Azure Web Application Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Azure Web Application Firewall is the #14 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Azure Web Application Firewall an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Azure Web Application Firewall is most commonly compared to AWS WAF: Azure Web Application Firewall vs AWS WAF. Azure Web Application Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.

Download the Web Application Firewall (WAF) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Azure Web Application Firewall?

Azure Web Application Firewall (WAF) provides centralized protection of your web applications from common exploits and vulnerabilities. Web applications are increasingly targeted by malicious attacks that exploit commonly known vulnerabilities. SQL injection and cross-site scripting are among the most common attacks.

To learn more about our solution, ask questions, and share feedback, join our Microsoft Security, Compliance and Identity Community.

Azure Web Application Firewall Video

Azure Web Application Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft and the pricing is good."
  • "The price of the solution depends on your architecture and how you manage it. You can control the cost in Azure quite well. The costs do not directly correlate to expenses in the features we are using."
  • "The price is for this solution is fair and there is a license needed."
  • Azure Web Application Firewall Reviews

Mrigendra Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Specialist - Azure Cloud at HCL Technologies Ltd
    Easy to understand with good support and an easy initial setup
    • "It's quite a stable product and works well with Microsoft products."
    • "From a reporting perspective, they could do more there."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for filtering the web application traffic.

It's based on the matrix configured by the application server. That traffic will be filtered based on incoming traffic. It'll transfer the outgoing traffic to the endpoint.

What is most valuable?

We're just monitoring post-configuration. The monitoring is good. It was pretty much issue-free.

It's quite a stable product and works well with Microsoft products.

The initial setup is very easy.

It's scalable.

Technical support is helpful.

This is a trustworthy product. Microsoft is well-known and respected around the world.

There are a lot of features, including features for standard and premium deployments. Small businesses can use the product and easily move up as they grow.

What needs improvement?

I haven't had any issues and can't speak to any areas needed for improvement.

From a reporting perspective, they could do more there. They could make the reporting features more robust.

I've used the solution for just over four and a half years.

Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Fortinet and others in Web Application Firewall (WAF). Updated: November 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution has been very stable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. We've never had any type of technical challenge.

We currently have a 15-memebr team using the solution and handling the monitoring. That's for a specific project. We use it every day.

We can scale the solution up and down according to our needs. It's an easy license for scaling.

The technical support is knowledgeable. They are professional and personal as well. They check in and call and give us good support. We're in India, and sometimes we get another Indian tech and we can speak in our native language as well, which is helpful. It helps to discuss things in our own language as it helps us understand the challenges we are facing better.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I've never used a different WAF solution. I've only really used Microsoft products over the course of my career.

The solution is very straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex. I'd rate the ease of setup a five out of five.

I don't deal with the pricing of the cost of the solution. I'm not sure how the licensing works.

What other advice do I have?

We're Microsoft partners.

I'd recommend the solution as it is easy to understand and easy to integrate. It's very stable and we trust it as a recognized Microsoft product.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Lead Testing & Commissioning Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward to set up, brilliant support, and it allows us to publish applications behind the firewall
    • "The most valuable feature is that it allows us to publish our applications behind the firewall."
    • "The management can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to protect the service from outside, as well as for our connectivity within the branches.

How has it helped my organization?

We already have some of our workloads published outside of Azure, and this allows them to connect to the database.

It is helping us to build a managed service model for our clients.

What is most valuable?

We are able to synchronize all of our common threads.

What needs improvement?

Any new security features that are released in the future will help us.

The management can be improved.

We have been using the Azure Web Application Firewall for two years.

Stability-wise, this service is good.

The scalability is very good. We do plan on increasing our usage in the future.

We have brilliant support from Microsoft, and I would rate them as very good.

We were using another solution but it was not cloud-based. We implemented the Azure WAF because more of our workloads are moving to the cloud. Ultimately, we want all of our workloads to be on the cloud.

The initial setup is straightforward, and not complicated at all.

We deployed this solution ourselves.

We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft and the pricing is good.

We did not evaluate other options before implementing Azure WAF.

What other advice do I have?

In summary,l this is a good product, although I would recommend using FortiGate over this solution for a web application firewall.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
    Web Application Firewall (WAF)
    November 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Assistant Consultant at Tata Consultancy
    Reseller
    Minimal skills required, automation available, and responsive technical support
    • "We have found the most valuable features to be the web application, minimal skills required for management, control through policies, and automation."
    • "The support for proxy forwarding could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a reverse proxy and for log analytics of the workspace.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the past organizations we have worked for was able to get up to approximately 400,000 users. It was a huge use case with this solution and was successful.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The support for proxy forwarding could improve.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years.

The stability is really good.

The scalability is good. However, this depends on how many subscriptions you have and how many you can actually deploy. We have a workaround for our architecture to scale up, we do not have a problem at this time.

We have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, we have never had an issue with the technical support.

The initial setup is very easy.

The price of the solution depends on your architecture and how you manage it. You can control the cost in Azure quite well. The costs do not directly correlate to expenses in the features we are using.

What other advice do I have?

When using other solutions there can be many complications when integrating. I would definitely prefer only Azure native solutions.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Azure Web Application Firewall a nine out of ten.

Muralidharan Neelameghan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Group CIO at e-Volve Innovation Pt
    Good dashboards, stable, with decent technical support
    • "The solution has good dashboards."
    • "Deployment should be simplified so that a non-techie can handle it."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases of this solution are mainly for UPII, DDoS phishing and spam. This is the first VAP solution that I've used. I'm group CIO and we are customers of Azure.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good dashboards.

What needs improvement?

I think deployment should be simplified so that a non-techie can handle it. I also have concerns about the impact of the firewall on performance. I haven't fully experienced the solution yet, but it's an issue with every firewall and something that needs to be evaluated.

I've only been using this solution for a couple of weeks.

The solution is stable but having not used it for very long, there might be issues with how it pushes back on performance. We'll have to wait and see. For now, it's stable.

I haven't had any issues with technical support.

For now, we have a prime account. We have to see what pricing will be based on what we deploy and how it's done. A regular license fee looks better than AWS just in terms of simplicity.

I evaluated Symantec to see how they use machine learning and the loss created from the logs.

What other advice do I have?

One should be cautious when comparing it with a third party that's more into AI and machine learning. It's important to study the solution and its governance.

I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Priced fair, straightforward install, and scalable

What needs improvement?

There is a need to be able to configure the solution more.

In the future, I would like to see the ability to activate using a public or private IP.

I have been using the solution for approximately three and a half years.

It has been a stable product in my experience.

The solution is scalable. We have many clients using this solution.

The setup was easy, it took 45 minutes for one administrator.

The price is for this solution is fair and there is a license needed.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Azure Web Application Firewall an eight out of ten.

Download our free Web Application Firewall (WAF) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Fortinet, and more!
    Updated: November 2022