Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Asigra OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Asigra is #42 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Asigra an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. Asigra is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Asigra vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Asigra is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Asigra?

Asigra makes award-winning enterprise backup and recovery software that leads the industry in secure, reliable, manageable and affordable data protection. Asigra Cloud Backup works in the cloud or on-premise, for everything from mobile devices to entire data centers.

Asigra Customers

British Red Cross, Special Olympics, London and Capital, L and K Bennett London, The Commonwealth, Hanrick Curran

Asigra Video

Archived Asigra Reviews (more than two years old)

Mark Saville - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Data2Vault
  • "The agentless architecture has minimized our software footprint at the client level."
  • "It has helped us to provide comprehensive data protection with high recovery rates and a malware scanning feature."
  • "They should improve the malware scanning capabilities, extending it to protect cloud application data."

What is our primary use case?

I use Asigra to deliver backup as a service, DR as a service, and archive as a service across Microsoft and Linux operating systems.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I have found the remote virtual DR for recovery feature very useful. The agentless architecture has minimized our software footprint at the client level.

Backup and Recovery Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Asigra, Veeam Software, Acronis and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: September 2022.
636,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.

More than five years.

I have experienced no issues with the product's stability.

I have experienced no issues with the product's scalability.

The technical support is knowledgeable and provides good support.

I did not use any solutions before Asigra.

Some expertise was required for the initial setup.

It was implemented using an in-house team. Asigra provides good customer support.

Asigra is priced competitively, but requires technical expertise to operate, optimize, and maintain its services.

I implemented other products like EVault and Veeam before switching to Asigra.

What other advice do I have?

Asigra is a reliable solution with high recovery rates.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a MSP using Asigra in-house and deliver services to end user clients
Mark Saville - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Data2Vault
Features Have The Ability to Protect Many Different Platforms

What is most valuable?

Its automation, security, optimisation, simplicity, reliability, very high recovery rates, and ability to protect so many different platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

It frees up technical resources, because once it is setup, it just runs.

What needs improvement?

More integration with leading storage solutions.

Since 2008.

Asigra technical support is outstanding.

No, we selected Asigra from day one.

Setting up our N+1 Asigra infrastructure was straightforward. Provisioning client environments vary according to how well their systems and software are setup.

Asigra is a cost effective solution and very competitive in the market.

EVault, Veeam, and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Try it in a proof of concept.

Backup and Recovery Software
September 2022
636,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Primary improvements of the recent version are with virtualization and Cloud-2-Cloud

What is most valuable?

There are two primary improvements of the Asigra platform with the recent version 13.1 SP1:

Virtualization: a tremendous variety of data protection solutions for virtual machines.

Cloud-2-Cloud: Office 365, Google, Amazon, etc. This is a full package of data protection platform!

How has it helped my organization?

010 signed up a new partner just because of the Office 365 solution by Asigra.

What needs improvement?

There are improvements required with the virtualization solution, I'm sure we will see a significant change in 2017.

I've used Asigra since 2004, we upgraded to the recent version in March 2017.

Very good.

Excellent.

Very simple, we have a lot of experience with Asigra.

We are a vendor, I think we are pretty good :-)

We expect ROI to be done by mid 2017.

It is important to be perfectly knowledgeable about Asigra's pricing model. It is somewhat more complex that other Backup vendors, but it includes a huge opportunity for savings, especially with their Recovery license model (RLM).

No, I knew everything I needed to know about Asigra, the decision was very simple.

What other advice do I have?

Great product, give it a shot!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: 010 Data Protection is a proud Asigra partner.
Director of Operations at Armada Cloud
Reseller

What is most valuable?

The agentless nature of the software simplifies installations for our end users, and NIST FIPS 140-2 certification puts our enterprise clients at ease. Virtual Disaster Recovery in version 13 is a game-changer, especially for VMWare shops.

How has it helped my organization?

Automated notifications work much better than other solutions we've employed, and the ability to add usage reports to invoices through DS-Billing is a very useful feature. Additionally, high compression rates reduce bandwidth and capacity requirements. Once configured, it all "just works".

What needs improvement?

The GUI isn't the slickest, because Asigra has opted to focus on features and capability over a shiny interface. They do have an overhaul in the works, but I appreciate that their first priority is performance. Despite looking a little long-in-the-tooth, our customers are able to handle every aspect of adding and modifying backup sets, performing restores, and monitoring usage themselves vs calling us for help (which we're happy to provide). I'm holding out on that half star while they get that GUI update going, simply because it's a turn-off for first time users - trust me, that shouldn't hold you back.

