Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
HeathLord - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President of Sales (previously Sales Engineer) at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Easy to scale, technical support is good, and the product stops spyware, malware, and viruses in their tracks
  • "It has intelligent learning behind it and we have been very successful in preventing attacks."
  • "At this point, we're test-bedding several other providers right now to see if there's anything that does equally or better and that comes at a better price point."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for stopping spyware, malware, and viruses in their tracks.

It's very good at doing that. It has intelligent learning behind it and we have been very successful in preventing attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a six-figure revenue stream knowing that we would be cleaning up viruses, malware, and spyware on PCs, every year. That was a revenue stream that we could just budget we were going to get. When we implemented Carbon Black, that revenue stream went to zero. That means that it's doing its job.

From a business perspective, we've been able to virtually eliminate cyber attacks from spyware, malware, and virus perspectives.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Carbon Black CB Defense for approximately three years.

We are using the most recent version.

Carbon Black CB Defense
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Carbon Black CB Defense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is fantastic!

The scalability is pretty easy.

Their offer to add to a tenant or spin up a new tenant, given the client sizes is large enough, has been pretty easy management so far.

I'm a managed service provider, and within my organization we only have between 40 and 50 employees managing endpoints for several thousand. My perspective will be slightly different. So, even though we use it as a company, we use this for our clients as well.

100% of our staff is trained on the use of Carbon Black because from the technical perspective, we need to be able to handle that as technicians and engineers.

As far as our clients, they don't know the difference. They don't see issues, they don't have attacks.

My interaction over the phone has been mostly on the business side of Carbon Black and they're fantastic over the phone. They're fantastic to deal with.

As far as the support side, I've never had to make a call to them.

I'm sure our lead engineer has had to make some calls for various reasons.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's super easy.

Our staff deployed this solution. We did not use an integrator or reseller, it was in-house.

I am currently reviewing Cylance and products from other vendors as part of our processes. We want to see what price points and feature sets and things like that, to see what would be better.

We want to know how Carbon Black compares to others; we've seen a little bit of that. I've got some documentation to review that. At this point, we're test-bedding several other providers right now to see if there's anything that does equally or better and that comes at a better price point.

What other advice do I have?

We have the cloud center, however, the application's installed on each endpoint individually.

Each client machine has it installed, locally, so it's off-premises for us. I'm assuming that they would be running on individual client PC.

The software is run here, we manage it within the cloud atmosphere.

We were an authorized reseller or we were an authorized business associate of Carbon Black. Since that's moved under Dell, I don't think that's a thing anymore. I would state that as we are mainly a Dell shop, we're an all in Dell shop. And so that's just a business decision we've made.

We were a Dell VMware Carbon Black client and we had a relationship with them that preexisted our Dell partnership. Before Dell acquired Carbon Black, we were a partner of Carbon Black's. We had acquired this technology and we were utilizing this technology for several years in advance of that acquisition.

I'd recommended Carbon Black CB Defense 100%.

Hybrid Cloud
Information Security Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable, lightweight, and easy to deploy
  • "The visibility provided has been great."
  • "The solution needs expanded endpoint query tools."

What is our primary use case?

The product is an endpoint security product. It's kind of like a replacement for a traditional antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the strong features of the product is its endpoint visibility. It gives you more visibility than a traditional antivirus would give you.

What is most valuable?

The visibility provided has been great.

The ease of deployment is definitely a great selling feature.

The stability is good and the product is pretty lightweight.

The solution scales well.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved. Some of the built-in reporting isn't ideal. They have an API and everything you need that you can kind of hook into the product pretty easily, however, it'd be nice to have some built-in reports instead of having to seek them elsewhere.

The solution needs expanded endpoint query tools.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The stability of the solution is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It seems to be a little bit lighter on resources than our previous antivirus.

The product can be scaled pretty high. We have about 3000 sensors deployed. However, it can go a lot higher than that. It depends on your internet connection for the reporting or the information, basically.

We have kind of a desktop security team that is about five individuals that administer the product part-time, and that can access the console. A couple of them are the ones that spend the most time in it.

We use the solution extensively and we may look at expanding the EDR  - stepping up to one of the other products and adding capabilities. Therefore, we're likely to increase usage in some form in the future.

Technical support needs some improvement. They don't seem to respond so well to technical help. The good thing is we don't need that much, however, they need to probably improve that a little bit for others who might require more assistance.

We had McAfee antivirus and it was difficult to tune the policy without compromising security, I would say. Its footprint was a little high. Its performance wasn't that great in terms of end-point performance.

The solution is easy to deploy. The implementation process is simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

While the rollout is pretty easy, you have to kind of tune it a little bit for applications as it discovers them.

