flexibility in the reporting from the admin console. That is being highly touted in the newer versions, though. This criticism may be resolved when we upgrade soon.

Almost 3 years

The only issues we encountered during initial pilot deployment centered around LDAP sync for user authentication, but vast improvements have been made to that LDAP sync functionality in subsequent releases. We have not had those issues for some time.

We have not encountered any issues at all with stability. This product has been as reliable as you could hope for. It's the ultimate "set it and forget it" solution for backup and much more.

Once we proved our case and began preparing to ramp up deployment, we made the switch over to a Code42 Managed Appliance to replace our internal VM Master Server. We were told that server performance with a VM was likely to suffer around 500+ users.

We have had positive and infrequent interactions with customer service, which is always a good sign. For questions/issues that are not pressing needs, their online ticketing system is sufficient and we generally get 1 reply per day. For serious concerns, their phone support is quick to respond.

The Code42 Customer Champions have been knowledgeable in our few dealings with them. They will bring in colleagues to assist, as needed. They are also persistent and will continue to troubleshoot diligently for more complex issues until a resolution is reached.

Our previous backup solution for local files was external hard drives and scheduled backups. This is highly flawed if the user is not attached to it at the time the task is scheduled. CrashPlan solves that problem by always running (or on a set schedule) whenever an internet connection is present.

The initial setup was not very complex for our deployment. Our assigned engineer walked our systems team through the configuration, we pushed the clients out and they began connecting with little fuss.

We had a Code42 engineer assigned to us to assist with the configuration of the VM and the installation of the environment. After we installed a client and confirmed connectivity, we were able to take it from there and pretty much self-teach.

I am not the person to generate exact figures, but our users find the peace of mind to be priceless when they know their work is safe if/when things do happen.

Once we made the decision to do a large scale deployment, we received a significant discount for buying a large set of licenses.

There was another product on the table during Code42 evaluation, but I was not on the team at that time, so I cannot comment on this point.

What other advice do I have?

We could not be more pleased that we pulled the trigger on CrashPlan from Code42. It is the kind of solution that just works. There are a lot more features coming in pending releases, which we are excited to take advantage of.

Manager, IT at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
We're able to backup devices even when they don't come into the office on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

Being able to backup devices even when they don't come into the office on a regular basis. We can still monitor and know they are backed up.

How has it helped my organization?

IT spends less time monitoring and fixing backups and more time on other issues. We just check the dashboard once in awhile to make sure everything is still working as it should.

What needs improvement?

I would love to have an app on my phone to give me status updates on the backup system and push me notifications if something goes offline or has an issue so I wouldn't have to go look at the dashboard as much.

3 years. The first 2 years on the public cloud and least year using the private cloud option.

Deployment was a little slow due to the number of servers we needed but we were able to reuse existing servers and storage.

The product has been very stable and once we were running has been largely trouble free after the installation was completed.

We started off with 130 users and now are at 141. We add storage as we want to keep archives longer. It has been very easy to scale and add licenses as needed.

Customer service has been great with getting our license codes and getting up and running. Other than that we haven't had much contact with customer service, everything just works.

I haven't needed technical support from Crashplan as the system has been so reliable. I do sometimes lookup information in the knowledge base for guidance. They could make the installation documentation a little easier to follow.

Yes, we used Retrospect and we switched because Retrospect couldn't backup when computers were out of the office, and the system would frequently freeze and stop backing up devices and we would just have to delete and restart the backup.

It was a little complex due to our having 9 offices and a central console to manage all the sites. But we were able to work through it and it was worth it.

We used our own in-house team to deploy the product. Each member of the team took a couple of sites and we were up and running within two months and that was with all of our regular work and chasing down users to install the client and establish the backup.

Almost instant. Crash plan had the same annual cost as our Retrospect system and we were able to use existing hardware and storage. Once the deployment was done we had immediate time savings and reliability improvements.

The pricing model is fine and with the latest version they make it easy to add licenses as the company grows. I would like to see discounts as number of users increase to keep costs down.

Yes, we looked at BackBlaze, upgrades to Retrospect, TimeMachine, and several other solutions. Nothing I found did as much, worked cross platform, worked while mobile, allowed me to use my existing hardware and fell in at the same price point.

What other advice do I have?

It is worthwhile for any IT environment to deploy this solution. I haven't seen any environment where it wouldn't be beneficial.

Director of Information Systems with 501-1,000 employees
With central administration, we're able to see who isn't backed up before they lose data, but it needs improved reporting for backup progress.

Valuable Features:

Lightweight client, Version backups, Cloud and/or in-house repositories, Separate encryption key from data repository, Centralized Administration, ADFS authentication, Mobile App, Non-Windows platform support

Improvements to My Organization:

Numerous real world restorations on servers and laptops, central administration ensures we see who isn't backed up before they lose data.

Room for Improvement:

Improved reporting on backup progress. Re-scan shows how much data there is to scan for a backup, not how much data there is to backup (E.g. Scanning 1 TB drive may show 800 GB to 'backup' which means it is scanning 800 GB but may only find 10 MB of data that needs to be transmitted off the laptop to a backup destination).

Customer Support Analyst II with 501-1,000 employees
We have saved central storage space on our servers by having most individual user data be backed up through CrashPlan.

Valuable Features

I have enjoyed the seamless and automated nature of CrashPlan the best. I never have to worry about catastrophic issues for both myself and end-users when I know CrashPlan is installed.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

What would be great would be if they could improve the featur eset of the mobile application. Yes, I can review my backups from there and download them to my phone, however, what if it could do more. What about backing up the data on my phone and tablets? A secure backup of work related pictures and downloaded forms on organization-owned mobile devices would be great to have.

Use of Solution

3-4 years

Not really once the package was complete and tested. We rolled it out through Altiris. What I mean is that we have certain procedures for rolling out new software over our network. We had to create an installation script and properly test it to ensure it did not cause any problems. Code42 was very helpful with this and we did not really run into any problems.

Not really. Most issues are due to other computer related problems.

Very well. They are quick to respond to inquiries.

Very well. Responses to inquiries are detailed and easy to understand.

