IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is #4 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client vs OpenVPN Access Server. Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client?

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility is a unified agent that provides different security services to help empower and protect organizations. It offers the visibility and control you need to figure out who and what is gaining access to your extended company before, during, and after an attack.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility is an endpoint security platform that includes remote access, posture enforcement, and online security features. It provides your IT department with all of the secure access options it needs to deliver a reliable, user-friendly, and highly secure mobile experience. It not only allows VPN access via Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), but it also provides additional security via built-in modules, such as Cisco Network Access Manager, Cisco

AnyConnect ISE Agent, and Cisco AnyConnect Web Security Client.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Features

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Accessible from any location: Cisco AnyConnect allows any user to connect to the workplace network from any device, at any time, and from any location.
  • Unified endpoint compliance: Cisco AnyConnect unifies endpoint posture and remediation across wired, wireless, and VPN environments for Cisco ISE. It offers endpoint posture testing for OS levels, the most recent antivirus updates, and other resources to improve endpoint security and compliance.
  • Web security: Cisco AnyConnect includes a web security module that may be used with either the on-premises Cisco Web Security Appliance (WSA) or the cloud-based Cisco Cloud Web Security (CWS). Admins can give comprehensive secure mobility to all end users by combining online security with VPN access, which is critical for BYOD deployments.
  • Secure network access: The Network Access Manager has advanced connection features that allow managers to decide which networks or resources endpoints can access. It includes an IEEE 802.1X supplicant as well as some unique encryption methods that can be deployed as part of authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) capabilities.
  • Mobile device support: Cisco AnyConnect is compatible with the most common devices used by today's workforce. With per-application VPN, highly secure remote access can be device-based or powered transparently by certain enterprise mobile applications.
  • Simplified management and usability: Cisco AnyConnect provides a consistent user experience across on-premises and off-premises devices without causing IT headaches.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Benefits

There are many benefits to implementing Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility. Some of the biggest advantages the solution offers include:

• Endpoint security that is context-aware, comprehensive, and ongoing
  • Flexible access to company resources over wired, cellular, and VPN networks
  • Low cost of ownership
  • User Verification
  • Prevents data threats at entry
  • Protects users who are off the VPN
  • Uses visibility and analytics to optimize security
  • Unlocks endpoint visibility

Reviews from Real Users

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to be customized and its reliability. PeerSpot users take note of the advantages of these features in their reviews:

Hakan T., Senior Solution Sales Consultant at a tech services company, writes, “Every time I have to connect to the network I use this solution. It is a customizable solution, it makes life easier for me. It makes the global workforce work much easier and more secure.”

Another PeerSpot reviewer, a Product Manager and CMOS Image Sensors at a manufacturing company, mentions, “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client works well, we don't have any issues with it. The most valuable feature of this solution is that it works all of the time.”

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client was previously known as Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility, AnyConnect Secure Mobility, Cisco AnyConnect, AnyConnect.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Customers

MST, Molina Healthcare, Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Arup, New South Wales Rural Fire
Service

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Video

Archived Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Reviews (more than two years old)

Uldis Stokenbergs - PeerSpot reviewer
Member of the Board at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Lightweight and stable with good connectivity
  • "The solution works very well. You just click and it's working."
  • "The configuration from the client-side would be useful. Right now, it's not centralized. There should be a lock so that it can only be configured from one place."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for secure access the company's network.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very lightweight. The product is stable. There are almost no problems with connectivity when using a third-party system. The solution works very well. You just click and it's working.

What needs improvement?

The configuration from the client-side would be useful. Right now, it's not centralized. There should be a lock so that it can only be configured from one place. The solution could use some sort of graphic interface or some kind of monitor to showcase the current network to help visualize the information.

I've been using the solution for quite a long time - about ten to 15 years or so.
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. We didn't have any issues with bugs or glitches that would make us concerned about its stability.

The solution is scalable. It's suitable for a very large organization. You can use many connection points across your network. It's easy to geographically split everything. The solution is constantly being used in our organization. It's always running.

We've never had to contact technical support in the past. For us, it's been working fine.

I have used a mobile prospect from previous generation Cisco VPN clients. AnyConnect ended up replacing the Cisco VPN Clients, so we didn't switch per se. We've always had Cisco products.

From the handling side, the initial setup is quite easy and straightforward. From a customer endpoint, deployment only takes about two to three minutes. To deploy the solution centrally, usually, a company can expect to spend four to five hours on it.

The licensing is based on one, three, and five-year terms. It's a one-time fee with no hidden costs. For example, you won't find that you'll have to pay more for support later.

We didn't previously evaluate any other products. We've always used Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is perfect for both large and small companies. I'd advise other organizations to choose a subscription for the maximum period. The longer period is cheaper in price. Users should also keep it running all the time for the best results.  I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Network Specialist at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Good stability, good integration capabilities, and a quick setup on the client-side
  • "The setup is quick and easy on the client-side."
  • "The setup is a bit difficult to handle on the server-side."

