Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Alteryx Designer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Alteryx Designer is #12 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give Alteryx Designer an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Alteryx Designer is most commonly compared to Azure Data Factory: Alteryx Designer vs Azure Data Factory. Alteryx Designer is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 17% of all views.
Alteryx Designer Buyer's Guide

Download the Alteryx Designer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Alteryx Designer?

Alteryx Designer Video

Alteryx Designer Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Alteryx Designer pricing:
  • "Alteryx Designer is an expensive solution."
  • "It is too expensive for our country. We are a small country, so it is too difficult to sell this solution. With Alteryx Designer, if you want to automate the data and run the flows, you have to pay more money. We were trying to automate the flows, and we found out that people have to pay 600 more for this feature, which makes it even more expensive. We are a partner for Tableau, and we are working with Tableau Prep, which is like a mini Alteryx. In Tableau Prep, you can drag and drop and make new connections with the different data sources. You can make all the connections. You can also publish a source. You don't have to pay more money with Tableau. You pay like $5 per user per month to access it."
  • "Alteryx is a little bit expensive compared to competing solutions."
  • Alteryx Designer Reviews

Analytics Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good analytics and data preparation and easy to set up
    • "The product offers very good analytics."
    • "The product could offer more connectors and more databases with support for the in-database function."

What is our primary use case?

As a consultancy, we sell projects on Alteryx. I've done projects based on data integration, data preparation, and also we have a data science project that we are working on as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a webinar recently with a truck manufacturer. It has been very helpful to them in order to have a system that can help them with predictive maintenance.

What is most valuable?

The features that are related to data preparation are quite useful to us. We automate analytics tasks saving thousand of ours from our clients. In general, we start with a scenario of a lot of manual work and we automate it.

The product offers very good analytics, not just automating what was done before in a very long process, but we also bring much more power with geospacial analytics and data science.

What needs improvement?

The product could offer more connectors and more databases with support for the in-database function.

For example, there is one special feature that we use that's an in-database connection feature. When we use this, the operation that we are designing runs directly on the database. However, currently, it only works with a few databases. We would like to have more options for this feature. It needs to integrate better across other databases.

The reporting features can be a bit complicated sometimes.

There could be more scheduling options available on the server.

Alteryx Designer
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Alteryx Designer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. I've used it for a good amount of time.

The product is very stable. I like it a lot. We sell this product in Brazil and we have a good support team. Compared to other tools, the demand for support is very low due to the fact that there are very few problems to deal with.

The scalability of the product is very very good. We sell other products, such as business intelligence tools, and we usually compare the performance between them and Alteryx. Alteryx always wins.

In general, the companies we work with range from medium to large. We work with some of the biggest companies in Brazil.

Typically, we start very small with one team, and we try to understand and test Alteryx in the context of the company. Then, we generally expand very quickly, over one to two years, from a departmental use to a more corporate use. Therefore, we go into the product under the assumption the company will expand usage in the future.

The solution is very stable, so we don't use technical support a lot. When we had to use it, it was very good. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

Their documentation is also very good. They have medium complexity materials, and what is nice is that they're all translated to Portuguese. It's all very broad and easy to understand. Even when they launch a new product, in a few days, all the documentation is ready and the quality is very good.

In the past, I worked with Qlik (QlikView and Qlik Sense), I still do, but we find much more gain to our clients with Alteryx, projects are faster and deliver more value.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not too complex at all. We enjoyed the process.

Deployments typically take anywhere from two weeks to a month to execute.

I advise clients to think about the gains in the first project and also all you can achieve with the hours saved by automation and also with broader analytics.

We do tend to evaluate other options for companies. What we recommend depends on the usage. A lot of companies just use Excel. They end up moving from Excel to Alteryx. Some of them had some Excel tools, for example, Microsoft SSIS, the SQL Server Integration Services. That's very common. Then a few of them, it's not very common moved from SAS or KNIME to Alteryx.

Alteryx can do a lot of things, such as data integration and preparation, as well as data science. Everything is in one tool. You don't need to integrate a lot of different tools from different vendors. I'd say that's the main differentiation when you compare different products.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an Alteryx consultant. I use the solution myself often. We're an Alteryx partner. We're currently at the second tier, as a preferred partner.