Other Solutions Considered

No. CrashPlan was already well known among many of the IT employees. We knew what it was capable of and only had to test how it fit into our specific environment.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's equally useful for file recovery or simply moving a user to a new computer.

What is most valuable?

Code42 has done a fantastic job creating a solid enterprise product that is easy to use, transparent to the end-users, and backed by a company that takes an active interest in the input of their customers.

Client backup products are not always without impact to end-point performance. CrashPlan's interface is simple and easy to use. Virtually no training is required for both end-users and administrators. Granted that backup is not an overly complicated process, but CrashPlan has refined the process better than the competition.

Whether using the on-prem or off-prem option, CrashPlan provides security and stability for your company's critical data.

How has it helped my organization?

Even with the trend of moving data to the cloud, end-point backup remains a critical necessity in the modern end-user computing environment. Systems fail, users delete data, users switch computers and things still go wrong and make backups a necessity.

CrashPlan is equally useful for file recovery or simply moving a user to a new computer. The best part of CrashPlan is that is just works. Its a solid, well-written product with great support that give users a sense of security about the data that keeps the business working.

What needs improvement?

My only real criticism with Code42, is that in the last year they have not focused sufficiently on the development of CrashPlan. I feel like they made a poor choice to focus too much on SharePlan, which was not something that was critical to their core business.

CrashPlan is also a bit behind the curve on features related to legal hold and e-discovery, but they are trending in the right direction.

Greater than 5 years

No. Code42 has a managed approach to the entire process. The software is easy to deploy to end user workstations and minimally impactful to system performance. The older versions did have Java dependancies that could be problematic, but those issues have largely been resolved.

Generally speaking, no. Both the server back-end and the client side are very stable. I think that it speaks a lot to Code42's commitment to quality engineering.

Generally speaking, no. Code42 is very easily scaled in the Enterprise. Our deployment is global and it has not been an issue to grow as needed. I think that this alos speaks a lot to Code42's commitment to quality engineering.

Code42's Customer service team gets a 10 out of 10 any day of the week. This team consistently goes above and beyond to make sure that all issues are taken care of in a timely, user-centric manner.

Code42's Techincal support team gets a 10 out of 10 any day of the week. This team consistently goes above and beyond to make sure that all issues are taken care of quickly. Their team's proactively alert us when their are issues and as a result, major issues have been averted.

No. We started out with a CrashPlan deployment as we had nothing in place prior. We needed a solution for this issue and selected CrashPlan as the solution.

Even though the initial deployment was to almost 1000 users, it was very straightforward. That is one of the selling points of CrashPlan is that it is very easy to configure and deploy.

We deployed in-house. The initial deployment as about 1000 users and even though we did it ourselves, it was fairly easy and straightforward.

The ROI with CrashPlan is that it has made the backup process seamless and saved countless users from losing data due to system failure or migrations.

I have not had the opportunity to discuss this with any colleagues. If I did, I would encourage them to work with the inside team to ensure that they were getting discounts commensurate with their long-term growth strategy.

No. CrashPlan was the clear industry leader and we decided that they were the best general match for our needs. Since we did not evaluate other options, there would not be much to add to this answer.

What other advice do I have?

Network Security Administrator at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
We're able to restore things that were wiped out either by design or "oops" equally easy, but in the beginning, we had a few issues with the Email Invites from the dashboard.

What is most valuable?

When the administrative assistant for a C-level executive calls you in tears because she just encrypted the executives guest list for his daughter's wedding, it suddenly becomes top priority. Having the ability to walk up a single flight of stairs, and select an easy-peasy restore point and save the day? Priceless.

How has it helped my organization?

Our infrastructure team is small and over-worked. When our Help Desk comes to us with fears that a President or Executive has lost their data due to human error or a virus, we never had that opportunity to shine before. With CrashPlan, we have a magic wand that restores things that were wiped out either by design or "oops!" equally easily.

What needs improvement?

In the beginning, we had a few issues with the Email Invites from the dashboard. Whether it was a result of how we stood up the product, or how it was communicating with the Cloud, we found that it was easier to deploy from within our own internal tool and walk our Users through configurations ourselves.

Since September 2015.

We preferred to deploy using SCCM instead of the Email Invitation function from the dashboard because we had complaints that the link didn't work.

We occasionally see an error where the clients cannot reach the Cloud, but that always resolves itself by the time the next Delta comes around.

We didn't see any issues with scalability, but I don't foresee that we would have any. We have a very small scope of users for this tool at the moment, but I hope to someday get the funding to roll it out to entire departments.

Fantastic! Calling Code42 for support is one of the easiest calls we ever have to make. It's way better than sitting on the line for Cisco or (ick) Microsoft support to "help" us.

We've only had to call technical support the once, but the experience was a positive one! They were courteous and efficient, and didn't waste time transferring us from one department to another like some front line help desks seem to.

We had discussed using a workstation backup solution in the past, but we had not optioned one. Code42 came to us by accident, and at the same time as we were getting hit with ransomware. It seemed like a natural fit.

The initial setup of the dashboard, and then of the clients was straightforward and very low stress. Once we got the deployment sorted out, we've never had a complaint!

We implemented CrashPlan with our internal Infrastructure team without any need for consultants or any outside assistance.

So far, for the investment made, we have saved the company tens of thousands of dollars from ransomware and human error.

I recommend the home version to everyone! And the enterprise version is a clear choice for anyone's company, even small businesses.

We didn't take the time to look at any other workstation backup solutions. We were so convinced about the security and effectiveness of CrashPlan, we started using it as soon as we got the demo!

What other advice do I have?

With a sound network engineer and the Code42 support, we were able to get the dashboard up and running in just a few hours. Since then, we have had great success with restoring and saving the day!

it_user266166 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user266166Director of Information Systems with 501-1,000 employees

We too chose to deploy Crashplan using an administrative tool that would also uninstall our previous endpoint protection solution. We also tightly managed the rollout to ensure that we only had a few users simultaneously running their initial backup seed, especially in the offices with smaller Internet pipes. The best was when Laptop users took theirs home for the weekend and backed up over their own broadband.