What is most valuable?

The setup is quick and easy on the client-side.

Overall, the solution is quite good.

The solution has the capability to integrate with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to add more options for clients.

There are too many VPN endpoints. It's not easy to switch between endpoints, which affects scalability.

It's difficult to change profiles. There are no menu buttons or checkboxes to make simple changes on the solution. It would be very simple to just add something in the menu to make account changes quick and easy.

The setup is a bit difficult to handle on the server-side.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable enough.

The scalability needs to be dealt with. The endpoints on the solution are an issue. The solution should change some of the VPN endpoints.

On the client-side, the setup is very straightforward. However, on the server-side, it gets a bit more complicated and users should be aware of that.

What other advice do I have?

Our company outsources our services to our customers. We use many different technologies, and, from my experience, overall I find this solution to be quite good.

I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client
July 2022
610,336 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Group VP Security and Compliance at a wireless company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use and set up with competitive pricing
  • "The solution is very easy to use and set up."
  • "Behavior analytics and other newer technologies should be integrated into the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for an SSL VPN, for third parties to connect to our network.

What is most valuable?

The pricing is very competitive.

The solution is very easy to use and set up.

What needs improvement?

Configuring the solution could be simplified. You tend to spend a bit of time on it right now. It could be made easier with better UI. All of the backend configurations are command-line and it's not helpful. It takes a little bit of effort to get the system up and running.

There's a lot of newer technologies that are displacing all of the VPN technologies. The solution could benefit from having a defragmenter and should offer Mac-based device control.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We've had about 2,000 users connected to it. We use it quite extensively.

A different team handles technical support, however, I haven't heard of any issues.

The initial setup was pretty simple. It's not too complex.

We had a hybrid approach to implementation where we did a few updates and then had a third party deploy the basic items for us.

The solution offers its services at a very reasonable price.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution; it's a good product.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Senior Quality Assurance at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Works well as a VPN, but the automatic re-connection feature needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable feature is the connection feature."
  • "There are situations where the connection drops, and you may not even be aware of it until you try to do something critical."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution as an access point. We have on-premises servers and if anyone needs to access those servers remotely, they access them through Cisco AnyConnect.

We use it as a VPN between outside networks and our internal office network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the connection feature. It allows me to connect.

What needs improvement?

There are situations where the connection drops, and you may not even be aware of it until you try to do something critical. The reconnection feature can be improved.

In the next release, I would like to have a connection alert or a pop up that could tell you that you have been disconnected.

It would be an improvement to include a better interface and integration with other vendors.

I have been using this solution for one year.

There are instances where the connection is very poor, but It may have something to do with our network. I am not sure.

This solution is scalable.

We have twenty to thirty users.

We have not contacted technical support, we have not had any cause to contact them.

Previously we did not use another solution, this is the first one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did not use any external resources to implement this solution, it was done internally.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very good, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could create issues with it very quickly. If you don't have enough knowledge regarding this solution, then you need to get someone who knows this solution to help you with the implementation or to implement the solution.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

BCM/ECM Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Simple and reliable solution that allows you to work remotely
  • "This solution is stable. There have been no technical issues."
  • "I have been working with the same interface for the last ten years. I would say that it needs some improvements made."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for working remotely.

What is most valuable?

It's a simple and reliable solution.

From my point of view as an end-user, it works without any problems and it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with the same interface for the last ten years. I would say that it needs some improvements made. From the perspective of an end-user, It could be more attractive and a graphic interface would be better.

It's a problem having to balance the number of licenses with the number of physical users.

In the next release, I would like to see better graphics in the interface.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This solution is stable. There have been no technical issues.

I use this solution on one computer and there is no way to expand on it as an end-user for one computer. On the administration end, it may be different.

I have not contacted technical support. I haven't had any issues, the setup was good, and the software doesn't seem to be complicated, so there hasn't been any reason to contact technical support.

I have has some issues with the connectivity, but it has nothing to do with the product, it is with the network connectivity with specific networks.

Previously we used CheckPoint Endpoint Remote Access VPN.

For a standard end-user, CheckPoint VPN is more complicated. It could be because it has more functions.

The initial setup was done by the Central Administrator.

All that I can say, is that when I received the computer it was working and I had no issues with it. It was set up well by the administrators.

Sometimes there is a problem with the number of licenses for the end-user.

The number of concurrent users is limited due to a valid license.

What other advice do I have?

I use this product on a day to day basis.

Take into consideration the appropriate ratio between the real number of users and the concurrent number of users. That was my experience when I was responsible for the remote working solutions for business continuity.

