IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Veeam Cloud Connect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veeam Cloud Connect is #9 ranked solution in top Disaster Recovery Software and #14 ranked solution in top Cloud Backup tools. PeerSpot users give Veeam Cloud Connect an average rating of 8 out of 10. Veeam Cloud Connect is most commonly compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Veeam Cloud Connect vs Veeam Backup & Replication. Veeam Cloud Connect is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.

Download the Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Veeam Cloud Connect?

Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise enables businesses to act as a disaster recover (DR) service provider to deliver off-site backup and replication services to internal customers. This eliminates complexity by removing the need to maintain a VPN connection and it improves security by encapsulating all backup and management traffic into a single port.

Veeam Cloud Connect was previously known as Veeam Cloud Connect for the Enterprise.

Veeam Cloud Connect Customers

Worldwide Holdings, ContinuitySA, MPY, Linxdatacenter

Veeam Cloud Connect Video

Archived Veeam Cloud Connect Reviews (more than two years old)

Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with good technical support, and it just works

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for offsite backup.

What is most valuable?

The best part about this solution is that it just works.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more advanced training courses made available to cover complicated use cases.

I have been using Veeam Cloud Connect for a couple of months.
Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Veeam Software, Zerto, MSP360 and others in Disaster Recovery (DR) Software. Updated: June 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

So far, it has been stable for us.

Scalability is not something that we have run into issues with. We have between 40 and 50 people who rely on it for backing up their data.

I have been in contact with technical support multiple times and I am satisfied with them.

I have also used IBM Spectrum and the biggest differences between these two products are scalability and usability.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I recommend it for simple environments. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Senior Systems Engineer - Team Lead at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Naturally avoids network changes when replicating
  • "Replication without network changes."
  • "Doesn't back-up from KVM."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for clients that are offsite and have Veeam installed and need to move their backups to a secondary location, which is our data center. We use Cloud Connect for that and we are partners of Veeam.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you can do a replica and you can use the appliance to bring up your workload to the cloud and have it look as if it's sitting on your site, meaning there are no network changes that happen when you need to do that.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the solution able to back-up from KVM. There have been major improvements with the response times over the lower bandwidth coming from the internet over Cloud Connect, with a lower bandwidth connection. I also think the cost factor is a major issue for Veeam because it's a very expensive soluton especially when the client wants support for VMware. The cloud is agnostic and apart from our Hyper-V and VMware environment, being a service provider we also have clients that are just using KVM as a hypervisor.

I've been using this solution for three months.

We've only used the solution for three months, and till now we've only onboarded one client. We're currently looking to expand on the product so we'll only know when we've done that. So far, it's stable.

In terms of scalability I think it will be a scalable solution but we'll only know when we see it once we're growing that environment. I believe it will be scalable, because you can deploy a new gateway server, and edit in to the gateway pools.

We have premier support with Veeam and they're very good.

I've recently also started working with Acronis Backup Cloud at one of my other clients. It's possible that I'm not too clued up with ransomware on Veeam, but Acronis provides real time ransomware and more protection. If it detects that you have ransomware on your machine or malware, it won't backup that machine. And the same for restoring. We have a client that recently got hit with ransomware. The problem was he had connected to his backup server and lost all his Veeam backup. The client also had Acronis and we had to leverage Acronis to do the restore. I'm actually tasked over the next week to restore Veeam services and I need to find some pure method to store his backups so that this doesn't happen again.

The initial setup wasn't as straightforward as backup and replication, but it wasn't too difficult either. So that's not too bad. It's an intermediate level of complexity. When you actually deploy your Veeam Backup environment, you need to configure your cloud repositories and your cloud gateway and then create the gateway portal with a load balancer for those gateways. It becomes complex because you need to know which one to do first. You might try to do one thing and it tells you to do something else first. It wasn't difficult just frustrating at times. I'm not sure how long it took in terms of hours, we scheduled the deployment of components over the course of a week.

We pay a service provider license which is based on a point system. It's a rental, so if we use 100 licenses, we pay for 100 licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution and recommend it to clients. From a data center point of view, I also do consultation as well as being the principal engineer for the data center from VMware and Veeam standpoint and I've always recommended Veeam for our clients. Right now I've got a very good opinion of the product but it remains to be seen what happens down the line.