I'm using the latest version of the solution.

If a company is considering a solution such as this, should think about the performance of their change, what they would do if they could be faster in the analysis that they do. That's a special point when using Alteryx. They need to think about what analysis they're not able to do today. When they think about it, they will understand the benefits of Alteryx.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

ZavedAhmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Business Associate at Tech Mahindra
    Effective machine learning models, plenty of functionality, and free version available
    • "Alteryx Designer is easier to use for machine learning models. However, I am not very good at Python scripts which you will need to make the machine learning scripts."
    • "Alteryx Designer overall should be easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Alteryx Designer mainly for machine learning and random product design.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features, such as machine learning, textual analytics

What needs improvement?

Alteryx Designer overall should be easier to use.

I have been using Alteryx Designer for approximately one year.

I have not tested the scalability of Alteryx Designer very much. However, Celonis is more scalable than Alteryx Designer.

We have many departments using this solution. However, it is limited because of the high cost of the solution.

I have not used the Alteryx Designer technical support very much because I am not at that level of maturity to fully use or harness the capacities of Alteryx Designer. In my previous company, the exposure or the proof of concepts was not that involved, even though I tried two or three. I didn't have much proof of concepts or sponsors to sponsor proof of concepts.

It needs a significant amount of time and my previous company was not that keen on new novice learners who would try to extract something out of the data. They were very reluctant in giving access to explore the data and find out something meaningful. I believe in that respect, Amazon was much better because they used to give you it by default, they used to take risks. Risk-taking is in their DNA, but my previous company being a liquor company, they were very reluctant to take the risk. In one and a half years, since I have started Alteryx Designer, I didn't have sponsors who would appreciate or like to explore and go deep into it. They have their own machine language, machine learning people from top-ranking universities, and they would not like to explore anything outside of their own thought process. There's no democratization of these tools. You need to explore, and then only will you be able to learn what the potential of it is because use cases can come from anywhere.

I have used other solutions, such as Celonis and MuleSoft.

Alteryx Designer has some features Celonis does not have, such as machine learning and textual analytics.

Alteryx Designer's main purpose is not for process mining. It can cater to the needs of process mining, analytics, and automation, everything in one solution. They call it an analytics automation solution. The audiences of Celonis and the audiences of Alteryx Designer are different. So the audience of Alteryx Designer is mostly data science graduates, on the other hand, Celonis is mostly used by people who want to migrate from processes to process excellence. The technical abilities are a little lesser compared to Alteryx Designer.

The initial setup of Alteryx Designer was somewhat straightforward. You need to know what exactly you want to do, and you need to know exactly what is the outcome that you want out of one exercise or one activity that you are going to do in Alteryx Designer.

I have used the analytics of one process, which I use mostly in the SOD of my previous company. The problem was it was not allowing us to recognize the data, which is there in the ServiceNow, and the data that goes into SAP. We used Alteryx Designer pixel analytics to compare both and find out what exactly was missing. That was very fast, we were able to finish in approximately a week. The data was used was for approximately six months, which was approximately one TB, it was done very fast.

I would rate the complexity of Alteryx Designer a five out of ten and I would rate the complexity of Celonis a three out of ten. Celonis is easier to do the implementation.

Alteryx Designer is an expensive solution.

I am using the educational version of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Alteryx Designer has so many functionalities packed into one package that you get a lot of things that you wouldn't have expected. For example, textual analytics. You can use it for self orchestrating workflows, it's wonderful. Additionally, you receive the educational license for three months whereby they can learn. Only the Alteryx Designer advance or Alteryx Designer expert level examination do you need to pay. You can receive certifications, which is great.

I rate Alteryx Designer a nine out of ten.

Alteryx Designer
    September 2022
    633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Oriana Escobar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of Analytics at Computing Resources
    An easy-to-understand and easy-to-use solution for good and efficient flows
    • "The functionality of drag and drop is the most valuable. It is a very user-friendly tool that can be understood easily. My teams also work with other solutions, such as Integration Services, and these solutions are very difficult for people who don't have technical knowledge."
    • "Its price can be improved. It is too expensive for our country. Because of its high price, we can't sell Alteryx Designer in this region. We used to be their reseller partner. There is also an additional cost for automating the data and running the flows, which makes it even more expensive. It will be very good if they can let users automate the data for free. Other solutions like Tableau provide this feature for free."