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

it_user1029069 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator
Supports Windows, Mac, and Linux Operating Systems, useful and easy to handle
  • "It is easy to handle, you can have it on Windows, Mac, and Linux."
  • "It would be useful to have an automatic install process where if you connect and you don't have the latest version, it should be automatically done."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to connect external users to our research center.

The deployment model is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to handle, you can have it on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

Often, there are new versions to install and that can be annoying for our users.

Having to deal with a new version every two weeks is a bit overdone.

It would be useful to have an automatic install process where if you connect and you don't have the latest version, it should be automatically done.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

In most cases, we are satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did not use a vendor or integrator, we did it by ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have a personal relationship with Cisco. We are customers.

This is a solution that I would recommend.

IT Consultant at Kowalik IT Consulting
Easy to handle and you can have it on Windows, Linux or Mac

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is to connect external users to our research center.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to handle. You can have it on Windows, Linux or Mac, which is quite useful.

What needs improvement?

Every two weeks there was a new version to install which was annoying for the users.

The price should be lower.

We have been using this solution for around six to eight years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

Technical support is good. We are satisfied.

We deployed it in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

User at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
An inconspicuous solution that is stable and easy to set up
  • "I like how I don't need to see the solution or start it up. I just use my computer and have it working in the background. I start my laptop and it's there and working. That's the most important feature."
  • "The hotspots give me connectivity issues occasionally. It could be easier to use if it allowed me to choose the hotspot."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to access of the information for our company: email, documents, etc.

What is most valuable?

I like how I don't need to see the solution or start it up. I just use my computer and have it working in the background. I start my laptop and it's there and working. That's the most important feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is handled through our IT department. They're very good.

We previously used a different solution. It came from the IT department but it wasn't very stable. They changed the VPN to AnyConnect and now it works well.

The initial setup was easy. You just install it on the computer and it starts working.

Our IT department handles the implementation.

We didn't evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I'm satisfied with the solution. I'd recommend it to others.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Software Tester at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A simple solution that is easy to use and can be connected remotely
  • "I like that it is really easy to use, it's a simple product. It can connect remotely with a secure network."
  • "The logout should be automized and it should have a reminder that you have logged in into a private network."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for infrastructure security for accounts.

What is most valuable?

I like that it is really easy to use, it's a simple product. It can connect remotely with a secure network.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be a little more modern looking and it would be nice for other users if it had easier integration.

Another point of improvement is that it is easy to forget that you are in a private network and it does not log you out automatically. I did not see that there is an option for that. It should log you out after a certain point. You can forget that you are browsing a private, local network. The logout should be automized and it should have a reminder that you have logged in into a private network.

We have been using this solution for around five years.

I never have stability issues.

It is probably well scalable. I have not scaled it for more people so I don't have experience with that.

I have never needed to contact their technical support.

I have not used a different VPN provider.

I have installed it on my PC and I did not have to connect all the IP addresses and stuff but the setup was simple.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anybody considering it. I think it is a good product.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.

it_user1028334 - PeerSpot reviewer
Quality Assurance Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A secure solution that allows for easy sharing of connections or credentials with colleagues
  • "I like the ability to share the connections or simply to be able to pass the credentials for a connection to other colleagues without bothering too much about the connection being tracked or about security, because each and every user will require a secret password, so I don't really care about sending the details. It's very secure."
  • "If they could simplify connections via other machines, like Linux or Mac OS X, it would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use them for our clients to connect to the servers.

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to share the connections or simply to be able to pass the credentials for a connection to other colleagues without bothering too much about the connection being tracked or about security. Each and every user will require a secret password, so I don't really care about sending the details. It's very secure.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I need to connect with Cisco AnyConnect and I don't have access to a Windows machine, so I need to run the client from a Linux machine. If I recall correctly, the last build for the Linux was five or six years ago. So, sometimes it happens that I have this issue with not being able to use Cisco AnyConnect just because I'm forced to use a Linux machine, and the client is very old and it doesn't connect to the current version they're running on the servers on which I want to connect, even though it should be compatible with the old version I have.

It's not really an issue from our side, though, because at the end of the day I always find the solution of connecting through a Windows machine but this requires at some point to connect through the VPN. I connect a Linux machine to a Windows machine, the Windows machine to one in the AnyConnect lines product just to connect to yet another Windows machine, which in turn I need to connect on a Linux machine, because in most cases, the actual servers around the world, the vast majority of them are running on Linux.

If they could simplify connections via other machines, like Linux or Mac OS X, it would be helpful.

It's quite stable. It is seldom disconnected. If I recall correctly it happened to us last year on several occasions while using it, it tended to disconnect. But the product is very stable.

In terms of scalability, I cannot comment because I only hear from the clients. I don't hear from the server-side.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to anyone who is considering its implementation.

I would rate this solution between a seven and an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022