TIBCO BusinessWorks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO BusinessWorks is the #14 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO BusinessWorks an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. TIBCO BusinessWorks is most commonly compared to Mule Anypoint Platform: TIBCO BusinessWorks vs Mule Anypoint Platform. TIBCO BusinessWorks is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO BusinessWorks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is TIBCO BusinessWorks?
TIBCO BusinessWorks allows to connect applications, whether on-premises or in the cloud, providing proven reliability and scalability, out-of-the-box. With a drag-and-drop graphical development environment, TIBCO BusinessWorks eliminates the pain and cost of point-to-point application integration, connecting and unifying business processes across applications, data sources, and APIs, with access to real-time data across all your platforms.
TIBCO BusinessWorks Customers

Euler Hermes, QSuper, Scandinavian Airlines

TIBCO BusinessWorks Video

TIBCO BusinessWorks Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO BusinessWorks pricing:
  • "I think BusinessWorks is more expensive compared to other products. We have the ELA, so at least we have some sort of bargain or discount with that. But for a start-up, it's very expensive compared to other ESBs."
  • "The solution is too expensive. It's one of the most expensive solutions out there, particularly because there are so many open-source competitors on the market. I don't know the exact numbers, however."
  • "It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different."
  • "I don't have the prices of the products, but I know that TIBCO is not a cheap solution. I think that this solution is more suitable for large companies because I don't think that small- or medium-sized companies would have the money for this solution. WSO2 has the community version for free, so many of the smaller companies can use it. I'm not sure what the prices are for support, though, so I suppose the support for WSO2 is not cheap either."
  • "Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive."
  • "Licensing scheme is too rigid"
  • TIBCO BusinessWorks Reviews

Integration Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Useful features, but needs monitoring and cloud improvements
    • "One of the most valuable features is data transformation. We have some legacy systems which are in old technology, like SOAP, whereas the new ones are in REST. So we use BusinessWorks to transform data from one format to another, from SOAP to REST."
    • "This solution's cloud could be improved. I don't know whether it was because we didn't have the internal expertise or if it was the product itself, but since they came later—I think only two or three years into the cloud—after many other iPaaS that had been in the cloud for longer, I feel that maybe they haven't matured in terms of the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of BusinessWorks is integration, to ensure that our various systems are communicating and integrated. Instead of doing point-to-point integration, we implemented this solution to ensure that system A can talk to system B via BusinessWorks.

We started with on-premise, but have migrated to the cloud version, so we're using the latest update of BusinessWorks. We have a hybrid deployment—some services still run on-premise, but the latest services are running on our private cloud. We have a Kubernetes cluster set up within our VMs.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is data transformation. We have some legacy systems which are in old technology, like SOAP, whereas the new ones are in REST. So we use BusinessWorks to transform data from one format to another, from SOAP to REST. BusinessWorks has many useful features. Every product we have is being used on a day-to-day basis. Some might have been retired, but we're at least using most of the basic BusinessWorks products.

What needs improvement?

This solution's cloud could be improved. I don't know whether it was because we didn't have the internal expertise or if it was the product itself, but since they came later—I think only two or three years into the cloud—after many other iPaaS that had been in the cloud for longer, I feel that maybe they haven't matured in terms of the cloud. Even building cloud images is relatively huge compared to other iPaaS services, but I know it's something that is in progress since there are releases almost every day.

For the on-premise deployment, the memory could be improved. It consumes a lot of memory, so we have to ask our infrastructure team to increase the memory every day. With BusinessWorks, the application or payload can be small, but it still uses a lot of memory. Memory utilization is my biggest worry, so maybe they can optimize on that.

In the next update, I would like to see support around IoT, internet of things, because we are moving toward that now. We are going to have so many devices that need to connect and communicate. Also, maybe they can gather information and improve their monitoring. They have TIBCO Hawk, but it's not as powerful as other monitoring tools that we have, so we use third-party monitoring applications.

I have been using BusinessWorks for around five years now.

TIBCO BusinessWorks
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about TIBCO BusinessWorks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This solution is stable. I don't have any other iPaaS to compare it to, but it performs well. I haven't had any issues with development.