For now, I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Disaster Recovery (DR) Software
June 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scales out from small to big companies perfectly and has good flexibility
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is very elastic. It's adaptable because it's very flexible and modular."
  • "The flexibility results in more administrative GUI. The GUI needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The flexibility results in more administrative GUI. The GUI needs improvement.

We have been using it for one year in testing.

Stability and scalability are perfect. It works perfectly.

Their technical support is great.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

The pricing is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Veeam Cloud Connect a nine out of ten. Not a ten because the GUI needs improvement. It's complex. If it was a little less complex it would get a ten.

I would recommend Veeam Cloud Connect. It's a great product because it's great scalability and it scales out from small to big companies perfectly. I think it's one of the best products that you can have on the market.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable, cost-effective, and simple to deploy
  • "This solution works really well and it is simple to deploy."
  • "The biggest thing that Cloud Connect needs is native deduplication."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Veeam Cloud Connect to provide Veeam customers, who do not have a secondary site of their own, a way to replicate their backup data to a secure off-site location. We have a multi-tenant Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure to receive the customer's backup data which is then stored onto our own cloud platform.

Veeam Cloud Connect also allows us to expand this service and provide customers with Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) if they need shorter RTOs.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Veeam Backup and Replication offered native S3 integration, Veeam Cloud Connect was the primary way for service provider's, such as ourselves, to implement a shared Veeam infrastructure and offer customers a service to store their backup data off-site. When we implemented this functionality, it allowed us to offer our Veeam customers a more complete solution offering and an alternative to tape for sending backup data off-site.

What is most valuable?

The multi-tenant design of Veeam Cloud Connect ensures customers only have access to their own data which is non-negotiable when offering cloud services using shared infrastructure.

The concept of Veeam Cloud Connect is also easy for customers to understand because you basically just replicate your backup data to another Veeam server hosted off-site by someone else.

What needs improvement?

Veeam offers native deduplication functionality which is an important factor when customers pay for their storage consumption, as is the norm for cloud-based solutions. However, Veeam's native deduplication, which also applies to Veeam Cloud Connect, is not always as efficient as the deduplication ratios achieved when using Veeam's native S3 cloud integration. That being said, Microsoft's ReFS has helped a lot in this regard.

We implemented Veeam Cloud Connect about two years ago.

When implemented correctly, with redundant solution components deployed, the solution is very stable and easily maintained.

Due to its multi-tenant nature and modular deployment model, it can be easily scaled to accommodate more customers or to add capacity. This solution is for our smaller customers because the larger ones typically have a secondary site of their own.

I have not been in contact with technical support personally but from what I understand, it is fairly good. We do most of the support ourselves but in cases that needed to be escalated, I haven't heard of any real issues.

We use different vendor offerings depending on the customer's specific requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's almost a set-and-forget type of solution.

Our in-house team implements this solution for our customers.

Veeam Backup and Replication is still one of the most cost-effective backup solutions on the market and offers very good value for money.

Recently, there has been a huge interest in Veeam's native S3 cloud integration as opposed to using Veeam Cloud Connect. I think that, currently, you can do more with your data if it is stored onto the Cloud Connect platform compared to storing it in an S3 container. However, Veeam is constantly expanding its S3 feature set so this might change in the near future.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you cannot afford, or do not have the capabilities of having your own secondary site, then Cloud Connect is a good alternative. It's usually sold as a service based on an OpEx model so there's no capital layout, which makes a lot of sense for customers embracing a cloud-based approach to data protection.

Before committing to a solution, do your homework and analyse your backup workloads to determine what your cloud storage consumption would be, especially if you retain data for a really long time. Using a cloud solution is a fast and easy way to get data off-site but the cloud storage costs might be high if your data sets don't deduplicate well.

Overall, this is a really good product.

Private Cloud

Other
System Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Great user interface and very easily deployed

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for back up. We have one medium enterprise client. We're a partner with Veeam.

What is most valuable?

For me, the interface is the most valuable feature but for the client it's security.

What needs improvement?

I think the pricing could be improved and I also think archiving could be improved. Veeam doesn't do the archiving. When I offer the client Veeam or Veritas, the client prefers Veritas because of the price. I think Veeam was a better choice for this company.

I would like to see both email archiving and file archiving as additional features.

I started using this solution a few months ago.

It's a very stable product.

It's a very scalable product.

Technical support is perfect, they are very helpful.

Implementation takes just a few hours and then perhaps another day for configuration of the backup shop. That's all. Implementation is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a 10 out of 10.

IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good stability, easy to scale, and has a straightforward setup
  • "The stability and restore options on the solution are very good."
  • "We need the solution to offer IT storage."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a back up for some clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at handling small data backups on small servers.

The stability and restore options on the solution are very good.

What needs improvement?

The possibility to move texts to cloud storage would be ideal. That may be coming in a future version.

It would be ideal if my storage wasn't directly attached to some other type of cloud storage, and was just in Cloud Connect instead of having to be on Amazon, or Azure, or Wasabi as well.

We need the solution to offer IT storage.

I use the product occasionally, according to our client's needs.

The solution is extremely stable. We haven't come across any bugs, crashes or glitches.

We've found the solution to be very scalable. It's scalable according to data and the data center, which is also scalable.

We have about ten people using the solution currently. The solution doesn't have as much stress as with a local backup.

We've been in touch with technical support. We have our own line that we can call if we have any issues. It's very good. We've been very happy with their level of service.

The initial setup was straightforward. We didn't run into any complexities.

As Veeam partners, we handled the deployment ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veeam partners.

I'd recommend the solution to others. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Solution Consultant & System Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
A good knowledge base, good stability and a rather straightforward setup
  • "While there are some complexities, Veeam tries to keep the product simple and offers a good knowledge base. It's quite structured, so you can easily take one subject and learn about it simply by reading through the documentation."
  • "The solution should allow for interfacing with other public cloud vendors. They could work to build something around that concept."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an off-site back-up. The backup copy of data from our organization lands on Cloud Connect in our private cloud instead of us using a second site.

What is most valuable?

The interesting part of the solution is that the customer does not have to invest in a second site to store their offsite backups. What we have found useful from our side is the ability to implement and also keep the initial backup using the solution.

Overall, the solution is rather good. From the experiences I've had, it's been useful. I might not be the perfect person to talk about improvements, since, from my perspective, I haven't used it as long as my colleagues. However, it's not that different from the standard on-premise configuration.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any improvements at the moment.

The solution should allow for interfacing with other public cloud vendors. They could work to build something around that concept.

There should be a way to easily migrate from one cloud provider to another.

I personally have only worked with the solution for about one year. My other colleagues have probably worked with the solution for about four or five years now.

Although I don't have any customers using it, I believe the solution to be stable. I haven't witnessed any bugs or glitches that have given me any concern. The stability is more dependant on the one connection than anything else.If the connection is good, you won't have a problem.

Up until now, I haven't had to log a ticket with Cloud Connect directly. I have logged tickets in the past with Veeam and in general, it was okay. They were quite responsive, and I didn't have any complaints about their level of service.

The initial setup was straightforward. I didn't experience any complexities.

Our deployment took half a day, but it could potentially be done quicker. For us, it needed to be prepared on the customer side and on our side as well.

I've installed this solution myself once and the installation was okay. But once you go through the installation you do have to do some configurations for the backup. With Veeam, once you set up some basic backup tasks, any administrator can handle maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We're Veeam partners.

The main difference between Cloud Connect and a standard on-premises solution is that the cloud is a cheaper alternative. For our purposes, we're using it mostly for offsite backups. We like to keep the primary backup offsite. It helps to make for a quick recovery. For me, the goal is to have a more economical approach to the secondary off-site backup, and that's the main advantage of Cloud Connect.

I'd advise other organizations to keep the first or the primary backup on-site and use Cloud Connect connected to a public or a private cloud to have a cheaper secondary copy. They should also keep the restore point (as much as possible) in this offsite backup storage location. It is cheaper than the on-site. The capital expense for the on-site storage should be kept as low as possible - without compromising the RGO of the restore, of course.

Flexibility is important. Clients should be offered the flexibility to choose whichever storage they would like for secondary storage or off-site backups. And they should also have the flexibility to change from providers as well.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'm not quite a Cloud Connect expert, however, with the experience I've had, it's quite good. I honestly haven't seen anything that is much better. It's not complex or difficult to use or learn. Of course, you need some experience, but the learning curve is not high.

Private Cloud
Sachin JungKarki - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Security Officer at KNS
Already more advanced than our customers needs with great scripting and automation pre-testing
  • "The solution is already far more advanced than our customers require. It offers advanced scripting and automation pre-testing to support the custom library and custom tasks."
  • "The pricing is much higher than what our clients expect it to be."

