Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

AWS Database Migration Service OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AWS Database Migration Service is #5 ranked solution in top Cloud Data Integration tools. PeerSpot users give AWS Database Migration Service an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. AWS Database Migration Service is most commonly compared to AWS Glue: AWS Database Migration Service vs AWS Glue. AWS Database Migration Service is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide

Download the AWS Database Migration Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is AWS Database Migration Service?

AWS Database Migration Service helps you migrate databases to AWS quickly and securely. The source database remains fully operational during the migration, minimizing downtime to applications that rely on the database. The AWS Database Migration Service can migrate your data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases.

AWS Database Migration Service was previously known as AWS Data Migration Service.

AWS Database Migration Service Customers

Veoci, Trimble, Nasdaq, shaadi.com, Hotelbeds, SysAid, Verizon, Expedia, Pega

AWS Database Migration Service Video

AWS Database Migration Service Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AWS Database Migration Service pricing:
  • "It's typically a pay-for-what-you-use kind of model, and most of the cost is based on the instance class for the replication instance."
  • "AWS Database Migration Service is the least expensive solution, but is still expensive."
  • "Cost is the only factor that is challenging."
  • "Pricing can be improved."
  • AWS Database Migration Service Reviews

Mikael Kohlmyr - PeerSpot reviewer
    Engineering Manager / Lead Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    IAM roles and policies are difficult to work with, log rotations are hard to manage, resource destruction is not reliable, and task settings can be changed by AWS during operation
    • "The fact that it's well-integrated into multiple targets that are good for different use cases is pretty good."
    • "The way that the task settings work, specifically for logging, is really poor."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for change data capture (CDC). Essentially turning PostgreSQL (RDS) database commits into an event source for triggering other services via an event streaming solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We brought this solution in to enable future event sourcing solutions, rather than to impact existing services.

What is most valuable?

The wide variety of integrations that are possible is a significant benefit. In addition to our Kinesis integration we were also setting up a data warehouse solution with the Redshift integration.

The support for IaC solutions (Terraform, CloudFormation) leaves something to be desired compared to other AWS services, but is a critical feature.

What needs improvement?

I think there's a lot of issues with it. Compared to most of the AWS services, it's one of the most poorly supported. The documentation needs some work, so that's a starting point.

It's incredibly slow to provision. Deploying it takes the same amount of time as OpenSearch and RDS. It can take upwards of half an hour to take the stack up or down, which is quite a long time. Compared to other services it is also prone to errors, often to do with task status.

Beyond this I see three primary issues that are important to be aware of, to me these are the biggest evidence of the fact DMS receives less attention and support than other services.

1. DMS requires specifically named IAM roles (dms-vpc-role, dms-cloudwatch-logs-role, dms-access-for-endpoint) to exist implicitly rather than establishing a clear and obvious relationship between the services and a role which can be named as desired. If you are provisioning multiple stacks within a single account for any reason (multiple teams working against one account, multiple environments within one account) you would need to move these resources into some kind of singular Cloud Landing Zone stack.

2. Task settings are unpredictable and non-deterministic. There is no clear and established ownership of the task settings as AWS will make changes to these settings during regular operations. This means for any IaC solution you would need to ignore changes to the task settings in order to avoid detecting constant drift in the resources. The only way to manage log rotation is also through this task settings file, where AWS and your IaC solution will mutually modify settings to perform rotation, it is not possible to perform a more intelligent form of log rotation.

3. There is also a huge problem with how resource destruction takes place. Basically, when you destroy a DMS task, it does not reliably remove the logical replication slot on RDS. This will (unless specific measures are taken) eventually consume all space on the volume for transaction log files as the inactive slots fall further and further behind the current log sequence number (as activity takes place on the database) and cause your database to stop functioning. This will in turn also break any DMS tasks that are running against it, although at that point this is a much smaller issue. To solve the problem, you'll need to increase storage and manually remove the inactive slots via psql or similar. There are preventative measures that can be taken via instance settings, but they are quite drastic and can also have side-effects in the event of a false positive (say you have a burst of heavy activity on your database volume and DMS is struggling to keep up with this activity and pauses its reads, or a task suffers a recoverable error). Instead I would stress the absolute importance of alarming on transaction log storage and replication slot lag. There are automations that can be built around this as well.

AWS Database Migration Service
    October 2022
    Learn what your peers think about AWS Database Migration Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for just over three months.