As far as maintenance, it's mostly just HotFix updates they share, maybe to fix a bug or maybe they don't support the latest security protocol, what we call SSL, so they have to fix it. I think they're trying to catch up with other technologies—for example, maybe you upgraded your security level or have secure applications—so they do their hot fixes just to catch up. I'm in development, but the operations team is the one who raises tickets to Safaricom and interacts with TIBCO on a day-to-day basis. They identify bugs and if there's something that needs to be fixed, they fix it on UAT and production.

I'm not sure about scalability. When we test, it's only one or two users who are testing because we don't have the live traffic. Even if we're doing a load test, we don't do load tests on UAT, we do our load test on production. I have to confirm with our operations team because, as a developer, I'm focused more on the functional and maybe load testing. I've never had an issue with load testing, at least.

Our DevOps team has around 35 people.

There's a case that I raised some time back and it took almost two weeks, with them telling me they took it to the engineering team, the engineering team took it back to L2, and I felt like I was being bounced around. There are various product portfolios, so from L2, they take you from portfolio A to portfolio B, portfolio B will take you to the engineering team, the engineering team will just come back to you and tell you it's not a product issue. I don't feel that they're completely competent when it comes to just answering you and providing support.

The initial setup was simple because it's what we call low-code/no-code. I think that as long as you come from a programming background, it's easy to understand and you can easily implement TIBCO BusinessWorks. It's more of a drag-and-drop, and then it generates codes in the background. I'll give credit to TIBCO at least on that front. It's easy for guys to come in and, within a month, they can start implementing without having prior knowledge of TIBCO. So it's easy to learn and start implementation.

When I joined my company, I had a team that was already competent in TIBCO, in terms of development and support, so it was easy to be trained. Initially, I think they were using one of the system integrators to support them, but by the time I joined, we had enough competency within the team to support and develop it.

We implemented through an in-house team.

This solution is more suited for large enterprises. For someone who's just starting up without enough CapEx or OpEx, it's going to be a bit expensive.

We have another ESB, which is called WSO2, that I would recommend because it's very strong. The only factor I would maybe recommend TIBCO on, over WSO2, is the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think I would recommend this solution to others. We have another ESB, which is called WSO2—I would rather recommend this one, since it was very strong. With TIBCO, they don't even have some kind of open source where you can just download and practice, so you have to procure the license in order to get the software. Other ESBs will at least give you the ID so you can do everything, but you have to pay and be locked in before you can start using TIBCO. Maybe it's number two or three, but it's not my top ESB.

I rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten because it works. We have over 200 applications running on TIBCO, so I'll give it a seven.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    RahulPatil1 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Outdated solution that is too expensive and needs a design overhaul to catch up with competitors
    • "Good TIBCO BusinessWorks features are the admin console and the ability to roll back to the previous version."
    • "Scaling with the solution is costly because if we need to scale up, we have to buy more memory. That means more money. Solutions like Camel or Pulsar come with built-in options to scale horizontally, vertically, region-wide or country-wide."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have 500 or more than 1,000 applications of TIBCO BusinessWorks. Our primary use case for the solution is the apps leader operations batch. We have users all across the globe. We have business in Japan, Amsterdam, the US, and Korea, among other countries. Whenever we need to perform region-specific activities when a region is not there – like region-related calculations, for example, we use TIBCO BusinessWorks. Even if a region is around, there will be some midday activities that we need data from different systems. All the backend-related logic and business rules are there in TIBCO BusinessWorks.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The biggest problem with TIBCO BusinessWorks is the licensing costs. It's too expensive. We are planning to migrate from TIBCO BusinessWorks to Camel. On the enterprise side, we will use Kafka and Pulsar.

It's not just the license that is expensive with TIBCO BusinessWorks. Scaling with the solution is costly because if we need to scale up, we have to buy more memory. That means more money. Solutions like Camel or Pulsar come with built-in options to scale horizontally, vertically, region-wide or country-wide.

There are many other issues with TIBCO BusinessWorks, actually. For example, TIBCO BusinessWorks files can only be opened if you have TIBCO Designer. This is again more cost on top of what I mentioned above. Compiling or opening a file should not be an additional cost. If a person does not have TIBCO Designer on their machine and they receive a TIBCO BusinessWorks file, they will not be able to understand the logic or go through the source code. That's the biggest limitation.

TIBCO BusinessWorks mentioned that we can directly inject or connect with Java, but that's not easy. I would say it has many limitations. They will expect us to follow their protocol in injecting Java or any third-party library.

