IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware NSX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware NSX is #1 ranked solution in top Network Virtualization tools, #2 ranked solution in best Cloud Security companies, #2 ranked solution in top Network Automation tools, and #2 ranked solution in top Microsegmentation Software tools. PeerSpot users give VMware NSX an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. VMware NSX is most commonly compared to Cisco ACI: VMware NSX vs Cisco ACI. VMware NSX is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
VMware NSX Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware NSX Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is VMware NSX?

VMware NSX is a full-stack network and security virtualization platform that enables the virtual cloud network. NSX provides a software-defined process for networking that expands throughout cloud frameworks, data centers, and application structures. Users can join and secure applications within their container and multi-cloud infrastructure and their data center. With robust automated provisioning, the platform offers dynamic flexibility and scalability without compromising on network speed or agility.

VMware NSX recreates the whole software network model so that users can create and deliver apps quickly and securely. Users can customize security policies and leverage IDS/IPS to block against lateral threats. These security policies can be managed throughout private and public clouds from one pane of glass, no matter where your applications run. By consolidating networking and security tasks into a unified platform, users can save up to one-third of their budget.

VMware NSX Use Cases

VMware NSX brings the operational model of a virtual machine to users’ data center networks and revolutionizes the foundations of network and security operations. There are a number of use cases, including:

• Containers - Similar to VMs, users can offer unified, full-stack networking and security for microservices and containerized apps. This includes the ability to micro-segment, use container networking for Kubernetes, and offers complete visibility for microservices.
  • App Delivery - Users can deliver infrastructure as code while also accelerating app delivery with blueprints that can automate the management of security and networking resources.
  • Security - With zero-trust security in public and private cloud environments, users can reduce attacks, lock down critical apps, and design a logical DMZ in software.
  • Load Balancing - Users can update their data centers from legacy load balancers to software load balancers and SDN automation, creating savings of over 50%.
  • Multi-Cloud - Expand networking across clouds and streamline multi-cloud operations with multi-cloud use cases, including rapid workload mobility, seamless data center extension, and multi-DC pooling.

Reviews from Real Users

Through a policy-driven approach, VMware NSX provides VMware technologies to assist with network and security visualization in a unified solution. Users particularly like the distributed firewall and the management dashboard.

Kolawole O., a systems engineer at a tech services company, writes, "NSX's stand-out function is the distributed firewall. The firewall system is just top-notch, and I haven't seen another solution like it."

A head of business development and partners management at a comms service provider notes, "I really like the management dashboard, the tailor-made assurance, the telemetry, and the ease of integration with all other solutions of VMware, such as vSphere."

VMware NSX was previously known as VMware Nicira.

VMware NSX Customers

City of Avondale, Lumeta, Kroll Ontrack, Heartland Payment Systems, Baystate Heallth, Exostar, Tribune Media, iGATE, NTT Communications, Synergent, California Natural Resources Agency, Bloomington Public Schools, Columbia Sportswear, Join Experience S.A, Schuberg Philis

VMware NSX Video

VMware NSX Pricing Advice

What users are saying about VMware NSX pricing:
  • "I'm unable to give information on the pricing or licensing cost of VMware NSX because I've never been someone who looks into the economic part of any security or virtualization solutions. That's handled by an entirely different team, and I don't even have the slightest idea about the costs associated with the solution, though I've heard pricing for VMware NSX is on the higher side."
  • "You can scale NSX if you have the resources, but it's usually expensive and complex to scale up."
  • "I was not involved in the purchase of the solution but I hear it is on the expensive side."
  • "All the institutions have to pay monthly for the services in the cloud. They have to pay $30,000 every month for this service every three years."
  • VMware NSX Reviews

Security Services Specialist Individual Contributor at a tech company with 11-50 employees
    Reliable and has a good console that requires less effort when using, but is resource-intensive and not as easy to scale
    • "Though I haven't been working a lot on VMware NSX, it's good to have. What I like the most about it is that its console is good, and it doesn't take a lot of effort in terms of doing my daily tasks on it or what it's meant for. VMware NSX is still a preferred product in the market."
    • "An area for improvement in VMware NSX is that it uses up more resources and is heavy on the network. What I'd like to see in the next release of the solution is more automation."