Senior Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
I like the low overhead of the desktop application, that it backs up on a set schedule, and that it can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

• Deployment of the application to a laptop and or desktop is seamless.
  • The dashboard is very easy to use and has useful information right on the main page.
  • I love the Unlimited Retention. I like the ability to throttle the backups so if you are on limited or metered bandwidth, it's not an issue.

How has it helped my organization?

I like the low overhead of the desktop application. I love the fact that it just backs up on a set schedule and can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

It's not available for iPads yet. As we have users that only have iPads, their data is not able to be backed up at this time. Have to resort to using iCloud.

We have been using this for over 6 months.

Setup was flawless. We turned up our server on a Ubuntu Server to allow low overhead and stability. We had some issues getting it tied to LDAP in the beginning, however that was quickly resolved.

We have had no issues with stability since our initial trial and since it's been in production. Upgrades to the newer versions were seamless and we had very little downtime.

We did not have any issues yet in scaling. We have 50 users here and have had no problems at all. We had straightforward setup and we have room to grow.

Technical support is amazing. They are always there and whether i am using email or picking up the phone they were there. Tech support was /is very professional and extremely knowledgeable. They take pride in their product

We did not have any solutions to compare to and chose Code42 because it just works. I'm glad we didn't use any other solution. It saved us time from ripping out another backup plan.

I installed and configured the server and deployment on my own. I did not feel the need to contract someone out to do this install. If I was to have any issues, I felt comfortable knowing that I could just pick up the phone and ask for assistance.

The ROI is priceless. Having the ability to restore data with very little downtime is hard to put a price tag on.

We did not look at any other vendors. They gave us a trial and we even got it extended due to not having enough cycles to put it thru its paces. They let you know what the benefits are for using the cloud vs a hybrid solution.

Senior Network Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
It just backs up on a set schedule and can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

I love the ability to integrate it into LDAP. The ease of use for deployment of the application to a laptop and or desktop is seamless. The dashboard is very easy to use and has useful information right on the main page.

How has it helped my organization?

Low overhead of the desktop application. I love the fact that it just backs up on a set schedule and can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.

What needs improvement?

Not available for iPads yet. As we have users that only have iPads their data is not able to be backed up at this time. Have to resort to using iCloud.

We have been using this for over 6 months.

Setup was flawless. We turned up our server on a Ubuntu Server to allow low overhead and stability. Had some issues getting it tied to LDAP in the beginning however that was quickly resolved.

We have had no issues with stability since our initial trial and since it's in production. Upgrades to the newer versions were seamless and very little downtime.

We did not have any issues yet in scaling. We have 50 users here and have had no problems at all. As for scaling it up or out we have not added to our License yet to add more users but its on the road map.

Customer service is amazing with Code42. Everyone is very willing to help and is very professional. They take pride in their product and see this as a value. There was virtually no hold time when contacting customer service at all.

Technical support is amazing. They are always there and whether I am using email or picking up the phone, they were there. Tech support was/is very professional and extremely knowledgeable. They take pride in their product

We did not have any solutions to compare to and chose Code42 because it just works. It is a wonderful relief to know that user data can be backed up to or restored from the cloud from anywhere there is an internet connection.

Setup was a breeze. The documentation was very straight forward and if you just follow the steps it just worked. I was concerned that most companies do not lean towards using Linux however they do.

I installed and configured the server and deployment on my own. I did not feel the need to contract someone out to do this install. If I was to have any issues I felt comfortable knowing that I could just pick up the phone and ask for assistance.

The ROI is priceless. Having the ability to restore data with very little downtime is hard to put a pricetag on. Knowing that a users data can be backed up to or restored from the cloud from anywhere there is an internet connection.

Pricing and licensing is pretty straight forward. You get what you pay for. I feel that everyone should be using and or at least testing this product before the purchase. They let you know what the benefits are for using the cloud vs. a hybrid solution.

What other advice do I have?

I love the Unlimited Retention. I like the ability to throttle the backups so if you are on limited or metered bandwidth its not an issue.

Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
I can now have my help desk workers restore files instead of those tickets coming to me. The unlimited backup has helped us restore files when users forget to tell us they are missing.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use interface
  • Easy to install the clients
  • Easy updates
  • Unlimited storage in the cloud
  • The choice to use the cloud or onsite storage is nice

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Integrate an antivirus into the client would be the only thing I could suggest as an improvement of this product.

3-5 years

The deployment went smoothly from the start. The install was easy to do and we even integrated this into our AD so we can use our domain logins.

We had one server that has tendency to make the client stop, but usually fixes itself if you give it a few hours. This server also has a lot of changes to the files being backed up, so that could be the issue.

We started off with a few more licenses than we needed so we would not need to buy anymore licenses for a while. It was cheaper to just get them upfront.

I have had to contact them several times on small issues and they have been quick to respond and help out. I don't even think I have had to be transferred to another tech when I call support.

Top notch. I have not had an issue with them helping me or getting back to me on my support issues. Most tickets I put in they answer within a few hours.

The reason for us moving over to CrashPlan was cost and retention. We saved the company $6000 a year using CrashPlan and no more "surprise, you are out of space" messages.

It was straightforward on the setup. We did have their professional services group help us with the install, but it did not take them that long to set it up and was around $500, which I did not think was a bad deal.

For the main server, we used Code42's professional services team and they were great to work with. The rest we did in-house.

Not sure how to measure this really. We save $6000 per year over what we used to use for our backup solution. With CrashPlan, we don't have any onsite equipment to maintain other than the virtual box we use as the main login server.

We did our licensing based on per user. This has been great for us because we can just add more licenses if we need to.

No, we did not evaluate other options because it was either this product or our existing product. CrashPlan won by a mile.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new backup solution, give them a shot. It will be well worth your time to evaluate this product.

Technical Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have no more worries when a customer PC breaks up, but we encountered an issue with the datastore implementation.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot valuable features such as:

You can make your own Private Cloud or use the Code42 public cloud.

A responsive and comprehensive web-UI to manage all your clients, users and backed-up computers.

End-point application for all kinds of OSs.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization has now a new service to sell and after some years we have a lot of satisfied clients.