To deploy a sensor, it takes just a couple of minutes or so. Then, to kind of tune the policy itself, you are probably looking at a couple of weeks.

Initially, we use the services provided by the vendor, like an on-ramp kind of service. They were great. The team was pretty helpful.

We pay about $15 a node. It's just a standard licensing fee and that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I've been using the latest version of the solution.

The sensors are on-premises, however, the console is in the cloud. It's a VMware product that runs on Amazon.

I'd advise those considering the solution to seek out some of the training to see if you can get it bundled in with the deployment. The more advanced training, to kind of how to tune the policy and stuff like that, would be helpful to have.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten as there's still room for improvement in things like reporting. However, the impact on performance and the ability to have greater visibility were pluses in my book.

Carbon Black CB Defense
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager - System Administration at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to set up and offers good protection but the on-premises deployment has a lot of issues
  • "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "With the on-prem one, the bug has been reported by the community in early January or February, something like that, at the beginning of the year, and it's still not addressed. They have released two versions since then, and yet neither of them addresses this specific issue."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for operations and also security. On the security front, we have a specific project that's ongoing right now. We are moving away from the on-prem Carbon Black to the cloud one.

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

The protection of the user machines has been great. For example, if a laptop gets stolen, or let's say, an employee gets let go, the product provides us with the ability to actually lock people out of the network and handle remote wipes and stuff like that.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The on-prem one was very problematic, especially version 7.2, which did not play nice with Symantec at all. The last upgrade of the client actually triggered a block to the networking, to our active directory domain controllers.

There was a bug that we found was in Macs. It was triggering false positives as it wasn't able to figure out the right parent upon login. With the Carbon Black Cloud, we just got it two to three weeks ago. So far, I haven't seen any false positives. The cloud seems to be a much better product.

With the on-prem one, the bug has been reported by the community in early January or February, something like that, at the beginning of the year, and it's still not addressed. They have released two versions since then, and yet neither of them addresses this specific issue.

I need more time to explore the cloud deployment, as we've only had it for three weeks at this point.

It's been at least four years since we started using the solution. Four or five years.

We started with the on-prem one and now we're in yet another project with a cloud deployment.

While the on-prem has some bugs we have been dealing with, so far, after using the could for three weeks, it's like night and day. It's been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches.

I'm not aware of the scalability capabilities yet, as I don't have the entire company on it yet. We are still in testing mode. We just got the cloud deployment three weeks ago. So I can't really answer that truthfully.

Right now, we have seven people on the solution currently.

We haven't yet used the technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be.

That said, we did use technical support when we were on the on-premises version, and they were terrible. We would ask for bug fixes and new versions would come and yet they would not actually fix the problems that were highlighted.

We also use Red Cloak, which is a completely different prody=uct and something that we still use.

The initial setup is very simple. The cloud version in particular is very simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

I'm not dealing with the pricing. I can't speak to the costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

There are two versions of Carbon Black that VMware has, one of them is the on-prem one and the endpoint clients are in the user machines and servers, so AWS and data center and VSS.

I'd advise those interested in the solution to go with the cloud deployment model. We've had a lot of issues with the on-premises version.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. There seems to be quite a disparity between the cloud and on-premises versions.

Infrastructure and support manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Amazing EDR that is responsive but there is no support for MAC and Linux
  • "The EDR and reports were helpful in improving our organization."
  • "Based on all the security roles and the release privilege, it could take time for an application to be whitelisted and approved for use."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for EDR, as well as endpoint protection, the whitelisting feature.

How has it helped my organization?

The EDR and reports were helpful in improving our organization.

What is most valuable?

The EDR was amazing. It was very responsive. It did an excellent job of providing us the information we needed in a timely fashion, as long as the latest agent was up-to-date on the client.

What needs improvement?

The whitelisting system, and the concept of it, overall, is pretty decent. The problem with the whitelisting capability is that it's pretty archaic. Based on all the security roles and the release privilege, it could take time for an application to be whitelisted and approved for use.

The Mac support needs improvement, as it had next to none.

The biggest problem we had was the Mac support. It had very little, and my C-suite is almost exclusively Mac, as is my marketing and development department.

We had used the Carbon Black CB Defense for two years. We changed to another solution approximately nine months ago.

We were using the latest version at the time.

The stability of the on-premises servers had no issues but the resource allocation on the clients was a bit high, especially with having to run two agents. The detection agent, the Whitelist, and the control agent.

We didn't have any problems scaling this solution.

It did the job. It was great for Windows, but it had no Mac support and had nothing for Linux, which makes it hard.

We had 150 users in our organization. Their roles varied from CSF departments through to my C-suite.

