Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

AWS Snowball OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is AWS Snowball?

Snowball is a petabyte-scale data transport solution that uses devices designed to be secure to transfer large amounts of data into and out of the AWS Cloud. Using Snowball addresses common challenges with large-scale data transfers including high network costs, long transfer times, and security concerns. Customers today use Snowball to migrate analytics data, genomics data, video libraries, image repositories, backups, and to archive part of data center shutdowns, tape replacement or application migration projects. Transferring data with Snowball is simple, fast, more secure, and can be as little as one-fifth the cost of transferring data via high-speed Internet.

AWS Snowball was previously known as Amazon AWS Snowball, Amazon Snowball, Snowball.

AWS Snowball Customers

Wazee Digital, Craftsy, Live Nation, Essess

AWS Snowball Video

Archived AWS Snowball Reviews (more than two years old)

AnupChapalgaonkar - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Very scalable, with good technical support and good setup assistance
  • "You are able to scale the solution vertically. It's very scalable."
  • "The stability of the solution isn't ideal and should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are trying to model the solution with some other vendors like Azure on a public cloud environment. We are creating some scale models will identify the public cloud networks over the internet. We are trying to evaluate the functionality.

What is most valuable?

We are currently exploring the solution, as it's still quite new to our organization.

What needs improvement?

We are experiencing a few glitches that could be improved. The stability could be adjusted.

We've been using the solution for three months.

The stability of the solution isn't ideal and should be improved.

You are able to scale the solution vertically. It's very scalable.

We have eight to ten thousand users on the solution currently.

We've been satisfied with technical support.

The actual implementation on the production side is complex. To understand it is very simple, however.

We've had AWS consultants assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We have an entirely public cloud environment. Once it has been successfully deployed on the public channel we can't extend that functionality to the hybrid one.

We're a very large company with around 20 million users that include architects, developers, and admin and staff.

It's a very nice service. We'd highly recommend it. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

BaijuShah - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Ebiashara Africa Limited
Transfers data easily into and out of the cloud for all size clients

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Snowball is ETL data extract. Transform and load. That's what we're using Snowball for at the moment. So basically adding an analytical layer on top of the current data warehouses for some of our customers.

What is most valuable?

From our point of view, one of the most important features are the ability to combine, to mesh data together. Also, the ability to have them compute out of AWS rather than buying our own infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

It does have room for improvement. The ability to better ingest some of the big data.

Also, improvement with prepackaging of the tool, rather than trying to use the developer set. Meaning to prepackage the solution better for different industries. Today, you don't get to prepackage, you have to build a lot of this from scratch.

I have a list of 40 items on my desk, which I shared with AWS to hopefully help them in their road map on the next program.

I have been using AWS for about three years now and Snowball for the last six, seven months.

I find it extremely stable compared to the rest. I think maybe because of the infrastructure AWS provides.

With AWS you can scale, you have elastic scalability.

In our company we are 100-150 users. Not all technicians, some are end users. Some are technicians, some are services for providing solutions to customers down the line.

Our experience with technical support is very good. Very, very good. There's been a lot of technical support. We are an APN partner here.

We just got into data migration recently, so we just began with AWS out and out. We find it easy to use.

The setup is really easy. For me it's easy but I don't know about for the rest

Last week we deployed it in three days maximum from start to finish for one build. One dashboard literally.

In terms of advice for future users, plan to assess your data correctly and make sure that the AWS architecture is built correctly.

What other advice do I have?

We are part of the AWS Partner network.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Lead Developer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good user interface, upload data without using a network at a high speed and for a low cost
  • "It's a nice way of shipping a lot of data without using a network."
  • "It's not an easy product to start using for a beginner, but If you're a professional, it's easy to understand."

What is our primary use case?

This is a product used to upload huge amounts of data into the cloud. That's the scope of it. For that purpose, it's authentic, and I don't think that there are competitive alternatives available.

You can upload huge amounts of data like archiving.

What is most valuable?

I know that this product works very well. There is a logistic process behind it.

With Snowball, you ship physical discs to Amazon to have it uploaded to the cloud.

It's a nice way of shipping a lot of data without using a network.

The interface is great! It's user-friendly.

The most valuable feature is the upload of data at a high speed for a low cost.

What needs improvement?

This is not a product for beginners. It's not an end user's tool, it's a tool to be used by service providers or large companies with experienced people and for them, the interface is ok. It has excellent detail.

I have not used this product at all, but I know about it through research.

We have investigated this solution thoroughly.

This solution is stable.

This solution is very scalable.

We have not contacted technical support.

The initial setup is complex.

This is not something for an end-user. You would have to get some help with it.

It's not a cheap solution, but the price is right for the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently using Microsoft Azure for authentication with Okta for a single sign-on.

We have just looked at this product, but will most likely use it in the future.

We have no way of knowing what this product might need until we start using it and exploring the technology accessible.

Aymen Jlassi - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant / CTO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Leaderboard
A great solution with a simple interface that's stable, reliable and user-friendly
  • "The way the data is moved is very clever. Also, the interface is very simple and user-friendly."
  • "It would be helpful if Snowball provided more kinds of connectivity. That will make it easier to add and move data."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily have used the solution to move data. If we have a huge amount of data and we need to move it, we request a Snowball, a box from Amazon. It's shipped to the customer location and we connect it to the environment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if Snowball provided more kinds of connectivity. That will make it easier to add and move data.

If AWS or Amazon invested in a software solution that could replace Snowball, it would be a good idea. If AWS invests in and provides for a very powerful storage gateway that can connect to the customer's storage and start making the data transfer, I think it would be better.

I've used the solution three or four times.

The stability is good; I haven't faced any issues so far.

I don't see any way to add more scalability to the product.

I've never had to contact technical support for Snowball directly, but I have for other AWS products and they've always been great.

We didn't previously use a different product. In the past, we'd try to move a smaller amount of data using either command lines or the web databases.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It only requires one or two steps. The time it takes to deploy depends on the customer data, but at maximum, it should take a week. You only need one or two people to deploy the solution.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

You may need to pay customs fees or taxes on the Snowball shipment, but beyond the cost of the solution, that's it.

We did look at other solutions, but we chose Snowball because it's reliable and easy to use and gave us more style and less work.

What other advice do I have?

I was working with the public cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. If you have a large amount of data, it's a perfect way to move it to the cloud.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.