Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

TIBCO BusinessWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO BusinessWorks is #14 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO BusinessWorks an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. TIBCO BusinessWorks is most commonly compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: TIBCO BusinessWorks vs Mule Anypoint Platform. TIBCO BusinessWorks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is TIBCO BusinessWorks?
TIBCO BusinessWorks allows to connect applications, whether on-premises or in the cloud, providing proven reliability and scalability, out-of-the-box. With a drag-and-drop graphical development environment, TIBCO BusinessWorks eliminates the pain and cost of point-to-point application integration, connecting and unifying business processes across applications, data sources, and APIs, with access to real-time data across all your platforms.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Customers

Euler Hermes, QSuper, Scandinavian Airlines

TIBCO BusinessWorks Video

Archived TIBCO BusinessWorks Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior Manager Enterprise Integration and Order Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Ease-of-use and simplified deployment makes projects fluid
  • "The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and ease of deployment."
  • "The container-based image is too large and this makes auto-scaling difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We using TIBCO BusinessWorks 5 and the container edition to work with integrations.

What is most valuable?

It is a cloud product. The most valuable part of the solution is the ease-of-use and deployment.

What needs improvement?

I think TIBCO needs to do a lot in terms of making it a first-class cloud solution. Because the issues that we are facing have to do with the container-based image. It is so big that it makes it very difficult to autoscale.

They need to do a few things. First, they need to make it smaller, and also to make it really a true cloud citizen. Because if you compare with other solutions, TIBCO is playing catch up in terms of cloud adoption.

I just received a new version the other day and they have included quite a lot of changes. It is impossible to tell what they have already taken care of. But I have experienced that there are some security vulnerabilities that they need to fix on the Docker image. I do not have the specific details because we have not totally isolated the problem, but there are some vulnerabilities and those are apparent in the TIBCO container edition.

I have been using TIBCO (The Information Bus Company) Businessworks for the last seven years.

TIBCO BusinessWorks
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about TIBCO BusinessWorks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I think TIBCO is relatively stable. There is not much downtime.

With TIBCO as a platform, scalability should not be an issue because it is cloud-based and should support autoscaling. You run the Docker image on Kubernetes or RedHat, then the BW (BusinessWorks) site is always relatively stable and also very easy to scale. It is scalable both vertically and horizontally.

As far as looking at it as scaling to a larger number of users, TIBCO is really not a GUI where a user will log in and perform tasks. It is middleware, where you use it to expose APIs and from there you have systems connecting to it. So it supports the operations of the entire enterprise. You can not really quantify the number of users because it is just a tool for exposing APIs.

I work with TIBCO technical support almost every week. We often have to raise a ticket. Not in a bad way. Most of the time it is just that we come to a new situation or requirement and it is better and quicker to have them assist us. It is not because of the stability of the solution. It is always a new challenge where we require their technical assistance.

The technical support team is usually very prompt. I think the kind of support we get from TIBCO is unparalleled.

There was a time we did a pilot with Oracle SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture). But in terms of a faster API tool, TIBCO is miles ahead of SOA in terms of functionality and setup. It is also better in terms of ease-of-use. Oracle is too complex. I find it unnecessarily complex and heavy.

I think the setups that I have done were mostly straightforward. They really did not require a lot of back and forth or complicated configurations. But in some scenarios, I have had complicated implementations. These are businesses with complex business requirements and that is when I need to contact the support at TIBCO.

The initial setup normally takes between a week to two weeks. This is for the deployment and then after that, we spend a little time doing some testing. It is really not an outrageous amount of time for deployment at all.

What other advice do I have?

The only caveat I would tell people considering this solution is that there are issues with the container-based image. It needs to be made much smaller. But as a tool to help you work doing what it was made to do, it is a very good product.

On the scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate TIBCO as a nine-out-of-ten. If you see the amount of work that we do with it and the kind of revenue and customer experience because of the value that we get from TIBCO, the high rating is warranted.

Ramesh Shan - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President at Citigroup
Offers many opportunities to do synchronous processing and has good time to market
  • "The most valuable features are the stability and the time to market."
  • "There are not many plugins available to integrate the databases. We have to write it in Java and integrate it. The developers should have more knowledge. These are the three main aspects that they could improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to trigger campaign management related marketing for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stability and the time to market.

What needs improvement?

II have been using Tibco for twelve years.

There hasn't been a single day that we had any problems because of the product stability. It's awesome.

It is not scalable on its own.

We have around 300 to 400 users. They are infrastructure architects, admins, business users, etc.

Their technical support is very good.

The initial setup was very easy. The deployment doesn't take more than five minutes. It required around ten people for the deployment. We have a team of 100+ people for development.

There are no additional costs to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Tibco Businessworks a nine out of ten.

There are a lot of opportunities to do synchronous processing.

In the next release, I would like for there to be more integration with big data ecosystems. There should be more plugins.

TIBCO BusinessWorks
September 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MahmoudAbu-Ghali - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Development Senior Manager at Zain KSA
User-friendly and has good scalability options
  • "It is user friendly, it's not complex."
  • "They don't support out of the box - you have to buy adapters or you have to have the technology."

What is our primary use case?

BusinessWorks is the regional and official software of the company.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, it has transformation, change, and other features.