Technical support seemed pretty good and I didn't have any problems with it.

If we had a problem or a question, and they would get back to us in a reasonable amount of time.

The only place that we ran into trouble was with Macs. That's my general theme here with Carbon Black, unfortunately.

I would rate them an eight or a nine. They were good for the most part.

Previously, we were on the Kaspersky Enterprise Solution for a couple of years. It was a signature-based system. Signature-based systems are getting easier to get around by the attackers these days, so we swapped over to something that is a little closer to attack vectors, which says, don't run anything that we don't approve.

The initial setup was moderate.

What other advice do I have?

For others who are interested in using Carbon Black, I would recommend checking your use case. If your use case is Linux and Mac, then it will be problematic, based on my experience.

These days, with VMware taking them over, I'm willing to bet that that's going to change.

I see some redemption in their future, with VMware owning them. VMware is a very strong player in the workspace, and especially with their workspace tool that VMware's building to work with Windows, Mac, and Linux clients, in order to do VDI.

For the Windows endpoints, it was incredibly useful, nothing got through it, which is a bad thing in some cases because we hadn't tagged the certificate platform appropriately. So, it's a bit of an improvement needed there, but the biggest complaint is around the operating systems not being available.

I would rate Carbon Black CB Defense a seven out of ten.

Senior Director, Information Technology at C.E. Niehoff & Co.
Has an ongoing monitoring feature that emails updates when endpoint threats are detected
  • "The feature I found most valuable in Carbon Black CB Defense is the ongoing monitoring feature that works by emailing updates about any detections found."
  • "What was rolled out to my company are mixed versions of Carbon Black CB Defense, so what I'd like to see in the next release is more synchronization, where it can detect the endpoint that's running an old version and suggest updates."

What is our primary use case?

Carbon Black CB Defense is a sensor for ongoing monitoring. It was deployed and is being used in conjunction with a cloud product called Red Canary.

What is most valuable?

The feature I found most valuable in Carbon Black CB Defense is the ongoing monitoring, though I'm not sure if it's because of the solution, or if it's because of Red Canary. The ongoing monitoring feature works by emailing updates about any detections found.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it's hard to comment on areas for improvement, because I haven't used Carbon Black CB Defense long enough.

What was rolled out to my company are mixed versions of Carbon Black CB Defense, so what I'd like to see in the next release is more synchronization, where it can detect the endpoint that's running an old version and suggest updates. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

I've been using Carbon Black CB Defense since October of last year.

I haven't had any major degradation in the performance of Carbon Black CB Defense, so I find it stable. It's holding up very well.

I have no comment on the scalability of Carbon Black CB Defense at this point.

I haven't even had to reach out to the technical support team of Carbon Black CB Defense at this point, so no comment.

I did not use a different solution. This was the first time I used this type of solution.

In terms of initial setup, rolling out Carbon Black CB Defense was pretty straightforward. It wasn't that big of a deal.

The deployment of Carbon Black CB Defense was done in-house, and took two weeks total, because it was a hybrid deployment, which means that it was done on a one-on-one basis.

In terms of ROI from Carbon Black CB Defense, it's a little early to see it.

In terms of licensing costs, Carbon Black CB Defense was all associated with CROW and the services my company is using with them, so it came all-inclusive.

My company didn't evaluate other options, because Carbon Black CB Defense was suggested by CROW. My company just went with what they suggested.

What other advice do I have?

I have experience with Carbon Black CB Defense. My company has already adopted a solution that uses Carbon Black CB Defense, particularly with a company called CROW.

Carbon Black CB Defense was deployed hybrid in terms of what my company does. The cloud provider used was CROW.

My company has 200 users of Carbon Black CB Defense. It's being used in the whole environment. Three people from IT are in charge of the maintenance and full deployment of the solution.

In terms of increasing usage, the solution is being used in the entire environment, and usage will be increased if there's growth in personnel.

At this junction, I'm rating Carbon Black CB Defense an eight.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Haniya Technologies
Reseller
Quick to deploy with a very powerful antivirus engine and and helpful technical support
  • "The product is pretty strong in terms of security and their features are very good in that respect."
  • "The pricing could be more reasonable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily leverage the product for its security functionality.

What is most valuable?

The product is pretty strong in terms of security and their features are very good in that respect. Their research engine, the antivirus engine, it's very strong compared to any other product on the market right now.

The solution is stable.

They do have options on the market that can scale.

Technical support is great.

It's not too difficult to set up and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

Carbon Black does not have a big market in Pakistan right now. They are actually trying to penetrate the region right now. They don't have many customers. Even we are new to the Carbon Black as well, in that we knew about Carbon Black for a long time, however, as far as implementing it and giving it to our customers, we are still new to it.