We've had a few issues. Some of them were self-inflicted because there's obviously a learning process in terms of maintenance and figuring out what kind of alarming we want to have on it. At this point, it feels largely stable, but you really need to keep an eye on the logical replication slots on the database, and we've found some metrics that help us do that. As long as you have alarming in place and you have good automations around that, I would say it's not too bad to keep it up and running but it does take a lot more attention than most AWS services. You have to be a bit more proactive and you have to make sure you put alarming in place because otherwise it will eventually fail.

It doesn't really scale horizontally. It scales in terms of the size of the instance, so I've used a few different instance sizes for it. Smaller burstable instances were a no-go due to memory constraints causing them to fail under large workloads, so we're currently running a memory-optimized R5 instance.

In an ideal world there would be more of a capability to scale on demand as we have a database that can see large sudden spikes in writes, but instead we have to provision an always-on EC2 instance which is able to cope with peak load rather than average load. We haven't really tested the Multi-AZ support.

We switched due to a desire to change from regularly scheduled services that looked at the database for newly added entries to a near real-time solution so that we can provide customer feedback as soon as the data comes in.

From my perspective the difficulty in set up was mostly related to the inherent complexity of the problem it is meant to solve, and also the fact that the service is less well integrated than others in terms of IAM roles & such.

It's unfortunate that the Terraform provider is not currently supporting the EventBridge integration for monitoring, as creating a monitoring solution was more complex than necessary. Being able to integrate EventBridge and pipe status events from that directly into AWS Chatbot would be ideal.

More broadly the error messaging is really poor, so it makes it quite difficult to tell what's going wrong when you're starting off, particularly when working on the networking configuration for the source and the target.

I implemented the solution myself end-to-end, and I don't believe it requires any specific staff for maintenance unless operating at huge scale. You do need either someone who is highly experienced with it, or to have great documentation however as DMS is a specialized area with lots of potential pitfalls.

If you're operating a big instance with high availability concerns, then obviously you need a knowledgeable person awake in every time zone, but you don't need a whole team just to run an instance. Use proper alarming, catch it early, and reset the instance or stop the tasks.

The pricing structure makes the service one of the most expensive we are currently using within AWS. It's primarily based on instance size from my recollection, and we found that it was not advisable to use a small instance size in production due to how easily the instance could be forced to crash due to low memory during high load events when we load-tested the solution with large file uploads via the s3 plugin for Postgres.

That being said it's relatively predictable because you can look at the cost per hour of those instance types and work out roughly what you're going to pay.

We evaluated a couple of things. The main thing was that we wanted to work within the AWS Stack, so we mainly looked at Debezium or building our own solution on top of the write-ahead logs for postgres. Ultimately, DMS does basically what Debezium does, and as far as I could tell during that research period, it's really just a self-hosted version of the exact same thing and I would imagine we would've had the exact same problems. It seemed like a sensible choice to choose an AWS supported service rather than self-hosting something that we wouldn't necessarily be able to get support for.

We don't necessarily want to open the database up widely to an outside network, so we'd need to deploy something within the network. There are obviously third-party solutions that we probably could have used that would sit outside of the network. I'm not too sure about those, but then also for the company, the cost is a concern too.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to definitely put alarming into practice early. You need to be looking at the replication slots, including transaction log storage and the lag in the replication slots.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Digital Services & Engagement Senior Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable service but requires additional applications for full functionality
    • "The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application."
    • "Migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, we are currently using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to the AWS cloud. A few more services would be really helpful for me to move the master data."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that I can easily automate. I don't want many resources working on setting up a new IDE and creating an application and so on. We can make use of the existing applications in the cloud and I can do a workflow management very easily.

What is most valuable?

In selected or traditional databases on-premise, the backup and maintenance are very difficult. If you are maintaining a complete platform, like a Linux platform, you will need to apply some regular DB patches, so things are very difficult here. But in AWS RDS, there are many databases available for which the maintenance will be taken care of by the AWS team and different scalable databases also available. For example, currently we are using other database subscriptions which are very useful for my applications. Earlier we had Oracle Streams but we migrated to Aurora.

The process is now simplified because there won't be maintenance. Usually we can take a snapshot of the number I need. We can automate the backup snapshots and we can restore it very quickly. We get many benefits from the application. For example, day to day, there are developers trying to run SQL scripts which will cause problems in the database. So instead of troubleshooting, I can simply roll back to the existing set so that they can work easily. The support that I get for my project and the deadline to release one new feature will usually take three to four months on on-premise. Now, since I have migrated to AWS, I can finish it in one or two months.