How has it helped my organization?

We aren't a service-based company, so in terms of improvement, VMware NSX hasn't improved our company, but we need it for business purposes because we do have clients who give us all these products, and they tell us to evaluate these products in our environment and then give them reports on those products. VMware NSX is a good product, but for us, the solution doesn't add that much value to our organization.

What is most valuable?

Though I haven't been working a lot on VMware NSX, it's good to have. What I like the most about it is that its console is good, and it doesn't take a lot of effort in terms of doing my daily tasks on it or what it's meant for. VMware NSX is still a preferred product in the market.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement in VMware NSX is that it uses up more resources and is heavy on the network.

What I'd like to see in the next release of the solution is more automation.

I've been using VMware NSX for more than two years now.

VMware NSX
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

VMware NSX is a stable solution. It's very reliable.

VMware NSX, In terms of scalability, particularly at the enterprise level, is hectic. It's a complex process if you want to scale it compared to its competitors. It still depends, for example, if you've been in VM all your life or if you have been a VM administrator for a long time, you'll take comfort in something new, so people tend to go for it. If it's a new customer, an upgrade, or if the entire organization is going through a revamp, the process is quite complex. On a scale of one to five, I'll rate the scalability of VMware NSX a four.

VMware NSX has great support, and I have no complaints about it. The support for this solution is reasonable.

The initial setup for VMware NSX was pretty straightforward. In terms of our implementation plan, mostly we have standard SOPs that we have laid down for our implementation teams and we stick to those. It would still depend on the environment where we're going to execute it, for example, it could be on-premises or on the cloud, and we'd also take into consideration which type of cloud they have and what other technologies they have in their environment, so based on all of those, the implementation plan and how we're going to approach the implementation changes.

How long the deployment of VMware NSX takes would depend on the client, the environment, and the requirements, but for the basic setup or initial setup where we would just get the box and the do configuration, the IP, etc., that doesn't take more than four to five days.

Our deployment model for VMware NSX used to be on-premises, but now the deployment is mostly on the public cloud.

We used consultants for the implementation of VMware NSX.

I'm unable to give information on the pricing or licensing cost of VMware NSX because I've never been someone who looks into the economic part of any security or virtualization solutions. That's handled by an entirely different team, and I don't even have the slightest idea about the costs associated with the solution, though I've heard pricing for VMware NSX is on the higher side.

We haven't evaluated other virtualization solutions apart from VMware NSX.

What other advice do I have?

VMware NSX is a solution I use at the company very often. My company is a partner of VMware and I analyze products such as the VMware NSX, and I give a detailed report on how the features are, what are the differences between the solution and its competitors, etc.

Deploying VMware NSX requires a team of four, but it would still depend on the skillset. For example, two people can do the work where one is in charge of the networking and one would act as a backup. Currently, my team of five users works on VMware NSX.

My advice to others looking into implementing the solution is to first go through the POC and the documentation before purchasing VMware NSX. Get to know the features best and find out what works for your organization and what doesn't, then take a calculated decision on whether you need the solution because some VMware solutions would be quite heavy on your environment if you are a mid-level enterprise. Other than that, VMware is a trusted name, and it has been in the market for quite some time now, and it's reliable. Though you should also evaluate other solutions, especially in terms of pricing because what I've heard is that VMware NSX is on the higher end, so it depends on what type of fees you want to check off your list. After evaluating all these factors, only then should you make that decision whether you want to go for VMware NSX or not.

My rating for VMware NSX on a scale of one to ten is seven, particularly for virtualization. Technology-wise and implementation-wise, I'm giving the solution a seven.

I would rate the solution a ten out of ten if it was less complex and had more automation. Currently, it's on the heavier side, for example, even the basic agent or basic software takes up a lot of space at the end-user level. VMware NSX should utilize fewer resources when it sits in your environment, so all the other users or other solutions in the environment would have ample resources to use. The solution shouldn't be heavy on the network.

My company is a partner but not a reseller of VMware NSX.