The pricing could be more reasonable.

I've been dealing with the solution for six to seven years or so. It's been a while.

The stability has been excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is good.

There are versions of the product that can scale.

We have about three customers that use the product at this time. It's not that many as it's not a well-known product in our region.

Normally they have pretty good technical support. Specifically, if you purchase the technical support directly from Carbon Black, then they are very responsive and very quick.

I also deal with McAfee and Kaspersky.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, and the deployment is fairly quick. Of course, it depends on the environment. However, it shouldn't take more than a day or two to set up and to have everything up and running.

We have one person, an engineer, that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks as necessary.

We are able to implement the solution for our clients.

The pricing could always be a bit better. They could work to make it less expensive. Right now, they are far and above more expensive than other similar options on the market.

The license costs are paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers.

The solution can be deployed both on-premises and in the cloud.

I would definitely advise new users of just this one thing: that before thinking about Carbon Black or purchasing it, they should look for other solutions as well. As far as the cost is concerned, Carbon Black is much more expensive than any other product. That's something that needs to be taken into account.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

IT Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Puts very little load on the servers, does an excellent job, and has very good pricing
  • "I found it very valuable as a whole. It is good at detecting anything and has kept us very safe. It is also very easy to use."
  • "I haven't run into anything that needs improvement. The website interface can be a little bit better, but it's still good as compared to most others."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for protecting our file servers. Its version is kept up to date, so it should be fairly current.

How has it helped my organization?

We found that Trend Micro was producing a little bit more load on our servers than what we wanted. So, we went to Carbon Black because it was integrated with VMware. It is great on the servers. It puts very little load, and it does an excellent job.

What is most valuable?

I found it very valuable as a whole. It is good at detecting anything and has kept us very safe. It is also very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I haven't run into anything that needs improvement. The website interface can be a little bit better, but it's still good as compared to most others.

I have been using it for close to a year.

It is stable.

I believe it is very scalable. In terms of its users, for the most part, there are only two of us using it. I am the IT administrator and primary user, and we have an IT support person who handles PCs and backs me up on servers. We are taking care of its deployment and maintenance.

We are looking at the possibility of expanding its usage in the future to include desktops.

I've never had to call technical support.

We were using Trend Micro Apex One on our servers, and we found that Trend Micro tended to load the servers up a little bit. That's why we switched to Carbon Black.

It was very straightforward. It was very easy to set up.

Its deployment didn't take that long at all. We purchased it and then just installed it on different servers, one at a time.

We did it ourselves.

I've never calculated an ROI on it.

Its pricing was very good, which is one of the reasons I went to it as an alternative. It is on a yearly basis. There are no additional fees.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you're running a VMware environment, you can definitely go ahead and use it.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

Syed Faisal - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT Manager at SecurEyes
A stable solution which can be flexibily configured

What is our primary use case?

Carbon Black CB Defense is a multi-purpose solution. We can use it for XDR ADF. This way, if someone is trying to attack one's end point, in which there is a script such as PowerShell, but without a signature, the solution will be aware of such an attack and respond accordingly. It will detect the behavior and respond to the SOC.

What is most valuable?

The solution will prevent communication of one compromised device with another.

What needs improvement?

In the month-long evaluation of the solution that we conducted, we found the POC to not be helpful, owing to the issue the client encountered with the platform, the operating system, which did not lend adequate support.

While we paid for both on-cloud and on-premises deployment, the issue is not with the entrepreneur's upload, but with the end point.

And do you have already some customers regarding Carbon Black?

Syed Faisal:
No, even Carbon Black, everyone has this solution for Windows IoT and Linux environment. But this is something called the product called Dell. This is a Dell based, [inaudible 00:02:31]. More or less the Dell [inaudible 00:02:33] which is running Dell customer OS, [inaudible 00:02:39]. But unfortunately we cannot install the agent on it.

The licensing price is a bit expensive when compared with other solutions.

We've been using Carbon Black CB Defense for just a month.

The solution is scalable.

The solution is stable and the policy can be configured with flexibility. The solution comes with its own pre-built standard policy. Yet, we can write our own, which means the solution serves us going forward.

The tech support is mostly okay.

The solution is very easy to install.

Full deployment takes no more than an hour.

Installation can be done on one's own.

The licensing is a bit pricier than other solutions.

We pay for the license annually.

What other advice do I have?

While I do not know the exact number of customers making use of the solution, my understanding is that most of the MNC, multinational companies, and the majority of the banking sector are doing so.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate Carbon Black CB Defense as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Carbon Black CB Defense Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022