IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is #8 ranked solution in top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus an average rating of 8 out of 10. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is most commonly compared to Mule ESB: TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus vs Mule ESB. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus?
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a platform for developing, deploying, and managing applications that conform to a service-oriented architecture. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is a lightweight enterprise service bus that helps organizations bridge the mediation gap in their SOA infrastructure. It reduces complexity and increases flexibility and reuse by replacing hard-coded service dependencies with configuration, and can be used to onboard services from a third-party environment or a TIBCO-based infrastructure. TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus provides service mediation capabilities to the TIBCO ActiveMatrix SOA platform. Service mediation allows you to adapt to changing requirements for developing mediation flows.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus was previously known as ActiveMatrix Service Bus.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide

Download the TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Customers
Colonial Life, CTBC Bank, New World Mobility, QUALCOMM, Swisscom Mobile, T-Mobile USA, Tata Teleservices, Telecom Italia
TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Video

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Pricing Advice

What users are saying about TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus pricing:
  • "The biggest issue disadvantage of TIBCO is that it is expensive."
  • "The price is on the higher side. For the same price, if I go to the previous version, I would have got a lot more capacity with similar kinds of features."
  • "Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs."
  • TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus Reviews

Integration Lead at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to learn and easy to deploy, but the support and and the pricing need improvement
    • "The technology is really easy to learn."
    • "Issues with the support, the fees, and the termination of the professional services are reasons we are looking for other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to integrate the various systems that we have. For example, from CRM to ERP, or from ERP to CRM, or to our billing system, or from CRM to our payment gateway.

We integrate the different applications, both northbound and southbound. If CRM wants to connect to a billing system, they don't go directly to the billing system, they come through ESB. If the CRM wants to connect to ERP, they don't go to directly ERP, they come via ESB.

ESB is like the central path that connects the various systems, both northbound and southbound.

What is most valuable?

The technology is really easy to learn. They use low code/no-code technology, which does not have a steep learning curve.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the cloud, I don't feel that TIBCO is mature enough. The cloud version was only released two years ago.

Sometimes there are issues with the loads. If the load is too high or if you have high traffic, you will experience some issues with the throughput.

They need improvements with the cloud version and the handling of the traffic.

Initially, we had the professional services with the TIBCO because we are in Africa, but unfortunately, they terminated it because they sold their business in Africa to another service integrator who didn't really understand the product. This service integrator was not as experienced using TIBCO, or maybe just assisting us with the TIBCO issues that we were having.

I joined the company six years ago but have been using TIBCO for approximately eight years.

We have been working with TIBCO for more than five years and know how to work our way around it. We are comfortable working with it, apart from the throughput or if the traffic is high.

We are sure to find a few problems, but at least for right now, because we have been working with it for a long time, and now we know how to navigate our way around the issues that we get, it is stable enough.

The on-premises version is not as scalable. It is not the best, it needs improvement. We are experimenting with the cloud version right now.

It's a development tool. We have approximately 40 developers who use this solution.

We have had one or two issues with technical support. There seemed to be an issue with a ticket that we raised because it took almost four weeks to get it resolved.

Maybe the person who was supporting us didn't really understand the product or they didn't know what they were doing.

There have been a few scenarios where the support has been pathetic.

We have several TIBCO products including ESB, BPM (Business Process Management), and Spotfire for reporting.

My role is in integration and I typically use ESB.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy.

The deployment is not complicated. It is very simple to deploy.

The biggest issue disadvantage of TIBCO is that it is expensive.

It's just too costly.

We are looking for alternatives. We are looking to get away from TIBCO and looking for other integration tools.

There may be some services with TIBCO that we will continue to use, but any integrations going forward will be with another solution.

We are researching WSO2, Red Hat Fuse, and any other Mule software, or any other integration tools that can be used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus a seven out of ten.

Ram_S - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Delivery Manager at Wipro Limited
    Robust, reliable, and easy to expand
    • "It's very stable and reliable."
    • "We'd like to see improvements in product support."

What is our primary use case?

Specifically, we have it in multiple regions for clients using ActiveMatrix (AMX). We are supporting them across multiple regions in the Asia Pacific and North America, including Mexico.

What is most valuable?

It's great for large clients, where it is largely being used. The BW and AMX are great.

The solution is robust. It's very stable and reliable.

It's definitely scalable.

What needs improvement?

I haven't actually gone through the latest version's features. I will not be able to comment on those as we don't use the latest. Many things that may be lacking may have already been taken care of specifically.

We don't need any specific improvements. The only thing is from a support point of view. We'd like to see improvements in product support. Whenever there is some kind of challenge or whenever there is a client issue, when we want to report it and offer some proactive solutions, we don't get proper assistance or support.

I've used the solution for quite some time.

The stability is great. It's robust and the performance is good. I don't see, for example, any drops in service, The reliability and availability are almost 99%. Stability is not an issue.

The scalability of the product is great.

The main challenge we have is support not being supportive enough. When we have issues, we'd really like them to be more helpful.

We are working specifically on a TIBCO exit strategy whereas we are actually trying to replace TIBCO iProcess and AMX with Red Hat products specifically. I used to attend all the Red Hat webinars, specifically any materials around which patterns were being used and what kind of challenges the teams faced. For that purpose, I'm just looking at those reports.

The initial setup is not that straightforward and it's not that complex as well. In my view, it is moderate. Once you actually get some training around it, you should be able to configure the setup and with proper training, it would not be an issue.

The amount of people needed to maintain and deploy it depends on the implementation. You need some administrators to support it. Not everyone will have elevated access. It requires multiple levels of people that run at a normal support level. Some likely need elevated access to actually look at the logs as well as the admin consoles.

I'm not sure of the exact licensing costs.

