IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

CockroachDB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

CockroachDB is #16 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give CockroachDB an average rating of 10 out of 10. CockroachDB is most commonly compared to Citus Data: CockroachDB vs Citus Data. CockroachDB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Relational Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is CockroachDB?

CockroachDB is a distributed SQL database built on a transactional and strongly-consistent key-value store. It scales horizontally; survives disk, machine, rack, and even datacenter failures with minimal latency disruption and no manual intervention; supports strongly-consistent ACID transactions; and provides a familiar SQL API for structuring, manipulating, and querying data.

CockroachDB is inspired by Google’s Spanner and F1 technologies, and it’s completely open source.

CockroachDB Customers

Baidu, Kindred, Tierion, Heroic Labs, Gorgias

CockroachDB Video

Archived CockroachDB Reviews (more than two years old)

Paresh Nayak - PeerSpot reviewer
Oracle Cloud Infra Architect at Sterlite Technologies Ltd
Simple to deploy and the support is good, but better features for high availability are needed
  • "The initial setup and deployment are simple."
  • "We are looking for more features to support distributed high availability and geo-partitioning."

What is our primary use case?

We are currently evaluating this product to see if it can support distributed transactions with high availability. We are comparing it with Oracle, trying to see it can achieve the same thing.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup and deployment are simple.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with CockroachDB for close to six months.
Relational Databases
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cockroach, Oracle, Citus Data and others in Relational Databases. Updated: June 2022.
608,010 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We are still evaluating and I have only used a small amount of data. For a small volume, the stability seems perfectly fine. As for when the volume of data grows, this is something that I will have to check.

We have not tested scalability.

We are in touch with a couple of vendors from Cockroach Labs and the technical support is good.

We use a combination of cloud-based and on-premises databases. On-premises we have Oracle and SQL Server. Our cloud-native databases are PostgreSQL and MySQL. PostgreSQL is quite similar to Oracle but CockroachDB is still evolving.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I have not used this product enough to fully rate it on all of the features. In three or four months' time, I will have a better idea and understanding of it. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Executive Director / R&D Dept. General Manager at Riz Inc.
For me, the learning curb was low.

What is our primary use case?

The use case is a backend DB for an app.

The CockrorchDB is on CentOS7.x with a cloud server service.

How has it helped my organization?

CockroachDB is a best practice for my organization.

High management of the CockroachDB (like creating or managing a data center across regions) seems so simple, and users can focus on developing the app.

CockroachDB is very handy.

What is most valuable?

I think CockroachDB has two important valuable features which are my favorite:

1. Having high fault-tolerance for clusters level and even data center level, which may run by a simple process.

2. The learning curb was low (for me at least). This comes into play for installing, deployment, SQL and more.

I think that this DB is helpful to easily and speedily provide a single and large service to the world.

What needs improvement?

As additional features, I wish there was Japanese documentation, instead of just English. I know how powerful and simple CockroachDB can be for many Japanese people with the correct documentation.

Half a year

Download our free Relational Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cockroach, Oracle, Citus Data, and more!
Updated: June 2022