Kolawole  Olowoporoku - PeerSpot reviewer
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Reseller
    A flexible option for managing security, but setup is complex and documentation is lacking
    • "NSX's stand-out function is the distributed firewall. The firewall system is just top-notch, and I haven't seen another solution like it."
    • "NSX could better integrate with open-source products. Of course, it integrates with some, but I know many people are uncomfortable deploying NSX with certain open-source solutions, such as Radar."

What is our primary use case?

Our main use case is the distributed firewall. NSX can segment every application and server based on the ports they need to communicate externally. Ports that aren't required are inactive, so we activate them for some specific applications. We can get the ports from the application guys, activate the ones we need, and then disable the rest of the ports. We've done other things with NSX, but it's just mostly about the distributed firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

We typically run a lot of vulnerability assessments — sometimes spam testing — and get a lot of bad results because some ports are open. I think NSX has significantly cut down on that. Right now, we have been able to fix almost all of our problems with unnecessary ports being opened and related issues. We are secure in this specific aspect, so we can log other options.

What is most valuable?

NSX's stand-out function is the distributed firewall. The firewall system is just top-notch, and I haven't seen another solution like it. Aside from that, there are numerous other cases where NSX comes in handy. For example, we've done intrusion prevention and implemented some next-generation firewalls for service training. We deployed some next-generation firewalls inside certain servers. Then we could bring all the traffic down that was meant to lead each server to a specific firewall. The security guys put policies on the firewall for checking signatures and hash values to contain particular security breaches within the server and prevent them from affecting the network. So we could use the particular firewall that we usually use and use it within the server close-up at the data center instead of the VH.

What needs improvement?

NSX could better integrate with open-source products. Of course, it integrates with some, but I know many people are uncomfortable deploying NSX with certain open-source solutions, such as Radar. They don't integrate so well, and the integration is usually so complex that many people would rather not use them.

I've been using VMware NSX personally for one year now, but I'm a consultant on this product, so I've deployed it for multiple customers.

We've experienced some bugs with NSX's user interface. For example, sometimes we click something, and it's not clicking. But they put out a lot of updates and patches. Also, they've added some particular boards on the applications. So with every update, they make the user interface more stable.

VMware support is great. I would rate their support eight out of 10.

The NSX setup is complex. That's one area where they could improve. Generally, it's too complicated to deploy. You can spend two or three days on it. And if you've never done it before, it might take a week. So it takes a relatively long time and lacks comprehensive end-to-end documentation. We had inadequate documentation when we implemented it, but I think it's better now. Total deployment for us took more than two weeks, but there were some breaks in that time where we stopped working on it. We weren't under any deadline. If we were pressed, we could have finished in four or five.

After the initial setup, NSX doesn't require a whole lot of maintenance. It's mostly troubleshooting, checking error codes, etc. There is no dedicated maintenance personnel specifically for NSX. Some guys in the IT department support this solution along with several other solutions. We have about four to five people handling that side of things, but there are six of us in the whole department responsible for infrastructure.

It's hard to judge with new deployments because you need some time to start seeing a return. But after someone has had one or two years to achieve a mature deployment on the product, they'll generally be happy that they spent the money. After a year, I'm beginning to see the return on investment, but everyone would argue that it's still expensive for the first two or three months.

VMware NSX is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware NSX seven out of 10. If you are considering NSX, I suggest that you practice the deployment and know your use case. Know what you want to do with it and understand why you want to use the product. Identify the security features you want to use and consider what it's doing for your infrastructure. We're still exploring the features. I'm not sure we're using all the features that come with the application. There are so many that we have not used. For now, we're looking at more use cases and expanding on that knowledge.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    VMware NSX
    July 2022
    621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Roger Nurse - PeerSpot reviewer
    VMware NSX T/V Consulting Engineer /Solutions Architect at Plan IT Virtual, LLC
    Allows for seamless micro-segmentation and the support is exceptional
    • "From a security standpoint, the customer was able to better secure critical workloads while routing L2/L3 worked normally, giving them more confidence that they would be ready for any potential security incident mitigation or outage (DR)."
    • "Traffic flow introspection topology visibility is definitely needed because at the moment, NSX-T lacks in this area."