Despite this, we have no more worries when a customer PC breaks up. Because we are sure of the reliability of the CrashPlan backups.

What needs improvement?

Less IT time and frustration to monitor and check the endpoint backups.

More time for the IT department to do some other activities.

Improved revenue.

About 2 years.

The deployment is very simple and very well documented on the CrashPlan website/youtube channel.

A very good support in case of an issue.

Yes, we encountered an issue with the datastore implementation.

We where using net share backup repository for the CrashPlan Pro-e server, which was an implementation not supported by Crashplan. In this case a lot of computers culd not backup their files.

But beside this (our fault) never encountered real issues in stability.

We have not so much computers in our CrashPlan server, so we never encountered issues in scalability.

We have about 90 computers and a quad core Xeon server with 8gb of RAM, the CPU and CAM consumption is always really low.

I had never the pleasure to hear the customer service because I work in the IT tech support.

But based on the level of technical support which is very good, I can bet to a positive customer service.

The technical support is very good.

The technicians are very competent and help the customer to solve the problem and provide solution in various scenario cases.

Yes, we used a lot of endpoint backup like Cobian, Uranium.

But there was nothing like CrashPlan, when you try a software like this it's difficult to come back.

The initial setup was not to difficult, it has taken some time to master the web UI functionality and problem troubleshooting. But thanks to the documentation and the tech support I solved every problem.

I implemented in our server farm. We have not implemented through a vendor team, because the have the right knowledge and skill to do this ourself.

With a simple server and storage, a good bandwidth and not so much time to spend on maintenance we have a very good ROI!

The licenses are not so cheap, but are also scalable to your number of customers.

The license includes also the tech support, which is really suggested in a software like this.

This was our first option and the only we tried at the time we decided to implement this kind of service.

We are satisfied with this software and I don't think we'll come along with other solution right now.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a reliable, private cloud, comprehensive endpoint backup solution CrashPlan is one of the best choices you can make!

Knowledge Manager/Technical Support Specialist at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
It has a small footprint and runs silently in the background. My customers don't even know it is there until they need it.

What is most valuable?

As an IT pro, this tool has saved my butt on multiple occasions. My customers are very adept at losing and destroying their laptops. Crashplan is great because it has a small footprint and runs silently in the background. My customers don't even know it is there until they need it.

How has it helped my organization?

Last week, within an hour, I had 8 customers walk in with laptops at arms length. They were all bluescreening and rebooting and bluescreening and.... It looked to be caused by a Windows update and after trying all the tricks, I resorted to re-imaging and restoring most of them.

What needs improvement?

Since the product works in the background and, so far, has been able to restore multiple versions of files, I don't see any need for improvement.

3 years in the Enterprise.

3 years as a personal customer.

I was not involved in the enterprise deployment, so I have no information on this.

No issues that I am aware of.

I have no information on this aspect.

I have had no need to contact customer service.

N/A

I have no information on this topic.

This was implemented through an in-house team.

I have no information on this topic.

What other advice do I have?

This has been the easiest, most reliable backup product I have ever used.

Owner/General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have had to use it several times to restore documents that have been lost for various reasons. The process was very simple to restore documents.

What is most valuable?

I think that my favorite feature is being able to restore from different times/versions of a document. This has come in very handy several times since we implemented.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I have not run across anything as of yet that I would improve on with this product. Everything that we have seen so far has been incredible.

2 years

I have not experienced any issues with deployment of this software with myself or any of my employees. It was a very smooth process.

No we have not experienced any issues with the stability of this software. Everything has been incredibly stable. No issues seen so far.

No, I have not encountered any issues with the scalability of this software. Everything has been great with this product. I have seen no issues so far.

The customer service for this company is spot on. They have always answered any questions in a timely manner.

I have not had to use the technical support services for this company. I would expect that it would be similar to the customer service we have received.

No I was not using any other solution before we started using Crashplan. We knew that we would need something after we ran into some issues that were difficult to recover from.

The initial setup was very straightforward and very easy to install. There were no problems. The process was very simple.

We implemented this in-house. There was no vendor team that helped with the implementation. One of my technicians implemented this and had no trouble.

I am not sure exactly what my ROI is. I think that the cost of this product is very affordable. It is a very inexpensive solution to what we needed.

I would advise everyone to look into this product to see if it fits their needs. The cost is definitely affordable. I would recommend it to anyone looking for this type of solution.

No, I did not evaluate any other options. There were several associates that I know that were using this product and very highly recommended it.

What other advice do I have?

I would only say that I could not recommend this product enough. It has delivered on everything it says it does. The cost is right, and it is very simple to use.

Helpdesk Technician at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
It provides data encryption at the source, but is too dependent on Java.

Valuable Features:

Lightweight client, version backups, in-house storage, data encryption at the source, Centralized Administration, Excellent customer support

Improvements to My Organization:

It has saved many users from the loss of hundreds of hours of work. The potential losses have come in many different forms, but Crashplan has been the safety net that management has mandated from our very early days. We continue to see viable returns on our investment.

Room for Improvement:

Hey, Code 42! Isn't it time that we lose the Java dependency??

it_user434397IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees

You forgot to mention the central management console.

Education Account Executive at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
My MacBook backs up automatically without my involvement, providing me with assurance that my data is secure and recoverable.

Valuable Features:

I am an end-user at an organization that uses CrashPlan PROe, and I can attest that my MacBook Air boots up quickly, with no lag or delay.

I've also met with some of the folks at Code42, and find them all to be very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. I recommend them frequently. Give them a call, if you're checking out backup/recovery solutions.

Improvements to My Organization:

I just love the security/safety of having my Mac backup automatically, without me having to think about or do anything to ensure my data is secure and recoverable. I travel frequently, and I can be pretty rough on equipment, moving from place to place in a hurry (don't tell my IT guys), so having backups that I don't have to think about is just great.

Server Advisor at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
We no longer have to use piecemeal procedures that failed more than it saved data, but its use of Java needs to be eliminated.

Valuable Features:

I really like that it backs up the second it knows where to go.

Improvements to My Organization:

We were using piecemeal procedures that failed more than it saved data. This has had a huge impact on our organization.

