IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response is #15 ranked solution in EDR tools. PeerSpot users give WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response an average rating of 8 out of 10. WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response is most commonly compared to SentinelOne: WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response vs SentinelOne. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response?

Hackers are designing malware to be more sophisticated than ever. Through packing, encryption, and polymorphism, cyber criminals are able to disguise their attacks to avoid detection. Zero day threats and advanced malware easily slip by antivirus solutions that are simply too slow to respond to the constant stream of emerging threats. Organizations of all sizes need a solution that leverages a holistic approach to security from the network to the endpoint. WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response (TDR) is a powerful collection of advanced malware defense tools that correlate threat indicators from Firebox appliances and Host Sensors to stop known, unknown and evasive malware threats.

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response was previously known as WatchGuard TDR.

Download the Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response Customers
Goodwill New York / New Jersey, F4 IT, Café Comunicação Integrada
WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response Video

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response Pricing Advice

What users are saying about WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response pricing:
  • "The price of WatchGuard is very good."
  • "The pricing is competitive."
  • "There is a license required to use the solution and we pay annually. The price could be reduced because it is a bit expensive."
  • WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response Reviews

Mohamed Y Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good log correlation features, straightforward to set up, and works with traditional antivirus products
    • "The most valuable feature is the correlation of logs from different devices."
    • "This product needs to be fully integrated with the firewall. Currently, it only sends logs to the cloud and asks the firewall to correlate them."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and WatchGuard is one of the product lines that we implement for our customers. I am the person in the company that is responsible for WatchGuard products. We do not use this product in my organization. I'm enabling partners and providing training for them on how to use this technology and how to sell it. I assist customers with implementing PoC installations in different environments. This product has a dashboard on the cloud that manages logs coming for the WatchGuard Firebox and workstations. It is a good product but it is not a fully integrated EDR or endpoint solution.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is one that not many customers request.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the correlation of logs from different devices. If there is a traditional antivirus solution installed on the machine then we can use it with this solution, helping to protect the endpoint from zero-day attacks.

What needs improvement?

This product needs to be fully integrated with the firewall. Currently, it only sends logs to the cloud and asks the firewall to correlate them. If it were fully integrated with WatchGuard Firebox then it would make sense.
    Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR)
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike and others in Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR). Updated: May 2022.
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I began working with WatchGuard products approximately two years ago but WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response is one that I have not been working with for a long time.

Scalability is very good because it's just an endpoint and therefore, it is managed through the cloud. There are no challenges.

Technical support for this product is perfect. If you open a ticket with them, even with the slowest SLA, they reply to you within four hours. You can also request that they open a remote session with you.

Quite some time ago, I had experience with Sophos products as a distributor in Egypt. I also have experience with products by Fortinet. I have been evaluating Fortinet because they are one of our competitors.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the number of endpoints that we are dealing with. For a new setup, we can complete the bulk of the deployment at one time, but it is better to schedule it. This also depends on the number of endpoints because if it is huge then it will take time. A small number of endpoints, such as 20 machines can be completed in perhaps one to two hours. The number of people required for deployment also depends on the number of endpoints.

Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Good protection and awareness, good scalability, and good support
    • "The protection that it provides from ransomware is valuable. The awareness that it has is also valuable. It didn't have a central console earlier, but now it has a central console, which is pretty good."
    • "It can have a couple of false positives, but after you add them to your allow list, it works fine. It could have better Mac support. I am pretty sure it doesn't have much support for Mac. It can be installed on a Mac, but it is not that good."

What is our primary use case?

We have got WatchGuard Firewalls. So, we use their EDR, which is a part of the security package that they provide us.

We use this solution for additional protection and response. We use it in combination with the antivirus that we provide to our clients. We have the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The protection that it provides from ransomware is valuable. The awareness that it has is also valuable.

It didn't have a central console earlier, but now it has a central console, which is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It can have a couple of false positives, but after you add them to your allow list, it works fine.

It could have better Mac support. I am pretty sure it doesn't have much support for Mac. It can be installed on a Mac, but it is not that good.

