We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Teradata OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Teradata is #4 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools and #6 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give Teradata an average rating of 8 out of 10. Teradata is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata: Teradata vs Oracle Exadata. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Teradata?

Teradata's portfolio of big data analytic solutions, integrated marketing applications, and services help organizations gain a sustainable competitive advantage with data.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Teradata Customers
Netflix
Teradata Video

Teradata Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Teradata pricing:
  • "The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business."
  • "Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product."
  • "The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive."
  • "The solution requires a license."
  • Teradata Reviews

Khurram Afzaal
    Solution Sales and Lead Information at TechAccess Asia Distribution
    Good performance, flexible, easy to tune queries, and scales well
    • "The flexibility in design is very good."
    • "Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve."

What is our primary use case?

My current use case is an analytical system for an oil and gas company. They have a data lake and they are getting their data from different IoTs and different SAP systems. They wanted to have some feedback about their system and check on their production.

The IoT center's data was actually our use case, then how we can use that data to prevent disaster from happening. Previously, this work was all done manually. If there is a leak in the pipes then it is a large area to search because there are hundreds of kilometers that have been run.

To tackle this problem, they use IoT sensor data. It helps them to understand how the flow is working at a specific point in time, what happens when they're drilling the oil and other types of data. To complete the analysis, we use an analytical system or a Teradata Azure system that we designed.

The ECL was designed in a manner where we were doing the transformation on Hadoop. It is more like a balanced system where you use Hadoop for what it is good for, and where you use Teradata for its purpose.

I have worked in several different environments. The largest Teradata implementation on Azure was done by me. Right now, I'm working with AWS but previously, I have implemented both on-premises and hybrid deployments.

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise, Teradata beats everything.

The flexibility in design is very good.

When you want to tune it, it is very easy to do. I have worked a lot as a DB and I know that when there is a query that is stuck for hours, and you want to tune it, the task is quite easy. You can use the indexes and architecture, and exploit the power of Teradata.

What needs improvement?

There are lots of improvements that Teradata is working on and many that have already been done. However, recently I was in a session with people who are working on the data sciences side of the business. The data science group is not using the Teradata modeling features. Rather, they are using third-party tools for the prediction and forecasting models that they are building. Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve.

In my experience with Teradata, I have seen their sales strategy and that needs to change. As an organization marketing a product, they need to be cloud-focused instead of the on-premises thinking that they currently have.

There are a few things where you are totally dependent on the customer service and support from Teradata. This is an area where they really need to improve a bit, especially when you're talking about cloud service integration. Depending on the environment you may need to contact the AWS team, or the Azure team, or the GCP team, or the Teradata team. In all of these environments, improvements need to be made.

I have been working with Teradata for more than a decade, probably close to 11 years. I have been in the industry for approximately 18 years.

We are satisfied with the stability.

It is quite easy to scale. For a cloud-based deployment, it's even simpler now.

Previously, it was easy if we just wanted to add power but there was an impediment when you had to add a node. Similarly, it was difficult when you had to shift to the newer nodes. Now, however, with the cloud, it's easy to do.

For the on-premises deployment, a lot of people consider the initial setup to be difficult. Keep in mind, however, that Teradata is a million-dollar product, so they set it up for you.

For a cloud-based deployment, it is now pretty simple to deploy.

The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business. The price should be reduced to make it more competitive.

One of my clients recently tried to switch solutions but they have rolled back to Teradata. The same thing happened with another company that I know of in Pakistan, where they tried working with an IBM product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is that they really need to hire the right people. Get people who actually have worked on Teradata to guide them.

You can buy Teradata and you can get it up and running, but until you hire a few good people, you are not going to get the full benefits from it. These people are not resources that you would ask Teradata to provide you. Rather, you can hire them from the market.

The important part is that you need to have people who have good experience with Teradata because they can truly exploit its power for you.

Overall, this is a good product. It is close to the best but I cannot rate it perfectly because of the price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Data Architect, Section Head at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Good data warehousing, scalable, and offers good functionality
    • "The functionality of the solution is excellent."
    • "I'm not sure about the unstructured data management capabilities. It could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The loading time of the solution is quite good.

What really impressed me is their approach to design the data warehouse. It's very different from other solutions. They have their own methodologies for doing things, and they can come up with a very solid and good design that can stand the test of time.

The functionality of the solution is excellent.

The solution can scale.

It's quite a stable product.

On the product side, I don't think anyone can actually beat them with data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

They should, I think, try to do more of this open-source initiative to encourage more people to use it. Otherwise, it's my opinion that they might lose our business in the long run.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

As one of the top companies in the world, the solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good.

Product-wise the scalability and usability, is all excellent. They are the top players in this with their new database. The cloud helps make it so scalable. We're catching up and starting to scale, however, we aren't there yet.

I don't recall if the solution had a complex or straightforward setup. I wasn't part of the process.

I'm not sure if we would want to keep paying for the solution. They should make some of the software a community edition or something like that to encourage more people to use it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution.

After looking at the recent price drops, they need to offer very good discounts for people that bought it. The value proposition is actually quite good compared to many years ago. For most of the enterprises out there, they're focusing mainly on structure data. This solution ticks that box.

As long as they can control the price incrementally in the future, I think they're a very good strong platform.

