Tyk OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Tyk is the #21 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Tyk an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. Tyk is most commonly compared to Kong Enterprise: Tyk vs Kong Enterprise. Tyk is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2023

What is Tyk?
Tyk is an open source API Gateway that is fast and scalable, an API management platform featuring an API gateway, analytics, developer portal and dashboard. Available in three flavours to best suit your architecture and governance. We offer full cloud or on-premises options, and the best of both worlds with our unique hybrid model. www.tyk.io
Tyk Customers
Trip Advisor, Juniper Networks, AT&T

Tyk Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tyk pricing:
  • "It had a free version, which suited many of our needs, but not all, but we were happy to go ahead with the licensed version as well, which is the paid version."
  • "We are using the open-source version of this product, so there are no licensing costs for its use."
  • Tyk Reviews

CTO and Managing Director at Naks Digital consulting
    Simple to install, has many features, but lacks support for multiple programming languages
    • "You can set up workflows and write limited pieces of logic."
    • "We ran it for a while, but then we decided to move away from Tyk, because Tyk's cloud version, the SaaS version, has a significant limitation of limited flexibility, so you can't program very much."

What is most valuable?

Other than the limitations with the cloud version everything else is fantastic. You can set up workflows and write limited pieces of logic.

We tried hosting it on our own machines, which we thought would solve the problem, but Tyk, despite being pretty good for the features it claims to support, is still in its early stages, and is still maturing. It's still pretty new.

What needs improvement?

If you need anything customized, Tyk's cloud solution isn't for you. On the cloud version allowing customization is something, I'd like to see.

I would like the ability to add custom headers to the request.

I would like to see customizability included. Most API gateways, in my opinion, lack orchestration capabilities. If they can solve that really well, they will be able to quickly rise to the top of the market.

We evaluated Tyk for over a month.

We used the latest version.

We started with the cloud-based version and then moved on to the hosted version.

In terms of stability, we had no issues. In fact, one of our competitors, who also happens to be good friends, has been using Tyk in production for quite some time. It hasn't caused any issues.

API Management
    January 2023
    Find out what your peers are saying about Tyk, Google, WSO2 and others in API Management. Updated: January 2023.
    672,411 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We did not test it for scalability yet because we were only running in-house test workloads at the time, and we would have once we knew that all other conditions were met, but because other conditions were not met, we did not move forward with the scalability. I felt, and through my, research Tyk is found to be reasonably scalable. I have also heard this from people who use it.

We only asked one question, and it was resolved within a reasonable amount of time.

I believe they can improve their support for multiple programming languages.

We had found a solution, and we still have that solution, which required the use of an API gateway. We wanted some programming logic to be programmed at the API gateway level. At the time the college chose API Gateway.

That was something we wanted to do, but unfortunately, we desired greater flexibility in terms of our ability to program and wanted to make the best decision, and we chose Apigee, not Tyk or AWS. Apigee provided the best support for that flexibility.

Apigee requires a massive installation, a very bulky installation, which requires a significant amount of maintenance, overhead, and cost.

The reason we didn't go ahead with the Apigee was that it was becoming very expensive, in terms of license and maintenance costs, as well as setup time.

We tried Tyk, and a  couple of our client's competitors are already using Tyk, and they are using it pretty extensively.

When it did not meet with our needs in terms of being able to customize, we looked into AWS API Gateway, which supports that through AWS Lambda, a serverless function, but it has limitations in terms of certain hardbound limitations, such as an API timeout of a maximum of 30 seconds or 10 seconds. I'm not sure what it is. It was also unsuitable for APIs, particularly external APIs that take far too long to respond. As a result, we did not proceed with any API Gateway. Instead, we made use of AWS AppSync. AppSync resolved two of our issues. One is solved by an API gateway, which allows you to connect to any number of data sources over the internet.

It also allows you to have Lambda functions, which you can customize and use to write any custom logic you want in most modern programming languages. Third, because it provides graph scale endpoints, it helped us save a lot of time on our backend development.

We tried it and found it to be quick and easy to set up. The setup time was really, really quick.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

I run a company with its own team of developers. We were also involved in a joint venture with a client.

It does not require a lot of maintenance.

We were the integrators as well as the owners in this joint venture, no third parties were used.

We are required to pay a licensing fee. There are no additional costs, it was pretty transparent.

To be honest, I don't remember much about the license, but as far as I know, there was nothing alarming.

We compared a few options. We compared Apigee, Tyk, and finally AWS API Gateway. We don't use any of these. We had decided to go ahead with the Tyk, but for some reason, we changed our minds. In addition, we are now utilizing AWS AppSync. It matched our use case better. There are, however, pros and cons of each.

What other advice do I have?

If they are considering an API gateway for a straightforward API gateway case, use case, but if they are considering something more, something that an ESB should support, such as orchestration, transformations, flow management, routing, if those are the capabilities that they are requiring, then it is better to avoid using an API gateway and instead go for a more complex solution, like MuleSoft.

From my experience, I would rate Tyk a six out of ten.

Kamal Doukali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Developer at Eolia Software
    A stable solution that provides a strong developer portal, but lacking in interface documentation functionality
    • "The portal for developers that this solution provides has great functionality."
    • "We would like a better tool for generating documentation for the APIs to be developed."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to measure, and eventually scale our application programming interfaces.

What is most valuable?

The portal for developers that this solution provides has great functionality.

We also like the products design of the UX and the UI, which is easy to understand and manipulate as needed.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this product for nearly four years.

We have found this to be a vary stable solution for use in development.

We believe this to be a scalable product, but we have not yet tested this aspect of the solution.

The technical support for this product have been very good to date They provide a lot of useful communication, which allows us to fix issues without having to raise tickets.

The initial setup of the solution is straightforward, but it does require configuration work before being deployed.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise organizations to start small with the solution, and ensure that the configuration is complete before beginning implementation.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Tyk, Google, WSO2, and more!
    Updated: January 2023