What needs improvement?

There is something where AWS Database Migration can be improved. Many of the application teams don't want to invest on a migration. They don't want to use the Database Migration service. They want us to export to the dump point, database backup, and then put it into the RDS. There is not a cast and mold on it except in the database and that's it. So migrating from here and pushing the data from on-premise to AWS cloud is a big challenge, and a few more services from AWS would be helpful. For example, currently we are using ILDB internet tools which move data from on-premise to AWS cloud. I need a few more services which would be really helpful for me to move the master data.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for almost four years to move applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.

It is stable in terms of the data.

It is scalable. Nothing that we execute needs to be touched in the database. They simply do the code only. So whatever changes we do in the database will be tracked.

If you raise an AWS support issue you will get an immediate response from them so I can resolve my issue as early as possible. That is a good thing. That is why I am likely to take the support from AWS and enable the service very quickly. They have good experts who are available. That has been my experience.  Let's take an example from IBM technical support. I raised a case related to the IBM One Sheet. I'm following up now for one week and they are not responding properly.

What other advice do I have?

I have not explored other solutions like GCP or Azure, but I have used the AWS side. On a scale of one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration a seven.

This score is because of a few difficulties I faced when setting it up. Because I worked on different applications on a couple of projects, I cannot completely make use of the AWS database. Maybe that is a developer mistake or something. That's the reason I am rating it a seven for now.

Hybrid Cloud
    AWS Database Migration Service
    October 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    VishalSharma2 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Infrastructure Lead at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Easy to use and set up, but challenges should be cleared in the pre-assessment process
    • "It's scalable."
    • "If they had some sort of functionality where, at a specific point in time, if I want to start a new job, it should automatically pick up from where it has been left rather than having people worry about the exact job number and the timing."

What is our primary use case?

We've used the product for database migration from on-prem to AWS for an Oracle database.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is great.

It is easy to set up initially.

It's scalable.

The solution has been quite stable.

What needs improvement?

We had challenges working with the database as it was a different kind of exit. It has blobs and other types of storage which caused issues.

If they had some sort of functionality where, at a specific point in time, if I want to start a new job, it should automatically pick up from where it has been left rather than having people worry about the exact job number and the timing. If something could be automated, that will be really helpful.

I've used the solution for a while. I've used it at least over the past year.

It's a stable solution. That said, every technology or solution in the industry has its own challenges. It's a good solution overall as I've used it for multiple databases. In my past experience, it has worked, and it has done wonders.

It is scalable. For the instances it supports, it is scalable on runtime. It'll just require downtime and can be scaled up or down accordingly.

While we don't have any active projects right now, typically, we have six or seven people on the product.

I've had to reach out to support as there were challenges with the database data types. We had to reach out to technical support multiple times to get that sorted. In general, we've found them to be helpful and responsive.

Positive

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not complex.

For us, since we have many factors involved, we took at least two to three days to configure and validate things and then run the assessment and then get to the job. The configuration does not take much. The reason we had a longer time was due to the fact that it was a huge schema, around 800 GB. Therefore, it took that much time for us to evaluate and go through a preassessment. After configuring, there were challenges we had to fix. Then, after fixing them, we came back to the migration. It's a whole process. That said, the configuration altogether itself was not as much time. It was smooth.

While it is a paid service, I don't have many details about licensing or costs. It's not an aspect of the product I manage. That said, I would say it is worth the investment.

What other advice do I have?

We are AWS partners.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

Whether it's the right product for everybody varies from situation to situation. There is not a generic thing you can say about the service or the situation. Everyone's experience will vary depending on their requirements. That said, in general, I would recommend it to others.

Overall, I'd rate the product seven out of ten. There were challenges. And if the preassessment is there, we should have been warned in the preassessment about the challenges. If we fixed the issues in preassessment, we wouldn't have been waiting for hours and days for a job to complete. Considering it's a huge database, it's really difficult to wait on the whole thing over very small issues.

VinodKumar9 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Analyst at aimleap
    An easy solution to save and extract data
    • "The installation is easy."
    • "The server has limits on how many can connect to the database."

What is our primary use case?

AWS Database Migration Service is a very useful tool for our organization. One example of how we use it is when we need to save the data to ensure we don't lose it. To eradicate this risk, we save the database where we can extract it through commands. We can do a lot of with just simple commands that will assist in accessing the data with ease.