What is most valuable?

The solution is already far more advanced than our customers require. It offers advanced scripting and automation pre-testing to support the custom library and custom tasks.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there isn't too much that can be added to improve the service. We already have a pipeline that checks the program for enhancements and we'd be more than happy to see them added in the future.

The pricing is too high. The customer is always asking if there's a way to reduce it.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The pricing is much higher than what our clients expect it to be.

What other advice do I have?

We're a managed service provider, so we handle this solution for our clients.

We're also a Veeam partner.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Head of Infrastructure & System Department at a integrator with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with a straightforward setup but the enterprise edition needs a bit more functionality
  • "The deployment is quite simple. Users are generally happy because of the familiarity they have with the features. The solution offers good transparency for the end-user."
  • "It would be helpful if the enterprise edition was more complete. It's not as complete as the enterprise plus edition is. For instance, in the enterprise version, we can only use one accelerator with the cloud provider. It means if I have my Cloud Connect, I cannot connect another site of mine with another cloud connect and use an accelerator of Veeam. They should change this."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the ability to connect to cloud providers.

The solution is free of charge. It's integrated with Veem Backup replication.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful if the enterprise edition was more complete. It's not as complete as the enterprise plus edition is. For instance, in the enterprise version, we can only use one accelerator with the cloud provider. It means if I have my Cloud Connect, I cannot connect another site of mine with another cloud connect and use an accelerator of Veeam. They should change this.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable. I will say the only weak point is the cloud provider infrastructure. It depends on which cloud provider you're working with, but the product itself is really, really stable. In the past, we had issues. After an investigation we realized that the problem was coming from the cloud provider. Since we changed the cloud provider, everything's going well. That's something people should keep in mind.

Technical support is good. I'd rate it seven out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's very easy to implement. You can pretty much do it in about five clicks and it's ready to go.

What other advice do I have?

I work for a consulting enterprise.

For my needs, the solution offers everything I want. I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Founder at BetaIT
Fast replication and data recovery but the encryption needs to be improved
  • "The most valuable features are the fast replication and recovery of data."
  • "The security of encrypted data could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller. My primary use case is to sell to thousands of users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the fast replication and recovery of data.

What needs improvement?

The security of encrypted data could be better.

Better encryption is needed. The backup solution is related to our data, and they need to encrypt data without utilizing the bandwidth.

We would like to see them minimize the bandwidth between all sides.

I have been using this solution for approximately seven years.

This solution is stable, it’s very good. I would rate it an eight out of ten for stability.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward, so anyone can install it.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Veeam.

I would recommend this solution, but it really does depend on many factors, such as the size of the environment, what their requirements are, and do they have the capabilities to install Veeam

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AmrHafez - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sales Consultant at Beta IT
Good scalability with excellent integration potential
  • "The administration and management integrate with multiple solutions, not just with one or two environments, even if they're not VMware products."
  • "We were interested in investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in VMware. VMware right now is one of the biggest solutions in the world, in terms of the IT environment. But for Cloud Connect it's not. I think they need the cloud version to reach more customers, to enable the cloud version to be used by more people."

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest improvements are in the administration and management of the organization and in its ability to make everything more agile.

What is most valuable?

The administration and management integrate with multiple solutions, not just with one or two environments, even if they're not VMware products. We've found this to be a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We were interested in investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in VMware. VMware right now is one of the biggest solutions in the world, in terms of the IT environment. But for Cloud Connect it's not. I think they need the cloud version to reach more customers, to enable the cloud version to be used by more people.

The solution could use more web optimization and some networking features than what they have currently. If they could work to integrate more with other solutions, such as Cisco API, that would be helpful. Security is very good, but from the networking side of things, I think we need more enhancements.

I've been using the solution for two years.

Stability is good, but in production, if we try to upgrade or patch anything from VMware Cloud, we've faced problems. In some cases, we've had to downgrade some software.

The solution is 100% scalable. We haven't faced any problems extending the solution.

The deployment of the solution is complex.

It's a really complicated implementation, and it would be helpful if there was a management portal to make it easier and to help make everything compatible.

What other advice do I have?

We connect to the public cloud via Amazon, and for the private cloud, we use a cloud-based VMware solution.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Disaster Recovery (DR) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Veeam Software, Zerto, MSP360, and more!
Updated: June 2022