Room for Improvement:

Java needs to go away.

Desktop Services Specialist with 501-1,000 employees
The back-up process does not slow down systems because of a file scan-and-sync.

Valuable Features:

The CrashPlan PROe client app's ability to provide continuous, real-time backups by monitoring the file system allows data to be safeguarded almost immediately after it has been saved to the disk. The speed and efficiency allows my users to remain backed-up without having to think about how it is being done, or complain their system is running slow because of a file scan and sync.

Improvements to My Organization:

On several occasions staff members have had to open up CrashPlan PROe, log in and begin restoring files. There are numerous scenarios where this has happened. A keynote deck went missing, possibly trashed by accident, and it was recovered. A user had their laptop stolen and had to get back up and running on a new one right away: they fired up CrashPlan, selected the last backup of their missing laptop and restored everything to the original locations. I even used CrashPlan to recreate a system error I was researching by restoring the problem files after I had addressed them.

Use of Solution:

2+ years

Director of Information Technology with 1,001-5,000 employees
It backs up the files of users in the field automatically without them doing their own backups on USB drives.

Valuable Features

Ease of recovery by end users.

Improvements to My Organization

We used to use a LAN-based backup which required home-office use only. When the users went into the field and completed work, that work was always at risk. The users were supposed to do their own backups of the data on USB drives, but it was rarely done. Now, there is no question that the files are backed up.

Use of Solution

Four years

The deployment was smooth and easy.

None

Exceptional customer service. Always above and beyond.

Also exceptional.

The setup was quite easy. It was a Linux deployment that we have since moved to Windows.

Implementation Team

IT Manager with 51-200 employees
It allows for a set-and-forget backup process, but it should have the Java engine removed.

What is most valuable?

Set-and-forget (but email reports are available) backup process. It's hard to mess up the setup.

What needs improvement?

Removal of the Java engine would be fantastic.

1 year

I've never had a problem getting a hold of somebody within a few minutes if I had a question.

We used MozyPro previously. The per-GB charge was causing the price to skyrocket.

Infrastructure and Support Manager with 51-200 employees
End-user workstation backups are consistent and always running, but I'd like to see the ability to bulk clear alerts in the admin console.

What is most valuable?

Continuously automated with no end-user involvement.

How has it helped my organization?

End-user workstation backups are consistent and always running. Previously they were rarely completed correctly.

What needs improvement?

Would like to see the ability to bulk clear alerts in the admin console in a future release.

5 years

No issues with deployment at all.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Customer service is excellent!

Technical support is excellent!

In-house developed a backup application, but we switched because it was outdated and nowhere near as good as CrashPlan.

Initial setup was very easy.

Implemented via in-house team.

Pricing is reasonable for what it provides.

Avamar, Mozy, Carbonite

Infrastructure Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
95% of restores globally are self-service so that IT doesn't have to get involved. But, reporting is limited if not using the API.

What is most valuable?

Automated backups/restore and is easily implemented. There are always new features being released, which keeps us excited to use the product.

How has it helped my organization?

The main plus for us is 95% of restores globally are all self-service. Not having to have IT help out the users to get their data back is a huge plus.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is pretty limited if you are not using the API.

1 year

No issues. We had 2000 seats deployed in about 2 weeks.

We have had no issues for 1 year. Very stable product.

We have added 2 entire regions with ease after only having 1.

Customer service is always very easy to get a hold of and are very knowledgeable.

5 stars.

Yes, we used Connected backup. The system was abused after being passed around to different people and it got to a point where restores would be failing on compressed files. Mainly .pst files.

Very straight forward, it took no time for the solutions architect to throw something together for us.

We used an in-house tool to deploy, although any client upgrades come directly through the console.

Yes, we evaluated E-Vault as well as Druva.

Customer Support Technician with 501-1,000 employees
While it's not cheap and initial deployment issues notwithstanding, it cleans infections and losslessly restores data.

What is most valuable?

Restore function

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer worry about viruses like Cryptolocker or Cryptowall. If an infection happens, and it has, and will happen again, we don't experience data loss. The most time we spend is identifying the source of the infection. Servers are backed up with CrashPlan and users data is backed up with CrashPlan. We just clean the infection, restore the data and we are done.

What needs improvement?

Minimal to no data loss, and a lot of time saved as well as user peace of mind.

2 years

At first, but we got excellent assistance from top tier support at Code42 and all issues we resolved quickly.

Yes; unreliable

It is not cheap, but when you can restore thousands of hours of work without issue, it does not matter so much.

What other advice do I have?

CrashPlan is one of the top three software implementations I have ever been involved with in 15 years. It makes my job easier. It makes the users jobs easier. I have seen users almost break down and cry tears of joy because we were able to restore critical documentation with years of research so quickly. It makes us in IT support look good.

Assisstant Systems Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It eases the minds of our executive users when they are mobile.

What is most valuable?

Central management, easy to deploy and install, AD integration, set-and-forget because it just works.

How has it helped my organization?

CrashPlan has allowed us to ease the minds of our executive users when they are mobile. The software backs up and maintains their data from anywhere and the end users have access as well.

Going on 2 years.

Customer service is fantastic as they are very quick to respond and will help you out with any and every question.

Technical support is great as well. Their online documentation is perfect and answers nearly every question you could imagine.

It was very straightforward. Very simple to install: install the management console with some light configurations. Then install the agent on the endpoint and enter the account name and registration code and you're off.

it_user434397IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees

Hard to believe there was no previous backup solution. Not even the old tape units.

Manager, Internal Systems Support with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our mobile workforce has their valuable data protected with this easy-to-install solution.

Valuable Features

Seamless backup of our valuable data on mobile systems.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps protect our valuable data for our mobile workforce.

Use of Solution

At D+H we have used CrashPlan for 1 year.

None, it was very easy to install.

Excellent, no problems.

Student Technology Integration with 501-1,000 employees
Enterprise level migration is easy and seamless into an existing SSO, but some parts of the UI aren't very helpful for end users.

