IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cloudflare OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cloudflare is #2 ranked solution in top CDN tools and #3 ranked solution in top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. PeerSpot users give Cloudflare an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Cloudflare is most commonly compared to Imperva DDoS: Cloudflare vs Imperva DDoS. Cloudflare is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Cloudflare?

Cloudflare is the leading performance and security company helping to build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 9 million Internet applications. More than 10 trillion Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network each month, accounting for nearly 10% of all Internet requests globally.

Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with each new site added. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

Cloudflare Customers

Trusted by over 9,000,000 Internet Applications and APIs, including Nasdaq, Zendesk, Crunchbase, Steve Madden, OkCupid, Cisco, Quizlet, Discord and more.

Cloudflare Video

Cloudflare Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cloudflare pricing:
  • "The price is reasonable."
  • "We don't have any issues with the price."
  • Cloudflare Reviews

VP/Director of IT
    Robust, secure and innovative; technical support needs to be improved
    • "New and innovative way to protect the client's data."
    • "Technical support is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be as an immediate wrapper-type security solution as opposed to other solutions which put an in-point monitor on a workstation. I'm the VP of our company and director of IT.

What is most valuable?

They've implemented a tunneling system. It's not quite VPN, but it's not quite HTTP traffic, either. It's a very robust and different system which, in my opinion, is what needs to be done. New and innovative ways to protect the client's data should be the focus.

What needs improvement?

I think they have failed with their technical support. I feel I would have gotten to a solution faster, quicker, and more efficiently if they would have been there to just answer a couple of questions. I had to read so much documentation to validate what I was about to do versus what I had already known I could do. They almost lost me as a customer and it was only because I had a bit of time and the gumption, the drive to keep going. I'm glad I did, but I'm not happy with the road. It was bumpy.

I've been using this solution for about three months.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: July 2022.
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability is great. I love their mechanisms, I love their GUI, I love their front end, I love their behind the scenes. Algorithms and everything, it all makes sense. I look at Microsoft and I say, you just don't make sense anymore. If you've been working in this industry for long enough, you know what makes sense and what doesn't make sense. And this box ware makes a lot of sense.

The solution is open ended like with Cisco so quite scalable. I'm the only one using it and, at this point, I'm probably using 2% of their overall capacity. We're in the process of reevaluating our presence on the cloud, our data on the cloud and our ability to do work in the cloud.

I've tried to contact technical support three times without any luck. I found the solution myself. If I look at the community, I see others have experienced the same issue.

I carried out a comparison of Cloudflare with Call Ways, which was a good runner-up. Not only because of the sophistication of their cloud monitoring system, but they also have zero remediation, which means that they will tell you that you've got a problem even though they can't fix it. I'm also looking at Support Net as a primary firewall to replace the firewalls that I'm going to retire. I accidentally found Cloudflare, which offered me a lot more than any of the other companies, because the first thing it did was to encrypt all my traffic. Microsoft had failed us and as a result I had to shut everything down for three days and reconfigure firewalls and everything before bringing it all back up again.

On this particular system, I didn't have as much budget as I would have liked, but I still had the redundancy that I wanted. The complexity was that things don't work the way they used to so I had to rethink things. In the end, deployment for the actual solution took about 10 minutes. It was a matter of just literally giving them a credit card and flipping a switch. It's been fine ever since.

All my data was encrypted before the hackers got past two firewalls. Encrypting your data does not keep hackers from getting in. In that respect, Cloudflare has proved to be a huge benefit for us.

For now, the cost of Cloudflare is very reasonable compared to everything else. It's hard to say what will be down the track. Sometimes these companies offer very good deals early on and then annual fees increase as the companies become more successful.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of documentation and I would recommend reading it. I think that's how they want their tech support to work, through community. The community doesn't talk so well with each other like the Microsoft community because Microsoft's been around a lot longer. It isn't quite working perfectly yet and they don't have experts to answer the questions. They want the users to come to the realization for themselves, based on what I see in the conversations in the communities. It's a millennial mentality. We don't have to be involved, we'll just make the product and let them solve their own problems. That's an issue for me.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Senior Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    An intuitive solution that's great for a small business
    • "From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet"
    • "Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva."

What is most valuable?

Cloudflare is easy to use. It's very intuitive. Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva. I think Imperva is far richer in features from what I can see, but I think that can bring its own pains to be honest. For this reason, I think Cloudflare is a simpler version.

With Imperva, you can drill down to packet-level very easily. It's very, very good at drilling down deeper and deeper into the packet. I think that is available with Cloudflare, but it's not as good. It doesn't seem to provide us with the same kind of search capability as Imperva. Having said that, I think that's one of the advantages of Cloudflare because you just have to click a button and drill down via clicking. I actually like Cloudflare to be honest. Imperva is almost too difficult for normal businesses — it's too complex. There's almost too much information there. Whereas with Cloudflare, it's easier to drill down and it's more intuitive.