In addition, when we deploy, you have to add a class part. It would be better if we were expected to add a class part only in some cases. This is not user-friendly.

Overall, TIBCO BusinessWorks has not evolved properly over time. So, right now, if you compare it to other solutions that have evolved drastically, TIBCO BusinessWorks will pale in comparison. It's an outdated product.

I would say that they have to change their original design. The market is such these days that a solution needs to be able to handle live calculations and transactions – millions of transactions per second and billions of transactions per hour.

For example, if you have a server in the US and you have business users in Japan. You will have an integration with Japan and so the network IO always plays a very critical role when it comes to millions or billions of transactions. What happens in such cases, with the latest technology and tools available in the market, you can add, put memory, or replicate the server per country or per region. You can't do this with TIBCO BusinessWorks. With TIBCO BusinessWorks you just have an option to deploy everything on one server and then access that server.

TIBCO BusinessWorks also needs to introduce multi-trading. It is definitely not there or if it is, it's expensive.

I have been using TIBCO BusinessWorks for six to seven years now.

TIBCO BusinessWorks is not stable. I have many complex, business-critical applications and we have run into sudden issues related to them in the past. When we traced the log, we found that the issues were not created by changes we implemented in our business logic. They were just random issues. Also, sometimes the memory usage spikes up. We face these issues frequently with TIBCO BusinessWorks.

Scalability with TIBCO BusinessWorks is problematic for us as it is expensive. It is also not possible to scale up TIBCO BusinessWorks drastically. You can scale up to a certain extent by adding memory, but that is way more expensive.

The TIBCO BusinessWorks tech support is not very responsive. It's not that great. The tech support staff is not very knowledgeable. You can get an immediate response if you start an email thread, but the investigation takes time.

Whenever we contact support, I feel like we spend quite a bit of time going in circles. They will ask us for use case data, for example, and when we provide that, they will ask for more information. They should have a fixed template for support in certain domains for us to fill out when we reach out. They could even create a support page for us to investigate before reaching out to them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

When we started six or seven years ago, we could choose between TIBCO BusinessWorks or Office's Shell. The clear choice between the two was TIBCO BusinessWorks as it has more advantages.

But later on, as things improved in the IT world, Apache became a better solution as it is open source. At the same time, it's backed by Java. It has significantly more features compared to TIBCO BusinessWorks and, at the same time, its licensing cost is almost zero because it's open source.

The initial setup was complex. On a scale of one to five, with one being simple and five being complex, I would give the initial setup process a three and a half.

The initial setup was done both in-house and with help from a third party. We hired an expert to onboard us. Then, when we were done with the knowledge transition, we created a team to manage the deployment and everything else. This is another reason why TIBCO BusinessWorks is problematic. You need separate expert teams for configurations, deployment, and everything else. A developer cannot do any of that.

We now have a maintenance team of 10 people for TIBCO BusinessWorks. The solution requires daily maintenance. This is because some of our applications are critical and sensitive and we do not want to run into any disruptions or have any negative impact on the business. We have people monitoring usage daily, 24/7.

The solution is too expensive. It's one of the most expensive solutions out there, particularly because there are so many open-source competitors on the market. I don't know the exact numbers, however.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would give this solution a four for overall performance.

TIBCO BusinessWorks
    November 2022
    654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    GM - Enterprise Application Integration at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Stable and has connectors to many of the legacy systems, but needs better pricing and fixes for stability issues in the latest version
    • "It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors."
    • "Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily. The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is for enterprise application integration. Basically, it does the integration between the applications. If you want to integrate multiple systems, it lets you expose an API. For a business application that is running on, for example, AS/400 or COBOL system, if you want to expose some information pertaining to the system, TIBCO would also play a role there. It will get the information from the latest system and just transform it into a simple format and give it as a response to the operating system. We are currently using versions 5.14 and 6.5.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. It is a market leader, and it has connectors to many of the legacy systems. It also has enterprise cloud connectors.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. For medium enterprises, it is a very expensive tool. In the market, you won't get many resources for this solution. You won't find many developers in the market very easily.

The latest version of TIBCO (6.4 or 6.x) is not very stable. It has got many issues. We have raised this with TIBCO, and they are taking a lot of time to come up with a fix, which is making us move away from this product. Some of the performance-tuning aspects are also missing in version 6. They should provide performance-related fixes, which will be helpful for the customers.