Valuable Features

• Client backup notification to alert people who have not backed up in a certain amount of time
  • Enterprise level migration is easy and seamless into an existing SSO

Improvements to My Organization

Client data recovery is possible without IT interaction for the savvy and medium savvy users, which lessens the load on our IT department.

Room for Improvement

CrashPlan deployment and integration with existing systems was easy, but the interface could be more helpful to non-tech savvy users. Especially in the education environment, we have many users that are not accustomed to the idea of cloud backup and have difficulty understanding what is happening and when it is happening. Some parts of the UI aren't very helpful in walking the end user through what is happening.

In the next release, I would love to see the ability to merge a personal account with an enterprise one. We have a few members of our staff or faculty who have existing CrashPlan accounts, and they have been unable to get the data backed up in these accounts to merge with their provided work account. I understand there may be differences in billing, etc., but it would be a helpful feature.

We have seen it as extremely scalable to this point in our environment.

10/10

Deploy really is simple, but it's true what everyone else is saying, the cost is prohibitive for some people without a fair amount of negotiating and bargaining.

Senior Manager, Enterprise Systems Management at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
We can back up frequently, not just once a day. However, the reporting feature could use improvement.

What is most valuable?

Internet-facing cloud solution, ability to back up frequently and not just once per day.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have more peace of mind when protecting our data.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

2 Years

Very high. The customer support folks we worked with were outstanding!

Superb! Every time we call they answer and are ready to help.

Yes. We didn't like the fact that our previous solution relied on VPN to work. It was also more intrusive and didn't back up with the frequency we wanted.

Very simple.

Vendor team and in-house team together. Professional services expertise was excellent.

Application Specialist–Advanced at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's proven to be a backup and restore solution that's unobtrusive, but they could reduce the price.

What is most valuable?

The mobile app allows my users to access files from their laptops, even when DR is not needed.

What needs improvement?

They could always reduce the price.

3+ years

We use JAMF and KACE to deploy. There have been no deployment issues.

Customer service from Code42 is top notch. I recently had one of their employees call me on his day off to check on an open case!

Yes, we used Carbonite. The product seemed to back up our files OK, but when it came time to restore, we were unimpressed. The restore was limited to 18GB per day. NO good when the VP has 600+GB to restore.

Setup could not have been much easier.

What other advice do I have?

Computer users do not back up their files. Or they back them up on external hard drives that they keep in the laptop bag. When bad things happen, they can't retrieve them. CrashPlan solves that problem. CrashPlan has proven to be a backup AND restore solution when other solutions were only "good" at backing up. Restore? Not a priority with other "solutions."

CrashPlan allows my employees to think about business, not whether their files are backed up. CrashPlan has proven to be reliable and unobtrusive to the user experience. We have had minimal issues and nothing significant.

Director of Information Systems with 501-1,000 employees
With it, we now have empirical evidence that we're protecting endpoints. It requires, however, that servers be treated like end-users.

What is most valuable?

The enterprise tools of CrashPlan PROe make deployments and monitoring as well as recovery extremely easy for my team. The most valuable feature is the ability to see not just if someone is backed up, but the last time and the percentage of their system that is protected.

How has it helped my organization?

Tasked with Business Continuity, IT now has empirical evidence that we are protecting endpoints.

What needs improvement?

Protecting Servers would be an excellent area to improve. There are workarounds but basically you have to treat them as end-users, which is not the same experience for a server environment.

When reporting backups, the system presumes all data must be backed up, resulting in irrelevant progress metering (500 GB to backup...but really only a change set of 1 MB)

About a year

The service ports and internal/external/DNS settings gave my team a challenge, but that may have well been our processes and documentation as much as CrashPlan.

None. CrashPlan has worked every time we have needed it to.

None. We protect over 200 endpoints -- remote workers out of the office - with no challenges and centrally from one management console.

The buying process was easy. Multi-year discounts sweetened the deal. Customer Service has mainly been a strong desire to learn about our uses of the product and gather feedback for improvement and engage with the Code42 customer base. This has been a refreshing approach from some other SaaS providers who say they value their customers.

My team worked through any issues with Tech Support but I had no first hand experience. The product works, so I presume they resolved any support needs.

We used Carbonite who promised enterprise management tools but did not deliver after 24 months. Code42 sold a finished product that delivered on its promise.

There was technical complexity to configuring server IPs and ports. Deploying to the endpoints was much easier than expected because the user's could self-service a portion of the process and it was integrated into AD (via ADFS).

in-house.

Jus the other day a Sr. executive had their hard drive crash. Another Sr. executive had their laptop stolen from their vehicle. We recovered all files and we could tell that they were all recovered because we could report the last backup timestamp and the percentage (100%).

We measure ROI in business impact and CrashPlan more than paid for itself in those two recoveries. Our previous solution could never have achieved that.

Negotiate a multi-year discount. You are allowed up to five devices (computers) per user account but do not attempt to "share" across users because you will (1) be out of licensing compliance and (2) lose the functionality of the iOS App which our users LOVE (access your files from a business lunch while your computer is not with you).

Mozy, Carbonite, Kaseya End Point Protection

What other advice do I have?

Stop evaluating. Purchase CrashPlan. Implement it. Go spend time on other IT initiatives because CrashPlan just works.

IT Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
With it, I can access files anywhere, on and off the domain.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable assets that I have found are just the ease of use of the product and that I can access the files anywhere. Now there is also an iOS app that I am looking forward to using and I love being mobile.

How has it helped my organization?

Well at work we are not allowed to use Time machine backup therefore its nice to be able to access the files on and off the domain and then i can access them on my home computer.

What needs improvement?

None at the moment.

Me personally 4 months, but the company I work for has been using this for about two years now I believe.

I have not it has been a very easy transition into using this software.

None whatsoever

Great

Very informative

Not sure as for the company

I wasn't with the company at that time

What other advice do I have?

none

Senior Desktop Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
While it, like most other backup products, has internal/external cloud backups and granular security settings, its customer support really sets it apart.

Valuable Features:

This product works like most other backup products available. There are some advantages with appliances available, internal or external cloud backups, and fairly granular security settings.

This company stands out on it's customer support. There have been technicians available every step of the way, through testing to deployment, and scaling.