I have been using this solution for probably about a year.

It is stable.

Its scalability is really good. You can scale up or scale down depending on the number of users.

We have over 200 clients of this solution. We have plans to increase its usage. We'll be deploying it for other clients to whom we provide our services.

They provide very good support. I am definitely satisfied with their support.

It is straightforward. It doesn't take long.

We evaluated a couple of other options such as SentinelOne and Palo Alto EDR Edition. We went with this solution because it is inbuilt with the network security routers that they provide. It is like an all-in-one sort of bundle system, and that's why we chose it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response a nine out of ten. It is pretty good, and I am satisfied with it.

Private Cloud
    Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR)
    May 2022
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    System Administrator at a retailer with 11-50 employees
    Advanced defence tools that stop known and unknown malware threats
    • "WatchGuard is very user-friendly. It provides us with all of the security services we need."
    • "When it comes to live-monitoring, the user-interface could be improved to make things easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use WatchGuard for security services mostly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using WatchGuard for more than 10 years.

WatchGuard is very stable. I would compare it to other top solutions. We have never experienced any bugs or glitches.

I cannot speak about large deployments, but documentation-wise, WatchGuard is pretty scalable. It is easily scalable, you just have to choose the proper hardware — that's it.

The technical support is very fast and reliable. They are very professional. We have never had any issues with the technical support team.

I used to use FortiGate. The main difference between FortiGate and WatchGuard is their interfaces. FortiGate uses a web-based interface for configuration, whereas WatchGuard has a special application for management. WatchGuard also has a web-based interface but centralized management is done specially. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same product when it comes to functionality, user-friendliness, cost-effectiveness, etc.

The initial setup was very easy, we experience no issues. It comes with very good documentation.

The price of WatchGuard is very good.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give WatchGuard a rating of nine.

I would recommend WatchGuard or something from FortiGate. These two solutions are pretty similar and very good in terms of quality and functionality. I have personally used both of them and they're great.

Hybrid Cloud
    Senior Manager IT Security and Infrastructure at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Offers good protection and analytics, and technical support is quick to respond
    • "The analytics are important because if there is an abnormality then it provides that information to us."
    • "The ease of detecting where an issue is should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our company routinely deals with credit card numbers in transactions and we use WatchGuard to protect our clients' information.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the protection that it offers.

The analytics are important because if there is an abnormality then it provides that information to us.

What needs improvement?

The ease of detecting where an issue is should be improved. It would be helpful if when an issue is detected, the system can send us an SMS message to our phones. This would allow us to immediately respond.

I have been working with WatchGuard since 2015, although we only implemented the Threat Detection and Response earlier this year.

Technical support is good. Our level one support in the country is near our office and when we have an issue they immediately respond.

We have had no issues with deployment because it can be pushed to the client.

The pricing is competitive.

What other advice do I have?

When we implement a new product such as this, we start with a PoC. We ask our vendor to provide a demonstration and then we use it in our environment. This allows us to test each of our scenarios. My advice to others is to follow this approach whenever they want to use a product. Do the testing before they buy it.

Every product has it's weaknesses. Just because it benefits one company, doesn't mean that it benefits another. This is why testing is important.

Yintho Taev - PeerSpot reviewer
    Logistics Supervisor at Andromeda Distribution Corporation
    Secure, helpful support, and simple implementation

What is our primary use case?

I use WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response to protect our clients from ransomware, spam, and other threats. We want to make sure all their applications are secure.

I have been using WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response for approximately two years.

WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response is a reliable solution.

I have found WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response to be scalable.

We have approximately 30 people using this solution.

If we are not able to find answers to our questions about the solution from documents we can contact the support online through a portal on the application we have. They are able to help us when we have issues.

I was using a different solution previously to WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response.

The installation of WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response is straightforward. It did not take a lot of time, approximately 10 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate WatchGuard Threat Detection and Response an eight out of ten.

Download our free Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Report and find out what your peers are saying about WatchGuard, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike, and more!
    Updated: May 2022