I've only been using Cloudflare for a week.

I wasn't involved in the implementation, so I have no idea how much it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is quite intuitive. For businesses that don't have a dedicated security team, I think it's a better product; it's more intuitive for people like us. I'm a network security engineer, but I'm not a dedicated security official. I've too many other things going on to have the time to do the rule sets that you need if you're working with Imperva — I think a lot of that is down to you as the customer. With Cloudflare, I think a lot of that happens in the background.

I've been working with it for a week and a half so I'm not the best person to say if it's better or worse than Imperva. My only reaction is that maybe it's not as feature-rich for the end-user. Whether that's an advantage, well, that's questionable. Maybe we don't need all of those features sometimes — it depends on the business. The business I'm working in now is a very different business with a different kind of security model. The business I was working with when I used Imperva probably needed that feature-rich capability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cloudflare a rating of eight. It's quite intuitive. I like it. From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet.

Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection
    July 2022
    620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Stable with good DDoS protection and good scalability potential
    • "The DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution."
    • "The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We use the product for theft and DDoS protection.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer is good. Specifically, the DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution can scale if you need it to. It has the capability to expand.

The product seems to be pretty stable overall.

The technical support is very good. They are knowledgeable and they respond quickly.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the product had some sort of live tracking functionality available to us.

The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it.

I've been using the solution for about two or so years at this point. It's been a while.

I've never really evaluated the stability of the solution. I have no opinion of it. I can't speak to its overall performance very well. Generally, however, I would say that it is largely stable.

The solution doesn't really depend on the number of users, so much as the general traffic. In that sense, it can scale. It's a pretty scalable product.

The technical support on offer is excellent. They are very helpful and responsive. We're quite happy with the level of service they provide to their customers.

The initial setup was neither simple nor complex. It was somewhere in the middle, However, we did have help with the implementation, which was very useful for us.

The deployment took about 11 days in total. It wasn't too long.

Once it is deployed, there is no maintenance required of us.

The vendor helped us with the initial implementation. We had a good experience with them overall.

The solution is relatively expensive. It's not something that comes at a cheap price.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are using the latest version of the solution currently. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.

Other
    Raj Meka - PeerSpot reviewer
    President and CEO at Mekas Cloud Services
    Easy to scale and configure, with reasonable pricing
    • "There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS."
    • "Latencies are always a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company, we provide solutions to our customers. We implement the solutions for our customers. Some of our customers use CloudFlare, some of them are using  Imperva and Palo Alto.

Our customers use this solution for any web traffic, mostly GCP or to AWS cloud as a backend.

What is most valuable?

I like caching and DDoS. There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS.

What needs improvement?

Latencies are always a problem.

Also, one thing I would say is you have to maintain DNS through their services. I don't know if that's a requirement or not.

Latencies are the key issue. If you are not caching and just using DDoS then definitely, there are some latencies added to the traffic.

I have been working with Cloudflare for more than six years.

We work with many different versions. For new customers, we use the latest version.

I haven't had any issues with stability. We haven't heard anything from our clients.

It's a stable solution.

It is easy to scale. We haven't had any problems with scalability.

We have not used technical support.

Cloudflare is very straightforward. It is easy to set up.

There is no installation, you just go through the configuration process.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what the customer is looking for. These are two different areas. Basically, CloudFare is completely Cloud-based, whereas Imperva I can have a physical appliance or a virtual appliance, or a cloud-based.

My solution is based on what customers are looking for, but Cloudflare is pretty good and getting really popular in terms of DDoS, the paid version of it.

We looked at the service. What are acceptable latencies? Is it okay to route through a different vendor, and before it reaches the backup? They have to go through multiple vendors. You also have to consider what the latencies cost and is that acceptable for the service. These are key things you need to consider when selecting a cloud-based vendor for DDoS.

I would rate Cloudflare a nine out of ten.

Technical Support Engineer at Professional Technologies Kenya
    Reseller
    Internet security software with good overall performance compared to other solutions on the market

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use the web application firewall and Zero Trust predominantly.

What is most valuable?

Zero Trustability has been one of the most valuable features our customers have used.

What needs improvement?

The reporting of this solution could be improved.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support for this solution is really good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We are the vendor team that implement this solution for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

The overall performance of this solution is what make it one of the best solutions on the market. It is important to be able to convince customers that this solution woks well and customers will still have control, even though it is a cloud solution.

I would rate this solution a x out of ten.

Andrii Präger - PeerSpot reviewer
    CTO at QROK GmbH
    Easy to use, good documentation, reasonably priced, and they have good support

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly. A user who doesn't completely know how everything works can easily sign up and have an account.

It is very clear and the information is very useful.

There is a very good reporting system for statistics.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the CDN services.

Also, the connection could be improved.

There are some issues with stability. We have connection issues.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We don't have any issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security, and more!
    Updated: July 2022