No problem is too big, or too small for these guys!

Use of Solution:

6 months

IT Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's very stable and data backup and restore is seamless.

Valuable Features

The ease of use for the end user and the seamless data backup and restore ability.

Improvements to My Organization

It has drastically reduced restore and migration times for end users.

Use of Solution

2+ Years

No, the product has been incredibly stable.

Customer service has been excellent.

Excellent.

Setup was straightforward and relatively painless.

Implementation Team

We installed the product in-house.

Other Advice

I can recommend CrashPlan to anyone. It has saved us in IT countless hours restoring data and migrating users to new machines.

Network Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
You can schedule it with the client or push it out with group policy, but you'll need to negotiate the lowest price for licensing.

What is most valuable?

• Cloud backup
  • Backup management

How has it helped my organization?

In the past we had no unified backup solution and no way to monitor client backups.

What needs improvement?

As we aren't using the latest version yet, I don't want to suggest improvements to the platform.

I've been using it for one year.

No, it was very easy and streamlined.

No, it's very reliable and stable.

No, our capacity to grow has been wonderful.

It's great! We haven't needed it much because it is such a great product.

Their tech support is excellent.

We previously had random solutions and nothing unified across platforms.

It was very straightforward as it's a very easy process and gives you a lot of flexibility. For example, you can schedule it with the client or push it out with group policy.

In-house all the way.

So far we've saved a lot of data and prevented loss for some clients that either had their devices stolen or the hard drive had failed.

I think Code42 is very competitive in their pricing, but I wasn't involved with our finance folks while they negotiated the pricing. My only advice is to do an accurate accounting of your needs and negotiate the lowest price for licensing.

No we didn't as Code42 is head and shoulders above the rest.

IT System Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its UI is very intuitive for both the end users and admins, but download speeds could be faster when restoring from the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The UI is very intuitive for both the end users and admins.

How has it helped my organization?

Crashplan gives our users the peace of mind that company data is always being backed up without the need to "make sure" it's being backed up. It's very unobtrusive both for the end users and admins.

What needs improvement?

Download speeds could be faster when restoring from the cloud.

8 years

Excellent.

Crashplan was easier to use for the end users and administrators.

LiveBackup.

What other advice do I have?

Crashplan has saved my company from a great deal of data loss. I recently recommended Crashplan Pro for Small Business to a family member and it has saved them from complete loss of data due to a catastrophic hard drive failure.

Assistant Director of University Card Services with 501-1,000 employees
With up-to-date backups, it's helped us keep several executives happy when kryptolocker visited, but we could benefit from multi-user support.

What is most valuable?

Instant access to backups, whether hosted or local, has been the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Kryptolocker has visited our organization several times over the past couple of years. Each time, we have the user back up and running within the day because there are up-to-date backups waiting to be restored. Rarely are files lost during the restoration process. This has been key in keeping several executives happy.

What needs improvement?

Adding multi-user support would be huge. It would help immensely with access and administration challenges in the higher education realm.

We've been using Crashplan for about two years now.

Deployment has been great. Coupled with our deployment solution, we basically push a button and it deploys to the correct user on the correct computer.

This piece of software is absolutely stable.

None.

10/10. Code42 knows how to treat its customers right.

10/10. Great tech support, although we rarely need it.

We previously used a tape backup system. This seemed a bit archaic, and the turnaround on getting users back up and running after a full system crash/loss of data was unacceptable.

I was less involved with the setup, but from my point of view, it seemed pretty simple.

What other advice do I have?

This backup solution seems to be the best on the market. Ease of usability, both on the administrative side and the customer side, make it worth the install alone. Add in the stability and constant reassurance of knowing your files are only a download away is next to none.

Senior System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The web console allows me to see all of my users and their devices, and to manage my various licenses.

What is most valuable?

The web console which allows me to see all of my users and their devices, to manage my security authentication and licenses, and to restore files for less-skilled users.

How has it helped my organization?

Replacing laptops has become so much easier, whether from a hardware failure or with newer equipment. My users are restoring their own files because it's so easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It is a little confusing for users when they are replacing a laptop - a couple have wiped out their backup by choosing "adopt" before they do a restore. Maybe an option or rewording or step-by-step guidance so they can restore their old documents and then continue using this new device in place of the old?

3 years

Excellent customer service and quick response times.

Very good, very knowledgeable.

We previously used USB drives with Microsoft's backup, but the rate of failure was high, the reliability low.

Setting up CrashPlan was easy from start to finish. My users do their own installations.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest question that I am asked by my users is "Are you sure it's running? I don't notice it - it's not slowing me down." That's a big compliment to the software.

Logistics Analyst/Systems Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Setup and configuration are easy, but I'd like to see some better options with account management.

Valuable Features

Ease of setup and configuration.

Improvements to My Organization

We no longer have to be concerned about losing data to drive failures or user error.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see some better options with account management in the software and a simpler way to track where you are using licenses.

Use of Solution

3 Years

None, it went flawlessly.

I have had a remote storage server fail to start a couple times. Its a simple fix since the service backs up all its settings and lets you just re-install to get right back to where you were.

Code42 has excellent customer support. We always get prompt replies to e-mails, and their phone/chat support has yet to let us

Other Advice

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

ITS Support Analyst II with 501-1,000 employees
Helpful when migrating users from one machine to another, but there's no support for multi-user environments.

What is most valuable?

Back up restore has been very helpful when migrating users from one machine to another or when data base corrupted or become infected.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows up to prep computers and pull up to date data directly from the user's cloud backup onto their new machine to make transitions virtually seamless. This also has saved numerous user's data when they have inadvertently downloaded viruses or malware.

What needs improvement?

Multi user environments are not currently supported and has been an inconvenience on several occasions.

One year 6 months

No, the engineers we worked with assisted in creating batch files to assist with the install.

We have not encountered any major issues with stability

At the moment we have no had any issues with scalability. Whenever we hit a wall due to all licenses being used it is easy to purge any residual termination accounts from cold storage or pick up the phone and work with Code 42 to order more licenses.

n/a

It was a little complex but with the assistance of the code 42 engineers things were very smooth.

in-house

Yes we did.