What is our primary use case?

The Environment was an active-active Tier-0 multi-site deployment (primary/secondary).

It contained compute and management clusters, and a small number of transport ESXi nodes (between five and six) v6.7u2, vCenter 6.7u2, AD.

The primary use case was to implement micro-segmentation and route production workloads through NSX-T via BGP. Our customer needed assurances that BGP routing within NSX-T would be efficient.

We implemented a very simple architecture and setup site with one NSX Manager as the primary source. This was a financial customer, thus security was the main item.

We had to explain to the customer that NSX-T deployment and micro-segmentation were two different projects explicitly.

How has it helped my organization?

NSX-T has allowed us to implement micro-segmentation in the customer's environment seamlessly (zero-trust). We have also looked at deploying Tufin or Gardicore, ReSTNSX as alternative tools. The Environment was an active-active Tier-0 multi-site deployment

The organization was able to begin scaling out its production workloads and clusters.

From a security standpoint, the customer was able to better secure critical workloads while routing L2/L3 worked normally, giving them more confidence that they would be ready for any potential security incident mitigation or outage (DR).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• N-VDS Geneve encapsulation L2/L3
    • Less need for the VM to hit the TOR switch to communicate with VMs on the same ESXi host/segment (logical switch)
    • Micro-segmentation capabilities/tagging
    • NSX-T dashboard/compute usage across the configuration allows a quick view
    • The NSX-T configuration screens are fairly easy to navigate but they might need to simplify them a bit in future versions.
    • Very extensive detailed configuration items can be set in Uplink profiles to better map pNICs
    • Edge TEP and Host TEP tunnel config and troubleshooting is much more understandable and verifiable

What needs improvement?

Traffic flow introspection topology visibility is definitely needed because at the moment, NSX-T lacks in this area.

A hardware scan of the ESXi host for possible incompatibilities should be added to NSX-T/vSphere, as it would allow us to know in advance, for example, if a pNIC is not compatible with a version of vSphere before moving forward with an NSX-T deployment.

It needs a better, integrated migration tool. Something like RestNSX with more elaborate capabilities from a troubleshooting perspective and pre-migration perspective would be an improvement.

I have used this solution version most recently, as it has not been out that long.

Many companies are moving to v3 and v3.01

N-VDS will be depreciated in newer versions and integrated within the standard VDS

From a recoverability standpoint, if designed correctly and perhaps if VMware SRM is integrated with NSX-T, it would help the stability of workload availability.

From a routing perspective, NSX-T must be designed for redundancy with cross/overlapping uplinks from the edge nodes to your L3 upstream devices. Routing will be more reliable with default routes in place. Hardware compute and compatibility with the solution is critical for good communication via the  nsx overlay network.  Overall this solution is very scalable

NSX-T is extremely scalable as a solution. Make sure that you plan your IP pools accordingly in advance if you plan to add many transport ESXi nodes in the future.

VMware Global support for NSX-T/V is exceptional.

We have never used any other solution. NSX is the premier product in this space.

The initial setup will go smoothly if the design of the solution was done correctly.

NSX-T can be complex if the discovery phase was not granular enough.

We implemented it with an in-house team.

Customers will better be able to determine ROI once they have been running the solution for a year or so. How much they will have from the Capex perspective will have to be calculated.

My advice is to make sure that you properly scope the project from both hardware and network requirements. NSX-T can be complicated if it is not designed correctly.

Some customers are evaluating Gardicore vs NSX.

Gardicore is a great tool for micro-segmentation only. It can fill in many gaps that NSX-T misses with its native micro-seg capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

An NSX-T solution requires a solid understanding of routing/switching, IP pools, local egress, and solution design to be successful. It takes a team of both VMware and Cisco folks to collaborate to get it done right the first time.

As a customer, make sure you are hiring the best resources.

