IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Teradata OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Teradata is #3 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools and #4 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give Teradata an average rating of 8 out of 10. Teradata is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata: Teradata vs Oracle Exadata. Teradata is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 76% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
Teradata Buyer's Guide

Download the Teradata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Teradata?

Teradata's portfolio of big data analytic solutions, integrated marketing applications, and services help organizations gain a sustainable competitive advantage with data.

Teradata Customers
Netflix
Teradata Video

Teradata Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Teradata pricing:
  • "The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business."
  • "Teradata pricing is fine, and it's competitive with all the legacy models. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm giving Teradata a three, because it can be a little expensive, when compared to other solutions."
  • "The price of Teradata is expensive. However, what they deliver they are outstanding. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution to run a database, this isn't your tool. It's the Ferrari of databases for data warehousing."
  • "Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product."
  • "The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive."
  • Teradata Reviews

Khurram Afzaal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Sales and Lead Information at TechAccess Asia Distribution
    Good performance, flexible, easy to tune queries, and scales well
    • "The flexibility in design is very good."
    • "Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve."

What is our primary use case?

My current use case is an analytical system for an oil and gas company. They have a data lake and they are getting their data from different IoTs and different SAP systems. They wanted to have some feedback about their system and check on their production. The IoT center's data was actually our use case, then how we can use that data to prevent disaster from happening. Previously, this work was all done manually. If there is a leak in the pipes then it is a large area to search because there are hundreds of kilometers that have been run. To tackle this problem, they use IoT sensor data. It helps them to understand how the flow is working at a specific point in time, what happens when they're drilling the oil and other types of data. To complete the analysis, we use an analytical system or a Teradata Azure system that we designed. The ECL was designed in a manner where we were doing the transformation on Hadoop. It is more like a balanced system where you use Hadoop for what it is good for, and where you use Teradata for its purpose. I have worked in several different environments. The largest Teradata implementation on Azure was done by me. Right now, I'm working with AWS but previously, I have implemented both on-premises and hybrid deployments.

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise, Teradata beats everything. The flexibility in design is very good. When you want to tune it, it is very easy to do. I have worked a lot as a DB and I know that when there is a query that is stuck for hours, and you want to tune it, the task is quite easy. You can use the indexes and architecture, and exploit the power of Teradata.

What needs improvement?

There are lots of improvements that Teradata is working on and many that have already been done. However, recently I was in a session with people who are working on the data sciences side of the business. The data science group is not using the Teradata modeling features. Rather, they are using third-party tools for the prediction and forecasting models that they are building. Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve. In my experience with Teradata, I have seen their sales strategy and that needs to change. As an organization marketing a product, they need to be cloud-focused instead of the on-premises thinking that they currently have. There are a few things where you are totally dependent on the customer service and support from Teradata. This is an area where they really need to improve a bit, especially when you're talking about cloud service integration. Depending on the environment you may need to contact the AWS team, or the Azure team, or the GCP team, or the Teradata team. In all of these environments, improvements need to be made.

I have been working with Teradata for more than a decade, probably close to 11 years. I have been in the industry for approximately 18 years.
    Teradata
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Teradata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We are satisfied with the stability.

It is quite easy to scale. For a cloud-based deployment, it's even simpler now. Previously, it was easy if we just wanted to add power but there was an impediment when you had to add a node. Similarly, it was difficult when you had to shift to the newer nodes. Now, however, with the cloud, it's easy to do.

For the on-premises deployment, a lot of people consider the initial setup to be difficult. Keep in mind, however, that Teradata is a million-dollar product, so they set it up for you. For a cloud-based deployment, it is now pretty simple to deploy.

The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business. The price should be reduced to make it more competitive.

