Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

AWS Directory Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Directory Service is #8 ranked solution in top Identity and Access Management as a Service providers. PeerSpot users give AWS Directory Service an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. AWS Directory Service is most commonly compared to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD): AWS Directory Service vs Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). AWS Directory Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is AWS Directory Service?

AWS Directory Service lets you run Microsoft Active Directory (AD) as a managed service. AWS Directory Service for Microsoft Active Directory, also referred to as AWS Managed Microsoft AD, is powered by Windows Server 2012 R2. When you select and launch this directory type, it is created as a highly available pair of domain controllers connected to your virtual private cloud (VPC). The domain controllers run in different Availability Zones in a region of your choice. Host monitoring and recovery, data replication, snapshots, and software updates are automatically configured and managed for you.

AWS Directory Service was previously known as AWS Managed Microsoft AD.

AWS Directory Service Customers
Expedia, Intuit, Royal Dutch Shell, Brooks Brothers
AWS Directory Service Video

Archived AWS Directory Service Reviews (more than two years old)

IT Auditor & Compliance Officer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, but better integration with other business solutions would be useful
  • "The most valuable feature is ease of use."
  • "I would like to see better integration with other business solutions."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

The documentation is okay.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with other business solutions.

I have been using AWS Directory Service for less than one year.

This solution is stable.

Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS)
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Okta and others in Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS). Updated: September 2022.
635,513 professionals have used our research since 2012.

AWS Directory Service is a scalable solution. We have thirty users in our company and we do plan on increasing our usage.

Technical support is ok.

I have used Microsoft Active Directory, and we switched because AWS Directory Service is easier to use.

The initial setup was straightforward. I think that it took about two weeks to deploy.

Two people are suitable for maintenance.

The pricing is reasonable.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first make sure that they want to use other AWS services. If they do not intend to do so, then they can simply use Microsoft Active Directory.

This solution does what we want to achieve.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Senior Datacenter Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Easy to assign information and to manage the resources in the network
  • "I like the manageability. Activate Connect makes it easier to assign information and to manage the resources in the network."
  • "The group policy can be improved."

What is most valuable?

I like the manageability. Activate Connect makes it easier to assign information and to manage the resources in the network.

What needs improvement?

The group policy can be improved.

I have been using AWS Directory Service for six years.

It is stable .

It is scalable.

We have been in touch with technical support. They were good.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment didn't take more than a half-hour for an expert to setup.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is that before working on this it is better to have good theoretical knowledge about this solution, otherwise if something goes wrong it can impact the entire use.

The private cloud hypervisor is not so stable so far. They should improve the stability in the next release.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Download our free Identity and Access Management as a Service (IDaaS) (IAMaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, Okta, and more!
Updated: September 2022