Private Cloud
    Head of Business Development and Partners Management at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Great management platform, good dashboard, and easily integrates with other VMware solutions
    • "I really like the management dashboard, the tailor-made assurance, the telemetry, and the ease of integration with all other solutions of VMware, such as vSphere."
    • "They have to work more and more on the integration for public cloud services and have cyber security platform integration."

What is our primary use case?

This product is a software-defined data center with a cloud-native approach. We mainly use it for application migration of some of the architecture to containerized solutions.

What is most valuable?

The management platform is great. I really like the management dashboard, the tailor-made assurance, the telemetry, and the ease of integration with all other solutions of VMware, such as vSphere. They also integrate well with other third-party security platforms. It's very easy to give an integration of the cloud tenant of NSX. It's very easy to build and migrate a cloud project.

What needs improvement?

It's very complex. However, I don't work directly with it typically.

We had started two projects for integration with OpenShift and OpenStack with NSX. It was declared by VMware that this is possible, however, the process is very tricky. The full integration was delayed to wait for a new official release. I don't know the actual stage, as this is something that happened more than a year or two ago. It was the beginning of the pandemic. In any case, the integration with OpenShift, the open-source cloud platform, at the time was in need of work and was (and remains) something required from our customers.

They have to work more and more on the integration for public cloud services and have cyber security platform integration.

I've been using the solution for about five years.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It seems to scale. However, we don't have enough data in order to say how much clients scale out or the performance when a company is trying to scale out an NSX-T environment. We are not a cloud provider. We don't have a cloud environment to test it.

In terms of who is using it on our side, we have about five to seven people who have the operational capability on NSX-T.

In our organization, we use only a small NSX-T cluster. We have a bigger one for our lab. I can't speak to the usage of our customers where we deployed it.

We're pretty satisfied with technical support.

We previously used OpenShift together with OpenStack. It's a different platform. One is open-source and the other is a commercial platform with vendor support and established customers.

The initial setup is very simple. It's not overly complex.

All the VMware platforms are really easy to implement. They require knowledge, of course. However, if you follow the procedure, the output is good.

The deployment itself doesn't take more than two or three days.

That said, we have knowledgeable workers that have done NSX and the previous release (not the NSX-T). They have done deployments several times. That's why, each time, it's really easy to do. If you have to do that in a customer production environment, it will take say no more than one week including both the deployment in production and the training for the customer.

We have three people that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

I can handle the implementation myself. We also have trained people inside our organization. We don't need the assistance of integrators or consultants.

I can't speak to the exact licensing costs of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Most deployments are on-premises or via a private cloud in the case of enterprise clients.

We started several deployments with NSX-T version 3. I can't speak to which version we are on currently.

It works and it is powerful in terms of governance, telemetry, ease of use, and ease of deployment. The operation is very simple. Of course, you have to train someone in order to use it effectively. It's very easy to find training. For us, it's good to have a third party with enough experience in order to support other projects where we don't have enough people in order to do that.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Feature rich, distributing routing useful, but expensive
    • "This is a good firewall and overall it is rich in features."
    • "There are sometimes mismatch in the control, the details and what you actually see on the transport note."

What is our primary use case?

Have used this solution to implement PAS (PCF) and have also used it for Native Datacenter networking as part of DC refresh.

How has it helped my organization?

Have worked on multiple organizations with VMware NSX. It heavily depends on the use case of the solution and how well you are able to use all the features of the product. When using for K8s container platforms or a networking backed for on premises cloud using a CMP(VRA, VIO) then VMware NSX is the best SDN solution but If an organization is not able to use NSX to its full potential (Switching, Routing, Load-balancing, Firewall, IDS, IPS etc.) then its not worth it.

What is most valuable?

Logical routing, switching are  overall good feature of this SDN solution especially when using CMP's and distributed firewall is very attractive features for micro-segmentation.

What needs improvement?

In rare situation there are  mismatch in the control plane data and dataplane data i.e. the details and what you actually see on the transport note. This is rare but time consuming to troubleshoot . Additionally, there could be better integration between VMware Cloud Federation (VCF) and NSX-T. Currently, there are some limitations, for example, VCF allows just one overlay transport zone. Also there is not upgrade path from VCF 3(NSX-T 2.5.x) to VCF 4 (NSX-T 3.x)

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The stability is good and is getter better after each new release.