Yes, we previously used Ahsay, but found the comprehensive feature set of Asigra to be preferable both to us and our customer base.

What other advice do I have?

Try a 30 day evaluation to test it within your environment against your current backup and recovery solution. The Asigra DS Client can be installed on your infrastructure, and the agentless nature of the software allows for a simple configuration and comparison.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with Asigra.
it_user370497 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user370497Director of Operations at Armada Cloud
Reseller

DS-Billing is a crucial way to automate billing while adding transparency for users.

Brent Reichow - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal at Blueshift Data Protection
We're able to address most client backup and recovery requirements, but the GUI needs simplification.

Valuable Features:

Asigra's agentless concept makes it so easy to install a client proof-of-concept (POC). Many times a client wants to try a solution before they buy, and being able to deploy a backup and recovery solution without installing software on the client's servers makes deploying a POC very easy.

In addition, Asigra supports wide variety of OS and VMs which means very rarely do we encounter a client environment where we can't deploy, backup and recover data in the same day.

Asigra has recently added a new feature to assist with Amazon EBS snapshot manager.  The tool will make creating backup sets on Amazon that much easier.

Improvements to My Organization:

Flexibility really means a lot for us. Being able to address almost every client backup and recovery requirement means that we have a tremendous amount of confidence as do our partners that Blueshift is going to be able to deploy a solution quickly and efficiently.

This saves time and money allowing the partner or client to be able to check the backup and recovery is done box and move on to the next issue.

Room for Improvement:

I think Asigra still needs to simplify their GUI. I think Asigra really improved the GUI with their 12x release but there's still a lot of functions and options. During any installation we take time to sit down with the customer to ensure they understand how to navigate the GUI.

Director Technology at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We have got one solution to take care of local and remote protection needs, but some more work on reporting tools is required to get better auto-generated information and analysis from the system.

Valuable Features:

Asigra's agent-less capabilities make it a very convenient solution to implement. Its capabilities of easily deploying the policies and configurations and supporting wide environments are the most valuable features. You don't need to worry about different options to protect you large environment.

Improvements to My Organization:

It has helped us protect our customers data very well. Low bandwidth and high latency sites have been keeping Local Copy options. We have got one solution to take care of local and remote protection needs.

Room for Improvement:

Some more work on reporting tools is required to help get better auto-generated information and analysis from the system.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Asigra partners and have a working relationship providing cloud backup services to our customers.
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
You don’t need to install software on the servers that you are backing up, but the support should be 24/7.

Valuable Features:

One product that can back up almost any platform or application. Windows, Mac OS X, Unix, SQL databases, SharePoint, Oracle, Exchange, Android, iOS, and clouds services like Office365 and Salesforce.

You install the client on one computer in the network, and you use this to backup any other servers or applications in your network. You don’t need to install software on the servers that you are backing up.

Improvements to My Organization:

It provides a secure and stable cloud backup solution. It has been on the market a long time and is well developed. All backup data is encrypted, and with the correct configuration only the end user can access their data with the right encryption key.

Room for Improvement:

They should have 24/7 support for customers in different time zones. They are slow to respond to requests, and I get the impression that the ServiceDesk is overloaded. However, I haven’t used the ServiceDesk that much.

Communications Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Our backup engineers can build relationships with customers as they know their data is being protected. The UI, however, could use a facelift.

Valuable Features:

Asigra does not require any agents to be installed - it's a much more effective (and less labour-intensive) solution than the agent-based alternatives out there.

Improvements to My Organization:

It allows our backup engineers to build great relationships with customers as they know their data is being protected by best-in-class software. It gives customers peace of mind that their data is in safe hands.

Room for Improvement:

The UI could do with a facelift.

Head of Fasset Technologies at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We've freed up approximately 30 minutes per day which was used to check backup status and change tapes. However, DS-NOC could be improved with a help desk function.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features our Technical Administrators talk about are the Incremental Forever Backups and DS-NOC. The Incremental Forever Backups gives confidence that after an initial backup, we are able to meet most customer’s backup requirements within respectable time frames. The DS-NOC allows us the ability to manage and monitor our customers easily from any internet enabled devices. This is extremely useful in cases where customers manage their own Backup Appliances and it can be time consuming trying to gain access to the server to make simple updates.