One of my clients recently tried to switch solutions but they have rolled back to Teradata. The same thing happened with another company that I know of in Pakistan, where they tried working with an IBM product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is that they really need to hire the right people. Get people who actually have worked on Teradata to guide them. You can buy Teradata and you can get it up and running, but until you hire a few good people, you are not going to get the full benefits from it. These people are not resources that you would ask Teradata to provide you. Rather, you can hire them from the market. The important part is that you need to have people who have good experience with Teradata because they can truly exploit its power for you. Overall, this is a good product. It is close to the best but I cannot rate it perfectly because of the price. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    MedhaValvekar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Manager at Cognizant
    Uses parallelism, provides lower TCO, and has optimizer, loading, and unloading features
    • "There are several features of Teradata that I like. One of the most basic is the indexes. I also like that it provides lower TCO. It also has the optimizer feature which is a good feature and isn't found in other legacy systems. Parallelism is also another feature I like in Teradata because when you are running or hosting on multiple systems, you have this shared-nothing architecture that helps. Loading and unloading in Teradata are also really helpful compared to other systems."
    • "Since I was working on the very basic, legacy systems, the memory thing was always a challenge. If Teradata is moving to the cloud, the space constraint or the memory issue that my company generally faces will eventually resolve, in time. What I'd like to see in the next release of Teradata is that it becomes full-fledged on the cloud, apart from better connectivity to various systems. For example, if I have to read or include a Python script, if I write some basic codes, I should be able to read even unstructured data. I know that it's not supported even in Snowflake, but at least semi-structured data support, if that can be a little more enhanced, that would be good."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata was mostly a control system for us where we were fetching the data from it on basic time intervals, on various DVs and various schema where we had to fetch the data. Reading was the main operation that we used Teradata for, but while reading, there were complex ENTs that we had to write because of a few data that was supposed to be transformed and then fetched, so that was the major use case for the solution.

What is most valuable?

There are several features of Teradata that I like. One of the most basic is the indexes. I also like that it provides lower TCO. It also has the optimizer feature which is a good feature and isn't found in other legacy systems. Parallelism is also another feature I like in Teradata because when you are running or hosting on multiple systems, you have this shared-nothing architecture that helps. Loading and unloading in Teradata are also really helpful compared to other systems.

What needs improvement?

Teradata is good, but eventually, my company is moving to a higher-level system. You wouldn't want to work on a lower-level system.

As for the areas for improvement in Teradata, since I was working on the very basic, legacy systems, the memory thing was always a challenge. If Teradata is moving to the cloud, the space constraint or the memory issue that my company generally faces will eventually resolve, in time.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Teradata is that it becomes full-fledged on the cloud, apart from better connectivity to various systems. For example, if I have to read or include a Python script, if I write some basic codes, I should be able to read even unstructured data. I know that it's not supported even in Snowflake, but at least semi-structured data support, if that can be a little more enhanced, that would be good.

I've been using Teradata for a year and a half now, and I'm using its latest version.

In terms of stability, Teradata is stable. All legacy systems are quite stable and do not have that much downtime, probably because no one would work with a system that is not stable.

Teradata is scalable, but it takes time because you have to increase the servers. On the legacy system, it's the physical servers that you increase and that takes time.

I don't have experience with Teradata technical support, because the client handles the maintenance. It's the client who reaches out to the technical support team in case there's a need to increase service on the Teradata system, or if there's any downtime or any glitches in terms of catching or loading the data, but that doesn't happen often.

Setting up Teradata took time. The server has to be set up and that takes time. Next, the IDs need to be set up and the role level security that the legacy system provides is definitely not up to the mark when compared to the cloud, so that is a concern. I'm talking truly about the legacy system. I haven't worked on the cloud part of it. It took more time to deploy Teradata.

Deploying the solution from dev to the QA environment, for example, creating tables, then copying over the data, are completed within twenty four to forty eight hours. It's the timeframe the DBA used to give, which is pretty high. With the closing features that we have normally, that would be a long time.

Implementation was taken care of by the client.

Teradata pricing is fine, and it's competitive with all the legacy models. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm giving Teradata a three, because it can be a little expensive, when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata requires maintenance, but the team in charge of the maintenance was not in-house. It was taken care of by an external support team. There are forty to fifty users of the solution in the company. I'm use Teradata on a daily basis.

I'm rating Teradata an eight out of ten.

Teradata
    June 2022
    610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Blaine VandeBerg - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal at Insight Data Consulting
    Excellent native features, highly stable, and impressive automation
    • "The most valuable features of Teradata are that it is a massively parallel platform and I can receive a lot of data and get the queries out correctly, especially if it's been appropriately designed. The native features make it very suitable for multiple large data tasks in a structured data environment. Additionally, the automation is very good."
    • "I've been using the same UI for 20 years in Teradata. It could use some updating. Adding more stability around Teradata Studio would be outstanding. Teradata Studio is a Java-based version of their tool. It's much better now, but it still has some room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata is used for many use cases, such as clickstream, website support, and manufacturing control.