What is our primary use case?

We have a few customers who use this solution. They already have this solution in their company. They ask us to help them in creating different flows for different solutions and preparing different kinds of data. We only give support to these customers. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. It is too expensive for our country. Because of its high price, we can't sell Alteryx Designer in this region. We used to be their reseller partner.

There is also an additional cost for automating the data and running the flows, which makes it even more expensive. It will be very good if they can let users automate the data for free. Other solutions like Tableau provide this feature for free.

I have been using Alteryx Designer for five years.

It is really stable. It is a very good product.

It is expensive, which is the main problem. If you want to have the enterprise version, you have to pay for the server, which costs a lot of money. Our customers are big enterprises.

We never needed technical support.

The initial setup is totally easy. It doesn't take a lot of time. It is easy to implement for us. We have a lot of experience in data modeling and architecture. We have different consultants who have knowledge of integration, architecture, modeling, and data.

It is too expensive for our country. We are a small country, so it is too difficult to sell this solution. With Alteryx Designer, if you want to automate the data and run the flows, you have to pay more money. We were trying to automate the flows, and we found out that people have to pay 600 more for this feature, which makes it even more expensive.

We are a partner for Tableau, and we are working with Tableau Prep, which is like a mini Alteryx. In Tableau Prep, you can drag and drop and make new connections with the different data sources. You can make all the connections. You can also publish a source. You don't have to pay more money with Tableau. You pay like $5 per user per month to access it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very nice solution. We love it. It is the best solution among similar kinds of solutions. It, however, is too expensive, and people can't buy it. It doesn't matter how good a solution is if people can't buy it. As an ex-reseller partner of Alteryx, we always talk about the good quality and functionalities that Alteryx has.

You can make very good and efficient flows in this solution, but you have to do the research for this kind of product and follow the best practices. You need to clean and prepare the data.

I would rate Alteryx Designer an eight out of ten.

LeandroSodré - PeerSpot reviewer
    Data Governance Analyst at Data Meaning, Inc.
    Good data integration, data pipeline creation, and the ability to connect to multiple data sources
    • "I believe in the ability to connect to multiple data sources, as well as the ease of use to transform data and output data in a variety of formats."
    • "It would be simpler if they provided a component where you could simply enter some parameters and see the results."

What is our primary use case?

We use Alteryx Designer to build data integration. Alteryx allows you to connect to multiple data sources. It also connects with some tools natively to capture metadata.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a powerful tool because you can use it to create data integrations. If you want to use it as a data engineering tool, you can even create some data pipelines there. As I previously stated, I have only used it for a short time, but you can also create Python scripts there.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The data engineering and integration need to be improved.

I'm not sure if it already exists, but it could include some components that allow you to simply connect to the API's endpoint and consume it. To do it today, I would have to use Python components and develop it through a script.

I have been using Alteryx Designer for three months.

We are working with version 2022.

Alteryx Designer is a stable solution.

I believe that Alteryx Designer is scalable.

Because I work for a consulting firm, we have a large number of people who work on it. I'd estimate that maybe 50 people use this.

We do have plans to increase our usage.

I have not contacted technical support.  I called my colleagues for assistance.

I used to use SAS Guide a long time ago.

As I have never had to configure it on the server side, I am not sure how complicated it is, and I don't know how many people you need to deploy and maintain it. However, as a developer, it is very simple because it is on a desktop. You simply install and begin using it.

Yes, there is a return on investment. The clients are very pleased with this solution.

I am not aware of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

When considering bringing some pipelines, I would recommend that you always look at Alteryx Designer. If you just want to integrate some tools or solutions, Alteryx can help.

I would rate Alteryx Designer an eight out of ten.

Solutions Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Scalable, easy to use, and offers good predictive analysis
    • "The product is very stable. The performance is reliable."
    • "The actual usage part of it needs to be explained more. It's too vague right now."