Also, we can select from the API where we will use the data connections to the API where the client can easily access the data. At the day's end, we set some data from our website and view the API connection to the ABL link to the client. They can access that data to the API and the database will give the function and connect.

What is most valuable?

Saving the data that is in use is easy. We don't have any complexity like with MySQL. The database connections can be a little tricky in MySQL, it is easier with AWS Database Migration and the consistent view it provides.

We can easily access AWS Database Migration Service through not only AWS, but pgAdmin.

What needs improvement?

The price is expensive for a person or student who wants to learn how to use the solution. For students, AWS provides free access for a year. I would like to see the company provide the same access to individuals who are trying to learn the solution on their own to pursue a particular career that requires the knowledge.

We have been using Database Migration Service for two years.

AWS Database Migration Service is stable. The server has limits on how many can connect to the database, but you can extend them.

This solution is scalable. We have approximately 40 people using AWS Database Migration Service in our company. This includes developers and the support team.

We have plans to increase our usage.

AWS provides useful documentation that helps you understand how to do everything. This includes instructional videos if you are not satisfied with the documentation. The technical team is also available and quick to respond and find a solution.

Positive

The installation is easy. You just need to provide one authentication link where you have the port numbers and the name of the database. You can access Database through API or save the data into Database. You can install it using any code that you use.

The deployment does not take much time. You can connect directly to anything, and it is quick. There are connections you should know about.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone considering AWS Database Migration Service should have some basic knowledge and know their use case. Also, they should understand that AWS will have many features available, but to commit to a database you need to have knowledge of how they build it. For example, if you are building an application with a login page, the details should be saved into tables, and you will need to know how to connect those tables.

I would rate Database Migration Service a nine out of 10 overall.

Sivashankar Rajaram - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Supports a smooth migration
    • "The solution is instantaneous. We can launch the service and reduce the end number of manpower."
    • "Whatever solution worked today can not be reused in the next migration."

What is our primary use case?

We have a database team that supports migrations to public, private, and hybrid clouds depending on the client's needs.

What is most valuable?

Prior to the migration, during the earlier stages, we had a lot of problems. SCT is a migration tool provided by Amazon that helps us to convert the schema.

We have an in-built tool provided by Amazon. It is a database migration tool that supports a smooth migration. The solution is instantaneous. We can launch the service and reduce the end number of manpower.

What needs improvement?

Our organization works with both client data migration and the cost governance part. Years ago, the price was nominal and acceptable for the client to do a migration. Now, prices are challenging, especially with versions continually changing.

We have Azure and GCP in place. Amazon provides a hybrid solution, so people are accustomed to adapting all these technologies. Cost is the only factor that is challenging.

AWS Database is supporting six or seven flavors of RDS. In the next release, I would like to extend the other database as well. There is a need for extra features that are available in open source. For example, for Postgres, we have limited features of admin availability. If it were standard, it would be very helpful for the database team as well as the migration team.

I have been working with AWS Database Migration Service for six years.

This is a stable solution. In the past six years, we have faced two or three periods of downtime for a few minutes each time.

AWS Database Migration Service is scalable. The solution was configured six years ago. When the threshold is reached, the system will automatically scale up. When the threshold is reduced, the system will reduce the resources.

We have over 10,000 users of AWS Database Migration Service.

We contact customer service and support, through chat or a call, with any issues we encounter.

I would rate customer service and support a four out of five overall.

Positive

The composition of AWS Database Migration Service is simple. However, each and every code that is legacy creates dynamic code. Whatever solution worked today can not be reused in the next migration.

On a scale of one to five, with five being a good price, I would rate AWS Database Migration Service a two.

We are part of a database team. We get requests from Azure on-premise and hybrid data migration as well. We work with different cloud providers. Azure is more cost-effective than Amazon. We selected Amazon because it started first.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate AWS Database Migration Service an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Alvaro Quiroga Toledo - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Solutions Architect at DBSolution
    A database migration service that's highly user-friendly, but needs more migration tools
    • "The tools are very user-friendly."
    • "I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics"

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS Database Migration Service to migrate Oracle databases and PostgreSQL databases. I work with both databases and work with different migration scenarios.

What is most valuable?

The tools are very user-friendly. You can have instances or replications instances from the databases with two or more clicks. The console is also very user-friendly, and it's very easy to create new instances for migration purposes.

What needs improvement?

I think that Amazon needs to improve the migration scenarios after analytics. We need more migration tools or more specific tools for migration and licenses. It's a very complicated scenario because, in some cases, we need specific licenses to create new instances, and some instances are very expensive. That's a very manual scenario.

