We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Syed Basha
IT Cyber Security / IT-DR / BC Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Stable with good manageability and visibility
  • "Manageability and visibility are good."
  • "The interface needs to be improved because the competition is coming up with ones that are more eye-catching, straightforward, and sophisticated."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and when we need to implement application delivery control then Citrix ADC is one of the products that we suggest to our clients.

What is most valuable?

Manageability and visibility are good.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Citrix for three years.

We are very happy with its stability.

We have no issues with scalability.

Currently, our customers for Citrix ADC are large-sized organizations.

I would rate the technical support a seven out of ten. They are okay. When they are investigating a problem then they need a lot of information, and there is a lot of back and forth.

The situation is the same with most of the big vendors.

We also deal with Fortinet FortiADC, and one of our clients recently had to switch to Fortinet because of a management decision. Importantly, however, they were still happy with Citrix.

The complexity of the initial setup and length of time for deployment depends on the customer that we're dealing with. If it's a ministry or government then it's going to take a long time. These deployments might take a month to complete. If it's a small or medium-sized customer then it might be between one and three days, and you're finished.

This product is more expensive than some of the competitors.

In the future, we are hoping to provide more cloud-based solutions. However, at this time, there is not enough maturity, and as such, corporations and government offices want on-premises solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Citrix ADC is a product that I can recommend, without any doubt or hesitation.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Division Manager at Tecnología Especializada Asociada de México, S.A. de C.V
User-friendly setup with content switching and integrated caching features
  • "Easy, user-friendly setup with content switching and integrated caching features."
  • "The only thing customers told me that could be improved is that they would like to be able to purchase and receive the products in one box, rather than two boxes. This is something related to marketing, though."

What is our primary use case?

We used this mostly for disaster recovery plan (DRP), for global service load balancing, and Citrix Access Gateway.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable from Citrix ADC were the Content Switching and Integrated Caching features which were the things we commonly installed for our customers.

What needs improvement?

The only thing customers told me that could be improved is that they would like to be able to purchase and receive the products in one box, rather than two boxes. This is something related to marketing, though.

We were partners with Citrix for 15 years. We used it for 15 years.

I also found this solution to be stable.

I found it to be scalable.

Our customers' feedback was that support wasn't the best. Cases were often on queue and there were delays in solving their issues, leading to customers getting angry. Support could be improved.

I was able to try F5 and Radware. The price for Citrix ADC here in Mexico was good when you compare it with F5 and Radware.

The setup was easy. For the first version of this solution, it was not very user-friendly, but in the last edition we used, the setup was very user-friendly.

We implemented it for our customers through our in-house team of 3 consultants. I think 3 people is sufficient for implementing this solution to our customers.

I was able to evaluate F5 and Radware.

What other advice do I have?

My rating for this solution is ten out of ten. I think it is the best product ever.

My recommendation is for customers here in Mexico to try it. I feel it is the best solution in the market, at least here in Mexico. My message to customers here is to try it and they'll never be disappointed with this magic box.

Learn what your peers think about Citrix ADC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MakrandTare
Senior Manager at Vodafone
Has good load-balancing features but we have experienced some authentication problems
  • "The load balancing is one of the most valuable features."
  • "I will try to migrate all the tools to the cloud because there is more lab and more VPN scalability available in the cloud. It is not available on-premises."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy it for enterprise customers and some schools that are located in Denmark.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing is one of the most valuable features. We have several load balancing solutions like F5 and Fortinet.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Citrix for the past four years.

Of course it is stable. We have had some errors, like authentication issues, although those are easy to fix.

It is scalable enough.

We started with 100 users and now are up to 2,500.

We have contacted their technical support. They provided their contact details, the account manager details, so we contacted them frequently and as required. They are very good.

We are also familiar with F5.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's deployed in our central location and four different other plants. It's not complex for those types of environments. Including the network setup, the entire deployment took 45 days.

I did the deployment together with my team. The deployment required four advanced engineers.

We also evaluated Fortinet but we found that it is not that good a solution in terms of it being user-friendly and it was not very scalable. Comparatively, FortiGate is a good option, and reading-wise I think it's good.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution to know your use cases and get good documentation.

When we experienced an issue, we made documents and we can share those documents and share all the details to help provide others with solutions.

I would rate it a six out of ten.

Competency Leader - Virtualization at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and useful for load balancing, VPN, and AAA authentication
  • "The load balancing and VPN features are most valuable. AAA authentication is also valuable."
  • "Its GUI should be improved. Its CLI is powerful, but GUI needs more features."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used for virtual desktop delivery for remote access. We are also using it for load balancing and SSL VPN.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing and VPN features are most valuable. AAA authentication is also valuable.

They have specific integration with the product line for application virtualization and desktop virtualization.

What needs improvement?

Its GUI should be improved. Its CLI is powerful, but GUI needs more features.