How has it helped my organization?

Teradata has helped our organization accelerate substantially the decision-making that happens.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I've been using the same UI for 20 years in Teradata. It could use some updating. Adding more stability around Teradata Studio would be outstanding. Teradata Studio is a Java-based version of their tool. It's much better now, but it still has some room for improvement.

I have been using Teradata for approximately 20 years.

The stability of Teradata is outstanding.

Teradata is highly scalable, it is excellent.

We have approximately hundreds of users using this solution.

I have not used support recently, but I have previously.

I previously used SQL Server.

The initial setup of Teradata is complex. The business layers on top of Teradata add to the complexity. The way the business uses Teradata adds to the complexity that the software itself doesn't necessarily have.

You can do an upgrade for Teradata in a couple of days. Deploying it is not difficult at all, nor is it time-consuming.

I rate the ease of setup for Teradata a one out of five.

There are add-ons that you can purchase, such as special features. Teradata likes to sell an industry logical data model that's customized for just about every industry they have clients in. That is an extremely expensive add-on, but it does give you a step up in getting your logical modeling created. They've also done some work towards being able to go from logical to physical in an automated fashion with that ILM.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata is being used on-premise, but we're moving to the cloud and I don't know that we'll retain Teradata further. We might be switching to the Google platform and their native databases.

Make sure that your data volumes are large enough for it and that you follow their standards. The modeling for Teradata is slightly different than anything else out there. Match your primary indexes if you can. These PI-to-PI joins are incredibly fast, even with massive amounts of data. I've worked on Teradata installations in the petabyte range.

I rate Teradata a nine out of ten.

Data Architect, Section Head at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Good data warehousing, scalable, and offers good functionality
    • "The functionality of the solution is excellent."
    • "I'm not sure about the unstructured data management capabilities. It could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data warehousing.

What is most valuable?

The loading time of the solution is quite good.

What really impressed me is their approach to design the data warehouse. It's very different from other solutions. They have their own methodologies for doing things, and they can come up with a very solid and good design that can stand the test of time.

The functionality of the solution is excellent.

The solution can scale.

It's quite a stable product.

On the product side, I don't think anyone can actually beat them with data warehousing.

What needs improvement?

They should, I think, try to do more of this open-source initiative to encourage more people to use it. Otherwise, it's my opinion that they might lose our business in the long run.

I've been using the solution for about three years at this point.

As one of the top companies in the world, the solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite good.

Product-wise the scalability and usability, is all excellent. They are the top players in this with their new database. The cloud helps make it so scalable. We're catching up and starting to scale, however, we aren't there yet.

I don't recall if the solution had a complex or straightforward setup. I wasn't part of the process.

I'm not sure if we would want to keep paying for the solution. They should make some of the software a community edition or something like that to encourage more people to use it.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution.

After looking at the recent price drops, they need to offer very good discounts for people that bought it. The value proposition is actually quite good compared to many years ago. For most of the enterprises out there, they're focusing mainly on structure data. This solution ticks that box.

As long as they can control the price incrementally in the future, I think they're a very good strong platform.

I'd rate this product in terms of its functionality, stability, and scalability, as almost perfect. It's a nine out of ten. I don't think there's anything to complain about. It's only the price that's a sticking point for us.

Test Engineer at cigniti
    Easy to set up and reliable with good performance capabilities
    • "I've never had any issues with scalability."
    • "Apart from Control-M, it would be nice if it could integrate with other tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the EDW.

What is most valuable?

The performance is the key item we appreciate. We're able to easily trigger jobs and we have access to integrations for running jobs. It's easy to use for the most part, which is why I really like it.

It's stable and reliable.

I've never had any issues with scalability.

The initial setup is pretty simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

Apart from Control-M, it would be nice if it could integrate with other tools. Specifically, with respect to the integrations with the automation tools, if that can be increased, and if the tester could be able to test more automation scripts in a better way it would help. The efficiency could always be increased.

Occasionally, at the outset of the implementation process, we struggled a little bit.

I've only used the solution for a few months. It hasn't been a year yet. It hasn't been that long.

