IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

AWS Fargate OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Fargate is #8 ranked solution in top Compute Service tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Fargate an average rating of 10 out of 10. AWS Fargate is most commonly compared to Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling: AWS Fargate vs Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling. AWS Fargate is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a media company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the Compute Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is AWS Fargate?

A new compute engine that enables you to use containers as a fundamental compute primitive without having to manage the underlying instances. With Fargate, you don’t need to provision, configure, or scale virtual machines in your clusters to run containers. Fargate can be used with Amazon ECS today, with plans to support Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (Amazon EKS) in the future.

Fargate has flexible configuration options so you can closely match your application needs and granular, per-second billing.

AWS Fargate Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
AWS Fargate Video

AWS Fargate Reviews

International Transportation at Bosch
A serverless, pay-as-you-go compute engine that you can deploy quickly
  • "I like their containerization service. You can use Docker or something similar and deploy quickly without the know-how related to, for example, Kubernetes. If you use AKS or Kubernetes, then you have to have the know-how. But for Fargate, you don't need to have the know-how there. You just deploy the container or the image, and then you have the container, and you can use it as AWS takes care of the rest. This makes it easier for those getting started or if you don't have a strong DevOps team inside your organization."
  • "I heard from my team that it's not easy to predict the cost. That is the only issue we have with AWS Fargate, but I think that's acceptable. AWS Fargate isn't user-friendly. Anything related to Software as a Service or microservice architecture is not easy to implement. You're required to have DevOps from your side to implement the solution. AWS Fargate is just a temporary solution for us. When we grow to a certain level, we may use AKS for better control."

What is most valuable?

I like their containerization service. You can use Docker or something similar and deploy quickly without the know-how related to, for example, Kubernetes. If you use AKS or Kubernetes, then you have to have the know-how. But for Fargate, you don't need to have the know-how there. You just deploy the container or the image, and then you have the container, and you can use it as AWS takes care of the rest. This makes it easier for those getting started or if you don't have a strong DevOps team inside your organization.

What needs improvement?

I heard from my team that it's not easy to predict the cost. That is the only issue we have with AWS Fargate, but I think that's acceptable. AWS Fargate isn't user-friendly. Anything related to Software as a Service or microservice architecture is not easy to implement. You're required to have DevOps from your side to implement the solution. AWS Fargate is just a temporary solution for us. When we grow to a certain level, we may use AKS for better control.

I have been using AWS Fargate for around three years.

AWS Fargate is a stable solution.
Compute Service
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle and others in Compute Service. Updated: May 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think AWS is the top tier right now, and I have no concern about scalability. If there is any issue related to scalability, I believe it's just a problem with our DevOps team's ability or architecture. Because, for example, Twitter or Netflix use AWS service, and there's no hassle there.

We also use Azure because Azure is our preferred repository for internal services. We use Azure for internal customers, and for external customers, we use AWS.

I think the initial setup was straightforward. For the DevOps part, you just need one person. But because it's an ongoing product, we have more than ten developers taking care of it.

Our in-house team implemented this solution.

What other advice do I have?

What's suitable for potential users depends on their company's IT capability. For a small company, it's best to engage a consultant service for help. For example, we could consult others on the solution in my previous outsourcing company. It wouldn't have been a very good one if we did it ourselves. My current company is very big, and we have the know-how here, and it's easier for us to make the decision. On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Fargate an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
Líder de Proyecto at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Everything works like a charm
  • "If you create your deployment with a good set of rules for how to scale in, you can just set it and forget it."
  • "The main area for improvement is the cost, which could be lowered to be more competitive with other major cloud providers."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the complete independence of doing administrative courses for your deployment. You don't have to touch them or do fine-tuning to create more scale out or scale in. If you create your deployment with a good set of rules for how to scale in, you can just set it and forget it.

What needs improvement?

The main area for improvement is the cost, which could be lowered to be more competitive with other major cloud providers. Because eventually, the cost of the infrastructure gets higher, which means clients opt for fewer deployments in order to cut costs.

I've been using this solution for two and a half years.

What other advice do I have?

Everything in this solution works like a charm. I'd rate it as ten out of ten.

Download our free Compute Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Apache, Oracle, and more!
Updated: May 2022