Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Monitoring Carbon Black Agents with Forescout Extended Module for CB.
  • "Technical support is excellent."
  • "In the next release, it would help if we can get better control over containers."

What is our primary use case?

We use Carbon Black agents that are monitored by the Forescout Extended Module for CB. It will check that CB Agents are deployed and are in running state to secure containers across vmware environment.

The dashboard shows the security analyst who looks at the reports of the threats around policies monitoring Carbon Black agents. The discovery happens in Carbon Black, and as part of the discovery, it will monitor multiple Carbon Black agents. Deployment is on hybrid cloud VM cloud on AWS.

What is most valuable?

Technical support is excellent. It's also stable, scalable, and easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, it would help if we can get better control over containers. This will help secure the containers in multiple environments. For example, we need to secure the Kubernetes containers. Apart from admin user login to see containers processes running, developers & operate team users also should be seeing the container's processes running.

I have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for the past year.

Carbon Black CB Defense
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Carbon Black CB Defense is a stable product.

Carbon Black CB Defense is a scalable product.

We have extended support from the IT technical team and the engineering team from VMware. Their support is excellent. I don't see any issue with technical support.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. Typically it takes just two days to set up Carbon Black agents for the post cloud. A team of about 15 technical people deployed this solution.

There is a very big team from VMware, including VMware support, who implemented this solution.

The licensing costs depend on how many policies you have on the extended module for CB. We pay between $5,000 to $7,000 for a license for the Carbon Black monitoring agents.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Carbon Black CB Defense a seven.

Hybrid Cloud
Isanka Attanayake - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager - Information Technology Infrastructure and Development Support at Royal Ceramics
Provides endpoint security without a lot of intervention, but client performance could be improved
  • "The solution is very useful and easy to handle. You don't need much intervention with this product."
  • "The local technical support is very poor, but the support from headquarters is very nice."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our endpoint security system. The solution is cloud-based.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The client performance could be improved. When you install it in the client, the performance gets a bit disturbed.

In the user interface, the user needs to have more visibility regarding what's happening because it gives you a very simple client for the user. It doesn't give a full output for the user. It would be great if that could be improved.

I have been using this solution for more than four years. We are working with the latest version.

The solution is really stable.

It is scalable.

For the local technical support, I would rather rate it at one, even zero, out of five. I would rate the global support at three or four out of five.

We previously used Kaspersky, and we switched to Carbon Black because it's a cloud-based application. It also requires minimum handling and basically runs on its own when you set the policy, so it's very easy.

The solution is a bit complex. Deployment took around six months.

The partners helped us.

The license is annual. It's a standard license.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10 because of the support.

The product is very smooth and pretty simple. I like it, and anyone can use it. My advice is to be careful about the partners when you're selecting.

Carbon Black CB Defense
December 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KarthikR1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at NCR Corporation
We can instantly respond if a false positive occurs
  • "The product allows us to focus on endpoint and antivirus protection."
  • "The GUI and reporting should be addressed and the product's administration features need fine tuning."

What is our primary use case?

While there is an IR team that is responsible for managing EDR or deep analytics, our focus is on endpoint and antivirus protection. This is where we encounter signature updates. We look for false positives in their relation to file interpretation. Should anything occur, we can instantly respond. Instead of sending a sample and getting coverage, we can put a policy and place an immediate stop on the false positives.

What needs improvement?

While I consider the product to be top notch and am happy with it, its reporting aspects need to be addressed.

I would definitely recommend Carbon Black CB Defense to others who are contemplating using it, but its administration features need fine tuning. I believe this is already being addressed so that gaps can be filled as these relate to other leading technologies on the market.

The GUI and reporting should also be addressed.

We have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for the past seven to eight months.

I have not had occasion to make use of technical support, although I may have in the future, as I am the product person who is working with another experienced team and there is a process under way to migrate from McAfee to Carbon Black CB Defense.

The initial setup was a bit difficult since we had to do it manually or through the use of a script.

The price for the solution is completely at government level, meaning one which is very high, although it is up to management to consider this criteria.