I have been using this solution for almost eight years.

It is stable.

They have the software bundle licenses. If you want to add more users, capacity, or throughput on the bandwidth, you can add licenses, and it'll get upgraded.

They also have scalability options with virtualization, and you can use those options as well. Normally, we decide on a particular model depending on the number of users and the use case.

They have different models. An entry-level model supports up to 5,000 users. A mid-range model can support up to 10,000 users, and a high-end model can support up to 40,000 users in the box in HA configuration.

I've contacted them many times. In case of a problem or error, you can raise a support ticket online. Normally, we upload the log. After they analyze the log, they are able to identify the root cause and provide support. In case of a severe issue, they also do a remote session to analyze the issue. They are very helpful.

It is pretty easy and straightforward. A new setup takes maybe a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the use case. If you have a use case for an application controller for load balancing, web application firewall, or virtual infrastructure, you can straight away go for this solution.

I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of 10.

Customer Service Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good load balancing and web application firewall functionality
  • "The most valuable feature is load balancing."
  • "The WAF component needs to be simplified so that it is easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

This solution acts as my web server, web application server, firewall, and load balancer. I also use it for IPSec 4 to IPSec 6 conversion.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is load balancing. This solution will do both global and local load balancing.

The WAF features are very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The WAF component needs to be simplified so that it is easier to use.

In the next release, I would like to see more firewall policy support.

I have been using Citrix NetScaler VPX for about five years.

There are a few bugs here and there, but technical support has been able to assist with them.

This solution is easy to scale if we have up to ten servers, but much higher and we need to use a different level of license. It is a little bit expensive.

We have approximately 2,000 users.

I am quite satisfied with the technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I installed this solution with the help of my own team.

Our licensing fees including technical support are approximately $3,500 USD.

We evaluated a solution by F5, but we found it to be a little complex and we didn't proceed with it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it works best for small-scale industry. I would recommend this for a small business, but not for larger organizations. It works quite well for 1,000 or 2,000 users, but I would not recommend more than that.

Rodrigo Martin
CEO Iberia & Latam at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, stable, and scalable
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have Citrix StoreFront to access everything from a remote desk. We use it with Office 365 so that we can access Teams.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if there were more integration capabilities. That's something that could improve.

Technical support could be improved.

The solution could offer a higher level of security.

I've been using the solution for about five or six years. It's been a while.

The solution has been very stable. I don't recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand usage, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We currently have 400 users on the solution right now.

I've contacted technical support in the past. Their level of service is inconsistent. Sometimes it's good and other times not as much. It depends.

The installation was handled by a specific department and not by myself. I work in an area of the government and don't contact that department directly. Therefore, I can't speak to the overall experience of the initial setup. I can't say if it is difficult or straightforward.

I don't have any details in relation to the pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution that I take care of.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. I don't have any special relationship with Citrix.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.

I would recommend the solution to other users, departments, and companies.

Khatib Mechentel
Infrastructure Project Manager and Architect at Conseil Départemental Seine-Maritime
Has good content switching ability and good GUI functionality
  • "The most valuable feature is the content switching."
  • "ADC from Citrix has added functionalities from other products and the usability is very difficult for someone who is used to a simpler user interface, it's a little bit of a mess to use."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the content switching.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the GUI's functionalities, it responds to our needs. I don't see a need for improvement for that.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

We have more users than before so we had to migrate from a VPX to an NPX to improve the bandwidth. We are a medium-sized company with around 5,000 users. Most of them work through ADC appliances. It responds to our needs.

I have contacted their technical support. They're good. We have a meeting with them once a month. Their support is good.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would depend on the company's needs. In my former job, we used to have f5 for load balancing and we used to have NetScaler for ICA reverse proxy for access gateway and we used the two of them in conjunction. In my current job, we have Fortinet for firewalling and we have ADC for reverse proxy for access gateway. My opinion is that you have to choose the best solution for every functionality you need.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the user interface.

Technical Support Engineer at Greenware Technologies LLC
Delivery and load balancing that is stable and secure
  • "The most valuable features are the VDA Delivery, Gateway Fort, and the load balancing."
  • "The security is okay, but the monitoring and reporting need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this Citrix ADC with Windows Applications and desktop delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

They need to improve the ADC report

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the VDA Delivery, Gateway Fort, and the load balancing.

What needs improvement?

The security is okay, but the monitoring and reporting need improvement.

The price can be reduced. Our customers have compared the pricing and have indicated that there is a big difference compared to others, so it should be more competitive.

I have been using this solution for the last three to four years.

They have both the VPX and the MPX hardware, and with the ADC, it's a stable product.

With a subscription, they will give you immediate support.

Straightforward

In-house Team

When compared to other solutions, the cost is high.

There are subscriptions for technical support available for an additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

This solution can be deployed on-premises, public cloud, and private cloud. It's hybrid.

It's a good product and I recommend it.