I'd rate this product in terms of its functionality, stability, and scalability, as almost perfect. It's a nine out of ten. I don't think there's anything to complain about. It's only the price that's a sticking point for us.

Find out what your peers are saying about Teradata, Oracle, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: January 2022.
    564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    It has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running
    • "Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running."
    • "Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata is primarily for data warehousing at large customers, like banks, retailers, and government organizations. However, we don't use Teradata for Russian government organizations because it's a US tool, and the Russian government doesn't allow foreign software.

What is most valuable?

Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running.

What needs improvement?

Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle.

They should diversify their sales channels and develop more resellers. Teradata could also be more active in marketing because I rarely see any Teradata events in Russia. They've always had several regional conferences for Teradata users, but I hardly ever see marketing events geared toward new customers.

I've been working with Teradata for 11 years.

One of Teradata's biggest advantages is that it's fully scalable

We usually don't have any problems with Teradata itself. However, sometimes customers have issues with applications they've written themselves that aren't adequately designed to fully utilize Teradata's capabilities.

I would not say the setup is too complex. Teradata has a direct sales model, so Teradata employees usually set it up with help from the customer because they don't support a big system of resellers or partners. It's pretty easy because they are actively involved in the deployment. But later on, when the customer is expanding the solution and doing many things themselves, they make mistakes, which should be corrected using the support resources of Teradata.

Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata eight out of 10. Customers need a certain amount of knowledge to correctly use Teradata when running their applications on the platform. They should also keep in mind the requirements for Teradata's features.

Nelson Vargas
    Business Intelligence Project Leader / Key Account Director at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    A great solution for business analytics, cloud products, and consulting
    • "It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up."
    • "It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data."

What is our primary use case?

We resell Teradata, but not in the cloud.

Currently, our experience with Teradata in the cloud is theoretical as we haven't started selling it to our customers yet; however, a few of our customers are interested in migrating to a cloud-based solution.

Our clients use Teradata to consolidate corporate data to provide reports. These reports are required every day — it's more like described analytics.

What is most valuable?

Our customers are very happy with the configuration. It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up.

What needs improvement?

It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data. In other words, there should be a process that makes advanced analytics easier.

The integration capabilities could be improved.

They should improve their marketing to make it easier to sell to customers.

I have been using Teradata for roughly five years.

Stability-wise, I don't recall any of our customers having a problem with Teradata. They have never mentioned any issues relating to bugs or glitches.

There are a few options that are very interesting related to the cloud. You can go into the same environment and add more nodes throughout it. As I mentioned, we don't have much experience with Teradata on the cloud, but I think it's the way of the future.

Their technical support is great. On a scale from one to ten, I would give them a rating of ten.

The initial setup is very easy.

Deployment takes a couple of weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Teradata to other interested companies. It's really easy to use thanks to the simple configuration.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Teradata a rating of ten.

HakimMoussaoui
    Big data administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Fast response times, easy to use, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use Teradata in our data warehouse and we extract data. We have a data department that uses many tools for data extractions.

What is most valuable?

Teradata has good performance, the response times are very fast. Overall the solution is easy to use. When we do the transformation, we have all of our staging and aggregation data available.

What needs improvement?

Teradata could improve by providing better training. For example, Oracle provides good overall training. It is not easy to find information on the internet.

I have been using Teradata for approximately eight years.

The solution is stable. However, there are times when we are using large…

What needs improvement?

I have been using Teradata for approximately eight years.

The solution is stable. However, there are times when we are using large amounts of data and we can see some latency issues.

Teradata is scalable. We have two large servers and if we need to add new servers it can be done. Additionally, adding hard drive space or more performance is not a problem.

We have approximately 15 users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support is good but they could improve because sometimes they can take two weeks to resolve issues.

The implementation took approximately one month.

We did the implementation of Teradata using their support.

The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Teradata a nine out of ten.

Sr Lead Data & Information Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Easy to design and performs well, but needs to be more scalable and flexible
    • "I like this solution's ease of design and the fact that its performance is quite good. It is stable as well."
    • "The scalability could be better. The on-premises solution is always more complicated to scale."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

I like this solution's ease of design and the fact that its performance is quite good. It is stable as well.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could be better. The on-premises solution is always more complicated to scale.

The flexibility could be improved. The product is good if you know what you're planning to do. If you're designing as well, upfront, then it's fine. However, if you've made a mistake in the design work or your system, then it could be quite complex and expensive, and it may not preform well.

I've been using Teradata for around four years.

Teradata is a stable solution.

I've worked on the on-premises solution, and it is always more complicated to scale. We currently have hundreds of users.

We used Oracle Database before Teradata.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata is quite a specific tool, so if you have suitable use cases, then I would recommend it. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this tool at seven.

Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
    Performs well, handles high data queries, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to check and validated our data.

What is most valuable?

The performance is great, we are able to query our data in one operation.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with many different types of data.

I have been using the solution for one month.

I have found the solution to be stable.

We have four users using the solution in my organization and we plan on increasing our usage.

The solution requires a license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to…

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to check and validated our data.

What is most valuable?

The performance is great, we are able to query our data in one operation.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with many different types of data.

I have been using the solution for one month.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The solution requires a license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Teradata an eight out of ten.