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple clients and multiple use cases - for every type of domain, be it finance, marketing, any domain. I cannot be very specific about them, however, there are plenty of use cases for different sectors.

What is most valuable?

I really like most of the transformation functionality.

The solution offers very good investigation functions and predictive analysis.

It's fairly easy to use and easy to implement and deploy, and also makes it very easy to fetch data.

The solution scales well.

The product is very stable. The performance is reliable.

What needs improvement?

I have been working mostly on the designer aspect of the solution and I have found that the product and needs to improve its reporting tool.

The actual usage part of it needs to be explained more. It's too vague right now. For example, the solution needs more specific use case information. I need to know how we can deal with the BI tools on the market and the reporting tools standards. I want insights into these types of comparisons.

I've been using the solution for about a year and have been providing the solution to customers for about six or so months. Maybe even more.

The solution is very stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It is reliable.

The product scales quite well. If a company needs to expand it, it can.

We do have a lot of customers on the solution currently, however, I cannot share exact numbers.

The implementation process is very easy. It's not overly difficult or complex. A company should have no issues with the implementation process.

I cannot recall the exact amount of time deployment took.

We are consultants. We can help our customers set up the solution.

The licensing renews on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I was a consultant and now I am in pre-sales.

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I cannot speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've mostly been very happy with the product.

I would recommend this product to other users and organizations.

Franklin Nascimento - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Associate at Data Meaning, Inc.
    Its browser tool lets you view how your data is handled live
    • "I like Alteryx's browser tool because you can view how your data is handled live. There are many other valuable tools like transpose and the crosstab. You can quickly pivot your data, and there are connections throughout the database. It's so easy to create a connection. If you connect to sign apps or a more complex database, the tool contains all the tools you need."
    • "Alteryx needs to improve its web governance. The gallery you use to filter the data is something else that could use some work. For instance, if you have a report connected to a database and want to filter a specific user, you should be able to suggest a specific region or a particular year. I know that the Alteryx isn't designed for data governance, but that would be great to think about."

What is our primary use case?

We have a client who is manually processing Excel files. They want to do some integrations and calculate values in their spreadsheets, and they're working with multiple steps and complex formulas.

We migrate everything into Alteryx, which our client can use to change values, eliminating the manual steps that they were doing on Excel. That was the last job I did, but it wasn't data preparation. It was more like an ETL thing.

What is most valuable?

I like Alteryx's browser tool because you can view how your data is handled live. There are many other valuable tools like transpose and the crosstab. You can quickly pivot your data, and there are connections throughout the database. It's so easy to create a connection. If you connect to sign apps or a more complex database, the tool contains all the tools you need.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx needs to improve its web governance. The gallery you use to filter the data is something else that could use some work. For instance, if you have a report connected to a database and want to filter a specific user, you should be able to suggest a specific region or a particular year. I know that the Alteryx isn't designed for data governance, but that would be great to think about.

I've been working with Alteryx for about 10 years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Alteryx Designer nine out of 10.

Data Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    Easy to install, and there is good support with a strong community

What is our primary use case?

This product is used for reporting and designing workflow processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integrated properties and integrated connectivity.

What needs improvement?

If the price were reduced then it would be more competitive.

I have been using Alteryx Designer for approximately two weeks.

The technical support is good. They have a strong community that is helpful.

Prior to using Alteryx, I was using another product.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Alteryx is a little bit expensive compared to competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any offers to work with Alteryx, so I am not sure if I will continue working with it in the future. In summary, this is a good product, but it is a little bit costly.

Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to use and high-performing solution

What is our primary use case?

I use Alteryx Designer to do training and project for a consultative firm.

What is most valuable?

Alteryx Designer's best features are that it's easy to use and performs well.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx could move faster to create a cloud equivalent of the desktop version of Designer. They could also make their new releases more stable as they always seem to have bugs. In the next release, Alteryx Designer should include more integrations with Qlik Sense and Qlik Sales.

I've been using Alteryx Designer for seven years.

Alteryx Designer is easy to scale up.

Alteryx Designer's technical support tend to avoid questions related to integrations.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Alteryx Designer eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner and reseller
    Download our free Alteryx Designer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022