The solution is scalable. In the 2.4 version, the controller got merged to create the cluster manager, it now is even better.

The technical support was pretty good, but recently I have had quite a few bad experiences with the support. But that really depends on the account and geographic location and multiple other factors

We have using Cisco ACI  and it is a strong competitor. When you are not using NSX NCP then everything that you need from SDN prospective can be done in Cisco ACI except for the distributed firewall at the vnic level.

The initial installation feels at first a little complex because there are a lot of components, but when you get the understanding after a short time, it is fine.

I was not involved in the purchase of the solution but I hear it is on the expensive side. That is why quite a few companies are moving towards open source because there are multiple solutions such as NginX, that can do the load balancing, and Calico and Flannel can do your logical switching routing.

If there is already VMware environment then it makes sense to use NSX-V, NSX-T as it can be integrated with other VMware automation products. But if approach it towards opensource then other SDN solutions like flannel, Nginx etc. can be evaluated depending on the use case.

What other advice do I have?

If you are wanting to implement this solution I would advise if your project supports it then definitely. You should have a solid use case, the solution is rich in feature sets and you should use all of them. Then only is it worth the money, if you are just buying it for your logical switching and routing, then it is not worth it.

I rate VMware NSX a seven out of ten.

Roger Nurse - PeerSpot reviewer
    VMware NSX T/V Consulting Engineer /Solutions Architect at Plan IT Virtual, LLC

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to implement network virtualization for L2/L3 traffic in customers environment and at a minimum implement baseline micro segmentation. each customer has a different business requirement depending on how their existing network is setup --what physical L3 devices are in place and how NSX will need to be configured to function properly.  Most customer using NSX V that we have worked with are running UCS servers or HP

with vsphere 6.7 /7  mid level transport node counts respectively etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed our customers to scale/extend their existing IP subnets and spin up new subnets on-demand for new app/web/DB tiers. Increasing overall VM-to-VM security and policy deployments. It has helped increase operational efficiency from a network management perspective. Many firms have multiple racks of equipment at different data centers that leveraging NSX definitely helps (extending the 'same' IP subnets to different racks in the same data center). For customers who use SRM, there are also great benefits (i.e., not having to manually re-IP DR-side VMs during a failover test).

What is most valuable?

• micro segmentation features
    • VDS
    • NSX Transport zone
    • vxlan encapsulation
    • edge services gateway
    • distributed logical router
    • esxi Vtep

By utilizing NSX V solutions from VMware, customers have the tools needed to move their data regardless of the underlying physical network. They can do this in a way that enforces proper security policies and compliance regulations. Even with SDN solutions, customers must protect their business-critical data residing in their virtual infrastructure

NSX V has less security features than NSX T just so you are aware

What needs improvement?

• NSX Manager console: limit on number of NSX Controllers an architecture can have
    • Support for ESXi, KVM, bare-metal servers, Kubernetes, OpenShift, AWS and Azure.
    • Integrate NSX Controllers into NSX Manager as a single virtual appliance so controllers no longer need to be deployed independently.
    • Directs to vCenter by registering Transport Nodes instead of registering NSX Manager inside of vCenter.
    • Use a more modern overlay technology for encapsulation that performs better and is more flexible for the future over older, more traditional VXLAN overlay technology.

I have used it for 3+ years.

Stability factors stemmed from existing ESXi host setup/configuration/performance and compute capacity; did not identify any stability issues with VMware NSX solution itself.

No scalability issues encountered.

Customer service is 10/10.

Technical support is 10/10.

No previous solution in place.

Straightforward setup; best practices need to be adhered to.

Implemented in-house in PoC/prod; showed customer PoC demo, then implemented at customer site with positive results.

As a VMware Partner, our ROI is the same as our customers perhaps. NSX helps us leverage our existing infrastructure that is used for training/consulting purposes.

No other options evaluated. VMware is the leader in network virtualization.

What other advice do I have?