Improvements to My Organization:

In the Parent Organization where we have replaced Tape backup with Asigra, we have managed to free up approximately 30 minutes per day which was previously used to check backup status and change tapes. The distance between the office, server room and tape storage areas is quite vast and it would be a daily task of the IT Team to collect the new tapes from storage, travel to the server room, swap the tapes and take the old tapes back to storage. The IT Team now simply look at a status report and action items as required, all from their desk. This allows them to be available to support users and provide a better service all around.

Room for Improvement:

The Asigra product on the whole is a fantastic solution and I would highly recommend this as it delivers everything our business and our subsequent customers required.

From my knowledge of the technical roadmap I can safely say Asigra listens to their partners feedback and are working hard to deliver on ongoing market leading solution. Below are two of the suggestions we recently made to Asigra from our experience.

Firstly, the introduction of a ‘DS-Updates’ system similar to Microsoft’s WSUS would be a much welcomed addition to the Asigra family. This system would automatically check Asigra for updates and hot fixes and download them to a DS-System. Administrators would then be able to approve the changes and distribute them accordingly and selectively from within the DS-NOC. At present, downloading the relevant files and placing them into a directory on the DS-System is a little cumbersome and open to error/malicious use. The system could also be used to get updates from upstream, rather than from Asigra, meaning that MSPs that go through a Partner for a private cloud can only get the updates that the partner wish to provide them.

Another area that could enhance the offering is within the DS-NOC. This is a very useful tool in its current state, but I believe it could be improved further with the introduction of a simple help desk function and an in depth knowledge base linked to the error codes received. The help desk would be useful to allow customers to log issues with Asigra from within the NOC environment, rather than having to connect to another system to do so. It would only need to capture basic info, and buttons could be placed against certain areas such as Backup Activities so these can be quickly raised by a customer as required. The knowledge base could be built and centralized at Asigra, but allow the ‘community’ to update it, similar to how Wikipedia works. This would allow the vast network of Asigra Engineers to help one another and help build a community of expertise across the world.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: www.FassetTechnologies.co.uk Tel: +44 (0) 023 9249 7600 Twitter: @fassettech
Cloud Services Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Having multiple retention copies always helps when trying to restore from a virus/spyware attack, although it needs more diversity in Hyper-V, which I know will come in v13.1.

Valuable Features:

I am personally a fan of Exchange email level and MS SQL db level backups. On top of that, having multiple retention copies always helps when trying to restore from a virus/spyware attack. The ability of being able to backup Linux has also been helpful to ours/client servers, as its multi-tenancy scalability.

Improvements to My Organization:

Customers know they can depend on us for retrieval/storage of their files.

Room for Improvement:

I think the product needs more diversity in Hyper-V. I know it is coming in 13.1, but I have yet to see the exclusiveness as VMware has. When I went to the Asigra Partner Summit this year, a new, not yet in place, feature for Hyper-V was in the works. Right now, the product is more VMware centric when it comes to replication and ability to backup images.

Sales Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Cloud-to-cloud backups need work, but has support for multiple OS's.

Valuable Features

• Versatility
  • It supports multiple OS's
  • Physical & virtual
  • Application aware
  • Short & long-term retention

Improvements to My Organization

We can provide a reliable service to our customers.

Room for Improvement

Cloud-to-Cloud backups.

Use of Solution

I've used it for 10 years.

It's very good.

It's very good.

It was straightforward.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

ROI

80%.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Always keep an eye on the competitions’ price.

Other Solutions Considered

Veeam, which we also use.

Other Advice

Take the training courses to get the most out of it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We both use and sell Asigra and other cloud solutions.
it_user163623 - PeerSpot reviewer
NOC Manager with 51-200 employees
User interface is a bit outdated, but allows us to deploy backup sets quickly and efficiently with no error.

What is most valuable?

Retention and data life cycle management, along with deduplication at a global level.

How has it helped my organization?

Asigra allows for backup set creation using template files, this allows us to deploy backup sets extremely quickly and efficiently with no error.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a bit outdated, but Asigra has acknowledged this and is working on a new interface.

My company has used this product since 2006, I have been using the product since 2011.

If you do not attend their training or use their support then you will have trouble. As long as you complete the training and utilize your support portal, you will have very few issues.

None, its extremely stable. If an event arose that caused a stability issue, a hotfix would be released within a week or less.