What other advice do I have?

Our company has over a thousand people who utilize the product. Going forward, everything will be managed by Carbon Black CB Defense.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Senior NOC Security Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
MSP
Implementation and upgrading difficult but operates well
  • "Once the solution is installed and configured correctly it does not require a lot of hands-on attention until you need upgrading."
  • "There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved."

What is our primary use case?

My clients are using this solution for security as their frontline defense. They are using a whitelist that has all known software allowed.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are many different controls that are needed to be put into place for upgrading that makes it difficult. Having to re-engineer your IT infrastructure to match their software, as opposed to having it integrate and work independently causes difficulties. When there is an update to any software everyone has to be involved.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The solution has been working well, nothing stands out as an issue.

I have found this solution to be highly scalable. We have clients that are large-size companies using this solution.

The technical support was great when we used them.

I rate the technical support of Carbon Black CB Defense a nine out of ten.

The solutions provider has made great strides in the last four years making it easier to implement. However, the way their architecture is makes it difficult, the installation is quite a cumbersome process to integrate everything together.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is it not easy and it takes time and money.

I rate Carbon Black CB Defense a five out of ten.

Private Cloud
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other solutions
  • "CB Defense is more powerful, and you can take more actions than others. Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other security solutions."
  • "Integration is difficult, but CB Defense is more powerful than others. It is difficult to implement but easy to pick up many detections."

What is our primary use case?

CB Defense is a threat identification and protection solution. In general, it's more often deployed on the cloud than on-prem. The customer decides.

What is most valuable?

CB Defense is more powerful, and you can take more actions than others. Its security features and signatures are constantly updated, so it is more effective than other security solutions. We can integrate with XCDR. Carbon Black EDR integrates with Carbon Black EDE. But you don't need to integrate CB Defense with other external security solutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration is difficult, but CB Defense is more powerful than others. It is difficult to implement but easy to pick up many detections.

I've used CB Defense for a couple of years.

CB Defense is stable.

Carbon Black support is easy to access and helpful.

The installation is straightforward, but it requires two to four members of our team to implement it, and deployment takes a couple of hours. You need admins to install it because it involves setting permissions and requires documentation.

All EVV requires licenses for the appliances as well as the security features.

What other advice do I have?

I rate CB Defense nine out of 10. It's different, so it stands out among all the others. Carbon Black is more costly but also more powerful and effective, so I recommend it.

Hybrid Cloud
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Straightforward to set up, provides automatic site blocking, and forwards information to our SOC

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to provide threat intelligence to our SOC about our endpoints.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that it will block vulnerable sites. If there was a connection between one of our devices to a known malware site, it will block it. Then also alerts our SOC.

What needs improvement?

This product should be cheaper.

I have been working with Carbon Black CB Defense for three years.

Stability-wise, it is good.

I am satisfied with the scalability. We use it across the company and all of the users have it on their laptops. It's a mixture of IT people, finance, doctors, lawyers, dentists, and other professional services. It's a wide range of people and there are about 180 in total.

The technical support is okay.

We also use Sophos Intercept X in our business.

CB Defense is pretty straightforward to set up.

The implementation was done by my own team.

This is a really expensive product and we pay licensing fees on a yearly basis. The subscription includes technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Gian Michele Roletto - PeerSpot reviewer
SOC Manager at Nais Srl
Informative, dependable, and ideal for a medium-sized companies
  • "It is a very complete platform."
  • "They will most likely need to create or include a feature that checks the network."

What is most valuable?

It is a very complete platform. It is very useful for my customers.

Carbon Black CB Defense is ideal for a medium-sized business. It is not, in my opinion, suited for large enterprise companies.

Carbon Black works very well for the endpoint. It explains the situation very clearly.

What needs improvement?

I believe they could improve the new intelligence solution to monitor activity, in the network. They will most likely need to create or include a feature that checks the network.

I have worked with Carbon Black CB Defense for three or four years.

Carbon Black CB Defense is a very stable product.

The scalability of Carbon Black CB Defense is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense an eight out of ten.

Download our free Carbon Black CB Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022