What other advice do I have?

This product is great for data recovery. There have been several times that CrashPlan has saved us from data loss due to viral, malware attacks. A year ago the cryptolocker virus was running pretty rampant and any time it got into a machine we were always able to wipe it clean and restore without issues. If Code42 can figure out the multi-user environment issue this product would be hands down a must have.

it_user157080 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user157080Communications at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

Good news! Code42's latest release provides for multi-user support. Details here: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Separately_Backing_Up_Multiple_User_Accounts_On_One_Device#Considerations_For_Per-User_Installations

IT Director at a tech vendor
We have been able to keep backups of mobile/laptop data reliable for the end user in case there is a major incident, but I'm waiting for an app that can be installed on smartphones and tablets.

What is most valuable?

I don't know if this would really be a feature, but more just what the software does in general. It just works. The only time I spend with the software is just upgrades, which are easy. I don't have issues with computers or the servers. The software is doing its job without further support from our staff. Basically set it up and forget about it.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to keep backups of mobile/laptop data reliable for the end user in case there is a major incident. It has improved our peace of mind.

What needs improvement?

I am waiting for them to develop an app that can be installed on a smartphone or tablet that backs up the data as it does for computers.

4 years

None

One of the most stable software packages I have worked with in my 20 years in IT.

It scales really well. We have two datastores. Originally we started out with one and it was easy to add the second. We were even able to seed it with data from the first.

Excellent. They have always been great on the phone, chat, or email.

Excellent. They know their stuff and know how to communicate that with you and help you out.

It was very simple and straightforward. Nothing complex about it.

In-house

It gives us piece of mind and security. I call it an insurance policy. So as far as true ROI it is hard to calculate. All it will take is one major file getting deleted or drive failure and bingo it has paid for itself.

Their options are very straight forward.

This was really the only item on the market at the time that let us store the data in-house, but still back up devices securely over the internet.

What other advice do I have?

Again great solution and great company.

Systems Administrator Asst. at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It keeps back ups simple, but it tends to time-out with slower connections.

Valuable Features:

Quiet running and easy to administrate.

Improvements to My Organization:

Problem users never "forget" to back up.

Room for Improvement:

In the places we have slower connections it has a time out problem. A time setting would be nice so we can set these clients to backup after hours.

Use of Solution:

two years

Scalability Issues:

We just keep adding licenses.  No issues.  We went from 10 to 50 to over 300 seats now.

Other Advice:

Everyone has a backup now. In daily work life it is easy to forget to backup your files. This makes it simple.

Deron Turner - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Center Technician with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has restored files we thought were lost because of computer crashes, but there were licensing and storage issues with scaling.

What is most valuable?

Set and forget. Easy to install and update. Client is never aware that it is even running and backing up their data without utilizing much computational power.

How has it helped my organization?

Restored files that we have lost due to computer crashing, as well as many other problems that we have been able to restore project essential files.

What needs improvement?

none

2+ years

none

Other than licensing issues and limited amount of data storage, but that is expected with scaling.

9 out of 10. Excellent.

excellent

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection as well as Crashplan for backups, and Crashplan is the only one we have yet to have issues with.

straightforward

Executive & Internal System Support with 1,001-5,000 employees
All users save locally instead of to a network drive, which saves cost, but backing up required ports.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and admin console

How has it helped my organization?

Rather than save to a network drive and costs associated with upgrading storage, all users save locally with the peace of mind that everything is safe.

What needs improvement?

None of that I can find.

9 months

Required ports needed to backup.

None

Top notch, I have never had such a great experience with a company.

10/10

SOS online backup. Their admin console was a joke, could never tell if backups had been completed, and restoring could only be done file by file.

Straightforward, I had a rep stay on the phone with me and help.

What other advice do I have?

This is by far the best cloud-based backup solution. If you are looking into cloud solutions, stop. Purchase Crashplan and never lose a night's sleep again.

Network Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees

CrashPlan is an excellent backup product. Unlike many backup solutions, it has a lightweight client that I don't even know is there. The enterprise edition has centralized management for all devices being backed up on our domain, and the data is encrypted before leaving our machines. The restore function can be a little cumbersome when restoring from the centralized management console, however the client based restore is relatively simple.

it_user173670 - PeerSpot reviewer
Venture Center Senior Associate with 1,001-5,000 employees
​Its seamless, just works. Set it, forget it, and if something comes up, they email you.

What is most valuable?

Its seamless, it just works; just set it, forget it and if something comes up they just email you.

How has it helped my organization?

Its our backup for everything, photos, files, backs up to local server and its saves my butt so many times. No problem restoring files when a computer crashes. If you treasure your digital content – this is the solution for you.

What needs improvement?

Not really. Does everything so well.

Roughly 4 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Great, I had one support instance that I needed help with, and they got back right away.

Mozy, was clunky and changed their pricing, and we also wanted unlimited data.

Super straightforward. Literally click a couple buttons and its up and running.

In-house.

How can you quantify that, easily thousands of dollars. A lot.

Cost is $400, 4 years, 10 machines.

Carbonite.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. Pick this one – it’s the best.

it_user261273 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user261273Network Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees

I agree that this is an excellent solution.

it_user172851 - PeerSpot reviewer
Managed Service Engineer with 51-200 employees
Easy to use but needs a deployment tool to aid implementation

What is most valuable?

Available across multiple-platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease of use as compared to its competitors.

What needs improvement?

The administration side as reporting ability is lacking.

2 years

Yes. Many, but it came from outside of the product.

Not too much.

Very little. But without a working deployment tool, it becomes very challenging to deploy to 500+ people.

Best support portal I have ever used.

Great so far.

Yes. People hated our previous solution as it required vpn and bogged down CPU.

We required a custom solution so it was a little difficult. Without a deployment tool the client was challenging to automate the install.

We did it with the help of the vendor. Their field engineer was very knowledgeable.

I have no idea.

Uncertain. Above my pay grade.

Yes, Druva.

What other advice do I have?

It's very user friendly...when it works.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
Download our free Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Code42, Digital Guardian, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: July 2022