Typically CCIE's are the ones tasked with implementing NSX due to their solid network background. Organizations for the most part do not have resources that know VMware as well as they know Cisco. The skills required to be well versed in deploying this technology is rare.

Private Cloud
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: VMware Professional Partner (consulting and training services)
    General Manager at SIEC SISTEMAS
    Reliable, with high availability and good connectivity
    • "The solution is very stable and reliable."
    • "There were some issues with finance and other accounting."

What is most valuable?

The stability or the high availability in connecting two or more servers has been pretty good. This is to maintain the operations in the possible highest stability. That was a very important part of this project since you have to move all virtual machines to the new infrastructure. It took a very, very long time to understand how the old architecture was arranged and how to migrate to our new architecture.

What needs improvement?

There were some issues in finance and other accounting. The applications there are very old. To move these applications, we had to use some controls or web services for programming in a new program, for example, in Python or visual C#. You have to move these applications to new programming software. It was very, very complex to move them. However, we ended up doing it very well.

ESX servers are a part that they don't implement. The client that this part of the VMware is important. You can implement more virtual machines using ESX server infrastructure. However, they couldn't complete this part since, for some arrangements in the contract, they don't put it in the contract. They need to buy new licenses to complete the project.

I’ve been using the solution for six to eight months.

The solution is very stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches, and it doesn’t crash or freeze. The performance is good.

We have maybe 2,000 users using the solution. We use them to move to new infrastructure.

I have experience using help desk support to understand all the users' needs. We were in the area of quality control, so all the requirements that the users or the managers were indicating to me, we had to transfer to the area of programming and they would say, “okay, I'll let you know if I can do it or not.” I was the go-between. It worked very well. Support was offering quality service.

I am able to help clients set up the solution. I’m an integrator.

The original cost started at $1,500. The solution is paid monthly. All the institutions have to pay monthly for the services in the cloud. They have to pay $30,000 every month for this service every three years.

What other advice do I have?

I am not a reseller. I am an integration company. More prominent companies contract us and we work for them.

I’d rate the solution nine out of ten.

VMware is a very, very good product. It's used a lot here in Ecuador in a lot of enterprises and institutions.

Senior Cloud Consultant with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Good security with improved scalability and allows for the creation of virtual access networks
    • "One of the big improvements between the NSX-V and NSX-T is that in NSX-T you are no longer dependent on V-Center anymore."
    • "Some configuration maximums are limiting to the user, especially when it comes to the deployment of very, very large environments."

What is our primary use case?

I work with two different companies with different large cloud environments.

This product is a software-defined network, and that allows you to create virtual access networks and managing security to allow for different workloads.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a very good software-defined network that allows you to create virtual access networks. It's very helpful at allowing you to manage security to allow for different workloads.

One of the big improvements between the NSX-V and NSX-T is that in NSX-T you are no longer dependent on V-Center anymore. That was a huge improvement due to the fact that it allows you to take into account new cases, and have better scalability, among other improvements.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement, in any solution.

In some cases, this product is very technical.

Some configuration maximums are limiting to the user, especially when it comes to the deployment of very, very large environments. There are limits to the number of firewall rules, security groups, et cetera. With the number of security groups, you can nest all these limits, however, somehow limiting the use cases may be restrictive for the free design of different use cases.

I've been working with the solution for a while at this point. It's been at least a couple of years.

The scalability capabilities have improved in NSX-T. It is much better than when the NSX-V version was out.

I work with two different clients, both of which are quite sizeable. They have thousands of machines and thousands of security groups.

I didn't work with another solution per se, however, the previous triggered cloud tool that we had was by VMware. It was not really, at least at the very beginning, a tool for a software-defined network, however, there were some elements that allowed you to create customer networks practically on the fly. There were also some other network visualization techniques, which allowed you actually to encapsulate the traffic and to create networks on the fly. You had some security constructs, including tenents constructs, that you can find somehow in the VRA today. The tenant concept is also present in NSX.

Our customers can use the solution for free, however, this comes with restrictions.

What other advice do I have?

We are consultants and integrators. We have a business relationship with VMware.

I am working with both NSX-V and NSX-T. The latest one is actually NSX-T.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.