None, the product scales and tiers very well.

Customer services would be a 3 out of 5, simply due high turnover and lack of communication.

Technical support is great, Asigra is working on ways to make it ever better by creating new case portals which help reduce the time to resolution.

Prior to Asigra we used the Zenith BDR in parallel. Sagiss wanted a product that worked and was reliable and Asigra was that product.

The Asigra setup can and is going to always be complex due to the functionality of the backup product. Oddly enough, the complexity of the product allows for great flexibility and scalability in the long run.

We have always implemented Asigra in-house.

I was not the one the initially implement the product, but I do know it was a steep price. Since I have come onboard I have automated a vast majority of the Asigra system so the overhead and work we do is very basic maintenance and remediation.

We evaluated Zenith BDR, CommVault and Asigra.

What other advice do I have?

You need to make the investment in training and certification to get the most out of this product. Once you have Asigra, you are set, it’s a rock solid platform that works every time.

it_user573108 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user573108CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

Hello Stephen,

While I don't doubt your candor, I have to admit to having a different experience with the Asigra management team.

I've been leading Cloud Backup/DRaaS companies since 2005, and have been a very happy Asigra partner since then. While I admit that they can be rough around the edges at times, they have always seem to be very direct and honest in my dealings with them. As a reseller, I found many of their actions supportive of my efforts to build and expand the overall business value.

I also admit that an end user may not find these things as valuable, but as a resell partner I have a much different view point.

Guy

Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Although a fantastic backup system, it is very complex.

What is most valuable?

Asigra's client-less approach is one of the best in the industry. Ensuring the backup/management of any system on the network through one single portal is extremely helpful. Asigra's message level restore is an exceptional feature for retrieval of deleted emails. The quality of the backup can always be trusted as there are numerous background services running to constantly check data integrity. Although not tested as of yet, version 13 offers backup of Microsoft Online Exchange backup (Google Apps was available for Version 12). Backup of ESXi (including the free version) as well as Hyper-V and Hyper-V cluster is nice as well.

What needs improvement?

Although a fantastic backup system, it is very complex. Installation can take anywhere from 35 - 95 min (depending on the system resources) - prior to setting up any backup sets. Disaster Recovery is one area where Asigra requires some re-thinking. At this time the procedures for Disaster Recovery are even more complex then the initial installation. The DR set up must be the same as the original Backup Setup - naming conventions, unless well documented could increase the recovery time significantly. The constant checks and re-checks, although great for data integrity, affects recovery times - once installation of the recovery system is completed a database recovery must be started and then a synchronization of data files (which can take countless hours - depend on amount of data and available bandwidth). Only after all this is done the data recovery can begin. Bare Metal backup is great and works well, although recovery of systems to dissimilar hardware is difficult IF possible. Physical to virtual (only available to VMWare) is complex and requires VMWare tools be installed and configured...configuration can be difficult. For businesses that have Bandwidth issues Recoveries are difficult as interruptions or disruptions may require restarting the recovery of all files again and again until there are no network issues. Test recoveries on secondary systems are difficult - require stoppage of backup systems. Setting up a recovery server can be difficult as at times it may require stopping backup for a day or more depending on the tests run (for Disaster Recovery). For general test recoveries run of the original setup no extra setup is required.

Over 1 year

MS SQL can sometimes cause some headaches during installation, but generally no issues with installation.

Service can stop at times with no real explanation and require a manual restart (only of the service not entire server). Automatic upgrades can fail at times requiring manual intervention.

No. Very scalable.

Very good.

Support staff is knowledgeable and will work with hard to ensure all is done to resolve the issue.

Asigra is one of the solutions offered at this time to support clients - depending on needs. cost of implementation, bandwidth and RTO/RPO objectives are considered prior to selection of system.

Initial setup very complex - although wizards to help. Ensuring all information is document is critical for a positive experience in case of disaster. Planning for this is key.

In-house.

ROI can depend on client - as low as 3 months and as high as 18+ months. Cloud storage must be considered in ROI as this can add anywhere from $0.01 to $0.10 per GB or more.

Asigra's implementation and day-to-day costs are very high. Necessary features can significantly increase the cost of implementation.

Aside from Asigra we also use other solutions to ensure client needs are met. Other solutions currently used are:

1) Veeam
2) Backup Exec - to disk only
3) IASO
4) Azure
5) AhSay

What other advice do I have?