The stability has been good so far. It's reliable and the performance is good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution seems to be scalable. I've never run into any issues with sizing. It's good.

I cannot recall the exact number of users that are on this solution currently.

Technical support is quite good. We used them once or twice and, as I recall, their response was always very quick. We are quite satisfied with the level of service they offer.

For the most part, the initial setup is good. We found it pretty straightforward. That said, sometimes, in the beginning, we struggle.

For us, the deployment took around two hours. It didn't take too long.

We had about ten members on the technical team that handled deployment and maintenance.

We are able to handle the initial setup ourselves. As long there are not some prerequisites or system issues, then it's possible for us to handle everything.

I don't have any direct details about the licensing or pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. It might be a previous version.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We are quite pleased with its general capabilities.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    It has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running
    • "Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running."
    • "Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata is primarily for data warehousing at large customers, like banks, retailers, and government organizations. However, we don't use Teradata for Russian government organizations because it's a US tool, and the Russian government doesn't allow foreign software.

What is most valuable?

Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running.

What needs improvement?

Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle.

They should diversify their sales channels and develop more resellers. Teradata could also be more active in marketing because I rarely see any Teradata events in Russia. They've always had several regional conferences for Teradata users, but I hardly ever see marketing events geared toward new customers.

I've been working with Teradata for 11 years.

One of Teradata's biggest advantages is that it's fully scalable

We usually don't have any problems with Teradata itself. However, sometimes customers have issues with applications they've written themselves that aren't adequately designed to fully utilize Teradata's capabilities.

I would not say the setup is too complex. Teradata has a direct sales model, so Teradata employees usually set it up with help from the customer because they don't support a big system of resellers or partners. It's pretty easy because they are actively involved in the deployment. But later on, when the customer is expanding the solution and doing many things themselves, they make mistakes, which should be corrected using the support resources of Teradata.

Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata eight out of 10. Customers need a certain amount of knowledge to correctly use Teradata when running their applications on the platform. They should also keep in mind the requirements for Teradata's features.

Nelson Vargas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Project Leader at NOUX C.A.
    MSP
    A great solution for business analytics, cloud products, and consulting
    • "It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up."
    • "It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data."

What is our primary use case?

We resell Teradata, but not in the cloud.

Currently, our experience with Teradata in the cloud is theoretical as we haven't started selling it to our customers yet; however, a few of our customers are interested in migrating to a cloud-based solution.

Our clients use Teradata to consolidate corporate data to provide reports. These reports are required every day — it's more like described analytics.

What is most valuable?

Our customers are very happy with the configuration. It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up.

What needs improvement?

It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data. In other words, there should be a process that makes advanced analytics easier.

The integration capabilities could be improved.

They should improve their marketing to make it easier to sell to customers.

I have been using Teradata for roughly five years.

Stability-wise, I don't recall any of our customers having a problem with Teradata. They have never mentioned any issues relating to bugs or glitches.

There are a few options that are very interesting related to the cloud. You can go into the same environment and add more nodes throughout it. As I mentioned, we don't have much experience with Teradata on the cloud, but I think it's the way of the future.

Their technical support is great. On a scale from one to ten, I would give them a rating of ten.

The initial setup is very easy.

Deployment takes a couple of weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Teradata to other interested companies. It's really easy to use thanks to the simple configuration.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Teradata a rating of ten.

HakimMoussaoui - PeerSpot reviewer
    Big data administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Fast response times, easy to use, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use Teradata in our data warehouse and we extract data. We have a data department that uses many tools for data extractions.

What is most valuable?

Teradata has good performance, the response times are very fast. Overall the solution is easy to use. When we do the transformation, we have all of our staging and aggregation data available.

What needs improvement?

Teradata could improve by providing better training. For example, Oracle provides good overall training. It is not easy to find information on the internet.

I have been using Teradata for approximately eight years.

The solution is stable. However, there are times when we are using large amounts of data and we can see some latency issues.

Teradata is scalable. We have two large servers and if we need to add new servers it can be done. Additionally, adding hard drive space or more performance is not a problem.

We have approximately 15 users using this solution in my organization.

The technical support is good but they could improve because sometimes they can take two weeks to resolve issues.

The implementation took approximately one month.

We did the implementation of Teradata using their support.

The price of the solution could be reduced, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Teradata a nine out of ten.

Download our free Teradata Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022