If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The product has evolved, but it is very pricey. That's one of the challenges. They have provided all the features that are there in other products, but this is a platform upgrade. The platform has completely been changed from 5.x to 6.x, and we can't use the same environment. We can't run both versions on the same server as VM. The development environment is entirely different. In version 5.x, there was a proprietary designer. Now, it has common plug-ins developed on top of Eclipse.

I have been using this solution for almost 12 years.

In the latest version, we are frequently facing issues, but version 5.14 was very stable.

Scalability is a challenge. Because we are using on-prem and it is not on the cloud, autoscaling is not happening. Autoscaling is not possible because we need to increase the cores and RAM in our virtual machine and bring the services up.

TIBCO has another version that supports the cloud, but we are not using that particular version because it is very expensive. We have raised some of the questions with them, and we got a quote from the TIBCO team about the cost of the cloud-supported version, but we would also like to evaluate other cloud-supported tools that are available in the market, such as MuleSoft and Fiorano. We would like to compare these tools and see which one is feasible and for which one, people are available for development activities.

We are also using TIBCO Enterprise Messaging Service (EMS).

It is simple. The deployment hardly takes five to eight minutes. but the internal implementation can take time depending on the business scenario. We have around 800 plus APIs as of now.

We have vendors as well as an in-house team.

It requires basic maintenance. If APIs are taking more time, we need to fine-tune that. If they are not responding, we need to look into that. It depends on how it is implemented and deployed in the environment and whether we need to fine-tune the environment. We have a tool called TIBCO Hawk. It is a monitoring tool that gives us some kind of idea about whether the service is up or down. If it is down due to some reason, we can set a rule to autostart.

It is a bit expensive for medium-sized companies. If you are migrating from the current version to the container-supported version, it is quite expensive. The existing licensing will not work because the product platform itself is different.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for big companies. It is a stable product.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a seven out of ten. They should fix the outstanding issues in version 6.

CEO at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Simple to develop, very stable, and easy to scale
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it's a simple development. It takes a short time to get services to work."
    • "TIBCO BusinessWorks could be improved with cloud support."

What is our primary use case?

TIBCO BusinessWorks is used for web services. I have a few processes with collecting data from a database and putting it somewhere.

This solution is deployed on-premise.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

TIBCO BusinessWorks could be improved with cloud support.

I have been using TIBCO for more than 10 years.

This solution is very stable, but I still work with Version 5. I know that it's now Version 6 or higher. With this version, I know that it's very common to have problems with migration components, stability, etc.

This solution is easy to scale. I think it's easier than other solutions that I know, such as WSO2, or Java components, or IBM solutions. From my perspective, this solution is most suitable for large companies.

I have never communicated with TIBCO's technical support directly. I only need to communicate sometimes with the vendor for maintenance.

I also have some experience with WSO2. From my perspective, TIBCO is easier to develop and, with this solution, I can make more specific solutions from a technical perspective. From a user perspective and developer perspective, this tool is more important.

The initial setup process was not simple. It's not simple for a production environment or for a developer station. Usually, the best is working on gear to our machines. It takes a shorter amount of time to set up the environment locally. This solution doesn't really require any maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

I rate TIBCO BusinessWorks a nine out of ten. I would advise those who are considering implementing this solution to maybe contact other companies that use the solution and learn from them—the developers, maintenance team, etc.

Fabio Ferri - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at Catenate
    Excellent technical support, good high availability and load balancing, good stability, and reasonable price
    • "The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool."
    • "The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable. It has a steep learning curve, and it is pretty tough to learn."

What is most valuable?

The high availability, tolerance, and load balancing features are top-notch. Its scalability features are also pretty cool.

What needs improvement?

The Business Studio tool can be improved, which is the tool for designing the processes. Improving the Business Studio tool will make this solution more stable.

I have been using this solution for 20 years.

It is stable and reliable.

Its scalability features are pretty cool. Our clients are enterprise companies.

Their technical support is really excellent.

It has medium complexity. It is not easy, and it is also not complex. It is not a one-day training. At the same time, as a developer, you don't need five years to become an expert.

It is usually deployed on-premise. Since they launched TIBCO Cloud Integration (TCI), cloud deployments are increasing.