Asigra does many things well, however it is not as robust in areas that are becoming more mainstream.

Excellent Backup System - backup of cloud (Google Apps, Salesforce, Online Exchange), backup of data (files and folders), backup of SQL, Oracle, Exchange and MLR etc., backup of VMs (VDR available for VMWare only - complex but works well)

Requires improvement - Disaster Recovery for Physical systems, no ability for DR testing,

Costly to keep numerous revisions or deleted files. I would question the sometimes advertised 90% compression rate as Selected to Stored will usually between 0.5:1 to 3:1 (depending on the setup of the backup set).

it_user175560 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager with 51-200 employees
Complex deployment especially around testing but easier to manage and administer than a tape backup

What is most valuable?

Backing up to the cloud

How has it helped my organization?

Replaced an ageing tape backup product and reduced administration.

What needs improvement?

Data encryption due to the speed of restoring multiple files

6 months

Limited issues around configuration and backup client on different platforms

Product would occasionally encounter issues when it impacted other software

None encountered.

Very good indeed.

Again, very good technical support

Used a tape solution, cloud backup is easier to manage to and administer.

Complex especially around testing.

Through a vendor with a very high level of expertise.

2-3 years of reduced administration costs.

£2k per month plus £5k setup.

No, this was the market leader and a proven technology.

What other advice do I have?

For large numbers of file restores it is advisable to also have an onsite NAS device for faster restore times.

it_user168474 - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Analyst at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Vastly improved user down time. Tapes could take hours to retrieve, now that issue has been eradicated.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity, very easy to restore user data. Means that we don't have to request off site tapes to be delivered to the office, can easily access the cloud data and restore most data within minutes.

How has it helped my organization?

As above, vastly improved user down time on important data that has been deleted. Tapes could often take hours if not over a day to retrieve, now that issue has been eradicated.

What needs improvement?

For me it does what it needs to.

2 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No, have easily scaled up as we've increased the amount of data we now hold.

From the limited contact I've had it's been very good.

Excellent, always at the other end of the phone with a solution to most of the few issues we've had.

Just tape storage with a local firm.

I wasn't involved in this but from the sounds of it it was very simple. Most of our servers are virtualised so we just needed to set them up and our supplier did the rest.

Through a vender, they knew what they were doing and there was very little if any down time.

Symantec cloud was the only other product and it came down to cost, you had to install the client on all the servers which was done with a fee, with Asigra there's no such problem which makes it very cost effective.

What other advice do I have?

Worthwhile, possible the initial setup of the hardware is costly but once you're going the costs are relatively cheap, it's the data costs that can rack up.

it_user219180 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user219180Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

I agree with Asigra being one of the top software for Cloud Backup and would recommend it to anyone as long as they are aware of:
1) Recovery after a disaster is complex and cumbersome - ask for procedures in case of complete disaster - i.e. installation in secondary location and Bare Metal Recovery
2) testing for Disaster Recovery - backups must be turned off during testing and back to point (1)
3) Requirements for purchase of (Asigra Database) SQL Server for database over 10GB can get expensive
4) Data retention and versions must be kept low as per/Gb costs could add up quickly
5) If recovery is interrupted during recovery process(due to ISP or Network) it must be restarted from beginning - large amounts of data can take a long time

it_user165918 - PeerSpot reviewer
Customer Support Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Smooth integration into customer's environment but I think the reporting should be more interactive.

What is most valuable?

Agentless framework, simple implementation & configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

Smooth integration into customer's environment, interactive UI.

What needs improvement?

Personally speaking, I think the reporting should be more interactive.

2.5 years.

No issues with deployment.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

None.

I would rate the customer service a 3/5.

I would rate the technical support a 3/5.

Straightforward.

In-house implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with ASIGRA
it_user165138 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Officer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Asigra’s multi-tenancy feature is most valuable but setup and configuration of this product is quite complex.

What is most valuable?

Asigra’s multi-tenancy feature is most valuable as it allows the company to on-sell a private cloud backup and recovery solution to existing customers. I like the fact that agents are not required to be installed on any servers to be backed up, so no downtimes due to the backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

For an IT Managed Services Provider, this product was selected due to its reliability and it’s flexible business model that it offered. The organization uses Asigra to offer/on-sell a reliable backup and recovery solution to customers. The organization built a private cloud for their customers to house their data and charged based on how much data is used. An in-house built Asigra appliance with considerable amount of disk space is provided to customers without charge, to store backups locally and transmit incremental backups to a private cloud.