I have been using AWS Database Migration Service for about one and a half years.

AWS Database Migration Service is a stable solution. It's good for me.

I'm very impressed with its scalability.

AWS has very good support for this, and that's why my customers choose AWS for deploying their resources in the cloud.

In the beginning, the initial setup was very hard, but then it became very easy. The information that the customer gives us isn't complete, and this is the most complex part of the process. Then we use some tools because we need to consider the indexes, tables, and other things in our databases.

Pricing can be improved. In some cases, the price of the instances are very expensive.

Our clients evaluated other options like Google Cloud, Oracle Cloud, and Huawei Cloud. I think AWS Database Migration Services is a very robust solution compared to other cloud providers.

What other advice do I have?

AWS is the leading provider of cloud services. It has extensive experience in this kind of scenario. The other cloud providers need to improve their tools and their licensing procedures. In this case, the licensing procedures are very complex for migration scenarios.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give AWS Database Migration Service a seven.

Director at Fujitsu
    MSP
    Makes migration easy with responsive support services and good reliability
    • "The solution is stable and reliable."
    • "This solution is compatible with only AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to migrate databases.

We have an Oracle database on-premise, and then we have a plan to install the new system with a database for another application service. Therefore, we need to duplicate, to copy, our Oracle database to the Postgres database on AWS.

What is most valuable?

The solution makes it very simple to migrate the database.

The solution's price is cheaper than Oracle GoldenGate or other solutions.

We can get a lot of support services from AWS via the MSP.

The solution is stable and reliable.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

This solution is compatible with only AWS. I cannot use this solution with AWS and other cloud services like Azure or Google Cloud.

We've been using the solution for one month.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good.

We have five customers that use the AWS Service. I don't know how many exactly use it. We have just five AWS customers in our company.

I can expand the hardware specification from one virtual machine to three or four. I can expand the hardware cloud resource without rebooting or stopping the service. This solution is scalable.

The support on offer is pretty great.

We have only one way to get support from AWS. We need access to our support partner. We need the budget to get technical support from AWS as we need a contract with an AWS MSP partner.

Our engineer did recommend this solution first for migrating the database. We copy our Oracle database to AWS first. And then, we move our Oracle database and Postgres on AWS. I have experience with Oracle GoldenGate.

This solution is a PaaS solution. We do not need to handle an installation for this solution, as it's already installed on AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We are a user of the product.

I recommend the solution. I'm pretty happy with the capabilities.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, has a straightforward setup, and works even in terabyte-scale migrations
    • "What I like about AWS Database Migration Service is that it's a good product that allows you to migrate terabytes of data. My team was able to migrate almost 16TB of data using AWS Database Migration Service. The solution works fine for my use case."
    • "What needs improvement in AWS Database Migration Service is that it lacks a log file validation feature. If the solution could provide more details about a particular transaction, that would be helpful. The stability of AWS Database Migration Service for online CDC records also needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using AWS Database Migration Service for migrating data from an on-premise Oracle database to a database on AWS.

What is most valuable?

What I like about AWS Database Migration Service is that it's a good product that allows you to migrate terabytes of data. My team was able to migrate almost 16TB of data using AWS Database Migration Service. The solution works fine for my use case.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in AWS Database Migration Service is that it lacks a log file validation feature. If the solution could provide more details about a particular transaction, that would be helpful.

The stability of AWS Database Migration Service for online CDC records also needs to be improved.

I've been using AWS Database Migration Service for more than six months now.

AWS Database Migration Service is not as stable for large volumes of data, especially when you process CDC records daily.

AWS Database Migration Service is a scalable solution.

In terms of the technical support provided for AWS Database Migration Service, seventy percent of the team is knowledgeable, and the remaining thirty percent isn't as knowledgeable.

Sometimes, the response from support is very slow, and for every question, you'll get the same kind of answers. The technical support team should analyze the errors properly, especially with production and queue errors because I don't see that happening currently.

AWS Database Migration Service has a straightforward setup. On a scale of one to five, I'm rating the initial setup four out of five.

I'm not aware of the pricing for AWS Database Migration Service.

What other advice do I have?

AWS Database Migration Service has two users within my company. It's me and another person, though that other person doesn't use the solution as much. I only use AWS Database Migration Service whenever data migration is required.

I'm rating AWS Database Migration Service eight out of ten.

My company has a partnership with AWS Database Migration Service.

Download our free AWS Database Migration Service Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: October 2022