Its price policy has changed quite a lot in the last two years. It was extremely expensive previously. Nowadays, you can buy a license for BusinessWorks for €2000. Looking at what you get in return in terms of support, TIBCO community, and stability, it is fairly reasonable. It is not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is good in terms of high availability and scalability, but for every feature, there are some parameters that you need to use to tune the performance. You need some experience to know exactly what to put and where to put it. It is the same thing that you feel with MuleSoft Eco or WSO2 solution. If you want to tune the performance, you need to play around with different parameters and properties. It is a technical tool, and you need a technical person. I would advise others to just play around. You can download the software and play with it. As with every tool, the more you play, the more you learn.

There are some free solutions, such as WSO2, but if you compare it with these solutions, TIBCO has deployed more applications all over the world. BusinessWorks is more reliable, and its price is pretty fair.

I would rate TIBCO BusinessWorks an nine out of ten.

Abhijeet Rakh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Integration Consultant at Billennium
    MSP
    Seamless and sophisticated solution with a straightforward setup
    • "It is a seamless and sophisticated tool."
    • "There are multiple plugins which increase the number of product installations."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to maintain the domains and applications of product-based applications.

What is most valuable?

It is a seamless and sophisticated tool. We can operate everything and scale up and down the instances. It is also very user-friendly, and the experience is good.

What needs improvement?

In TIBCO BusinessWorks, the problem is that there are multiple plugins that increase the number of product installations. For example, there is a different plugin for files and mail and different specifications, features, and integrations to install. However, comparing TIBCO BusinessWorks to other products, others don't require multiple installations. Therefore, I recommend minimizing the number of product installations and hard features.

We have been using this solution for three years. It is an on-premises solution.

TIBCO BusinessWorks is a very stable solution.

TIBCO BusinessWorks is scalable to a limit that depends on the licensing. I don't know the number of cases we can scale up or down, but all customers have categorized licensing if they have gold or silver.

We also have about 100 to 150 users using this solution, and we need approximately a minimum of 20 staff to maintain this solution. Our support team is separate from our deployment team, and we have about 30 to 40 support staff.

The technical support for TIBCO BusinessWorks is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward. There is no direct installation with TIBCO Cloud Integration because it is on the cloud. In the backend, Amazon Web Services is easy to use, and it takes about ten to 15 minutes to install TIBCO Business Works.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine of ten.

Head of IT Integration & Finance Transformation at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Completely reliable with good performance and stability
    • "Good performance and reliability."
    • "Could be more user friendly in the development area."

What is our primary use case?

This product is useful for all aspects of corporate integration. Our front-end channel does not have B2B connections to the legacy systems; it's all done by TIBCO which presents services that do the communication between the different applications of our architecture enabling direct links to the different applications.

What is most valuable?

Performance and the stability are both good features. We are a bank and it's very important to be able to keep track of things. Reliability is key and that's what TIBCO provides.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more user-friendly solution in terms of the development area.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We've had good experience with technical support.

I recall that the initial implementation was done by TIBCO and I imagine that it took no more than a couple of weeks. We tend to refer to TIBCO consultancy when necessary. We have around 40 users in the organization and maintenance is handled by a team of four engineers.

Our license is paid annually.

We initially had a homemade development of an enterprise bus, and we carried out an RFP at the time, but TIBCO was the winner due to its reliability, mainly in financial markets.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Obreten Obretenov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Product Manager at Emirates
    Adapters have extensive capabilities
    • "Areas for improvement would be the cloud fitness of the product and the ease of migrating to newer versions."
    • "Cloud fitness is lacking"

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the extensive capabilities of adapters and the capabilities in the development environment.

What needs improvement?

Areas for improvement would be the cloud fitness of the product and the ease of migrating to newer versions. Its price could also be lower, and its licensing model would benefit from changing to pay-as-you-go to better fit the use of cloud services.

I've been working with this product for over ten years.

This product is pretty stable.

BusinessWorks is scalable, but I feel limited by the license.

The support team is good, they're really experienced.

The setup isn't very complex, but it does require some expertise.

The licensing is very rigid - it's perpetual licensing, which doesn't really support good scalability.

What other advice do I have?

TIBCO can be really difficult to talk to commercially - they usually don't show much flexibility. I would give this product a rating of eight out of ten.

Download our free TIBCO BusinessWorks Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022