What needs improvement?

The setup and configuration of this product is quite complex. There are too many adjustable parameters available. The options that must be configured and tweaked is also the reasons why this product is so powerful. However, I still think they should make their product easier to use.

I have worked with this solution in a managed services company for less than a year, 11 months to be exact. The resident Asigra expert had left the company and I was tasked to take over the deployment, maintenance and support for customers who purchased our Asigra cloud backup solution.

Yes, the initial backups and its transportation to the data centre can be painful when issues are encountered. The first backup for each customers must be transported to the data centre and imported before incremental backups can be run. Some customers are located hundreds of miles away and getting the initial backup to the data centre before the incremental backup grows too large for the internet connection to handle the upload can be an issue.

The customer’s internet connection speed can also be a problem because when the internet connection is slow enough, there are issues with timeouts which leads to failed backups. At times, failed backups or other issues can cause the whole backup set to be unrecoverable so the whole process must be started again by creating a new initial backup.

Another issue is that the firewall on all servers to be backed up must be turned off for Asigra to work.

Yes, slow internet connection speed can cause headaches with backup stability. The slow speed causes timeouts in the backup process which will fail afterwards if the retries are also not successful.

This product is highly scalable. It can be configured to suit the smallest customer to a large organisation. A few limitation that affects this product is the customer’s internet connection and how much backed up data they are willing to keep in the private cloud, which is the cost factor.

My company selected Xilocore to purchase Asigra from due to their willingness to provide training and support for us across the different time zone. Other companies approached were not so accommodating to our requirements.

We paid highly for the support agreement and we were very happy with what was provided. The support person assigned to us was extremely knowledgeable and flexible. His services and assistance to us were second to none.

As I was relatively new to the company, I’m not sure of the reasons for the switch to the current solution but my guess would be to provide a state of the arts cloud backup and recovery solution for our customers. The older solutions did not cater for offsite backup to the cloud. Asigra was considered to be the best product based on its features.

As a new user, I think the setup for this product can be tricky, however, as we had many customers taking up our private cloud backup solution, the process became easier. We provided each customers with an Asigra appliance built with a virtual windows 7 Asigra client on VMware with enough disk space to hold local backups of all servers as well as be able to restore and run most servers as virtual machines should it be necessary. Customer setups are created within the cloud portal first by selecting the New DS-client wizard on the DS-Operator program then a Registration file is exported. On the customer end, SQL Server Express is installed on a windows box then the Asigra client is installed before the Registration file is imported and a connection made to the DS-Operator program in the cloud, then necessary configurations are entered. An initial backup set is then organised.

Our vendor is based in USA and we are on the other side of the world so we implemented everything ourselves.

I’m unable to answer this as I wasn’t privy to the financial details, being a new member of the team at the time. However I was told that the licensing for Asigra was quite high.

I’m also unable to answer this as I did not have access to the financial details. With regards to day to day costs, the troubleshooting and maintenance of failed backups can be time consuming.

I’m unable to comment as I was not with this company when they were evaluating other options. However, we began to look into Iaso to see if it was easier to use. I was not around to find out the result.

What other advice do I have?

The internet connection speed can make or break this product. Without good bandwidth there would be no point in considering any cloud backup solution. As with everything in IT, the more disk space you can afford in licensing costs, the better. Hopefully there are some cheat sheet or best practices out there for guidance. The Asigra forum has many helpful members as well.

it_user164892 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Backup of databases like Oracle and SAP could be improved, Everything is automated and no hassles for the administrator.

What is most valuable?

Agentless backup, Desktop and laptop backup, BMR.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we have implemented Asigra we don’t have an administrator to do manual backup to tapes and external HDD. Everything is automated and no hassles for the administrator.

What needs improvement?

Backup of databases like Oracle and SAP.

3 years

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

8/10.

5/10, Due to different timezones it would always be difficult to get hold of a tech. Need to have more people on board for support which covers all timezones and should be an expert in the product.

We did not have a backup solution in place, ease of management is one key factor to use Asigra.

Since I work on backup and storage for more than 6 years it looked pretty straightforward.

In-house team.

80%.

Don’t recollect since it was handled by the procurement team.

What other advice do I have?

Ease of use and management, one time setup is what all it requires to get going.