We do have an enterprise license, however, we do occasionally need to pay for some additional features.

What other advice do I have?

We're consulting and implementing this solution.

We are using an older version. It is around the version 4.4 series. It's not even updated up to a version 5.

I understand there are a lot of new versions which have come up and can be implemented and deployed - and in the cloud as well. We can't look at them in the same way, as what we are actually supporting is somewhat older in terms of applications. These are not cloud-ready. That said, companies that have applications that are cloud-ready can actually go for the cloud-ready options and for early versions of AMX.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus
    April 2022
    Learn what your peers think about TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
    597,415 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Mir Abul Ula Ali Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Middleware and Enterprise Integration Head at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Build and easily deploy APIs within a few hours
    • "The most attractive and beneficial feature is the ease of development."
    • "The stability of their latest version is not on par with their classic version 5.X."

What is our primary use case?

I started with IntegrationManager, and I've seen TIBCO ESB grow from nothing to one of the top leaders in the ESB industry. I head the whole ESB team, the pool of developers, production, support team, enhancement whole all use TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus.

What is most valuable?

The most attractive and beneficial feature is the ease of development. They have an excellent GUI that helps developers build any APIs in a few hours. No matter how complex they are, but they can be done in a few clicks. It saves a lot of time and increases the productivity and efficiency of the whole development process.

What needs improvement?

When I compare the new version 6.X with the classic 5.X, they are not giving the same kind of look and feel or the ease of use which we are used to. They are improving the DevOps and other new things we have now, but they still have to improve and mature.

When someone is planning to move away from their version 5.X to the latest one, they will have both options. Either upgrade to the latest version of TIBCO or go towards some other vendor. That's where they are not giving any competitive advantage or anything with the latest versions.

I think they need to improve. They need to really show the consumers what they'll get if they upgrade to the latest version.

I have been using TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus for almost 15 years.

The stability of their latest version is not on par with their classic version 5.X. Their latest version 6.X needs to be more stable.

They set the standards for themselves with their previous versions, but now I see the quality of the whole product has gone down a little bit.

Fault tolerance, scalability, and durability have been maintained.

Their support teams aren't that great for the latest version.

The quality is good, but the price is on the higher side. The previous version and their pricing models were much more cost-effective. But maybe from their point of view, they have made changes. They have brought in containers and all the latest DevOps stuff, which is not very pocket friendly for their consumers.

For the same price, if I go for the previous version, I would have got a lot more capacity with similar features, but now they have changed their whole design.

I've been doing this kind of POCs and evaluating different ESB software from different vendors, including MuleSoft, WSO2, or IBM. I have to say honestly, TIBCO is still the best when comparing the features of all these things.

What other advice do I have?

ESB is the middle component that connects to multiple systems. ESB works hand-in-hand with the API gateway, with your data leak projects, or with your streaming. If your requirement is purely from an ESB perspective, I think TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus is still the market leader, and you can go with them.

I would giveTIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus an eight out of ten.

Prasanna Badam - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easy to develop and has a wide range of features and high performance, but needs better pricing and better stability for our version
    • "It is easy to develop. It has a very wide range of features. The older versions are very stable, and there are no issues with the product."
    • "The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. These stability issues should be resolved, but it seems like TIBCO is not focusing on resolving these issues. The resolution timelines are quite high even for high-priority incidents. Its price should be lower. Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for integrating our enterprise applications and core systems with the front-end systems.

The version that we are using is neither the latest one nor the oldest one. It can be deployed on the cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to develop. It has a very wide range of features.

The older versions are very stable, and there are no issues with the product.

What needs improvement?

The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. These stability issues should be resolved, but it seems like TIBCO is not focusing on resolving these issues. The resolution timelines are quite high even for high-priority incidents.

Its price should be lower. Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years. In our organization, we have been using it for more than 15 years.

The intermediate version that we are using has stability issues. Its older versions are very stable. I have not used its latest Container Edition, which probably is also stable.

It is scalable. This is a back-end product, and almost all front-end applications are using this solution.

Their support is excellent, but currently, their resolution timelines are quite high for stability-related issues that we are facing.

Its installation is straightforward. It takes around two hours in our lower environment where we don't have high availability. It takes around half a day in our production environment where we have high availability.

We installed it ourselves. You just need basic computer knowledge to be able to deploy it. For development, you need some skilled people, but deployment is quite easy. We have a team of 15 people for deployment and maintenance.

Its licensing cost is considerably high as compared to other ESBs.

We will have to migrate to Container Edition, which is the latest version, but it is not an easy migration. It is almost like redeveloping, and it requires specific changes. Our strategy team is exploring other ESBs. We will be deciding this within a month because we need to pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution, but it also depends on a specific use case. If you can afford it and you are looking for a high-standard and high-performing solution for your use case with excellent support, you should go for it.

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix Service Bus a seven out of ten.

Technical Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    A service-oriented platform that is both stable and scalable
    • "The most valuable feature is that it is a service-oriented architecture, SOA-based."
    • "Our version does not have cloud capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

There are a number of applications including use cases from the health industry, including health human services.

How has it helped my organization?

We're making good use of it, although our version is an outdated platform that needs to be replaced in order to be ready for the future. For example, we will be moving applications to micro-services and migrating components to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Our version does not have cloud capabilities.

Containerization is not supported.

The is no support for Agile development.

We have been using this product for 12 years.

This product is very stable.

Scalability is fine, although our current version is just not able to move us to the future.

I was not part of the original implementation, although I'm sure that it was complex.

We have been working with this version of TIBCO for at least the past 12 years. We are now looking at replacing it with either a new version or a new solution from a different vendor.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good platform but in our case, it needs to be updated. The future is on the cloud, the future is containerized, the future is Agile development, and our version is incapable of any of this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.