It is user-friendly, it's not complex.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, for our requirements, it's good enough. Everything that we like to do, we can find it available on the platform.

Features that could be improved are its transformation matrix; the support for other communities. They don't support out of the box - you have to buy adapters or you have to have the technology.

I have been using TIBCO BusinessWorks for five years.

In terms of stability, we don't have any serious issues so far.

I think the scalability of TIBCO BusinessWorks is very good. We have about 90 million messages per day. They intend to increase usage because sometimes during peak hours all the resources are being used.

I'd describe technical support as average. Average to superior, because they are not excellent. Sometimes they take time to read the overall issue. Overall they are great.

The initial setup was not complex. It took around 2 to 3 weeks.

So far there have not been any other costs besides the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be that they don't go with TIBCO 5 but to go with TIBCO 6. TIBCO 6 is richer in terms of integration technology and has more modern architecture.

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd give TIBCO BusinessWorks an 8.

Technical Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution that's extremely reliable, but expensive
  • "The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical issues."
  • "I'd like to see a new cloud approach in the next release. They need to work on integrations, stability and management issues on their cloud platform."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various systems.

What is most valuable?

The reliability is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the main handicaps on version 5 was its development environment. In comparison with other Eclipse-based products, it is not the easiest landing at the first stages of learning. For advanced developers, it results in a simple and direct environment. It also does not facilitate integration with other external tools (release management etc). All these issues are fixed on 6 versions, but we have not migrated at this time.

Pricing is not one of its strengths. Using Tibco BusinessWorks implies adopting a non-trivial set of products (Hawk, Rendez-vous, EMS in most cases), and previous cost models enabled scalability on installation and deployment. I think that current commercial management on the company is betting on promoting a strict model of licensing per product and instance that makes pricing a disadvantage in comparison with other platforms.

Another gap fixed on new releases is cloud approach. We are investing in cloud migration, and currently, all our installation of this product is on-premise. Tibco BW 6 lets you choose on-premise or cloud (Container Edition) deployment. I cannot evaluate it at this time, but this was a gap on the previous version.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical issues.

The solution is scalable. We have 20 or 30 people on the solution and a team that handles deployment and maintenance.

Technical support is good.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing TIBCO.

The initial setup of the solution is easy. Deployment times vary. If you are setting up a straightforward deployment, you can do it in a few hours. If it's more complex, it could take a few months.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

Our investment is justified based on systems maintenance and migration. This product is our business backbone, so it must be flexible, reliable, and expose a low latency. It's not easy to calculate an ROI by itself, but on the whole of deployed projects.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I would rate it eight out of ten. It's very reliable, but it's not fast when it comes to adopting new architecture. It's also slow when it comes to introducing product improvements.

Integration Architect / Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A very scalable solution but there is no support for non-technical users
  • "The solution is very scalable. It can handle a lot. We have encryption plus integration servers running on that platform currently."
  • "Technical support is average. It's not the best."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is contrariwise integration.

What is most valuable?

Support is the most valuable feature of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs integration support.

Currently, it's all very technical and developer-driven. There is no support for a non-technical user to define the integration process. If there was support for integration for them, it would help them define the integration themselves.

More monitoring would also be useful in future releases.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The current version is stable, but now it's got no support for the newest version.

The solution is very scalable. It can handle a lot. We have encryption plus integration servers running on that platform currently.

Technical support is average. It's not the best.

I've personally used a different solution previously. TIBCO was basically a client requirement. I've implemented multiple integration platforms according to the client's requirements and preferences.

Deployment took over a year. We have about four people that handle maintenance.

Users are only charged a yearly maintenance cost. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I know it's quite expensive as a solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice, I would suggest anyone hoping to implement the solution do their market research first. There are other products available which are easy to implement as well. Do your research and then choose the best product according to your needs.

I would rate this solution six out of ten.

Development Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
XML to JSON transformations, out-of-the-box, help to build REST services
  • "Customer support is very efficient."
  • "The OSGI console is available to debug different issues and get low level informations on the applications development, like bundle, dependencies, etc."
  • "BusinessWorks reduces development time, helping developers to focus on business logic."
  • "The Business Studio interface based on SCA Standards helps to show the business logic at first look and improve code maintenance."
  • "A possible improvement could be to give the capability to use different profiles for each AppNode when an application is deployed on an AppSpace."
  • "Improve Business Studio's stability to further minimize development time."

What is our primary use case?

TIBCO BusinessWorks is mainly used to build services based on SOA principles.

It can be used to build synchronous services using SOAP or REST, event-based architecture based on XML over JMS.

REST services based on Swagger Specifications are supported.

How has it helped my organization?

BusinessWorks reduces development time, helping developers to focus on business logic. The Business Studio interface based on SCA Standards helps to show the business logic at first look and improve code maintenance.

Runtime entities management is very simple.

What is most valuable?

Web service development is very simple. It is a service built very quickly, so you can focus on performance and error handling. XML to JSON transformations, out-of-the-box, helps to build REST services.

What needs improvement?

Improve Business Studio's stability to further minimize development time.

No issues.

Runtime entities (like AppNodes) can be added on the fly, and applications on the same AppSpace are automatically deployed on the new AppNode.

Customer support is very efficient.

I have not used other solutions.

It is straightforward.

Not my area of expertise.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work as contractor.
Download our free TIBCO BusinessWorks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022